Does your 4 year old have a TV in their room?

Whose 4yr olds have a TV in their room? I’m back and forth with it. We got a new TV, and nothing is wrong with the older one. My son is super independent and gets out of bed in the morning and makes his juice and breakfast, and turns on his shows. I would much rather he stay in his room instead of wandering or could wander. I mean, he is 4!

51 Likes

Nope, none of us have TV’s in the bedroom. Including us as parents

8 Likes

All my kids have a tv in their room. 15,10, 4,2 the little ones share a room and they fall asleep to the tv being on. That’s a dad habit that I hate but just picked my battles on.

My 4 yr old and 1 yr old share a room, and they have one in their room :woman_shrugging:t2:

My kids have no tv they are 10/8&3 no tv until they are probly 13/14 in their rooms

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a bad thing. If he is already getting up and turning the TV what’s the difference? If locking himself in his room 24/7 with the TV that would be an issue

My 3&4 year old do but only for movies to settle down for bed while I get cleaning done

My kids didn’t have TVs in their room until they started college

3 Likes

My children (7&3) have had one in their rooms their entire lives. Just because the television is in there, it doesn’t mean it has to be used all the time. My girls use their’s primarily on weekend nights and when they’re up too early in the morning.

5 Likes

My kids had a tv in their rooms at that age

No he would mess around with it when he’s supposed to be resting

1 Like

My boys have always had a TV in their room. As long as you establish rules and he’s willing to follow them then I would let him have one.

1 Like

My 4 year old does however, she has only used it once and that was the day we got it. She prefers the living room tv more which is okay with me.

Nope, I refuse TVs in bedrooms in my house. I have horrible insomnia and my daughter is developing it herself.

We put a tv with a DVD player in there. Movies only. No cable or streaming services.

1 Like

Who cares what other people do or think. Do what works for you and your family. Everyone will do different.

6 Likes

My 2 and 10 year old both have TVs in their room. The little one barely uses hers and the oldest is alloted a certain time a day for the TV in her room.

Yes. He has a smart TV. Deff helped alot

My 3 year old has one in her room. She never watches it though. She prefers her toys.

None of my kids do, but they do have a playroom with a TV so they go in there in the monring, I dont like tvs in the kids bedroom but that is personal preference

All 6 of my kids have tvs in their rooms hell they all have xbox and nintendos in their room. They are 9months (only has tv right now) 4 8 11 15 16 and they all know they have time limits of their stuff

1 Like

My children have one. They just got theirs about 2 years ago. Ages 13, 10, 9 and 5. They basically have it on during the night. Noise helps them sleep better apparently. They’ll wake up and watch it instead of venturing through the house. Get up, go potty, then back to their rooms until I wake up.

I don’t the problem with it really just set an alarm and sleep mode for certain times so he will go to bed

Nope. My kiddos are 8 & 12 now.

1 Like

No harm. You can always set it on a sleep timer so it won’t keep him up all night.

We do not have TVs in our bedrooms. My son has a tablet and will use it before sleeping though.

1 Like

Yes. Night time I use for lullabies. Helps with them being scared of the dark. And they chill in the morning on kids netflix till I’m up and about for less than an hour.

I know you’re question is tv based, but I want to add my 4 year just got a cd player/radio in his room for Christmas and his time alone in his room has doubled! Just a suggestion if it’s screen time you are worried about.

1 Like

My little one has a tv at age 2. She only ever watches it as part of the bedtime routine. We lay in bed as her “down time” to get relaxed and watch a couple episodes of peppa pig or blippi while snuggling and then turn it off and she goes right to sleep.

2 Likes

Your 4 year old makes his own breakfast while you’re sleeping?
Maybe you need to set an alarm on your phone or something

15 Likes

My kids do. It’s the first thing to go when they aren’t listening. My husband will remove the tv completely from the wall and leave the cords so the can see it gone and wish it was there :joy:

1 Like

My 4 year ild and 4 month old share a room and yes there is a tv

1 Like

My kids have always had one and struggle to fall asleep without some type of technology. I highly recommend not putting a TV in your child’s room until they are older and have well developed sleep habits

1 Like

Nope. No TV in the bedroom for our 8 year old.

