Has anyone ever had a misdiagnosed miscarriage?

I was never told a miscarriage just that I was not pregnant at all and then got appendix surgery done because the hospital swore I wasn’t pregnant they blew up my stomach up with gas for the surgery and it never went down come to find out I was 17 weeks pregnant 3 weeks after surgery.

This happened to me except i was pregnant with twins and did actually miscarry 1 of them. My daughter is now 19 months and other than a heart murmur, shes perfectly healthy.

Probably it was twin and one was miscarried. All the best to you and this precious baby

4 Likes

I was 5 weeks pregnant and spotting in pain. Went to the ER they did an ultrasound and said i was miscarrying. Spotted for 2 more weeks… woke up in severe pain. Went to ER then told me I had an eptopic pregnancy the whole time and now had internal bleeding and needed emergency surgery. Needless to say it was a horrible experience.

Same thing happened to a friend of mine they told her she miscarried ND then she found out later she was 6 months pregnant

Same thing happened to me and my baby was healthy and big. 8 pounds. And I didn’t find out until I was 5 months pregnant. I’m sorry that has happened to you but I think you’ll be okay if you just take proper precautions from here on out. And congratulations!

My gran had this she unbeknown to her was actually carrying twins .she only miscarried one of the twins .she too didn’t realise she was still pregnant until 4 months .

1 Like

I had the same issue happened to me. They found bacterial infection in my stomach. I was complaining of acid reflux, nausea and a UTI. They did multiple test and prescribed medications. Turns out this whole time I was pregnant after I came back with pelvic pain and my stomach was a little swollen. They did a pee sample and yeah turns out I was pregnant.

Maybe you were pregnant with 2 and lost 1? Either way your Dr really dropped the ball!

2 Likes

Ask the doctors office for the lab results from the blood test. If the hcg levels were over 2 then you were still pregnant and they lied.

2 Likes

i had a false miscarriage, I had started bleeding when I was about 6 or 8 weeks and went to the ER they told me I had miscarried and wanted to to a DNC on me. I told them that I would prefer my dr do it and had an apt for 2 days later. Went to my dr crying my eyes out and he asked me why i was crying I told him I had been advised that I had miscarried again he had no idea what I was talking about so he did an ultrasound in the office and my little girl was still there… she is now 21

This exact thing happened to my friend! Miscarried around 12 weeks I think and then found out she didn’t at 20 21 weeks

Let me tell you I had something called subcnrionic hemorrhage with my last pregnancy. A lot of bleeding so many clots for 2 mos straight. My HCG Levels lowered at 5 weeks and said I was going to lose my baby. I got pregnant with an IUD so I don’t know if the removal of it caused it. Anyhow. My bleeding stopped. Yea the sea did frequent ultrasounds in Mexico. Here they did not want to explain what was happening. They just kept saying that I would miscarry. I didn’t he will be 15 in October (33 week preemie) his almost 6ft fall and just made varsity football.

Wow, what a rollercoaster ride. I’m glad baby is still with you but I’d lose my shit at that doctors office.

2 Likes

Yes, 18 years ago I was told by a doctor I had a miscarriage and he sent me home with a script for Vicodin and told me to rest. 12 days later I was rushed in for emergency surgery to have my Fallopian tube removed because of a rupture from an ectopic pregnancy, that I almost died from!

I would look into an attorney for negligence and malpractice. The emotional distress that comes with a miscarriage is horrible, pregnancy should be a happy time, not one spent mourning the loss of your baby when in fact, you are still pregnant and have no loss to mourn.

1 Like

Get a lawyer mama. Hold them accountable. If they won’t even admit they could’ve made a mistake, they will ABSOLUTELY make it again. They need to learn and grow same as anyone else. They should’ve followed up after a week ir so to make sure any related tissue had all passed. 100% they should have done an ultrasound, and follow up pregnancy tests somewhere inside of 21 WEEKS after a clinically diagnosed miscarriage. They 100% failed to do their due diligence. I’m glad you’re in better hands now. And congrats mama!

