Has anyone ever had a misdiagnosed miscarriage?

Has anyone ever had a “misdiagnosed” miscarriage? I had a miscarriage in April, or so I thought. There was very heavy bleeding for days, blood clots, and I even went to my doctors, and they did a blood test confirming I was no longer pregnant. They also gave me my rhogam shot and put me on the NuvaRing. I had been on the NuvaRing for three months and also had been dealing with some minor cardiac issues and got diagnosed with mixed IBS while experiencing all of those fun symptoms. I was told I was getting so bloated from indigestion and a possible food allergy or celiac. We joked around about my stomach looking so bloated I looked 4-6 months pregnant. I started covering my stomach and wearing loser clothes in shame. Well, we had a leftover pregnancy test I took one night because I never started bleeding again even with my NuvaRing out, and as crazy and impossible as I thought it was, I felt “movement” - I convinced myself it was gas and indigestion. Anyways, the test came back positive, and we went to a women’s center for an ultrasound to see how far along we were. She put the magic wand on my stomach and- surprise! A massive baby head! Not a little gummy bear-like we were expecting. It turns out I never actually miscarried, and I am 21 weeks pregnant. I was clearly in shock. This is great news and all, but now I feel so irritated with my former doctor’s office. Shouldn’t they have done an ultrasound to be sure I miscarried, and there was nothing left? I had the NuvaRing in, taken other medications, drank a few wine coolers, etc. So now I’m just hoping the baby is healthy. Has anyone else ever experienced something like this?? I would also like to add that I called the doctor’s office after leaving the women’s center and the nurse acted like I was crazy and told me there’s no way I could have been pregnant in April.

447 Likes

These Bleedings happen to a lot of Women and can be normal . Your Doctor should’ve taken Blood and do another Ultrasound . Get a laywer and think about suing him .

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Has anyone ever had a misdiagnosed miscarriage? - Mamas Uncut

I had a similar situation in 2009 I found out early I was pregnant and went to the doctors as you do and they said I was around 5-6 weeks going by dates off period…I then started to bleed the week after I was in horrible pain it was awful I went to the doctors who done bloods test and same as this said I was no longer pregnant and told to rest…couple weeks later I was send for a scan to make sure it had all gone as such to actually find out I was 13weeks 5days pregnant :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking: no explanation from any1 so I just put it done to maybe I was carrying twins and I lost the other twin in this situation and still to this day that’s what I say, I had a healthy baby boy in April 2010 born on his due date who’s now 11…went on to have 2 more normal healthy pregnancys ! Xx

I would definitely be writing a complaint in, no way would I allow the doctors to get away with this! On the plus side congratulations, dont feel guilty about the drinking etc you weren’t to know you were still pregnant. I would get a full check up on the baby to make sure everything is fine :slightly_smiling_face:

A good friend of mine did… Thought she was carrying a single child and miscarried. Then she found out she was pregnant around 20ish weeks I believe.

When she delivered it was discovered she actually had been carrying twins and miscarried one

I was supposed to have a fraternal twin. While my mom was pregnant with me, she had an ectopic pregnancy at 12 weeks. The doctors thought she lost both of us, and wanted to give her medication for a DNC. For two months they swore she wasn’t pregnant, until my mom insisted they do another ultrasound and bam, I was still cooking away.

I have never had this experience before, but I just can’t believe they are still allowing the doctors office to prescribe the nuvaring! If you have to take a birth control do not take that one. Merck the maker of nuvaring was sued by lots of women back in 2010-2016 for having blood clots that lead to the lungs and a few women also died do to it. I was one of those women who had the nuvaring in back in 2010, I had it in for two weeks.

