Does instacart pay well?

So my husband and I both work full time. He has a great job and makes good money. I don’t make as much as him, but enough to help get bills covered and have some left. But I have recently thought about leaving my job and doing something like door dash or insta cart (possibly both). We have discussed it and he is okay with it, but I’m worried about it not paying as good as I have seen or heard people talk about. We have 4 children and I feel like door dashing will give me more flexibility with the kids. Am I crazy for considering this? Has anyone else done this and how did it work out?

23 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Does instacart pay well? - Mamas Uncut

Depending on the jobs you accept yes. Be picky.

I had a blast doing doordash and made pretty good money as long as you do it right. Going a dashers group on Facebook to get the tips and tricks to making a good living off of it.

It’s a hit or miss and it’s not really worth it with the gas prices right now. Some days I would make $200 Instacart if and other days $30.

With inflation and gas prices how much longer do ya think people are gonna be able to afford deliver to the house food? With food shortages coming how long do you think restaurants will be able to get shipments? They already don’t have chicken at Bojangles…js

1 Like

We do it, it used to be great but it’s gotten a little rough depending on the area you dash with tips. Gas prices are also through the roof but if you do it mostly in the afternoons for a bit at dinner rush or weekends are nest then you can make some potentially good money just keep in mind your gas, car repair costs and the hit and miss days

I think the wear and tear on your vehicle, the difficulty to keep records for tax purposes, cost of fuel, is not worth it. I do deliveries for a little extra, the pay is very minimal

1 Like

Not worth it with the gas prices

Ya you’re crazy for considering it. Lol. Gas prices aren’t worth it. What you use in gas, youll break even with doordash. People are cheap AF.

Based on the comments, I suspect it’s highly location dependent.

2 Likes

Definitely good for flexibility, but pay sucks $10-$15 an hour on a good night
After paying for gas and car care, it’s not worth it

Amazon flex is pretty awesome though, see if they are hiring in your area. We occasionally bring our kiddos with us

I would strongly consider all the pros and cons. Right now with gas prices and inflation I would be very careful. I hope you find something that suits you and your family. Times are tough right now

I do Instacart. It can be ridiculous sometimes. Like they want you to do three different people’s groceries for like 15$ and deliver. It ends up taking a couple hours. Then sometimes the batches are far away with little pay. Not something you can do full time to pay bills sadly. It’s nice side money if you have to time.

If you’re in a city where you could possibly deliver with a bike, scooter, walk, etc. I think maybe it’d be worth it. But honestly with the wear & tear on the car, rising gas prices along with rising food costs, I don’t think it’d be worth it. I think keeping your actual job would be smarter/better. You could always see if your job would let you be part time, or more flexible with your hours. We can’t make your decision, but I don’t think it’s smart this year. I would’ve done that last year, or such

2 Likes

Definitely goes by location I did it in 2020 and at the time was well worth it for sure the gas prices maybe be crazy right now but good money can still be made I did order after order I did huge batches I would always set a goal for myself and try doing up to 23 a day I did huge order’s too bj’s sam’s costco publix and I would also do more than one service order at a time be done before time I’d do my best at being a five star shopper ratings were excellent so was well worth it for me I was surprised myself how much I made off doing it in less than a year.

Bro let’s be real. Where do you live. What vehicle do you drive. Are you accommodating. Do your children need care while you go (considering it’s not legal to take them with). We are not the people to ask. This is something you either can or cannot do dependent on circumstances

2 Likes

Instacart never paid me & their is literally no way to contact them.

Not worth any of that with gas prices . Get a second job at Chick-fil-A or Starbucks

3 Likes

Instacart is a good one if you’re in a bigger city. You literally can make asx much money as you want. I will say tho you need to be efficient in the store or you won’t make any money… try it for the weekend mauve and see how you feel

With the gas prices alone right now I wouldn’t even consider it. You need stability more than anything, and jobs like instacart, Uber, doordash, etc… can’t be counted on as 1 job right now. You might be able to do it now, but we really don’t know how far these gas companies are gonna push us.

3 Likes

My son does Door Dash- Not worth the money or the wear and tear on your car

I just started DoorDash and made 54.25 from 6:20pm till 10pm. I also have a full time 10hrs for 4 days and 3 days off. You have to balance because gas prices are very high and with what i made in that period of time i have to put at least 35 to fill it w a quarter tank left after i had a full tank

1 Like

No benifits 401 k and does not meet daily needs walking up and downs steps having to be at a house on time does not include teaffic nope not at all and tips are horrible.

With a family of six I will not leave my job to experiment with something like that, if your salary is necessary to pay bills you should NOT do it , if your husband salary is enough to cover everything and you just can do it to have some extra cash then sure do it .

