Dog Drama Help Me Out

This question was submitted to our community via our Facebook page and/or our Answers forum. Responses are also taken from the community. If you have your own parenting or relationship question you would like answers to, submit on Facebook or Answers.

QUESTION:

"My family was asked to foster a dog for a few months. (To me that meant 3-4 months) We have soft spots for animals so we didn’t even think, we offered our help. We were told the girl was going through a break up and went back to her parents where and the dog was not allowed. It has now been 6 months, she has only visited once. All other visits, she bailed and never came. She does venmo money for food, and that’s it. When the dog went in heat it was huge mess, but we knew going into it that she wasn’t fixed. We provided all doggy diapers and took care of it. We’ve told her repeatedly that the dog may have an ear infection (we took her to the vet and never told the owner just to see if she cared). Meanwhile, dog owner is on social media showing off her new nails, clothes, hair etc. I’m sure you’ve figured out my question… would I be an asshole if I tried to keep the dog? With all that I’ve stated is it fair? My family is very attached to her and don’t want to give her back. We also cringe at the thought of this sweet dog going back to her and being pinned in a too small crate 8-10 hours a day. She’s had free roam in my house since day one and never a problem. What do you all think?"

RELATED: Boston Terrier Dog Saves 9-Month-Old Human Sister’s Life as She Struggled to Breath in Her Crib

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

The following top answers have been selected by a moderator from hundreds of responses to the original question.

"Maybe ask her if she’s willing to let you adopt the dog?"

"Maybe u can suggest it to her. That u r interested to adopt her. I’m very sure she will say gladly."

"Ask her can u adopt her it’s better. So n few months time she can’t say oh ye stole dog r refusing 2 give her back. Go through right channels keep record of everything xx"

"Make it to be her idea…lead her into it. make sure you get something in writing, tell her you need it to take her to the vet! I bet she would rather anyway if you put her to the test! Tell her the dog needs some treatment…"

"Is she chipped ? If so is chip registered to prior owner if so you may find you cannot change to your name without her signature?"

"Pay her to keep the dog. That way she won’t be tempted to take you to courts. Offer her something to take that sweet baby off her hands completely. I’m sure she’ll be happy to keep her money for more nails."

"Get her to surrender the dog to you if she won’t take the dog to the pound and 7 days later adopt the dog from the pound"

"I think you need to do whatever you can to keep the dog. It’s in the dog’s best interest and that’s what counts."

"ask her straight out can you keep it, sounds like she doesn’t want it anyway"

"You need to talk to her, depending on where she got the dog they may have a return clause in the adoption or purchase contract, which means if they find out the dog changes homes without contact, that they can reclaim the dog. So if you do end up keeping the dog it’s important that you establish a relationship with the rescue or breeder of origin. These clauses are done to protect the animals and make sure they don’t end up abandoned or in a bad situation."

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW: