Has anyone else had pain with the copper IUD?

I got the copper IUD in early September, I had lots of pain and went in for a check, they said nothing was wrong and to give it time. It’s now Mid October, and I’m in so much pain. Pain after sex for a minimum of 2 days, pain at period/ovulation, and then severe pain randomly that makes me double over and can function. I guess my question is, has anyone else experienced this? This is my last form of birth control for myself, other than condoms. I’ve literally tried darn near everything my insurance will cover, nothing’s worked. My body is just so sensitive, and I’m trying to stick it out, but man, it’s killing me.

7 Likes

My dr was trying to force them on me but the FDA was reevaluating them and I’m glad I didnt. I cant take a lot of bc like you so I had my tubes removed Instead!

IUDs create inflammation in your uterus. It’s no wonder you have pain, some people never have an issue others are more sensitive. I couldn’t do it, hurts too much. You need to call your doc and tell them this isn’t normal you know your body, they need to re-evaluate the IUD or they need to remove it and try another method

1 Like

I had to have mine removed less than a year after having it placed, for those very reasons.

Get that evil thing out. It’s the devil! Caused me to bleed every day for a year when I had it…severe cramping too. Get. It. Out!

1 Like

You need to call Dr ASAP & for sure a ultrasound to check position/ location of your IUD.

I had one tsken out yrs ago cos of pain it caused me to have nsu and can cause infertiliy problems n scaring

Iv has mine in for 5 years and best thing I ever did, no problem at all :blush:

2 Likes

My friend had same symptoms. Same answer from doctor both times. I told her to finally go in and INSIST they take it out now! They balked but did as asked. A few days later all those horrible symptoms disappeared. The only thing I could attribute it to was copper toxicity. The doctor was wrong. Take it out now. Use condoms.

IUD often shift placement and this can cause serious pain.
I would get a second opinion if I were you and have it removed.

You aren’t meant to be in pain

1 Like

But you got a copper one…you might experiencing an allergic reaction…I’m no dr but copper if you wear it turns your body green, for me anyways. I’d have to say get another opinion. How long have you had it in? When I got mine in I hurt for like weeks even a full month and still had pain but it finally subsided cause they said give it a chance.

2 Likes

i am like you. i cannot handle any hormonal birth controls that contain estrogen. they give me pounding no relief type migraines. the only thing i can take is the “quick pill” birth control. Norethindrone 0.35mg. maybe you can try that. if it is causing that much pain, it is not in the correct position or the placement caused inflammation and you need medicine to reduce that. my roommate’s Mirena tore through her cervix/uterus. too many horror stories for me.

Yes. I even experienced dizziness/lightheadedness. Lower back pain too. But not a lot of pain. I can still function well. Did ultrasound last month and nothing wrong with it. And its my 5th month. Gonna give it a go for another month or two. If it still wont ‘blend’ in with my body then thats it. Im taking it out.

There are two types of IUDS, copper and hormonal. I am onto my 2nd Mirena (hormonal) device and haven’t had any periods or pain for 6 years now and love it. If it is your first one, it could take 2-3 months to settle but not the type of pain you are describing. Def get a second opinion. I am in Australia and these can only be put in by a gynaecologist or doctor.

I had it too and had exactly the same reaction as you I got it took out

You need to have that taken out. Get a tubal done.

I’ve had non copper one for about 2 years now. The first year was the absolute worst. Pain, skin issues to abnormal bleeding. I’m done and scheduling an appt to remove it. Idk why I even tried waiting it out. Every time one side effect left another one or two replaced it.

They can do an ultrasound and see if it’s out of place. I would def request one and have it taken out if not out of place. They aren’t meant to cause pain.

I had pain for 6weeks after mine was in, i too went and had it checked and they told me it was fine but ti take nurofen to stop the inflammation

My aunt was the same way lost so much blood it was unreal get it out before something serious go wrong

Just had the IUD put in also , getting g pains and such also. Stomach aches

1 Like

Have you tried nexplanon?

Get it taken out. Opposed to getting your tubes tied?

you shouldn’t feel pain… did your ob/gyn.put it in or was it at a clinic?

get it put in by a gynecologist only

I have kyleena and I feel that way too especially during sex

That thing nearly killed me took 5 hrs and a whole lot of med students in my bag trying to get the thing out until the oldest doc I’ve ever seen came in plyed my baby shoot wide open and yanked it out. I’ve never been so thankfully offended in my life

Many have reported the same issue…I did as well and had to have mine removed…it was a horrible experience!

I am 5 years in and still have lots of pain and I’m afraid it will hurt to be removed but they always tell me its fine

Have it taken out mine started like that then I bleed for a month straight

I never had pain. I had increased bleeding during my periods but no pain. I would have it checked by a different doctor.

