Dog drama help me out

Check your local laws on abandonment. Take whatever steps are required. Once you’ve done this, ask her about keeping the dog. If she says yes, put it in writing. If she says no, proceed with the abandonment process for the dog. Hopefully it will work out in your favor and the dogs. Best of luck!

2 Likes

Keep the “family dog”

1 Like

It sounds like she’d be glad to let you have it.

3 Likes

that’s your dog she ain’t arsed about it

If you had to goto court, you would get too keep dog

Keep all messages between her and all recipients ect. And let her take you to court more then likely she won’t spend the money to do that but if she does you have all your recipients, ect.

1 Like

I’d just stop communication with the owner and consider the dog yours :grin:

3 Likes

Foster means just that and it’s supposed to be temporary. Not her fault you got attached. If you couldn’t handle the possibility of that and the whole situation then you shouldn’t have ever taken the dog. That’s your problem for not “thinking” before taking it. This person isn’t here to defend themselves to your accusations of ignoring her dog for her own hygiene. The vet should’ve been taken care of by her but again not her fault you didn’t even communicate the dog had to go or went. Get payment through a civil suit if that is your issue but it’s still her dog unless she allows otherwise.

1 Like

Friend of mine went through this as well, except owner rarely sent money for dog food… dog is yours, plain and simple… and if she tries to argue or take you to court, tell her she abandoned the dog, thus it’s yours now… plain and simple

Keep the dog for sure. Her loss

Keep the dog an go get it chipped.

1 Like

You would have to get permission in writing or take her to court to keep the dog. If there is a written agreement stating you are just watching the dog, if you try and keep it you will more than likely be charged for theft

1 Like

Since she’s sent money for care, that can possibly show she hasn’t abandoned it in court. Check local laws first. But also, have a conversation with her. It sounds like she may be relieved to let you take over permanent care. Go about it in the right way, even though she isn’t.

4 Likes

That doggo is now yours. She abandoned it

1 Like

Sounds like the dog is already yours.

contact the girl, ask if she would like to make you the legal owner of the dog, keep all proof, if she says no she doesnt want you to have the dog then tell her all bills will be forwarded onto her and she has 28 days to collect her dog, i know you are concerned about the dog going back but i feel she will not want it back, but try to get it in a text/letter email so you have proof, good luck

8 Likes

I think she’s waiting for you to offer to keep the dog. She’s not too responsible, that’s for sure​:heart::paw_prints:

1 Like

That dog is already yours!!! Enjoy her :heart:

2 Likes

id contact her n tell her that since yall have had the dog for 6 months n yall have fallen in love with her n yall have taken full care of her except the dog food n yall was wondering if she will let ya have her since she doesnt visit or anything else n go from there sounds like abandonment to me to a extent

1 Like

No just start returning any money she sends. You are really good people!

1 Like

She shouldn’t go back

Depending on what state you are in if there’s no written agreement and/or anything stating you are fostering with an end date. After 7 days the dog is yours. Sounds silly but to cover you, talk to someone about the laws with animals and property. Cross your t’s and dot your i’s kinda thing.

6 Likes

BE CAREFUL, animals are not seen and living beings they are seen as property. You could get charged with theft. I’d look up the animal laws in your state.

3 Likes

Keep the dog get rid of previous owner .

She gave it up the dog is yours

Tell her she can come get the dog in 30 days or the dog will become your property and she will be required to reimburse you for all care provided to the dog. But check the laws in ur state. She is still sending some money for care.

1 Like

It’d be too hard for her to retrain her dog anyway especially since you haven’t put her in a kennel. Just ask her if you can keep her.

1 Like

Sounds like she ain’t coming back for the dog anyhow….

2 Likes

Give it back to her. It is not yours. If she doesn’t want it, or chooses to give it up, get it in writing. Court will side with her.

1 Like

You can’t keep that woman’s dog unless she gives you permission if you want the dog just ask her. I asked my friend can she keep my dog for a few months thinking it would only be like 2 months and it’s going on 7months my friend is always busy and never home so I don’t see my dog as much as I would like but that’s still my dog and I want him ik I was like over a month before I saw him but when I go visit he still gets excited to see me but not only that he does a lot if things over there he knows he’s not suppose to do but when I come he still remembers his training. She can sue you if you try to keep her dog without permission because even though she might not visit as often she still sends you money for food therefore she hasn’t completely Abandon him. Just ask it would make it so much easier than trying to kidnap him :roll_eyes:

We were told that here, if we had taken the Dog to the Vet, Also Shot and Licensing records, there would have been a (needed) paper trail that We were Officially tending to what would have been considered OUR Dog.

