Girl I babysit has a lice problem, what should I do?

Just be honest tell her I’m sorry but until she’s lice free you’ll have to find other childcare as I can’t risk also having my kids get lice

I live in a high lice area. What I do is mix half listerine and shampoo put it on dry hair and leave for at least ten minutes and wash it out. If I do this once a week it prevents my girls from catching it from peers. Also could do it for the little girl and help her out. I call it 'just in case" shampoo.

Exactly what you just said! There’s no reason you shouldn’t say that! Most mothers understand! That shit is soooo hard to get rid of! Good luck!!

You need to check your girls hair she’s been scratching she’s got some kind of critters on board. Let me know when they vacated

It’s because she isn’t doing the second treatment like she should be. That is what kills what’s left but she also has to clean her house and her room… does the mother have it to?

From the mom of a little girl who ALWAYS gets lice if it’s even in the vicinity…tell her. Offer advice, if you have any. Us moms are not ok :joy: Seriously, life gets busy and if she is old enough to wash and brush her own hair, like my daughter is, mom may not know yet. You would be doing get a favor to tell her before it gets out of hand. Also, I don’t think you’re at all being unfair if you don’t watch her until it’s under control.

I’d call the school and ask the school nurse to check her hair. That way they send her home and have the mom treat it and the other children in the class can get checked. That would prevent it from spreading to the whole school and avoid an issue between you and the mom

Simple : just inform the school that you babysat a child from her class /school and the child has lice ( you can say you prefer not to name said child ) the school will to a head lice check & The school will discreetly tell the family . Everyone’s dignity is respected .

If You Know What To Do Help This Baby By Good Advice Or Help And Teach Her Not To Use Other Comes Or Brushes When They Know Better They D Better

Just tell her. Simple. You should take her aside, and tell her “your daughter has lice, and you can’t risk your kids getting it until it’s treated” :slight_smile: but in a nice way of course, ask her if there’s anything you can do to help :woman_shrugging:t2: or give her some tips on how to get rid of em :blush:

You need to bag up any pillows and stuffed animals for at least 14 days. You can use the highest percentage of alcohol and spray on the bed, couches. Anything that I’d fabric. As a precaution you can use white rain or a rite aid brand. Also pull up your child’s hair. (Ask that the other children you babysit pull up their hair.) As a child my father always blame lice on dirty people. However it loves CLEAN hair. Also was their hair only once a week. Give the same instructions to the other mother. Also ask the other parent for a trash bag to put her jacket or coat in when and if she comes over. I agree with the other ladies. She needs to check her kid solve the issue or get another sitter.

Put it just like u said it happens to all of us it ducks I know but maybe per your help I was told u have to bleach your walls put bedding n bags along with toys cloths shampoo u flooring it’s hard work so yes maybe offer to help if any way possible but to me u r helping by telling the mother

Here on Maui we have gnarly live issues. Super lice is what they call it. Cases get so bad that kids missed too much school that they now won’t send the kid home. I spray tea tree oil in my sons hair daily.

Honestly if you and your girls have been with her at all you should go ahead and treat all of y’all because 9/10 times one of y’all also have it. It’s not a insult at all it’s just a proven fact.

Use hair spray everyday on your kids hair…they will not get lice…have done both my kids that way since they started school

You just need to be upfront with her about it. Explain to her that she has it and that you don’t want yours to get it. Once taken care of then you can resume watching her. You are offering a service to her but you also have your own to look after.

Start by treating your home, since shes already been there, like pillows, couch, beds, blankets, stuffed animals, ect. And let the mother know. And maybe offer help?

I think as long as you’re kind and understanding it’ll be fine. Just say something like “hey I noticed your daughter has head lice. We love having her around but I really can’t have my girls getting it so I’ll have to take a break from watching her until you can get rid of it. Let me know as soon as it’s treated and we’ll be happy to have her again!”

reminds me of the times that as a full-time working single mom I had to work myself past the point of total exhaustion fighting lice & of the time that ronald mcdonald house threw me & my 2 kids out until we paid $300 to de-louse our room after the kid that wasn’t fighting cancer caught lice at the upscale playschool I had enrolled her in to try to have some normalcy in her life while her brother fought bone cancer…fun times - NOT!

just tell her. there’s no nice way to say it. i mean don’t be completely rude but if the roles were reversed she would understand.