I didn’t know I was pregnant with my second daughter until I was 4 months almost 5 months pregnant. And I like to drink before that and my daughter is completely fine I was a heavy smoker and drinker.

Sounds like uterus separated from the wall causing bleeding. I had this happen and they tried telling me I was miscarrying and I refused to let them say they without any testing. They did and ultrasound to find I wasn’t miscarrying, I was internally bleeding was put on bed rest the remainer of my pregnancy ( the whole thing BC this happened at 12 weeks)

It happens. It could be a new pregnancy. Blood test are pretty accurate. If there was no pregnancy hormone levels (HCG), then there is no pregnancy. We have had a time when a patient was bleeding and even passed a clot of tissue (she assumed it was the baby), we did the ultrasound and the baby was still in there thriving.

Yup you can sue for false information and making you go through that! Smh

1 Like

Omg. I cant believe they didn’t scan u. I had a similar thing where I had heavy bleeding & I had negative, then positive, then negative tests, so my gynae scanned me. Sadly I had lost the baby but to have all that & not scan u is shocking. Keeping my fingers crossed for a healthy baby & wishing u all the best with your other medical issues x

I had something similar happen with my youngest child but found out later there was a good possibility that I had miscarried his twin. Idk if that’s the case here but maybe look into that.

I was misdiagnosed with a blighted ovum. Dr told me it was an empty sac, and I could have it removed, take medication to expel the sac or just let nature take its course & eventually my body would expel the empty sac. I chose to let nature take its course & im so glad I did because after 2 weeks of intense morning sickness I went back to the dr to get the meds & found out i was pregnant & it wasn’t a blighted ovum.

My stories a lil different but I started bleeding really bad with my last pregnancy it was at night so I went to the er. After asking me questions and just touching my stomach they told me I had a miscarriage. I asked for a ultrasound and they told me the tech wasn’t there and she wouldn’t be back for hours I told them I didn’t care I would wait around because I had to be sure. They refused to do blood work they told me there is no need they already know what’s wrong. So I waited 5-6 hours for the tech. They called me back to do the ultrasound and the tech was asking me what happened and what did the doctor say so I told her. We started to do the ultrasound and she found the heart beat and my baby bouncing around. I forgot what it’s called but I had a small tear that’s what made me bleed. My baby was fine and now she is a healthy 14 year old. I was so mad I found the doctor before I left and showed him the sonogram pictures and told him that before he makes a call like that he needs to do the right testing instead of assuming and causing parents heartache.

My bfs brothers gf had the same thing happen. They even got the gender wrong lol for 6 months we thought he was a she lol he’s now 2 an healthy! They swore she had a miscarriage.

Cud have been a twin… My friend miscarriage at 8 weeks and then at 22 weeks had to abort a brain dead baby… Apparently she lost 1 of the twin at 8 weeks due to being kicked in the abdomen…

1 Like

Was pregnant with my daughter. Miscarried and went to the ER with everything wrapped in a towel. Told at ER I absolutely miscarried. 3 weeks later, still getting pregnancy symptoms… Back to the doctor and found out I was still pregnant. I was carrying twins and it wasn’t detected because I was early in my pregnancy.

Medical malpractice lawsuit… and if something happens to be wrong with baby lawsuit for that as well

When i had a miscarriage they did 2 ultrasound i would sue

Document everything. You very well may need it…

Yes they should of done an ultrasound to make sure you were cleaned out and didn’t need a dnc.

1 Like

So how did a blood test confirm she was no longer pregnant if she was in fact still pregnant?

1 Like

I’m confused. In one part of ur story, u say they put a NuvaRing in u. And in another part u said the NuvaRing was out. Which is it? Was it in or was it out? Anyway, u probably just got pregnant right after the miscarriage. A blood test would have definitely detected a pregnancy.