4 Likes

Yeah. I say after 6 months the dog is used to your family. Displacing her now would only confuse her/him and probably cause issues for her/him

Ask the owner soinds like she don’t want that sweet baby anyway

1 Like

If it was me I would keep the get it fix and chip and the dog is yours… I know that’s how it works in Florida did this with a couple of kitty’s I have.

1 Like

I feel like the dog is already yours!! Just stop contacting her about anything pertaining to the dog. I’m betting you won’t hear anything else from her at all. If she wanted the dog, it would already be back home with her!

1 Like

Stop excepting her money for food and keep that fur baby. If she cared she would have come and seen her. The dog knows you as her family now.:relaxed::heart:

Don’t send the dog back to her. The dog is now yours to love and to love u back. It’s a sign from above that this dog belongs to u. No dog should be in a kennel for extended periods of time.

You already kept the doggie :heart:

Is the dog chipped? If not, keep.

At this point I would send her a certified letter giving her 30 days to either sign papers giving her to you or retrieve her. Unfortunately if she wants the dog back, then you need to give the dog back.

4 Likes

Do not except anymore money from her and keep

4 Likes

Keep track of everything you spend on the dog. If she ever decides she wants the dog back she needs to pay you everything or take you to court either way a judge will give you what she owes you or she’ll decide it’s not worth going to court. I would also get the dog fixed.

4 Likes

Get her spayed and chipped and vetted. It will all be in your name and you will be the rightful owner. Sounds like previous owner is putting her dog last. You are doing all the caregiving and she sounds so disassociated.

3 Likes

You can’t keep it unless she gives permission. Maybe talk to her and explain you realize she’s busy and has alot of other priorities so you and your family would happily keep her but she needs to sign something stating she agreed to this you don’t want it coming back on you

Just ask her if you can keep it or offer to buy it.

Emotionally yes it’s already yours, i there any legality that could take it back? Like AKC ownership or anything of that sort?

Just keep it a person like that does NOT DESERVE that dog back. She was neglecting that sweet anmial and still is by not providing or seeing her. And as far as I’m concerned a few is 3 months and visiting only once is sad.
I had a “best friend” who dumped all her animals for a guy i have her two cats she never visited maybe once as well I paid for everything eve the bet bills and when one got cancer and passed she never paid visited or even cared … so ill tell you this person doesn’t care about her dog like your family does… and she will have to take you to court as all anmial cases like that are a Civil matter.

3 Likes

I’m not a lawyer, but you’ve had the dog for months and taken the dog to the vet. The dog is yours. Just don’t take anymore money from her.

5 Likes

Possession is 9/10s of the law. Keep receipts showing care for the pup, and move on. And if she ever brings it up, give her the bill. :woman_shrugging:t3: she can retrieve the dog when she pays it.

5 Likes

I would contact owner ND tell her she has 3 days to make up her mind if she wants to keep the dog or not. If no response/reply then I would say the dog is yours.

Does she have vet records or tags on her? If not and she didn’t purchase her dog from a place to get paper work she can’t do anything you took her dog to the vet so sounds like she never might have. Tags need renewed I think every three years and Everytime you move.

2 Likes

Keep the dog, clearly she doesn’t deserve such a nice pet. She should be locked in a kennel for 8 to 10 hours.

If she doesn’t have a chip take her to the shelter for a few day and then the day she’s available for adoption show up at 12 am and camp out to adopt her. She’s legally yours then.

2 Likes

Definitely the best home for the dog is with you! Dogs are babies that never grow up! You have to be the voice for this baby! She hasn’t shown any interest in the dog! Stop taking money for food and tell her why! Prayers you get to keep her!

6 months , and only one visit ? I’d say she’s yours. The girl is probably thinking the same thing without saying it

1 Like

You are most definitely giving the best life that she deserves. You are the best choice for her. Do not give her back to someone that doesn’t seem to care.

Ask the girl if you can keep her.

2 Likes

I would send her the vet bill and also the bill for any other items you have had to purchase. Along with the option of just giving you the dog. If she agrees to let you keep it I would make up an agreement and have her sign with a witness so she can not come back later and say you took her dog.

6 Likes

Keep the dog, if she really cared she would make the efffort to visit.

Dogs yours. You have vet bills as proof

3 Likes

She doesn’t have a dog. YOU have a dog. She abandoned it. Send her money back & cut off contact to see if she even notices.

