Girl I babysit has a lice problem, what should I do?

School and daycare would send her home until it’s cleared. Why should you be any different

youre protecting your home. You dont jave to be nice. Just stick to the point. Maybe it will get her to get ger butt in gear to figure out how to get rid of the lice issue once and for all. walking on eggshells only cuts your feet and hurts YOU. Protect your home and family. Anything else will be figured out by the universe.

Be honest… straight up … if I was the mother of the little girl I’d want you to tell me straight up …

Clean that up or I’m not watching your kids

Offer to help even ya know shit is hard

Check her head in the mornings if she has lice she has to go home its not rude

2 Likes

Maybe offer to help her. I’ve helped many friends who had a hard time getting rid of it

9 Likes

Me being me I’d just treat her myself I’d go buy what ever at the pharmacy treat her & then tell her mom idc that kid is probably miserable constantly having lice omg poor kid & I wouldn’t want it spreading if this continues maybe call child protective services it’s a form of neglect why does she keep getting lice? You know what I mean

I’d just say it. No need to sugar coat or whatever. Pull her aside and tell her about the lice and that you can’t risk your own kids getting it. Tone should be neutral as possible if you can, that way you don’t sound disgusted or like you pitty her. I’d personally appreciate the straight up approach, I wouldn’t be embarrassed. Lice happens. I had it a few times as a kid and I always caught it from friend at school. That friend’s mom had 5 girls who always had it. She shaved their heads once and after that they were fine. I think they had super lice or something.

You could also help her out and offer to do her hair while watching, if she provided the products needed. Personally, that’s what I would do. I would also do a mayo treatment on my own kiddos just in case.

The only real way to get rid of them is by pulling out all the eggs one by one or they’ll just keep hatching. My step mom spent SEVEN hours pulling them out when I got it in elementary school. & rinsed it with lice killer (to kill the live ones) & then she washed EVERYTHING in the house. It’s a process but if you do it right it’ll solve the issue.

Tea Tree oil… Wash her hair and do what you can to get rid of them… Gift shampoo with tea tree oil in it too… I’m sure the mom is aware and frustrated at the issue too… To protect your girls in the mean time, add Tea Tree oil to an apple scented shampoo to mask the smell and wash and condition as normal… My daughter had hair down to her knees in grade school and it took only one time catching them little buggers and she never caught them again after that. And Tea Tree oil is really good for your scalp :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Maybe she had no clue… Some people have never been exposed before so just tell her that she keeps scratching and you found them… Then her reaction will tell you if she knew… You know when somebody being fake

Chances are, if you babysat them in your home or went to their home you probably already have them and need to treat you and your entire household

Sadly u do have to treat your girls. Your going to have to say something to their mom. Maybe help her. I had a kid keep bringing lice to my home. Everytime the gurk came over she got a lice treatment before coming in and a change of clothes I provided. Eventually I went to her moms with all the stuff needed and helped her do her entire house… I then used lice freeeee spray for 6 months on not only my kid but that one. The problem did go away. Mom coukdnt afford nor did she know what to do.

Yes I would hope the mom is aware and you need to nicely gently but firmly tell her what she needs to do (ie clean everything) and that you can’t watch her until the problem is gone because they are a nightmare.

Be honest with the mother, there’s no way I’d keep babysitting if she keeps getting lice. Sorry, but I’m not battling lice with my kids.

1 Like
  1. Fairy Tales Rosemary Repel Lice Prevention Conditioning Spray - 8 Fl Oz : Target
  2. If her family isn’t treating the whole house for lice she likely is getting reinfected right after any treatments.
  3. If you feel uncomfortable, you probably should just tell them you can’t keep watching her.

Literally be a big girl and say “hey your kid has lice, they have the treatment for it at Cvs, if you need help with how to do it call me, I’ll walk you through it, and let me know when she is all set to come back”

Some moms don’t know. I never ever had lice growing up and had literally no clue my daughter had gotten it… I had to have someone tell me. It wasn’t terrible but she had the little eggs and someone pointed it out. I had never in my life saw it before so I didn’t know what I was looking at. She might just be a me … lol

Unpopular opinion but I would ask the mother if she was able to buy the lice treatment and I would do it for her

I would wash her hair and get the lice out and wash her clothing. Then I would tell her mother what I did and that she has got to go home and treat everything in the girls bedroom!