1 Like

This happened to me in October, I gave birth to a healthy baby boy in April

I didn’t have a misdiagnosis but close too, I had bleeding and I was sent for an ultrasound. The technician couldn’t find my baby during the ultrasound. The doctor came and did an internal ultrasound( vaginal) and there he was …he’s 10 years old now :relaxed:

I had a friend who the Dr. told her she miscarried, They even did a DnC on her. A few months later she felt movement. They did a pregnancy test and it was positive. Did an ultra sound and were shocked at how far along she was. The Dr. said she miscarried a twin., And was lucky that when they did the DnC they missed the other baby. That was the only child she ever had. He was their miracle baby.

3 Likes

I had a tubal pregnancy, I went in for surgery have the my tube removed, they did a dnc, went back the next week to do a blood test to make sure pregnancy was ended and I was still pregnant. They don’t know if I was pregnant with twins or if she feel out of my tube and reattached. Either way my 15 year old is truly my miracle baby!

The fact that they are denying you were I pregnant when you obviously were is disturbing .call the state medical board

1 Like

Might of been twin pregnancy and lost one

You probably were pregnant with twins and loss one which caused your blood levels to be off. I had a IUD in and got pregnant, I was sick and having my period, gaining a little weight, went to doc and I was 5mos. Couldn’t remove the IUD because I would abort my baby, my son was born with the IUD attached to his back, doc removed at birth other than that he was fine that was 51 yrs ago.

I’d be finding a lawyer and suing for malpractice.

1 Like

The only time I tool birth control was when I ended up pregnant with my son. I bled 3 weeks out of the month but not the week when I should have a period. I called the doctor and the pharmacist and they both said I was probably just having multiple miscarriages. This lasted for 3 months and every month that was what they said oh you’re probably having a miscarriage. I decodes to come off it depressed I was just getting pregnant and killing it right away…2 weeks later I decoded to take a pregnancy test because I felt nauseous all the time but not usual nausea. BOOM I was actually 3 months pregnant.

I will always advocate for trusting out guts and getting more than one opinion. Too many doctors these day and not enough that genuinely care. I hope you and baby stay strong and healthy. Creating a miracle is no small feet and after what you’re little one has been through its definitely a fighter! :heart:

They never accept the blame , you should file a shot against them . I have never experienced that before but I have experienced other terrifying things with Dr and nurses and they don’t claim or even apologize. I am so sorry prayers for your baby to be healthy and happy.

I was 24 weeks pregnant and my blood test pregnancy test came back negative, doctors decided to do ultrasound and baby was there move and everything…

My girlfriend miscarriaged a twin and went through this.

Yes. They told me they couldn’t find my second son and I asked for an ultrasound for 7 weeks. I had a period and blood work done…. At 14 weeks they gave me another ultrasound and there he was!

Could have been twins and only 1 miscarried.

My friend sued her doctor… yup she’s sitting pretty until her now kid is in college exact same storey told her she miscarried but one night she was in so much pain.
… surprise your in labour she was shocked as she drank a few times but baby was fine…baby is now 6 and just starting school in the fall :heart:

Sperm can live in a women’s body for up to 5 days, actual date of conception is difficult to determine as a women ovulates anywhere from 11 to 21 days - hence why a pregnancy is always calculated up to 40 weeks. Once the baby has started growing an ultrasound can only be done on average measurements as babies grow at different rates depending on a number of factors, genetics, nutrition etc, that’s why some people can look pregnant straight away & some people don’t show until right at the end. The most accurate time to determine a conception date by the way of an ultrasound is between the 8th and 18th weeks. It’s highly likely you got pregnant again very soon after the miscarriage, if you had sex close to that time this would probably be what happened. :blush: Anyway I wish you all the best with your beautiful baby, happiness, love & laughter coming your way :cherry_blossom::cherry_blossom::cherry_blossom::cherry_blossom::sunflower::sunflower::sunflower:

Thats crazy and sad You go through all of the emotional heartaches of having a miscarriage Then to find out a few months later your still pregnant then you have to worry if the babies healthy The doctors should always do a ultrasound in my opinion

I was. I had bleeding at seven weeks and the stupid midwife told me it was a miscarriage. He is sleeping next to me-8 months old now.

