Does it hurt to get an IUD taken out?

I had the mirena and i had it taken out and it didnt hurt so much it just felt like a contraction and then it was over my dr was really good and did it fast and i started my period later that day…as far as getting pregnant right after im not too sure about but they say you can start trying right away and she also said start taking prenatals too if i ever wanted to start trying

I got mine out in Feb, aside from a quick lunch/cramping, it was totally fine.
How long it takes to get pregnant depends on your body. If you haven’t had a regular cycle on the IUD, it could take a while for your system to “reset”

They are painless coming out, you may not even feel it at all

My SIL got pregnant within a couple of months after getting hers removed and she never said anything about it hurting

I ended up for this cyst on my ovary from the Mirena IUD so I was in surgery when they took it out so I couldn’t tell you on that one but they said that it did cause assist which I had to do emergency surgery because my ovary was about ready to rupture that was the only thing that scared me about the IUD

Is it mirena? I had my son got mirena and loved it! I decided I wanted another so I had it taken out. Not fun but it’s necessary. 6 weeks latter I found out I was pregnant with twins! This happens ALOT with iuds. Just a warning lol

Didn’t feel a thing when mine was taken out and I was pregnant in less than 6 months.

Mine didnt hurt coming out at all

I will just say to everyone who has no issues getting it out saying that it didnt hurt, well when they cant find the strings and try a different tool to get it out, yes it hurts. Mine fell out at some point. So when I went in to have it taken out it hurt because the couldnt find the strings, so really it all depends on your situation.

My baby was born holding mine. So yes it hurt to take it out. Lol.

I didnt even feel mine come out. I had mine for alil over a year and it made me bleed for months straight in the beginning and was causing cysts and pain and my doctor kept not listening to me and er wouldnt do it unless it was an emergency so my bf did it :woman_shrugging:

Depends on how the Dr put it in! Mine was embedded in my cervix and the new Dr said to just hang on as it may hurt alot.

Nope it’s easy. I got pregnant the day after it got taken out.

It does hurt but only when it’s happening and for a few hours after it’s Abit sore and feels Abit weird but then is fine just don’t have sex that night so it can heal and close up properly

A little discomfort coming out- nothing like going in! I got pregnant 2 weeks after getting it out (not trying). Good luck!

Nope! I had mine taken out. It was a tug and a pinch! Really no pain at all! Mine was a 10 year IUD that was in for 14 years. It didn’t hurt at all. The only reason I had it taken out was because it was so old, it punctured my uterine wall. It still didn’t hurt and I’m a total wimp!

They say you are fertile within one cycle after removal. I’ve had 2 and removal wasn’t necessarily painful but there was cramping for a day or 2 afterward.

Be sure to get lab work AFTER you get it taken out and BEFORE you start trying for a new baby. It definitely can affect the levels of estrogen in your body and that is needed to sub-stain a healthy pregnancy!

No it doesn’t hurt I pulled mine out myself while I was on a period with the consult from my doctor and I got pregnant shortly after

Compared to child birth, it’s easy peasy :wink:
Take Advil 30 minutes before you go in, it helps

Very weird uncomfortable feeling coming out, but I wouldn’t call it pain. Crampy weird feelings for a day, maybe 2 after, but then soooo much better.

It was just a little cramping after ward and I was pregnant a month or two after ,not trying.

I had the Paraguard and it started to make my ovulation hurt after being in for about 5 years so I got it out and it wasn’t too bad just a little pinch and spotting for a day or two.

It’s so much easier to get taken out than put in and no where near as painful

I have had 3 IUDs removed over the years. Little cramping but NOTHING like the pain of having one put in.

I didn’t even feel mine come out when the doctor removed it. I have had one baby and am pregnant with another since having it removed.

I made my husband go with me when I had my first one removed. I thought it was going to hurt. It was a piece of cake. A couple of months later I had a new one put in. That is the appointment he should have been at. Wowie zowie!!

I’ve had the IUD twice now. No issues. I will say it doesn’t hurt to have it removed, but it hurts like a MF to have it inserted.