You can mom up front about infestation of the head lice and child has to be cured of lice before returning back to school. Be secrete about infestation and informing parent so child is not embarrassed by the notification to the parent. After killing the lice and the nits are absolutely been removed from hair the mother can purchase Tree Oil and lather in hair, leave the Tree Oil in hair. Lice doesn’t like the smell of Tree Oil. Once lice and nits have been completely removed the child may return back to school with approval from school nurse/official. The lice can be spreadable from one student to another by contact, using other person combs/brushes. If one person is treated and others with it is untreated that one parent who is following the correct procedure in taking care of the child hair problem then that child is going to be inoculated with it again. It is a problem in schools!

Put any type oil in child head don’t wash it for two weeks comb out all time it suffocating to lice and eggs sounds gross but it works comb hair in shower put away from water then wrap it up again wash live off body

Metion your treating your girls as a precaution as you heard nits are doing the rounds and offer to include her daughter, why u r babysitting her anyway x

Tell her to go get professionally treated. It’s worth every penny!

Maybe buy some of the lice shampoo for her (she may not be able to afford it) or pull her aside and explain how to take care of the problem. When I was in 2nd grade, 5here was a girl in my class whose parents wouldn’t or couldn’t treat her hair, I had lice 5 times that year. My mom did everything including pouring lamp oil on my head (I still have scars from it) to get rid if it. But u kept getting lice because of this one girl. My dad got tired of dealing with it and cut my hair from my ass to look like a little boys haircut!
Help her put as best as you can because she may not know what to do, or this little girl may be in a position I was in, where it’s continuously treated to no avail due to another

I would just be upfront and as nice as possible but be clear of what your expectations are. I’d also buy the stuff to treat your home because if she’s been there it’s very possible she’s left some behind.

I would tell her kindly about it and let her know you can’t watch her until the head lice is gone. She needs to also was all the bedding and deep clean all the furniture in her house as well as shampoo the carpets in her house. Not being rude, just something I’ve dealt with with my kids when they came home from school with head lice. So that’s a big hard no but also be kind and suggest to her the proper way to rid them if the Mother is unsure. That’s just what I would do. Good luck and best wishes Ma’am.

From someone who has experience with this issue from a family member, you just gotta be upfront an honest about it. Don’t tell her in a way that you seem annoyed with the issue, but more understanding about the situation. & be open about being there once the issue is taken care of.

Personally if said child has it your gonna have to treat yourself, your kids and home. Getting new hair ties, boiling or freezing brushes or replace them wash all bedding in hot water spray furniture down bag stuffies

The lice kit in pharmacy stores. They have those including the medicine that’s for the hair.and the comb. Tell her to buy some and she prolly don’t wash her daugnters hair often. She prolly also needs to clean / wash her house change everything that might have lice on it.

The mom is probably unaware or doesn’t know what to do. Mayo and egg mixed together and left on the scalp for 30 mins to an hour helps suffocate the little buggers. I add a little Virgin olive oil too. Wash that out with lice shampoo. Do NOT use conditioner!!! It will help the bugs stay in your hair better. Tea tree oil, coconut oil, and the lice gel are honestly your best options. And comb every single little bug and egg out! Even if you have to comb every day for a week! When you treat the hair wash all bedding, stuffed animals and anything they could stick to with HOT water and a soap that sanitizes. Best of luck to you. My daughter is Eskimo so her hair is thick AF!! We’ve had countless struggles with lice! Tell her that lice are only attracted to healthy hair so it is actually a compliment! However it’s troublesome for the kiddo and those around. Best of luck! Feel free to PM me for any other questions!

Honestly wouldn’t be that offensive because lice like to stick to clean hair which implies she’s got a clean child

While u have her put some tea tree oil in a spray bottle with some conditioner ao it doesn’t smell bad. It’ll keep them away. My daughter NEVER has lice because of this.

Maybe tell her about the products or home remedy. Can you treat someone’s child without their consent? It’s so crazy nowadays. I would just communicate and see where you get. This is neglectful on her part. Those poor kids. You have to wash the bedding and disinfect.

I would just tell and offer to do pretend your treating your own anyway so one more won’t hurt xxx

Get lice repellent spray for your daughter’s hair. Recommend products to the other mother. Lice is do hard to get rid of.

Lice hate the smell of tea tree oil! Throw it in your conditioners and or send her with a diluted bottle of it to spray.