My husband was a “miscarriage.” His mom went in the doctor’s office because she was having problems. They scheduled her for a d&c and everything. She overheard her doctor consulting with another doctor in the hallway and it was mentioned that they should check her HCG levels. When the doctor come back in, he wanted to go ahead with the d&c. She refused to have one until they checked her levels. Had she not heard that conversation, my husband wouldn’t here. ALWAYS have ur HCG levels checked and get the ultrasound. I’m so sorry your doctor failed you and I pray for a safe delivery and a healthy baby!!

6 Likes

This happened to my daughter. She has always had an incompetent cervix and lost her first two at five and a half and then almost six months along. She then had a son with the cerclage. She had a miscarriage at around three months at home. She called the dr and they told her to put it in the trash and if she had any issues to call them. This devastated her and she actually buried the baby in the flowerbed. She went on with her life and drank etc. Well about two and a half months later she started to have cramping in her legs and other symptoms so she called the dr and they said to come in. She may not have passed all of the baby and they would do an ultrasound to see. And then a d&c. She got there and they did the ultrasound. She found out she was five and a half months along with a baby girl. She is now a healthy beautiful eight year old!

I would report your other doctor office to whatever agency oversees them. Thats not right at all

2 Likes

Coukd have been a multiple pregnancy and you miscarried only only baby. And the other could have survived, especially if they were fraternal as i suspect (identical share a sac where fraternal have separate sacs)

4 Likes

Happened to my sister

Doctors aren’t gods. Some are morons.

10 Likes

What happened is u miscarried one of ur twins.

3 Likes

Could have been a subchronic hematoma… Those are sometimes mistaken for miscarriage, or you could have become pregnant immediately after miscarrying… that recently happened to my friend.

1 Like

Tiffany Michelle Bray

One of my friends had a miscarriage and turned out she was pregnant with twins. She lost one of the twins and gave birth to a perfectly healthy twin.

5 Likes

Happened to my mother, she had fraternal boy/girl twins…miscarried the boy, my older sister survived.

1 Like

The ER dr told me I miscarried and even showed me what she said was tissue from the baby.
I Demanded my dr be called because I didn’t feel it was right, and she called in ultrasound tech.
Was still pregnant and that’s the night I found out I was having a boy :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It’s possible you could have been pregnant with twins and only miscarried one baby. I’ve multiple women miscarry one and not both babies and sometimes farther along than you were. Be happy and thankful for the precious little you are carrying than be angry over something that may or may not have happened. Is it possible that they were wrong yes, but is the above scenario possible also? YES

4 Likes

I’d say you miscarried a twin. I’d also go into your doctor and demand all records and have them on file. If your baby does have any birth defects I’d be ready to sue the practice. Make sure you go get the records now so they can’t change or delete anything.

13 Likes

I had a vanishing twin this pregnancy, so it’s entirely possible that you lost 1 and not the other.

This happened to a friend. She was having twins and lost one.

Not the same situation, but an example of some doctor’s incompetence when it comes to pregnancy.

My mom had me around 25 weeks, so when she got pregnant with my sister she was supposed to be followed very closely for signs of her cervix failing to stay closed again.

She went it for her routine ultrasound at her OBs office and the OB informed her my sister had unfortunately passed away sometime after her last appointment. No heartbeat, movement, growth, nothing.

He sent her straight over to be induced so she could have her. Obviously my mom was a mess and so was my dad. The doctor at the hospital that day asked for another ultrasound to be done before anything got started. He wanted to verify on his own.

My mom refused to look at the screen and she said she heard my dad and the ultrasound tech start laughing. She said she immediately got pissed and started yelling they were laughing at her dead baby. When she turned her head to yell the tech and my dad told her to look at the screen. And there was my sister just a wiggling away, strong heart beat, and proper size.

My mom found another OB that day. Apparently he had several malpractice suits against him from mishandling deliveries resulting in babies either being born too early or suffering birth injuries. My parents later found out he knew my mom’s cervix was thinning and dilating at her last appointment before I came so early and he didn’t intervene.