3 Likes

No keep the dog…and write out how long you have had her if you by chance have vet bill she didn’t pay for and other items she hasn’t paid for and if she wants the dog back will need to pay the balance of $$ but she doesn’t need a dog and doubt she would pay…offer for her to sign a paper stating she pays the balance you give her or gives you the dog and it’s no longer hers…the paper isn’t really binding( there’s prob a legal paper you could get to write up a contract of some sort) and do the signing with a notery…I’d look into the legal way to do a contract so it doesn’t come back on you but I’m sure it can be done…a contract where she has a deadline for the payments or balance for her dog or she can sign over the dog…she doesn’t deserve to be a dog owner…here in NC if you feed and water an animal you become legally responsible for the pet…it’s how we got our dog someone abandoned her and the man that abandoned her was in the parking lot I got food and water and called the police on the man for sitting her out thinking it’s illegal or just not right but( the time it took the cops to come the man left )…the cops told me since I fed and watered her she is legally my responsibility now and then suggested calling animal control if I didn’t want to take her home and pay the $25 dollar fee and I said no…I’ll take her home and we tried finding her a home but we ended up keeping her and have had her for about 2 yrs…so if you feeding and watering the dog…and taking it to the vet and paying for it…it’s yours…but I’d look into a legal contract of something about taking possession or owner ship of an item that’s not been paid for or in some sorts abandoned…one visit and you have had her for 6 months…just wow…

That’s your dog now🤷🏻‍♀️

2 Likes

I personally would take the dog, get all updated shots, including rabies, spay her, get ear meds & get a microchip with YOUR name and address.

Do not accept any further payment or communication with the previous owner.

Chances are she won’t look back either, but if she does tell her to take you to court. Then have all documentation, including missed visits & meet her in court. She will lose the dog & have to pay court fees.

She abandoned the dog, as it takes more than dog food money to care for an animal, much the same as a child.

17 Likes

I would contact her and tell her your family really loves the dog and would she be open to you keeping the dog permanently. Given her history of visitation she may surprise you and say yes. It sounds as if she is not that interested in the animal. Good luck.

1 Like

Ask Judge Judy lol. Dont take her money to feed the dog, keep records of everything you spent money on for the pup, keep record of everytime she visited the dog take video showing how happy the pup is in your home. She’s probably getting use to not having the dog. After a short time tell her your keeping the dog, if she gives you a hard time tell her to bring you to court.

2 Likes

I’d just ask her if u can keep her, or give her a deadline to claim dog or forfeit

1 Like

I’d say don’t accept her $ for food anymore and she’s now yours. She isn’t paying for vet bills or anything else and doesn’t care about the dog.

2 Likes

Just ask her if you can keep the dog. Tell her she doesn’t have to send money for food anymore and that if she ever want to see the dog she can come for a visit. Sounds like she doesn’t want the responsibility. It might be a big relief for her.

4 Likes

Stop excepting them money and see where it goes

1 Like

I’d say it’s your dog…by now…she’s moved on with her life now and I wouldn’t contact her for nothing…

2 Likes

Keep the dog and block her on everything! If she shows up at your house call the police there’s nothing she can do now to get the dog back the dog is rightfully yours :heart:

4 Likes

Tell her you are keeping the dog and don’t take anymore of her money.

2 Likes

Look up the animal abandonment laws in your state! I know some states that if you don’t get your animal in 14 days it’s abandonment. If she doesn’t pay for food, vet bills or or anything for what ever specific length of time provided by your state that dog is yours.

4 Likes

You guys just suck :woman_shrugging:t2: how about get more information before you decide that you are so much better than someone else and keep their normal she send money for food maybe you just being selfish and don’t want to give it back just wrong to do because you want to be selfish smh

It is your dog now. I have seen cases like this in the past and proving a record of lack of response, concern, upkeep and breaking previously agreed upon terms sets a case for ownership transfer. Please go back and get a dated list of all communications and payments. She is not being a responsible pet owner whose pet is with a temporary foster at this point. You could cautiously and kindly go about telling her that the dog has become part of your family and that you understand her lifestyle doesn’t seem to support the dog. Offer to become it’s ‘parents’ and she can be the auntie… one easy text and boom … it’s your dog.

Check animal abandonment or have a legal contract written up so you guys can take legal ownership.

I wouldn’t just take the dog I would contact her & state your case. If she says no, tell her she must come & get the dog immediately because
IT IS NOT FAIR TO ANYONE INVOLVED.

3 Likes

Talk to her and tell her you would like to make it permanent. Honest communication is great.