You tell her straightforward she has to take care of the lice problem or you can’t watch her.

There are health Lice regulations in preschools and daycares, schools ect. I would find one for your governing body and use it to support your suspension of care

Tea tree shampoo prevents them js. Would help your kids. Won’t treat them though.

Treat the girls hair with Vamouse mouse and then you can use the Vamouse daily defense shampoo,it kills lice too and has tea tree to keep them away,the best thing to use

Well I’m the kind of mum that will just straight up tell it like this… and even if my kid doesn’t even have any hard lice to begin with, I’d still just say Hi babe so I noticed today while the kids while Playing that they have been scratching there heads here and there… So I had a quick check in all of there and I Ive noticed that (baby sat child’s name) has got a few lice eggs that I could see and the same with my kids… So unfortunately I think the kids have nits lol Yay…:love_you_gesture::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::roll_eyes: And I thought I’d just let you know so U can treat it at home coz that’s wat I will be doing asap so it’s bets just to keep the kids seperated until we know for sure that all the nits have gone ok babe… So just let me know once you guys have gotten rid of them and then we can for sure give the green light for play dates again… And then I’d just finish up with a suggestion on wat not stuff I use oñ kids here which will hopefully give her some good ideas on wat to use of she’s never had to treat nits before… But it also gives her a chance to maybe suggest something to me… And last but not least lol as there are leaving I’d just hit them with a quick reminder and I’d say to the child with the actual head lice lol that make sure your very well behaved for mummy while she does your hair and make sure u sit nice and still ok so she can get out all those bities from your hair ok so that once there all gone U can come back over for a play ok…will U promise me? Lol and Just Leave it at that xx

If the girl goes to your daughter’s school, the school nurse should contact the parent to do a lice treatment. Lice spreading in schools and childcare centers is very common.

Your home and “business” your policy. So in my home- and I do childcare- I’d tell them they need to treat and not return until it’s been 72 hours without any nits.

Schools and daycares are same way… Kid must be lice free before can return. Clean house and cars

If you’re trusted enough to babysit then surely you’re trusted enough to tell her the issue - or go buy some stuff and get rid of them yourself. How much do you know the child? Would you want your child suffering while your friend asked Facebook what to do?

Get the spray or liquid at the pharmacy and clean her head yourself it cant be that expensive.

You have to be blunt and tell her . Because it is in there house and if you don’t it will be in your house soon

Tell her you can’t babysit anymore until you know it’s handled. You’re adults. Communicate.

Make lion Right Young U Guy S Know Nothing About It Takes A Village Sometimes To Raise And Teach A Child I Don’t Think So

Just like you put it here on facebook for all to see.
Tell her your needing to talk to her but dont want to upset her. But is a problem… then just tell her. Lice is a fact of life when your kids are in school its not a dirty or bad thing to get them… it does how ever become a bad thing to keep them… and ignoring them or not being told about them is a bad thing… but maybe this little girls mother doesn’t know about them. Or dosent know how to get rid of them. Shampoos from the drug store dont always work. Or it only kills the bugs but a few days later the stupid eggs will hatch then there ya go again with bugs … again… ugh! Maybe shes not washed all the bedding and stuffed animals and used spray made to kill them on her carpets and furniture… maybe she needs help to get all these things done?? And there are some people that due to poor eyesight or just have no clue what the bugs or eggs look like just cant see them… or maybe she cant afford the prescription for kwell shampoo and all the extra laundry cost and spray for the house . I just cant believe the lady would willingly keep these tiny critters cause she dont care or a dirty person… my guess is that she dont know that they are there. Cuz kid scratch themselves all the time. And since (thank god) misquote season is coming to an end, at least up here in the north as the temperature is beginning to drop because it fall…
But head lice usually breaks out in schools at the beginning of the year because just before this kids and parents alike are trying on and buying school clothes shopping. And the kids are trying on clothes, and the stores just hang these clothes back onto the racks as the pile up in the dressing rooms or maybe hung on a rack in the dressing room areas… next thing you know school starts and theres a lice break out. This happens again when the kids go and pick out winter hats and coats…etc… then again after the kids go back to class after the winter holidays christmas and new years then every kid goes back to school. And like I said its not dirty to get them but is dirty “knowingly” to do nothing and to keep them… im a retired master barber by trade and this is something that is more of a pain in the butt to go through. But i wouldnt call it a nightmare as you did. Its just one of those things that kids and adults a like just have to watch for and do what needs to be done as soon as possible… ive known people to had gotten head and body lice when they were in a auto accident and rushed to the hospital’s emergency room … they may had gotten them in the ambulance or in the ER…
And my ex-mother-in- law whole heartedly believed adults cant get them…?? I told her she was wrong, cuz head lice dont check a persons i.d. first… just go and simply talk to this girls mother. Cuz she just may not be aware that her daughter has them… and if you babysit this little girl then you and yours may have or may get or gotten them as well… but you need to stop panicking over them its not a nightmare or the end of the world here. Its just one of those things that happened and now everyone needs to join together and just get rid of them…