No all doctors are good doctors. Lower passing grades in med school are still passing grades unfortunately.

1 Like

Oh my! Congratulations! I’m so happy for you! I hope the baby is healthy!
Back in 2016 I had found out I was pregnant in early December. A few weeks went by if that, and on Christmas eve we went into the er because I was having bad bleeding. They were 80 percent sure I did or was going to miscarry. And because I was only about 7 to 8 weeks pregnant when they looked on ultrasound they didn’t see anything. Two weeks went by and I went into a regular check up to see if baby was still their. He was! I was bleeding so bad because I had a hematoma on my uterus. When I got pregnant with my second the same thing happened. It was lighter bleeding with her but I was told it another hematoma again

It’s called Vanishing twin and it happened to me aswell, my baby girl is 10 yrs now.

This happened to me except I had a DNC done, they thought I was having phantom pregnancy symptoms my numbers wouldn’t move blood test came back positive but urine test came back negative. Finally on December 8th 2015 had an ultrasound and there was my baby boy had him March 10th 2016. They said he was either a twin that survived the DNC or a fertilized egg that dropped.

It could be possible you were pregnant with twins my sister was with my niece she legit lost the twin went the hospital they confirmed it.
But def get a lawyer because you’re Dr more or less did a malpractice on you hun. Congrats on the baby!

Yes they should have done an ultrasound

Not to give false hope, but yes. My mother was bleeding at 3months when she was pregnant with me. She went to the doctors and they told her to go home and rest, she was having a miscarriage. A month later she went back for a check up and I was still fighting. I was born severely underweight due to the umbilical cord being wrapped around my neck. The OB told her I had to be helicoptered to a better facility but that I most likely wouldn’t make the trip. Then the pediatrician finally saw me and told my mom not to let me go, to just give a bottle and that I’d be fine. I was in icu for a few weeks but now I’m 27 and healthy with 3 perfectly healthy sons of my own.

5 Likes

Megan O’Neill read the comments

My sister was told that her daughter had died because they couldnt find a heartbeat… they had scheduled a d&c for a few days later… this was her second marriage and she had been pregnant 4 times previously but miscarried two… she said to her husband… something isn’t right. I don’t feel like I’ve lost this baby… stating she knew how she felt with the two previous miscarriage… which were different from each other… she insisted the Dr’s did an ultrasound… and found out she hadn’t lost the baby… my niece is 22 years old.

2 Likes

I had what they thought was a miscarriage in the dr office.

He’s now 11.

It was his twin.

1 Like

If your hcg levels were non existent there’s no reason to confirm with ultrasound. If they only dropped then it’s possible you had twins.

3 Likes

My office always does ultrasounds to make sure there is no heartbeat before telling a woman she misscarried

1 Like

Yes I was misdiagnosed at 3 months. But gave birth to a beautiful baby girl.

I heard of something like this. She was told she miscarried but still felt pregnant. Went to a different Dr who did an u/s. She was pregnant with twins but lost 1. So she did miscarry. She didn’t miscarry the whole pregnancy.

Congrats!

2 Likes

My sister found out she was pregnant at 21wks. No prenatal care, got drunk a few times.
My niece just turned 4 n she is the sassiest, most straightforward kid I know!

2 Likes

I would get a malpractice lawyer now !! If you child Has issue now its due to the doctor neglect-make them responsible doctors like this make good doctors look bad :rage:

9 Likes

Same thing happened to my little brother and his wife. She is due aigust 24th with the same baby they grieved after a “miscarriage”

1 Like

Yes my friend went through a similar experience where she had lots of bleeding, clots and pain but she did not miscarry. I hope your baby is healthy and everything goes more smoothly for the rest of your pregnancy!!! and congratulations!!!

1 Like

Yes your doctor was terrible. But congratulations

My baby is 4yrs old now and I had a “partial miscarriage” or vanishing twin. She was supposed to be a twin but I lost one at 6 weeks. But I knew there were 2, I saw them on an ultrasound at 4 weeks I lost the second baby at 6 weeks and they did another ultrasound the next day to see if I was still pregnant and there was my little girl still going strong.