Something similar happened to my daughter. Thankfully she went on to have a healthy baby

1 Like

So if you were extremely early in pregnancy, like 4 weeks, medically considered pregnant is anything over 25. So if you’re levels were under 25 on a blood test, they would’ve told you sorry you could be miscarrying, and then just never followed up.

i had similar with my youngest although thankfully it was only a few weeks before we found out i was still pregnant. basically at 10 weeks i bleed really heavily, doctor told me to go to the hospital, they refused to scan me and just said as i was bleeding heavily i had lost the baby for the next two weeks i was still getting all pregnancy symptoms etc so kept going to docs and he’d send me back there they’d refuse to do anything and say i’d miscarried so no need for scan blood test etc. finally when i would of been 14 / 15 weeks went back to docs again he felt my stomach and he said he’d refer me for scan etc again i asked to be sent to a different hospital and explained how the other hospital had been treating me. cue going to a different hospital them scanning me and my little man perfectly healthy although there was an empty sac too so they said its likely he was originally a twin x

I’m 17 weeks pregnant and just woke up to an extremely graphic nightmare of having a miscarriage and was hemorrhaging when I woke up and I can’t fall back asleep to save me this was the first thing I saw when I opened fb. Ugh

Yes. This happened to me.
If you’re bleeding they automatically assume the worse.

I had one. Comes to find out we were having twins and lost one of the twins. The doctor did an ultrasound but when she didn’t see the baby on the ultrasound declared I had a miscarriage but unfortunately she didn’t check well enough because the blood work showed something different and after another ultrasound we learned we still had one more inside of me. Prior to to losing the twin we had 3-4 ultrasounds and never saw two.

After you miscarriage your doctor office should have done a few pregnancy blood test to make sure the HCG levels would drop back to zero.

16 Likes

When I was pregnant with my 1st son. I did many many home pregnancy test they all came out negative. I was extremely late for my period so I went to my primary doctor and urine pregnancy test was negative a few weeks later I went to hospital ER. In the ER they did urine, blood pregnancy test came back negative they did pelvic ultrasound was negative and the ER doctor also did vaginal check was also negative. They did a work up blood test that showed my white blood cells extremely high which meant I had an infection- so the ER doctor gave me a shot in my ass of antibiotic.
2 weeks later I went back to my primary doctor cause I still have not had my period so they did a Urine pregnancy test and it came out positive so they did ultrasound and I was 10 weeks pregnant. I was so scared and worried for my baby as I was given antibiotic injection, no vitamins, and drank alcohol on the weekends. My OB doc told me When your pregnant your white blood cells go up. My HCG hormone is hard to detect when I’m pregnant.
Thank the great lord my baby boy was born healthy and now he 22yrs old.
I hope all goes well for you. :pray:t4::pray:t4::pray:t4::pray:t4::pray:t4:

Why would they not do a dnc to make sure there was nothing left :confused: on a brighter note congratulate this Lil baby was ment to be here seeing it has bet the odds… enjoy this Lil baby :baby::kissing_heart::blue_heart::two_hearts:

11 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Has anyone ever had a misdiagnosed miscarriage? - Mamas Uncut

Go to a lawyer and find another doctor asap

24 Likes

If your hcg came back negative, it’s probably not from the same pregnancy. It is likely you conceived very soon after your miscarriage.

5 Likes

You may have gotten pregnant again right after the miscarriage or possibly been pregnant with twins and only lost one.

3 Likes

Document everything. You may need a lawyer someday. Congratulations. Hope everything goes well with this baby.

11 Likes

I had a misdiagnosed miscarriage at 3 months due to low hormone levels in combination with heavy bleeding six weeks later I hadn’t had a period so I took a test only to find it positive they did an ultrasound and sure enough I had never miscarried they didn’t do an ultrasound when they said I miscarried I was told that it happens often I contacted a lawyer but when the lawyer did his research he said that he found it happens with alot of women who have naturally low hormone levels

5 Likes

I did. I was cramping and didn’t know why. They didn’t even do an ultrasound! A few weeks later my coworker said she thought I was still pregnant due to my nausea. 6 weeks later I did in fact miscarry. Part of me wonders if they listened to me the first time if my baby would still be here.