3 Likes

Yes but its and older tube TV with DVD and vcr

Yes my daughter does, nothing wrong with it as long as you monitor there usage, and turn the blue light off so it doesn’t hurt there eyes, you can always take the remote and put it high on the wall so they can’t reach :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

My 4 kids have a tv in there room they turn it low and they get it on the new station and fall a sleep and then we turn it off and then they get up in the morning and turn it on and watch there shows :slight_smile: I would just make sure your little one don’t clime or anything knows the rules of the tv of course so it don’t fall

1 Like

Sort of what is wrong with society and this generation of kids. We see it in schools as teachers. Too much technology and screen time. Kids don’t know how to be bored or use their imagination anymore. A TV in a room at 4 years old?? No one gets up with the child in the AM?? That is a tad scary. Try some toys, books, coloring items, etc…

49 Likes

My son had a tv with roku and dvd player in his room from birth (would out lullabies on when he started sleeping in his room for naps at a few weeks old and then bed after a few months) and then little after a year old he started watching kids shows on pbs kids app on roku or Daniel tiger/ land before time/etc DVDs and then by 2 we had an offer through our phone company for a tablet for $20 a month so we got that for him and got rid of the tv only cause the tv screen had crapped the bed as it was an older tv we found in our basement when we moved into the place. Now at 3 he watched his little shows to go to bed and falls asleep by 11 pm at the latest (we have a weird schedule as dad works later night and he likes trying to stay awake for dad) his tablet keeps him occupied until I am woke up by hearing it through the baby monitor and only when he hears me walk by his room hell come out with me on the couch. Or he may go to the kitchen for a drink and go back to his room till im up.

6 Likes

No, used to until they started sneaking tv all night! They are 7 and 9.

1 Like

My 6 year old doesn’t even have a tv in their room we tried letting him stay up a little later and we turned on a sleep timer and after the tv turned off he was supposed to go to his bedroom. Well he’s turn the TV back on… so we took away the tv remotes from the living room TV because he started sneaking in there at 3am to watch tv. So no ours doesn’t because we can’t trust him with the responsibility to leave it turned off

1 Like

My kids are 9,6,4 and they have tvs in their rooms. It’s easier for them to watch kids shows in their rooms instead of driving me crazy with a non stop paw patrol marathon.

They just know they have to shut it off at a certain time

4 Likes

My son is 6… he’s had a tv in his room since he was 4… it’s definitely nice in the mornings. He gets up and watches tv quietly in his bedroom until we get up. But we have a clock in there as well. And he’s not allowed to turn it on until 7am. We’re usually up shortly after that. Best to set a time for when they’re allowed to use it. I know my son was getting up at like 530 to watch it. That was a big hell no. So we had to start the time thing. I’d recommend it.

2 Likes

Get up with him because hes 4

17 Likes

My kids have always had TVs in their rooms… 4&5 yr olds have one… 7yr old has one and my 10yr old.

1 Like

My 3 year old got one for Christmas, now she spends all of her time in her room. I put a baby gate up and when she gets up she wakes me up I get her breakfast and she goes back to her room and watches TV while I catch some more zzz’s.

1 Like

My daughter does, and has for awhile. But the child won’t go in her room so it never gets used :roll_eyes:

Ummm unless you wanna watch cartoons every freaking morning, yes

1 Like

My daughter is almost 2 and has one. Only gets used when daddy is watching something in the living room and she wants something specific

Mine are 13, 5, and 3. They have tv’s. I put on sleepy time music at night.