3 Likes

l get paid over $170 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $19628 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://AmazingWorking593.pages.dev/

4 Likes

Door dash is good for supplemental income but I definitely wouldn’t recommend using it as your main source of income. Between gas prices, slow times/days, customers that don’t tip…there’s too many factors and you can easily make $100 in 2-3 hours work one day and then not be able to make $30 in 4+ hours for the next few days.
Unless you guys don’t NEED the money. If your husband makes enough to keep you afloat and your income is extra then it could definitely be a great option, but if you rely on your income for bills or food I would say probably not the best idea

2 Likes

In a highly populated area, ypu could do well.

2 Likes

It’s really hit and miss. It might not be stable income. Personally, I wouldn’t do it. But if you live in a city where there is high demand for that, it could be worth it. Just depends where you live.

1 Like

I Get paid 0ver $135 per hour working from home. I never thought l’d be able to d0 it but my colleague makes over $ 17870 a m0nth doing this and she convinced me to try. The p0ssibility with this is limitless.
SEE MoRE HERE…>>> https://AmazingOpportunity210.pages.dev

First thing sign up for it before committing to quitting your job play around with doordash. Go online During lunch, dinner see which area tends to be busier or giving bonus (red) and accept a few shifts. Try to stay within that area.

When I first started I didn’t know better so I didn’t do well but after learning few tricks I would easily made over $500 a week working as little as 15 hours. I dash during lunch and dinner only, I go to areas giving bonus and i put that I was on scooter instead of car by doing that I only get order within 5 miles radius. I would also be at home and go online because of where i live everywhere now and then some random order will come to me

2 Likes

l get paid over $170 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $19628 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://AmazingWorking644.pages.dev/

Don’t do it. Gas prices make it seem like you are paying them to deliver stuff.

2 Likes

I’ve started dashing for extra income. Surprisingly enough, I make good extra money and the profit still outweighs the high gas prices, because almost everything I choose is within a 1-5 mile radius. I like it a lot. I’ve joined FB groups with other dashers for tips and some of them make a decent income full time. I think it just depends on your area. I’d try it part time in your location just to get a feel for it and then make your decision.

2 Likes

The way the world is now,sounds like sketchy job

1 Like

I would consider a work from home some sort. I am a Director in Healthcare and I work from home. I have 5 kiddos and I have the flexibility to do stuff with the kiddos. If your income isn’t essential, you could even take a pay cut to work from home due to gas and child care costs.

My husband did this and slowly the burst of income slowed down. It’s become more of a burden than it’s worth. If you have something steady, I don’t recommend leaving it.
The flexibility is nice but gas prices, taxes, wear and tear on the car.
My experience on the other hand hasn’t been good at all.

1 Like

l get paid over $ 153 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $ 18345 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://proworkinfo212.pages.dev/

With gas prices going up it’s getting harder. I DoorDash and instacart in my town their is to many of us. When I started I was making 500.00 to 600.00 lately it’s hard to make 400 with gas and everyone doing door dash in my town.

2 Likes

i would personally keep my job and try it as a side gig and see how it goes. but with the cost of gas right now you may only break even for what you put out as you have to buy there bags and all the gas youll use.

7 Likes

I did this for 3 months and went back to my job because its not worth it…

1 Like

Don’t do it as your only job. Your dependent on people ordering delivery and not competing with other drivers

1 Like

We DoorDash nightly for an hour during dinner rush. Avg abut $40 a day. We don’t take runs that don’t tip at least a gallon of gas unless super close. Last week we did 10 hours and made $298. We take my car since it’s great on gas and I bet use $50 in gas all week driving around doing it. I wouldn’t use this as a substitute for a job though. You got to pay taxes etc too.

3 Likes

Don’t do it. I’ve heard that people offer big tips,then take them off after you deliver the food.Plus,I don’t like shopping for people. If the store runs out of something,and you buy a substitute ,people are never happy with it. Try Doordash instead.

1 Like

I instacart, I actually really enjoy it. The benefit to me is the flexibility to work when I want and always being available for my special needs child. I can take him with me if necessary also. Whether it would be beneficial for you largely depends on where you’re located. You also have to be picky in order to make money. I refuse to take a job that pays less than $25, I also watch miles closely and won’t deliver further than maybe 15 miles. Base pay depends on the order and the distance it’s going to but some customers do not tip. Very few do upon delivery so you wouldn’t want to plan on that happening. My area has a lot of shoppers so sometimes I have to wait for an order, but usually it’s not too bad. I average about $20 an hour. But I really enjoy it. Nothing else enables me to be there at all times for my child.

It depends on the area. You have to be near a big city to make money. I make 600/800 just working the weekends in Seattle.

I’d test run it. Also depends in where you live.

One of my friends said she made $1k a week years ago and I am sure she is making more now on instacart. My other friend does door dash and he makes $1k weekly. As long as you do the work, you’ll be fine.

It doesn’t pay well at all and there’s a 1 hour wait before it will let you do another batch. Being a spark driver does pay better but you’re fighting to get orders to deliver.