Does teething cause fevers?

My son is almost 14 months old. He is cutting a tooth currently. He has been running a fever for the past two days. He says between 101.4-102.8 being the highest. Medicine only works for about 2-3 hrs. I alternate the Tylenol and Motrin as directed. I took him in to see a doctor he has no ear infections and overall dr said he is fine. He is aware of his fever of course but didn’t comment much on it. Just mentioned allergies. I’m not a doctor by any means but I just feel like there is more to this. I’m aware teething can cause fevers but to 102.8? Also, no other symptoms. He isn’t congested or runny nose, no cough, nothing noticeable which is also odd. He had fever chills today. I did get that to stop. I’m just trying to trust my doctor but seeing how uncomfortable my son is and having to wait to give him more medicine is tough. He gets a fever back before it’s time for another dose. I’m just lost and want my baby to feel better.

6 Likes

Fever will come back when it’s close to another dose. It’s time to worry if the medicine does not get the fever to go down

1 Like

Never ever suspect a fever is from teething. A fever is the bodies way of fighting off infection

My littlest is like that every single time she gets a tooth. I just leave it alone

They don’t get a fever when teething …it’s something else

1 Like

All 3 of mine got fever with every tooth.

Give him cool baths and nice cold treats (a popsicle or jello)im sure its from his teeth coming in. Juat keep ir eye on him. Does he seem lathargic or tired? Overly cranky? Less hungry? Mine both got high fevers with teeth coming in. Hope he feels better soon.

3 Likes

Doctor told me to only worry if its above 103 for more than 3 days. The fever is completely normal. My daughter use to physically get sick every time a tooth would come in.

Cool cloth on his forehead when he’ll tolerate it and wait it out. Keep alternating Tylenol and Motrin every 3 hours.

1 Like

We were told a fever under 100 would be teeth but a fever over 101 is an infection. We just felt with this our 18 month is getting 4 molars and 2 eye teeth fever was 101 to 103.7 dr said it’s not her teeth it was a viral infection went away in 3 days we just treated the symptoms

Yeah that sounds about right the doctor want give you medicine unless your son has an infection. Leave your baby un dress just leave is dipper on him it will help. And for the congested and runny nose you just rub baby Vick on his feet and put socks on him when he goes to bed and on rub some on his chest as well you can use a cool mist humidifier that will be a big help. Hope your baby feels better soon

Could be fighting off a bug too, keep hydrated with cold water or pedialyte and frozen fruit pops!

I swear by teething tablets. They’re little white dissolvable. I heard a higher temp for a baby is normal… I’m not a doc but that’s what I hear. Try to tablets. Good luck.

1 Like

Did he check for the flu?

My daughter had a febral seizure while teething with high temp.

1 Like

I personally would get another opinion just to be safe he could have a uti

Did the swab for flu or strep? My daughter has tested positive for strep twice in the last 2 months and had no symptoms beside not acting like herself and a very high fever that was not controlled with Tylenol or Advil for more than 36 hours. Pedialyte pops are great for fevers and teething and will help with hydration.

1 Like

5mls of tylenol then rotate. Wet a rag and place on top of the babys head removing everything but a diaper, place a cool sheet around the baby yes the fever is going to break and come back. Mine is 16 months old and has all of his teeth, thisnworks.better than any bath.

Give the baby cool things to drink, I seriously just put a bowl of water beside a chair and keep a rag cool not cold but cool on his head. Also alcohol bath…rubbing alcohol all over his upper body.

I think you should get a second opinion. Something sounds off. A fever that high sounds like infection.

3 Likes

That’s a high fever for such a young age and I agree with above comments about possibly causing seizures if it continues. If it is still happening, take him to the ER and get another opinion.

Teething can cause a fever that high as well as rashes, but also a child could not have an ear infection one day and have one the next. I have two little ones who have problems with ear infections.

1 Like

When mine son was cutting his jaw teeth he slept and ran a bad temp I honestly thought it was the flu. I had never seen him act like that. I took him to the dr also to make sure nothing more was going on because his dad we locked in the bedroom for a week because of the flu. I thought maybe he had caught that. That wasn’t the case it was just those teeth. After 2-3 days he was back to himself!!

My 2nd daughter had fevers of 102-104 with teething she had no other symptoms. Tylenol didnt bring it down after 20 minutes it went up 2 degrees. They always say it cant be their teeth but hers was with a certain molar. She even had gum hematoma with that one.

He most likely has a viral infection that only time fluids and rest can help.

My kids have had fevers as high as 102.5 for teething with no other issues. It happens

Put him in a cool tub, plenty of toys, or bubbles, give him a Popcycle. You can fudge on the time for the tylenol. As its every four hours and if your alt. Motrin, your really giving tylenol every 8 hours. So 1 hour early or so ok. Some Drs. Will say you can use both every four hours but im not suggesting that.

My youngest temp would shoot up a lot when he was teething and I knew there was nothing the drs could do about it… I used teething tablets to help numb his gums and I would get a wash cloth and get it damp with cool water and place it on his head to help bring the temp down… It helped

Son just got over something similar was told it was a virus that had to run its course, he has allergies as well so it felt like double the pain…was told teething doesn’t cause a temp over 102 only viruses and infections… lots of fluids, rest, and if in pain keep alternating medicine if you feel necessary (wouldn’t do it only if temp gets higher than 102… temps aren’t a enemy it’s the bodies natural way to fight against viral and bacterial infections)… I’d only dose with medicine if the child is absolutely miserable and if it’s high not low grade… and only a issue if you dose and the temp doesn’t go down

1 Like

Eh, totally sounds like teething to me. All of my kids have gotten high fevers like that. If it lasts for a week or more then definitely get a second opinion.

Those 1 year molars are hard to cut through. Keep up with meds and give plenty of pop cycles. If fever last more than 3 days take babe back to doctor. Good luck momma

Get citrizine for the “allergies” it will clear up in a day or two. Still give the pain relievers too.

102 seems high for teeth. If his ears are fine its probably just a virus. Try not to medicate unless it gets higher or if babe seems uncomfortable.

1 Like

Allergies do not cause fevers

This happened to my son, only symptom was high fever and then a few days later he broke out in a crazy rash and ended up having roseola.

You can give the Motrin and Tylenol on top of each other. For example if you give him Motrin then two or three hours later his fever is back you can give the Tylenol right away. You don’t have to wait the six or four hours unless giving the same kind of medicine. You have to wait six hours to give Motrin again and you have to wait four hours to give Tylenol again. But both can be taken together or once the fever/uncomfortable feelings come back. I’m not sure but I’m guessing it’s probably a viral something and he will be fine. I know it’s hard when they are sick but if you’ve ruled out ear infection, throat, etc. then not much to do but wait it out. Good luck! :four_leaf_clover:

Take him to a hospital. A childrens hospital if there is one close to you.! Not to alarm you or anyone on there but someone here had a toddler (2 or 3 years) and thought she was okay because it was just a fever and waited to take her in and the next morning she wouldnt wake up and her child passed that same day in the childrens hospital. It’s no joke with anything anymore. And adult just passed away yesterday because his doctor passed his illness off as a sinus infection. I don’t trust any normal doctors now. :disappointed: please go get that baby looked at just to be safe.

Our bodies have fevers for a reason it makes it to where no infection or bacteria can thrive. Too much tylenol & you’ll stretch it out & make him more miserable. If your doctor said it was no big deal & wasn’t concerned i wouldn’t fret over it.

Tylenol and Advil can be given at the same time

Is he getting enough water?

Books do not tell all