I had pain 2 years after mine was put in. I did natural labor and couldnt stand the pain the IUD gave me. I had my OBGYN look at it and it was placed properly still and she didnt see any issues. I had her take it out anyways just to make sure that was the problem, sure enough just about an hour later the pain was 100% gone and I havent been in any pain in the female area since and its been almost 2 years.

Screw that, use a condom :grimacing:

IUD was a big no no for me I hurt so bad with it after 4 1/2 uts it had grown into my cervix had to have it surgically removed i literally doubled over an passed out at work from the pain.

I had the copper 10 yr IUD

My ex sister in law had the iud and she had the worst experience that she had a really bad accident and the IUD punchered her uterus and she internal bleeding and she had to have an emergency surgery so I have heard iud is dangerous

1 Like

I’ve done mirena I had it in for a year and regret it. First time I had sex afterwards I experienced a sharp pain for little but I couldnt explain it. And it gave me weird periods… I was bleeding like crazy for the first couple months. And around a year into it I was getting some different pains and it felt like something was stabbing me… and I went and got checked and it gave me a hugeee cyst. The hospital emergency told me it was the biggest one they seen but cant do nothing unless it twist my ovary or burst which calls for emergency surgery… and my obgyn said that the hormones which isnt the case for yours , cases cyst during my period times and then goes away later but idk it just didnt seem right so I took it out. And I got it taken out last December and have had 2 miscarriages since recently… didnt even try until may…

I had, I believe it was the copper 7, worse pain I ever had, out of 3 months may have been 2 weeks I didnt bleed, after a couple yrs, it fell, I had cramps like contractions, a different Dr told that was my body trying to expel it, had that pain for the whole time, never again, wouldnt recommend it to anyone

The iud caused me nothing but problems. Constant pain and infections…

Nope, nope, nope! Personally I’ve never had one but I have heard more bad things than good. The insertion of a foreign object into your lady parts has always creeped me out :confounded: my doc keeps asking if I want one as I don’t want anymore children and I just can’t bring myself to get one. If it was me I would get it taken out

First one I had in i got pregnant with my second and the 2nd one i was having pain and mood changes.

Never would I have an IUD of any kind! I had a copper seven in 76 and she is now 43 years old. Besides pain it moved and finally found it in placenta after she was delivered 6 weeks early! Go get it removed!

I had alot of cramps and heavy bleeding when i had mine until i switched from tampons to a menstrual cup then the cramps eased up alot. Still had heavy bleeding but nothing major.

Never bled but got knocked up 3 months after it was put in

I’ve had 2 IUDs over the course of 10 years and always had painful periods. After having my daughter I got another IUD, no pain anymore :woman_shrugging:t3: I’ve got no answers for you unfortunately just that pregnancy and child birth were obviously way more painful than the IUD.

I have mirena and it caused me really bad cramps but it doesnt have the mood swings that nexplanon did

A lot of pain, removed it after 6 months.

I had my first Paragrad removed because of pain like that. The arms were bent wrong or didn’t fully extend properly when placed. I thought the next one caused pain sometimes during sex but after two years I had it removed and still have the same pain. I don’t know if I’m tensing expecting it or if it’s real. Maybe giving birth changed my lady parts. I had severe cramping during periods for the first nine months or so. Please don’t endure the pain. I wish I hadn’t for as long as I did.

Why don’t you just get your tubes tied

The copper IUD can cause a lot of issues. Try a different one.

1 Like

Why do they still let women get these things they are so scary the horror stories i have heard about iuds

2 Likes

Spent the night in e.r.after mine shifted and made me bleed uncontrollably.they said it was fine before that.im also unable to use traditional birth control.5 kids later and a removed iud.we use spermicide film condoms and keep plan be on hand for emergencies my youngest will be 13 next month

Why the fuck women put this in get your tubes tied cut and burned lime i did my youngest child 27 im fine

I don’t have experience with the copper, but I have a different kind. Any kind takes time to get used to. I went into the doc multiple times thinking some thing must be wrong. Every time they told me to use NSAIDS and a heating pad. It’s been 6 months now and I don’t have any pain except while ovulating… but I’ve always been that way. Maybe try and different kind?

I had issues with mirena and had it removed… best advice I can give you is you know your body no one else does not even the doctor if ur in pain and uncomfortable then the best thing to do is remove it and let the body heal until your body is ready.

I had to get mine removed at the ER because it gave me toxic shock. Get that thing out your body girl trust me its no good.

I don’t remember exactly which IUD I had but all I did was bleed. I would get one week a month of no bleeding. I had it put in in October and removed in March. I couldn’t do it anymore. You should go get it taken out if it’s causing you to buckle over.