Just tell her like you explained here! She’s probably aware though and hoping you don’t notice lol. I would just tell her though.

There is no nice way to put it. She may get offended, but that shouldn’t be your concern. Your concern are your children. That sh*t can spread like wildfire. If anything, maybe mention something to school administration. The school nurse may be able to validate your claims and they can take it to the next level.

You just tell her. Nasty stuff. If you watch the girl, it is already in your home. :grimacing:

Just be honest. Your kids come first. But if she has been in your home while she’s had it it’s possible you already have it. I would just say “I just wanted to let you know I am seeing lice in your daughters hair when she comes to my house, I will no longer be able to watch your child until he/she is free of lice. I can’t risk my family getting it. My apologies. I hope you understand.”

Yes tell the mother, then tell the school because there gonna be a live breakout now.

Tell her to find someone else to watch her child, it’s really that simple

1 Like

Ah, tell her.
:thinking::rofl:
Why beat around the bush.?
It’s not the mums fault her child gets lice, grow up and be an adult.
:rofl::rofl:
Seriously

Just talk nicely like you did here. Surely any mother of girls would understand

Tell the mother her kid has lice.

Just be straight with her about it

Mail her an anonymous letter lol

Honesty is the best policy

Tell her then get rid of them lol

Just be honest …Id want someone to tell me .

Just tell her!!!

Don’t do what I did, I thought okay I’ll act like I’ve no idea where they came from, I said I’d found a nit in my daughters hair and that she should check hers just incase. She like okay no worries, I used derbac on all of us and spend hrs getting going strand by strand making sure there’s nothing, she used an electronic comb, utterly useless kills the lice but not the eggs. 2 weeks later she came back at me like your weans gave us nits again, I almost punched her. Needless to say they had to shave all of their heads to get rid of them. We didn’t so haha fuck you bitch. Karma got you. Sorry that still irritates the shit out of me 20 years later lol

Okla dsnt send home anymore

Why you gotta be nice about it.

Ma’am …. I think your kid has lice. Please have that checked out

:woman_shrugging:t4::woman_shrugging:t4::woman_shrugging:t4::woman_shrugging:t4::woman_shrugging:t4:

uh Uh Girl We All In This Mess Together Missy

because That’s EST What U Do

Maybe you can get the stuff and debug her

Truth hurts. Do it kindly, but do it immediately!

I put this in my daughters and boys hair to prevent it. But just tell the woman nicely. That’s all you can do, maybe she doesn’t know

1 Like

Just tell her up front

1 Like

Exactly what you said

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Girl I babysit has a lice problem, what should I do? - Mamas Uncut

I’d inform the school nurse, she will handle it. Not only for your children but for everyone else’s.

8 Likes

“I’m not sure the right way to say this and I’m not upset, it’s just I saw some bugs and I hate it cause I’ll miss them but we gotta get that cleared up before they come back.”

7 Likes

If she keeps getting them again it means they are probably in her home already, possibly other family members in her home. You doing hers won’t do anything till her home and others are treated as well, they will come back. Have you told her mom about the problem already for her to try and fix the home situation. She might be unaware of the situation. If you haven’t maybe let her know about the lice and offer her tips how to treat it and give her the weekend to take care of things and see if they are there when she comes Monday. If you’ve told her about the lice already and it has continued, It’s a sucky situation but I would not watch her anymore. You will never know if she actually took care of it at home. It’s expensive and time consuming to have to treat yours also!

7 Likes

Just flat out tell the mother. Until your daughter is clean of lice I’m not watching her. And if she’s been in your house. You are already exposed to the little buggers

3 Likes

Just come out and say it. If a school will not let you attend until treated you should be able to say the same. You could also offer to do the treatment for the mom if she brings the supplies. Maybe she’s treating it but doesn’t know how to do it properly.