It was probably twins . I lost one the same way but still got my kid

I had this happen with my first kid. I was bleeding like crazy and I went to the er. They told me I was miscarrying. My doctors office told me to go get blood tests done to make sure my hcg levels were doubling. I’m so glad they did because it turned out he was perfectly fine. He was born healthy and was my biggest baby. I wouldn’t stress too much about it unless it doctor finds a reason for u to. I understand ur concern, but stress is actually bad for the baby. There are lots of women who didnt know they were pregnant until they went into labor and they had healthy children. They used to have a whole tv show about it called “I didnt know I was pregnant”. I’ll be keeping u and ur baby in my prayers for a healthy baby, pregnancy, and delivery. I hope this gives u some peace. Chances are everything will be fine. I do recommend getting prenatal care asap, but I think it said u found a new doctor already. :slightly_smiling_face:

You might have been carrying twins and lost 1

5 Likes

I bled with my 3rd child. I was bleeding a lot and called the doctor. She told me just to relax for the day so I did. Next day when I got up to use the bathroom I bled a lot more and a huge chunk came out. Called the doctor again but my doctor wasn’t in and there was some random one on call and after telling him everything he says yea u had a miscarriage without even seeing me. So I went a whole weekend thinking I lost my baby. I’ve had a miscarriage before and I felt this one was weird because there was no cramping. I Called my doctor again and she told me to come in the next morning . Went in and she did an ultrasound and guess what baby was still there. She said sometimes when we’re pregnant we have so much blood in our bodies especially in our uterus and sometimes blood just needs to come out. She said the same thing happened to her with one of her kids. She even showed me exactly where in the ultrasound everything happened. You might want to look into getting a new doctor.

Wow. Id be so mad. But congratulations. Im sure the baby is gonna be okay.goodluck momma

1 Like

It could have been twins and you miscarried one my daughter did this

15 Likes

Ooooh girl law suit waiting to happen

24 Likes

Yes! My now 20 month old when I was pregnant they said my hcg was dropping so low so fast it was impossible to support life refused ultrasound said was pointless! Told me come back in 2 weeks for dnc if I did not pass on own! I had one hell of a pregnancy

3 Likes

Nikki Smith one for ya x

I’ve had 3 miscarriages. ( I’ve got 3 children also). I was just told it was ‘bad luck.’
Years later, I became really ill, neally died. Took ages to diagnose that I have Lupus.
And that is why I had the 3 miscarriages.

4 Likes

I had a pregnancy test done at doctors they never showed me it but said it was negative (I would of been 12 weeks by then) then then gave me the conceptive injection without even asking me first I didn’t realise I was pregnant till I was 30weeks and was only 16 massive shock as I just trusted the doctors my little one is 11 now and healthy even thuogh I drank and was having the injection x

3 Likes

Oh don’t say that! Now I am worried about the miscarriage I had and the DNC to remove it! :sob::white_heart::cry:

2 Likes

I had a misdiagnosed miscarriage at 3 months due to low hormone levels in combination with heavy bleeding six weeks later I hadn’t had a period so I took a test only to find it positive they did an ultrasound and sure enough I had never miscarried they didn’t do an ultrasound when they said I miscarried I was told that it happens often I contacted a lawyer but when the lawyer did his research he said that he found it happens with alot of women who have naturally low hormone levels

Congratulations, never happened to me, but I did go on have rainbow babies

1 Like

This happened to a girl I know! Rebecca Smith

I experienced this! Found out at 8 weeks i was pregnant, only to bleed and be told I’d miscarried. Opted not to have a DNC…Fast forward 2 weeks and i had a feeling i was still pregnant, so done a test. I wasnt surprised it was positive, as i know my body. Went to thw docs had a scan and i was 12 weeks with tiwns :exploding_head::exploding_head: Lost 1 of their triplets, and sooo damn glad i opted not to have the DNC as that would have killed my babies. Sooo congrats and goodluck with being a mum.