2 Likes

Mine are 2 and 5 they share a room and a ruku TV they have

2 Likes

No my 17 yr old doesn’t have a tv either my pediatricians always said TV are a big NO for kids rooms

11 Likes

We do, we had one in there with our kids since they were 2. Just monitor how much screen time they get and everything be fine

My oldest got a tv in his a room this past March, he was 18, a senior in high school, and that was only because of covid lockdown. My 16yo and 14 yo still don’t have TVs. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

My daughter has a TV and her tablet since she was 4 she is 6 now

My son has one but isn’t aloud to touch it, I get up with him (as any parent should with young kids) and I turn it on for him to watch his shows while I can use the one in the lounge room right next to his room

In my opinion It sounds like your little one would do great with one. Give him a trial run & see how it goes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m shocked at how many moms are to lazy to get out of bed in the morning and be parents. The TV is not a sitter.

17 Likes

Nothing wrong with the tv at that age but wandering the house at 4yrs old and getting own breakfast while u sleep​:grimacing::woman_facepalming:

6 Likes

When my 5 yo was 4 she microwaved an eggo for 10 minutes. Found a black puck in there lmao. I wouldn’t trust a 4yo to make their own breakfast alone. Even montessori is supervised isn’t it

5 Likes

My kids 4&2 have a TV in their room. It only streams when I put it on wifi and has a VCR attached to it. It is out of reach and I have the remote so they dont have all access to it

My 4&2 year old have a tv in their room

3 Likes

Mine have always had TVs in their rooms, they get turned off when they go to bed

1 Like

My 4 year old has a tv in his room. I put it on for him at night. He likes the background noise and will fall asleep watching peppa pig lol. When he wakes up he climbs in my bed and watches tv in my room. I always get up shortly after to get him breakfast.

2 Likes

My kid has had one in her room since she was three. She’s 5 now.
We only have one living room area with a TV. So she can go in her room and watch her things when we’re using the tv.
The smart tv we got her has the option to set parental controls and timers if thats what you’re looking for. It has a fire stick built in with alexa. So we downloaded netflix and the other apps we have right to the tv. Worth it.

My guess is he will still get up for food, my girls like to eat right away so they get a granola bar or dry cereal (you could keep these close by his cup in the morning if he has one) before I make the house breakfast. As for a tv we have one in the playroom not bedroom but it’s all up to you! Just be carful he wouldn’t knock it down on himself that’s all I would be afraid of. But I worry to much lol

Nope. I like our bedrooms to be our sanctuaries and our getaways from technology.

6 Likes

My son is 4 and he doesn’t have a tv in his bedroom but I do have one in the playroom that he uses

1 Like

My son has had a tv in his room since the day he was born. Always out of reach and secure. I would play cds in the DVD player or through my old Apple TV I put in. Now at 5 he knows how to operate the Apple remote to put on paw patrol. I still monitor his tv time. (I have the remotes at all times. So he has to ask me first.)

2 Likes

My 7 year old doesn’t have a tv yet although we have a spare one she would still sleep in my bed if she could n as soon as she gets up she still gets me up

Yes & no. I co sleep with my 4 year old, but I Don’t let her watch tv in bed because it will keep her wired lol :laughing: plus, I like to monitor what she watches.
But I don’t judge anyone who allows it! (:

None of my kids have TVs in their room. :woman_shrugging: They don’t need that kind of stimulation as they fall asleep. I also like that we can use TV time as a family and sit together if we watch it since we only have 1 TV.

5 Likes

I dont see anything wrong with him having a tv in his room. Why not.

2 Likes

Umm… no!

I am shocked — SHOCKED!! — by how many 4 year olds & younger have TVs in their rooms!

Like I mean, my 4 year old watches TV and all but it wouldn’t even occur to me to even think for 1 second to put one in her room!

12 Likes

Mine does, and she has a DVD player with Netflix and its only logged into her kids section.

2 Likes

Mine has had one since he was one

3 Likes

He’s 3 and has a TV on in the background when he sleeps.

4 Likes

No. My kids did not have TVs in their rooms growing up. No video games either.

2 Likes

Mine has one in her playroom… she actually sleeps with me now that her father left us… and my 16 year old has her own room… no TV for her

My kids are 4 and 2. We have a TV in the playroom and that’s it. I find my kids watch enough TV as is, no need for them to have one in their room

My 5 year old has had 1 in her room since she was 3. She can only watch dvds on it tho. A timer gets set at bedtime so tv goes off.

1 Like

I guess it really depends on you as a parent. Most parents who don’t easily judge us parents that do, but I can guarantee you, it’s great for my 2 year old. She’s always listened to lullabies since she was a baby, so she has a tv in her room that way at night, she can listen to her lullabies to fall asleep. Most people will tell you how you’re “killing your child’s brain cells”, but having a tv in their room doesn’t do such. My 2 year old is advanced past most of the other children her age, and it’s from her watching learning shows on her tv. It’s really up to you, though.

If I may edit my post, I don’t think the concern is your 4 year old having a tv in their room, but rather that you have your 4 year old making their own breakfast. Great for you being up there helping, but it sounds like you’re just looking for a babysitter while your 4 year old tends to himself/herself.

6 Likes

As long as you stay away from the falling asleep while watching tv thing, you shouldn’t have any issues!

My 6 and 5 year old have a small roku tv in their rooms. Although remote always goes missing and it gets shut off by a certain time and they never use it during the day.

All of my boys have tv’s in their rooms ( 8,7 in one room 2 and 1 in the other room) but they are only allowed 1 show a day and 1 show before bed. I keep the remotes put up the rest of the time.

1 Like

Each home is different, no, my kids don’t have tv in there room that’s a place to asleep not a place to keep up watching all night and no sleep. If you wouldn’t want him walking around the house, get up with him he’s only 4 not 14

4 Likes

My son will be 5 in February and has had a tv since about 6 months old in his room! And my other son is 1 gonna two at the end of February and has had a tv always also!

4 Likes

My 9 year old has had one since she was 4, for the same reason, to keep her from wondering when she woke up before the crack of dawn & told her she could watch TV until “the sun’s awake” (sunrise). A Roku with apps to kids account Netflix & Disney only. My 3 yr old doesn’t have her own TV yet, but I’m tempted for the same reasoning. However we don’t watch too much during the day anyway and rarely at night. I also am not one to judge, do whatever works for your kiddo & family. As long as our kids are happy right?

4 Likes

Screens don’t belong in bedrooms. Beds do.

7 Likes

We only have one TV in the living room. No TV in the bedrooms. But my daughter has a tablet she can watch Netflix on she only uses in her room sometimes

1 Like

My 19month old has one in his room has since he was a baby went from a 1b/1b to a camper to our grandparents house and to our now own place that’s a 2b/1b and still has a tv

3 Likes

Jesus Christ!! These comments are shocking and proves what is wrong with society! :confounded: I would never put TV’s in any of my five children’s rooms. It’s lazy parenting to let a device entertain your child, and irresponsible to give them free reign of what and how much they want to watch!
My kids are given TV time, sure, but also have a playroom with a Switch and computer and a LEGO city to play with, on top of the toys in their own rooms. We make them go outside to play each day, read and spend individualized time with each according to their interests. Any TV or YouTube time is limited and supervised!

12 Likes

The mom shaming on here is fierce!

6 Likes

First thing it is not safe tv give out a gamma radiation second we will have another dum kid

5 Likes

My 16 month old has one in her room. I mean it was more for storage and it’s not hooked up :woman_shrugging:t2: lol

1 Like

Had a room with 3 sister’s and we had an old 80s tv lol we also lived in a 2 bedroom house at the time!

My 3 year old has one, but she watches it only when I am downstairs doing laundry or something. If not she comes upstairs and plays in her playroom, which does not have a TV. She doesn’t get her own breakfast though. Or control the remote…it’s nice to not hear baby shark on repeat sometimes :sweat_smile:

No. My daughter is 6 years and I don’t have a TV in any of the bedrooms. The blue light emitted by screens can interfere with your brain’s production of melatonin at night, making it harder for you to fall asleep. Best would be no screen time before he has to sleep, but like you said its more for the morning when he gets up.

1 Like

My daughter has had a tv in her room since she was 3 and she is now 7. Rule is no tv while in bed on weeknights but can watch it during weekends.

Mine does. You do what works for YOU!

1 Like