Maybe they don’t no what their looking for offer advice or maybe even help her out but be honest

Buy lice hair ties on amazon, use tea tree shampoo, few things you can do

Use Frontline on her! It works for a month and is safe for mammals.

God Does Have On On This Earth To Treat Each Other And Yet We Do Every Day And Think Its Cool

You have to cut them off. Only way. That shut is a nightmare

Just buy the daughter some selsun blue

Just tell her like you would want her to tell you if the situation were flipped…

Other moms recommend the tea tree, yes but that only work best mixed w| lavender oil. But be sure to use in moderation - studies hve seen too much tea tree can cause bad irritation on the scalp.

I wouldn’t babysit someone with lice. It’s a hard thing, not to notice lice. Mention to the parent…until it’s under control. You can’t watch the child.

8 Likes

i would tell her nicely and make sure she takes action to solve this problem.i would want to know about this

1 Like

I’ve heard a lot of great results for tea tree oil in her shampoo,

Honestly it’s a headache but all kids get lice :woman_shrugging:t2: just tell her

Mayonnaise all over head head for two hours and a grocery plastic bag around her head. That way they can’t jump and they smother. You should just kindly say this is an issue and it needs to be treated before it affects my home or I can’t watch her anymore.

The same way you put it out here put it to her. I cannot continue until you solve the issue

1 Like

You can have the school nurse check the child and call the mom.

The lice mouse works wonders

I’d definitely be letting the mother know !!!

She needs to watch her bedsheets, jackets, etc. Or she will keep getting it after treatment.

I believe lice rid makes a shampoo it works wonderful

By telling her her kid has piojos😂 no real way to beat around this bush.

I doubt she keeps getting it sounds like she is keeping it

Just be upfront about it and don’t worry about her feelings.

Tea tree oil in shampoo work

Yikes! Literally went through a lice situation a few weeks ago. Took about 10 hours to pick through my daughter’s thick, long locks & a lot of tears were shed. I got the nix stuff, along with the bedding spray & treated every area of my house- including all couch cushions, area rugs, etc… we’re drug outside and thoroughly saturated… including her mattress- took like 6 hours for that sucker to dry​:rofl::sob:

As an individual, I always appreciate an honest approach, no matter how raw it is. Be upfront and tell her… she might not know how to treat her kids head, or her home, although it sounds like the child may have different life cycles in their head. Just one bug can lay 100’s of eggs, & all it takes is for 1 egg to be missed and end up hatching.
For our house, I also bought the vamousse (sp?) shampoo, and alternate washing her hair between head & shoulders and that vamousse stuff.

1 Like

Buy her a jar of mayonnaise

Just say you can’t risk your kids getting it. :woman_shrugging:

Use those words, gently but firmly.

How about. Your daughter has lice again are you treating it correctly. Maybe your not getting it all.

Then wait for her answer. Make a suggestion (see a dr for special shampoo)

Then say I can’t ha e her here if she has lice. I have two girls we can’t get lice.

Then wait for her response.

Just let me know whenever she is live free and I’ll be happy to watch her again.

It’s one of those things where you’re just gonna have to say it as nice as you can.

Yeah drops of tea tree in your daughters normal shampoo. And you won’t have a issue. Just mention she’s been itching her head lately and that you heard another mum mention she had to treat their child’s hair. X

You should prob just tell her.