It’s normal for some women to have regular periods during pregnancy, but if you had a miscarriage then a “dnc “ should have been done either way. Make sure to keep a close watch of your iron, thyroid, and blood sugars!! It could be vital, so make sure to TELL the new doc every time they send you for bloodwork

1 Like

Yup n I had what is called vanishing twin syndrome

2 Likes

Holy dooly! Congrats Mama! Try not to worry, baby will be fine, despite everything :smiley:

I have seen this a lot on these pages!!! Its so sad :disappointed: please I would get a second opinion at the least. I’m not sure how else you could be sure. Doctors also seem to push for d&c. Some who have refused have had healthy babies. While I’ve also seen many who go ahead with the procedure… no shame because your listening to a professional… this is one of many reasons I DO NOT JUST TRUST DOCTORS. Always trust yourself and make educated decisions. I’m sorry you’ve had to deal with that. Definitely find a new doctor. Personally ive found midwives to listen more to the patient at least in my case

4 Likes

I was told I had a miscarriage and over a two week period they did 3 ultrasounds and found nothing. They were gonna schedule a d&c to clean things out. I requested an ultrasound at another facility before agreeing to anything and as soon as the tech stuck that thing on my belly you heard the heartbeat.
That doctor’s office is no longer around there was alot of bad things that happened there.

4 Likes

Oh wow!! Congratulations first of all! But yes, your old doctors office should of done an u/s to check for a heart beat(but that’s only if your far enough along in for 1st trimester). I’m so sorry. Start doing everything you can now for your little miracle baby.

Woahhh. Crazy story. Could be a twin??

1 Like

i had something like that a few days ago, i had massive blood clots and was bleeding pretty heavy, the er dr called it a threatened miscarriage, but so far the baby is growing perfectly fine nothing really wrong with any of the ultrasounds or the baby’s heartbeat, been on bed rest since then until i see my dr this week. but if your dr never even tried to do an ultrasound that sounds fishy as hell, that was the first thing they did at the er. so glad your baby is still there and growing​:heart::heart:

4 Likes

Congratulations and again just shows how women’s feelings and concerns are typically ignored!!

4 Likes

A blood test as you’re miscarrying or have just miscarried would still show up as pregnant. It takes weeks for the hormones to leave your system!! So I don’t know what blood test your doctor used! Congratulations btw!

4 Likes

My mom was pregnant with twins twice and miscarried on one of the twins both times… my older brother and my younger brother both turned out fine. So it does happen sometimes but they should have definitely done an ultrasound!

Yup. 5th child so I knew the symptoms (finally). Went in bc I had a massive clot come out and had so much pain. They gave me pain meds and asked all the usual questions and took me up for an ultrasound to make sure everything had fully gotten out.

1 hour later I had a baby.

11 Likes

You can sometimes miscarry one in a set of twins. I’m surprised they didn’t check at the time.

2 Likes

I had it happened to me but come to find out my obgyn said very common when pregnant with twins he said the weaker small twin is what i lost have the stronger alive an well discovered her at 19wk
So congratulations momma be blessed

1 Like

Definitely a law suit on your hands you we’re not properly looked at ! That’s crazy ! You can still have a period and be pregnant I did with my second but it was three days long with heavy bleeding … make sure you have all tests done for any complications with the baby! Get a new dr !

5 Likes

I think it’s time you find a new dr

1 Like

Aw I’m so happy for you! But yes they should of told you or referred you somewhere to get an ultrasound to make sure the baby had passed properly to me that’s very unprofessional just going off of what you were saying your symptoms were because sometimes somethings aren’t what they seem just as if you Google your symptoms on Google it might say your dying but in actual fact youve just got the flu🤷

3 Likes

You miscarried a twin…

4 Likes

You could have very well been pregnant with twins and lost one. Or just had a very heavy period. Either way congrats. And Id be getting a lawyer. They didnt do their job correctly and potentially put your and the babys life in danger.