This happened to me and i was actually pregnant with quadruplets. By the time I got to the hospital, they did a vaginal ultrasound and two of the babies were gone but there “spots” I guess were still there.

I was told that my now 12 year old son was not a viable pregnancy…

Yes, I was told I had a miscarriage while I was on vacation on Michigan (I live in Kentucky). They told me my level of hormone was dropping but never watched it actually go to zero. Well, 3 weeks later I took a pregnancy test and it showed pregnant. When the doctors did an ultrasound he was always 3 to 4 weeks ahead. He was also born 3 weeks early but healthy, big and no issues. So, I will never know what happened.

I went to the ER for massive bleeding at 13 weeks. The ER doctor tried to tell me the pregnancy was no longer viable and he suggested a D&C. He said I had low fluid and the baby was measuring too small. I decided to go home and wait it out. I went into my OB a few weeks later and he looked over the ER scans. I was still pregnant with a healthy thriving baby and the bleeding was from a pocket of blood from me tearing the placenta wall from me lifting something heavy at work. My daughter will be 2 in October and she thriving.

2 Likes

I was a twin. My mom miscarried just one of us. Doesn’t explain the pregnancy test in Dr office coming back negative but regardless CONGRATS

Yup. They almost did a DNC on my oldest. Only thing that saved him was I had to fly out of town for my Grandmas birthday, so I scheduled the DNC for when I returned . Thankfully, he had grown enough in the week for the tech to see him……

Like the girl mentioned above, doc theory was twins, and I lost one. (Hence the drop in hormones, my son being so small, and bleeding. )

1 Like

I’m sorry that happened to you! But also, congratulations! Mistakes happen and maybe they should have been more thorough. But as medical professionals were taught to rely on blood work and other tests a lot. You very well could have miscarried one twin early in. Or even a cyst or some other issue that had formed within the womb. I doesn’t sound like they were negligent on purpose.

1 Like

I’d defo not be using that Dr again, but I feel that with all the symptoms and the blood results, he was just doing his job, at least he didn’t push for a D&C! I would be feeling extremely lucky and blessed! What a strong baby you have! i think it honestly sounds like you may have had a loss of a twin possibly, I’ve heard of this before when there is so much blood loss. Congratulations on your little one!!! :heart:

They did bloodwork,should have done an ultrasound yes, but more than likely it was a case of a twin pregnancy. So yes you prob did miscarry, thats not wrong, you just didnt miscarry the other…ur dr should have followed up more.

2 Likes

I for sure understand what you are dealing with. I started heavy bleeding at 5 and 1/2 weeks. I called the doctor and they said if I thought I was having a miscarriage I had to go to the er and I didn’t want to go sit there for 10+ hours. It was so much blood and blood clots for 3 weeks, sometimes I would even go threw a pad in a hour. There wasn’t any other way to explain it than a miscarriage. Unfortunately women are told if you bleed during pregnancy then that is a miscarriage, we are not educated on what it may be instead. So I took it as a miscarriage. I was grieving alot, every single day it was so hard on me and I was even more angry that I was still having the symptoms it was like a smack in the face. After 6 weeks of “miscarriage” I took a pregnancy test which came back positive so I set a appointment with the doctor for the next day. Come to find out it was a subchorionic hemorrhage and I didn’t miscarriage. I wish the doctor would have given me the option to come into the office when I thought I was having a miscarriage

1 Like

Yes. I was about 6 weeks with my daughter. I started bleeding at work and immediately left and went to the hospital. They did a vaginal swab test and came back in the room and told me fetal tissues were found and that I lost my baby. I cried that entire day and night. Went to my OB doctor the next day for routine follow up and they did an ultrasound. My baby was perfectly healthy and he said he had no clue why they told me I had a miscarriage. My beautiful daughter is now 8 years old.:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I’d definitely be trying to find an entire new regular dr if they didn’t bother to look or looked over something so serious😳

1 Like