1 Like

Not as much as it hurts going in. I want mine taken out too.

I have had two taken out does not hurt, easier than going in.

No, but ask for relaxing meds.

It’s as uncomfortable as any vaginal exam. But doesn’t hurt. I had one for 10 yrs after my son was born. I had it removed and another placed. Then 6 years later I had that one removed and got pregnant with my daughter with in a couple days.

Yes, it did hurt but the insert is way worst​:sob::cry:

no it really did not hurt to have it taken out. Good luck to you in trying for another baby.

Didn’t hurt me to get it taken out and I had a healthy pregnancy after

Mine hurt and took my breathe when they took mine out. Ughh

Cough when they take it out. Dont feel it

It pinches and you will have some cramping. Take some ibuprofen and rest.

1 Like

My Mirena IUD disappeared. I was pregnant 10 weeks before I knew.

Lol I got pregnant with my iud

My sister got pregnant with twins soon after hers was removed

It just feels like a menstrual cramp

No doesnt hurt at all

Didn’t hurt me. Hurt more getting it put in.

No, it does not hurt.

Doesn’t really hurt. Like Sha Po - Smith says

No worse then getting it in

The Dr who took mine out was smart. As she was taking it out she told me to cough. I hardly noticed it. I was pregnant shortly after. No worries lady it will be ok :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

I had mine taken out November of 2018 and I had my daughter November 2019. I’ve been using IUD’s since I can remember, I grew up in foster care and i was told I needed it. For me though having the IUD itself removed hurt, but it is a different feeling for everybody my friends also use them and for some it doesn’t hurt at all and some don’t even notice anything.
But wishing you luck and hope you got your answers :blush:

1 Like

The dr pinching mine hurt more. They numb your arm. I just got it taken out a few days ago no bruising. The drs said it was a big possibility to bride tho

Nope! Getting it out is so much easier then it going in. Maybe a tiny little pinch but believe me, you’ll survive.

2 Likes

It was a little uncomfortable for a few seconds, and a little spotting afterwards. I got pregnant about 5 months later. I got another IUD after that pregnancy.

I had the 5 year one. Took it out a couple months after my son turned 4 to try again took us about 5-6 weeks. I didn’t find it painful small pinch.

It’s nothing to get it out. Way easier than having it put in.

It hurt more going in than coming out, shouldn’t affect fertility. Within a month it should return to normal.

Its uncomfortable but for me it was way more painful getting it put in than taken out.

1 Like

I don’t remember if it hurt but I was able to have a baby shortly after getting it taken out(1yr) but I wasn’t trying before then! Hope this helps :slight_smile:

I didn’t get a shot, and it hurt like hell.

Got a skyla iud it doesnt hurt when its taken out. It actually felt better for me. I got pregnant 9 months later

It doesn’t hurt too bad. I got pregnant after a year of trying and had a miscarriage. A month later I got pregnant with my daughter who is now 6.

Super easy. Doesn’t hurt at all. I got pregnant the next month :hushed:

I agree I had one when I was 18, lasted the whole 5 years and it was definitely more painful going in than coming out

It doesnt hurt. You cramp a little after they take it out. After 2 months I found out I was pregnant with my first son.

Mine hurt going in, didnt hurt coming out. Cant say anything about how long it takes to get pregnant after because I only had it a few weeks it just wasn’t working for me.

It doesn’t hurt to have it taken out. We got pregnant 2 months later and miscarried at 16weeks.

Honestly the speculum was the most uncomfortable part of it all :woman_shrugging:t2:

It doesn’t hurt. Just uncomfortable!

It doesnt really hurt at all getting it taken out. They give u a shot so u dont feel it. The only thing u feel is the numbing shot. And alot of girls I know got pregnant right after they got theirs out

It hurts a little bit and it took me 17 months to get pregnant again

Nope! It’s nothing like when it’s being put it!

Its a small pinch when you cough it out.

Doesn’t hurt. Breathe. Pregnant 6 months later

It’s just uncomfortable like getting a pap smear

I didn’t feel a thing