4 Likes

Just let momma no if someone told me I would not be offended what so ever it happens they are children it’s bound to happen at some point !!! Especially during school !

1 Like

For the sake of the children treat her hair yourself and talk to mom about how to get rid of it.
Also you can add tree oil to your shampoo to keep from getting it.
Hairspray helps not to get it to

3 Likes

Tell her with love in your heart. I would tell her not the school nurse. This is a embarrassing situation for most. Especially for the children.
You babysit for her so she must trust you.
Do the right thing and talk to her mom to mom. Put yourself in her place, how would you want to hear this news?
You seem like a nice person. I’m sure you’ll be ok just talk to her.

2 Likes

Just like you told us as is you now need to treat your family and all cloth items. Lice is hard to clear up once started and if the little ones sit on couch or stood on carpet… you have them.

2 Likes

Explain to her that lice likes clean hair and its likely from other kids at school, its extremely common and can be treated. See how she reacts, maybe she has no idea they have lice and its spreading like wildfire the longer you take to inform her OR she knows, and isn’t announcing it to everyone out of embarrassment.

4 Likes

extra virgin olive oil put in child’s hair comb through. then put a trash bag on hair for 30 minutes. I got this tip from the nurse at the health department.

2 Likes

Talk to her with good intentions and I’d deff call the school nurse to check everyone’s head… lice is very serious. If goes untreated it can be a bad situation. And I’m sure other girls have it too in the class. They’re hitchhikers those lice they’ll jump like a flea

There’s really no nice way to say your kid has lice? It sucks ass but it just has to be said. I can’t continue to babysit as long as she keeps getting lice, it’s that simple.

You just say you can’t watch her until it’s been cleared. It happened to my daughter and I wasn’t upset with her babysitter. She has other kids there. It is what it is.

Lice loves clean hair, wash your kiddos hair less, us the lice spray in & call the school. If she has it chances are more kiddos in the same class have a and it’ll keep happening is the actual source isn’t treated like

1 Like

The lice infectation must be hell for this little girl with the itching etc I would definitely would be proactive. Ask her teacher to tell the Mum. The school may have solution & you get a pair of gloves & treat it yourself. Explain to the three little girls hair hygiene eg keeping long hair tied up, only use your own comb & hair clips
Make sure you only use your own hat & towel, & put them in their special bags when they finished using them, & don’t lend them to others…etc etc.

She could be like me; and just doesn’t even know what to do. See if there are any lice clinics in the area, it was about 70$ to get my hair treated when we got it. Plus I bought the treatment stuff if they brought it home again. She might need help.

Baby oil & a cap on her head overnight works to kill lice. It’s cheap and no harsh chemicals. It’s works like a charm! But linens need to be washed in hot water and possibly bleach. Hair brushes boiled or tossed.

1 Like

You need to tell the mother, otherwise it will be a vicious circle. Everyone in the household will need treating, brushes/combs cleaned properly and bedding and clothing washed. Then you need to find out if the child is catching headlice from another child who may not be getting treated.

2 Likes

Maybe just flat out say it. Also offer to help her she may not know how to fully get rid of it. Ppl dont think of bedding n stuff animalls etc needing to be dried in the dryer on high heat or bagged up for 7-10 days n put outside

Let the mom know and how it can affect your household if it was me I’d get tea tree oil and a lice comb I’d sit that poor child down and clean her hair out if she comes back again with it I would charge the mom a fee and if all else fails let her know that until she helps her child by getting her hair in order your not going to sit her I’ve seen so many parents neglect they’re kids hair they’re either lazy or not on top of it

My daughter had nits for 2 years when we lived in Darwin. No matter what I did they kept coming back, I was on the verge on shaving her head. They don’t discriminate between clean or dirty hair. The only way we got rid of them was some orange stuff it took me for ever to find. Then we moved states anyway.

Just what you said, you can’t watch them until the lice is gone.

6 Likes

As a babysitter it is your right to let the parent know. Just tell her.