I’d just explain it to the mom, n she’d have to treat her daughter n house before I’d babysit again. I know with my own grandkids that gets expensive n right now u don’t have any…

Tell the mom I had it so bad growing up my mom never treated my hair ( she was a drug addict and could care less ) my dad tried his best to treat it but my hair was so long and blonde that I had it constantly I suffered in school and got bullied because of it just be like I’m not sure how to put this but Betty sue was scratching at her head so I checked it and seen a bug. After you treat it I’ll be glad to start watching her again

Just tell her and put baby oil with tea tree oil in her hair with a shower cap on. Then let her know you can’t babysit till it’s taken care of.

1 Like

You just tell her. Explain that she has to Treat All her daughters bedding and Buy a New pillow. Any stuff animals need to be put in a garbage bag and left for at Least 2 weeks. She has to Spray the mattress with Lice Spray! Wash All her daughters clothes and jackets. I would suggest putting Olive Oil on her hair, cover it with a shower cap and let her Sleep that way

Be honest and tell the mother

I know some times this can be a hard situation to deal with. Stop that child from coming into contact with your children, they will get it!!! Just tell her you have noticed the child itching and you looked and she has lice and she can no longer attend daycare until the problem is solved. There is no give room on this. The child must go home unless and until this problem has been dealt with and solved. Period.

Just say it. Nothing wrong with the truth.

I’m glad you’d be nice….I wouldn’t be I’d straight tell her fix it or you can’t watch her…but I had horrible lice as a kid and am traumatized by it.:sweat_smile:

Use olive oil and soak her head. Use a nit comb and comb their heads. Do all the kids cause lice can not cling onto dirty hair. N OLIVE OIL IS LITERALLY the cheapest way to handle them. Wash and HIGH HEAT dry the bed lines and pillows. All stuffed animals need to be quarantined for 7 days in a trash bag.

I’d let them know & then i’d sit down with said child & do her hair in case her mother doesn’t have time. :relaxed:

Just state it simply and plainly. Start out by saying, “I don’t want to say anything to hurt your feelings, but….”. It’s for the child’s own good, too. Poor baby needs it cleared up.

The mother isn’t treating the house, bedding, and hair. Lice does not go away after treating just the hair. All bedding, pillows, need to washer in hot water & go in the dryer, all combs, brushes, and hair ties need to be replaced or treated. Inwould make sure it was gone for 1 week completely before having her come back. If it comes to your house again I would have her look for other child care.

If you tell her and she ignores the problem, put your foot down and refuse to babysit…it’s a service not an obligation…years ago when my kids were elder toddlers (4&5) their bio mom who got them once a month for a wknd told us if her plans to take them to her boyfriends relatives where there was active pink eye with their kids and we asked her not to take them or postpone it until it was safe…she said she’d wait and not take them, but guess who did anyways .and I was their HOME…she had another baby (still infant) I after three weeks of battling the pinkeye she let them get, it was inconvenient for her to get them her one wknd because it might infect the baby…like…wtf…don’t let discord hold you off from being that mom…

I would want you to tell me. And maybe mom needs to know what all has to be done to eradicate lice. Mention to mom how Tgel shampoo, even the walmart brand works to get rid of them and help keep them away, along with tea tree oil in your regular shampoo also helps.

Tea tree oil is my best friend. My daughter was a lice magnet from preschool to 1st grade. It was so bad I had to shave her head. A friend of mine told me 2 yrs ago to buy tea tree oil and put it in a water bottle I spray hers and my 2 boys head every morning before school and haven’t dealt with lice since

My friend who is a teacher in Albuquerque NM, had a student who had head-lice and even though they made several complaints and concerns, nothing was being done. I was in disbelief hearing about it, but apparently that was at Kirtland elementary. Ijs. :flushed::smirk::triumph: I was like I would raised all kinds of health and welfare checks!!!

Tea tree shampoo and conditioner my daughter kept getting it from a kid at school switched to this and blow drying no more bugs :raised_hands:t2::ok_hand:t2: you can also make a tea tree spray for fabrics :pray:t2:

Tea tree oil in your shampoo will repel it.

1 Like

You might have to talk to the mother or child Heath care so they can provide the items for the mother to take care of the lice

Just be honest with her. Also if you’d want to, you could help her with it? Take veggie oil to her hair. Take a lice comb and comb out all the bugs, shower cap over the veggie oiled head and leave overnight for 9 hours then wash with blue dawn dish soap. Twice a week. I got rid of my daughters within a week doing it this way. Up to you though momma. Lice comb aren’t that expensive and veggie oil isn’t either.