1 Like

Tell her stop sending money and don’t worry about it. That is your dog. Don’t give the dog back if that’s how they are gonna be treated

1 Like

To me it sounds like she didn’t really want the dog in the first place. She made up excuses to get rid of the fur baby so she could do what she wanted to do. Since she basically dodges yall when it comes to money for food and doesn’t come to visit her. I wouldn’t accept anything else from the girl and she’s now yours. She hasn’t paid a vet bill. Y’all have been taking full care of the fur baby so she’s rightfully yours as far as I’m concerned since she pretty much abandoned her! :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Don’t give her back!!!

Unless she has some type of paperwork stating she owns the dog, theres not really much she could do if she tried to get the animal back. Get him microchipped with your info and it’s a done deal. Even if she got law enforcement involved, they’d say without physical proof it’s a civil issue.

2 Likes

Definitely your dog now!! You can prove that you have brought the dog to the vet. I wouldn’t give the dog back!! She doesn’t seem too concerned. Just talk to her and ask her if you guys can keep the dog. Tell her your family and yourself have gotten very close with the dog and she can still visit the dog. I don’t think she’s going to get the dog back to be honest. 3-4 months turned to 6 months and then it will be a year and so on. If she asks if you have a problem keeping her just say not at all but the more you keep her the more you guys will get attached.

2 Likes

Keep the dog. Tell her to quit sending you money also.

1 Like

Don’t give that dog back!

Ignore her , don’t tell her anything about it, she’s basically giving up the dog. She don’t care. They try to get it back tell them no.

1 Like

You have vet paper work on the dog. She’s yours

1 Like

Don’t give her back. We took a dog in as well owner never bothered to check on her or buy food or pay for vet. But sure wanted her to have puppies and him keep money. Thank god dog didn’t have any. But now wants to claim her ans take her which I decided not to let her go cuz he’s unstable always on drugs ans are left out. I don’t want her around any of that. I did register her under my name after having her almost a year. She’s turning 2 soon and he’s only had her a month or two if that. We were the breeder who sold to him which he surrendered back to us for being unstable. He has agreed to buy food pay for half vet. Ans none of that was met. Until it’s her heat cycle is when he wants to come around to try to breed her. So we made Decision to keep her when we saw all he wants is to make money off of her while we care for her and pay all vet bills

Keep the dog. Do not give it back to her if you know it will be neglected and unhappy. Just be honest and tell her, she may not even want the dog back :woman_shrugging: plus it’s just not fair for the dog to be moved back if he is settled in with you

Unfortunately you just can’t keep her. dogs are counted as property. So that would be looked at in court as stealing.
However you can get her chipped and vetted under your name. So if it comes down to it you have documentation with your name on it.

I would also Explain to her you are all getting attached to the dog and would like to keep her. If she sounds hesitant I would tell her you can send her the money back for food she sent you. If she still says no tell her she needs to find another home for her. Until then you will be charging her a boarding fee of 50 a day starting that day. I’m sure she Will quickly change her mind.

6 Likes

She may not want the dog back and doesn’t want to ask for you to keep. I would explain your family loves the dog and would like to keep. If you start in a negative way like you don’t take care of your dog we are keeping your definitely going to get negative back.

1 Like

Emotions aside, it’s not a cut and dry answer unfortunately. I’m assuming there was no written contract but you have accepted money for this arrangement so that does constitute and prove an agreement for care. You need to properly communicate your concerns and in writing, a dog is property regardless of how people feel about that. She can show her nails on social media but she has been paying for its care. You feel that taking care of it meant 3-4 months but without a contract that’s neither here nor there because there wasn’t a predetermined amount of time set for this arrangement. You cannot just go and microchip someone else’s dog to you, that won’t hold up well in court. I say this as an experienced breeder and a professional dog behaviourist who has quite a bit of experience in the area of contracts, dog care and the likes. What you need to do is put in writing your concerns, an end date for your care and your wish to adopt the dog and why that’s best for the dog. See what she says back.

4 Likes

Get her spayed and keep all the vet bills. Don’t accept anymore money for her food and such. Then she’s basically yours.

1 Like

Keep her and ghost the owner.

You can’t just keep someone dog because you don’t agree with things they do. Tell her to come get her dog now or you’re keeping her.

1 Like

Vet care equals ownership. So it’s your dog now. Take care of it and move on.

4 Likes

I’d tell her she has x amount of time to get the dog and if not you’re keeping her. Make sure to keep the messages.

2 Likes

Keep her if that’s what you want and do the necessary legal steps to do so.

3 Likes

You taking funds for food so legally not now you can tell her she’s got 30days come get it or you are keeping it.