I know this is not what you asked, but there is a shampoo/conditioner called glop and glam and it has lice preventative ingredients in it. The barber shop I work at uses it on all the kids who get their hair washed this time of year (school season). Also adding tea tree oil or just buying tea tree shampoo/conditioner is another alternative. Bugs hate the smell, good for animals too to combat fleas and mosquitos!

2 Likes

Not everyone understands how to treat kid and home maybe offer to help

Tell the mother so both of you can bleach out those bed linens and other things. Get the shampoo and get rid of those bugs!! Tell the school too because it’s probably more than just your kids! :zipper_mouth_face:

Just to do it! Tell her not trying to offend her but there’s a problem and you can’t risk your household to.

Take vinegar and 90% alcohol and drench her head in it. Put a shower cap on and leave it on for a few hours, wash her hair. That’s what I did for my daughter because she kept getting lice. I did it twice. Now she is a special shampoo to repeal them.

I would try to tell her how you feel, that you have 2 girls of your own and you can not/ will not risk them getting them, that you are sorry but you have to think of your girls first! Maybe suggest a few he type rimidise like example: take unrefined coconut oil heat til melted and put in hair over night (it suffercates them), after they are gone,take dollar store brand coconut shampoo and a few drops of tea tree oil and wash hair with it every couple days ( it helps repel them and prevents them from coming back). Also another one is take 90% rubbing Alcohol in a spray bottle andl everything that cannot be washed, wash everything that can be on Hot and dry on highest heat setting! After all this is done and they are gone, take 20 drops coconut oil, lavender oil,Tea Tree oil and warm in a spray bottle and spray beds, and anything that is sat on regularly every couple days FYI if she adds 2 tbsp of baking soda it gets turned into home made frebreeze

Just flat out tell her. I flip out with headlice due to me having long n extremely thick hair

Straight up tell her. Lice can be very costly to treat.

I just used dog shampoo when I was a kid. It worked and was cheap and easy.

Inform her Offer help and explain it needs to be addressed some people just need a lil guidance

3 Likes

If your kids are around her they will get it too! Lice are very good at spreading

Just tell her there’s no harm do it discretely tho

1 Like

Say exactly that. And start adding tea tree oil to your shampoos

1 Like

Cat shampoo is amazing for that

Well if it was my daughter, id be upset that you didn’t inform me!!!

Yep. For sure!!! We moved to a whole new town just to get away from head lice outbreak in our old town.

You just tell her she needs to treat her hair

Sometimes you just gotta say it.

You simply have to tell her exactly what you just said.

I would just say it. If the kid was in school and they caught it during a lice check, they wouldn’t allow her back until it’s gone. You have to be no different. I would offer to help treat it if her Mother needs help. But she won’t know theirs an issue if you don’t tell her.

The issue is you are first responsible for your own kids. Be honest. If the school keeps finding them social services may be called. Please just be honest

Just tell her how you feel, straight up but politely and do what you feel is best for you and your kiddos. Your family comes first before any jobs or risks from those jobs.

Just tell her & help her figure out how get rid of them in her house also

2 Likes

Dawn dish soap kills lice n baby oil id do her hair nnlet the parent know

1 Like

Honestly tell her if she wants to buy the lice shampoo you would be glad to do her head while you’re watching her. And I’d start putting tea tree oil in your kids shampoo so they don’t catch it.

If you watch a child you are responsible for them. You can treat them.
Tell mom you saw a live and treated her immediately. Most parents won’t care. Most parents know their kids have it but don’t want to deal with it. I’ve worked in child care and home daycare. You’d be surprised at the number of parents that don’t care.

Make sure you use vodka mixed with tee tree oil to get rid of them

Exactly what you just said

It’s lice. Why are you acting like it’s some sort of disease your kids can catch and die from :woman_facepalming:
Not sure you’re someone I’d want to watch my kids if you’re acting like lice is some sort of death sentence.
Be an adult and communicate with the moms. No need to stop babysitting. If you do tho I hope she finds someone with more common sense.

Give her a gift of Tea Tree oil Shampoo and conditioner (it will help)