Does breastfeeding help you lose weight?

I understand that breastfeeding is supposed to help you lose some weight but does anyone ever feel like they want to eat more after feeding? I feel like I’m always hungry and have gained weight because I don’t get much exercise. I need to follow a gluten free diet per doctors orders (prior to my pregnancy) but I don’t always follow during to cost and available options. Any suggestions to help fill me up? Also trying to keep supply?

1 Like

I couldn’t lose the weight because I had to eat extra to produce enough and if I worked out, it severely hurt my supply.

Thats what they say. But the amount of calories you have to eat to keep up your supply is insane!! I wouldnt eat that on a normal day lol

1 Like

I can not, for the life of me, eat enough. Im used to over eating. I eat until im full. But because im breastfeeding there is not an amount of food that i have consumed that even relatively make me feel content. Not full. Just content. So i feel ya. Its infuriating.

I started losing a lot of weight, around 25 lbs. Until I got birth control and gained it back​:sob::sob:

I could not lose all my baby weight for the life of me while breastfeeding. It was unreal. I was starving, and I couldn’t feel satisfied unless I’d eaten carbs. Otherwise I was still hungry. I quit breastfeeding and was hoping to lose some weight then, but found out that I’m pregnant again. Lol. I guess it’s just not the time for weight watching

1 Like

i never lost any weight from breast feeding. and my daughter is 9 months and i still am breast feeding. i’ve lost 15 lbs from working out and eating a strict meal plan

It really depends on your body, I breastfeed my son and have been having trouble getting back to my normal healthy weight, I’m underweight by like 20 pounds and can’t gain it back for the life of me, I am hungry a lot and eat 3 meals and 3 snacks every day, I’ve had no issues at all with my milk supply, one think I eat to keep my supply up is I have a bowl of oatmeal every morning, usually I mix it with yogurt, and put some berries and sliced almonds on top, I eat that for breakfast every morning

I lost a crazy amount of weight after nursing all of my babies. It depends on what you are eatting and how much you produce. Try to eat healthy snacks throughout the day. It didnt show until after 1 year. But your body is still adjusting after the changes.

I only weighed 10 lbs more after giving birth, than I did when I got pregnant. Since then I’ve gained at least another 10 lbs while breastfeeding. I can’t stand how big my appetite is now…

It’s actually a common myth that you’ll lose weight while breastfeeding. Your body is feeding 2 people so it needs everything it can get. If you are hungry eat. Not eating won’t help you or baby

I was starving alll the time. But I did lose weight fast. Just eat healthy snacks, smoothies and granola bars!

1 Like

If it is costing you more to eat gluten free then you are eating the wrong types of food. Get rid of processed junk food.

I was starving all the time and ate, but I lost 20 lbs in the first 6 weeks.

I eat and drink so much more while breastfeeding. I also get tired so much easier