5 Likes

I’d be pissed.
So pissed I’d go into the doctors office and chuck that nuvaring at them.

Like hello! I’m pregnant people.
Y’all should have done the blood work and the ultrasound to ensure nothing was going on with my body (not actually me but this is what I would do)

I’m still pissed about the doctor that failed to do an ultrasound on me In 2015… and I bled out on my bathroom floor from a ruptured Fallopian tube.

3 Likes

I miscarried a twin on my IVF. Had massive bleeding and never expected to still be pregnant but fortunately against my belief the doctors booked me a scan for a couple of weeks later and she was still there! Hope all goes well for you!!!

2 Likes

Yeah no way for a lawsuit. That’s terrible to put you and your child at risk like this😔

1 Like

You could have had twins and just miscarried one of the twins. They should have checked you better. I would defiantly go and get a lawyer for some compensation.

4 Likes

I heard this a lot when I was pregnant with my twins. Could be there was 2.

2 Likes

1 Like

Crazy how they didn’t take bloods, when I mc I was very early but they still took bloods to confirm, I would be going back to your doctor and telling them x

3 Likes

It’s really hard to sue a doctor you have to prove that they did harm to you just rejoice and be happy that you have a baby coming and get a new doctor

11 Likes

Possibly a twin. You probably miscarried one early on. Strange they didn’t follow up though. When I miscarried, I had weekly blood work to make sure my hcg levels were going down. It’s be reporting the doctor you saw for sure

11 Likes

I had twins and miscarried 1 which left me open. That is dangerous open, bleeding and no water…in July and in Nov on 4th I had bad pains and I thought maybe another kidney stone but it was back labor and found out I was 25 weeks pregnant and about to deliver. They did emergency csection and transported us by helicopter to children’s hospital. She was 2 pounds. That was 15 years ago.

8 Likes

Get a lawyer asap. They definitely should have done an ultrasound. Prayers for you and your baby

17 Likes

Get a Lawyer ASAP. Do not let the Doctor know your intentions. Make sure you have copies of your medical records so they will not destroy them or take out the part that will make you lawsuit. Be wise so you will get compensation

All I have to say is I am glad “former” is the key word for that doctor.

1 Like

Time to sue that Dr and seek another on gun wh is competent. Praying the baby is healthy.

1 Like

I had just had my first baby, while pregnant I had toxemia really bad and had gained a lot of weight ( we both almost died during child birth). We had moved and I wasn’t getting my monthly so I found a new doctor to find out why. After seeing the new doctor ( he gave me a pregnancy test ) told me I was just fat and did and exam. He said being over weight will make women not get their periods. I got home and bleed like crazy, I couldn’t move or it would look like a crime scene. I started taking diet pills to help get rid of the weight ( not a smart thing ). about a month later me and my husband are in bed and we both felt a kick. I went to the hospital and here I was 6 months pregnant. One of the nurses told me that the doctor I seen didn’t like fat people, because fat people make fat people. She said that he does something to make you have a miscarriage, and he has done this before. She also said we would need a lot of money to get a different doctor to tell what he was doing. Well my boys ended up being 11 months and 2 days apart. My second son did end up being ok after all of that. I wish I would have had the money to have stopped that doctor from practicing.

I was told my baby was not alive and they wanted to keep me for a d and c. I refused. Scheduled to see a dr. 3 days later dr said baby was fine, I had a cyst on my ovary. My son is now in his early 20s, only boy i have.

17 Likes

Yes my daughter in law was told she miscarried went to follow up appointment and dr told her she hadn’t. ER doctor was one that told her she had.

1 Like

I wonder if you were pregnant with twins and lost one. Did your new doctor say that was possible? I would surely be talking to the first doctor are a lawyer.

5 Likes

I think I would talk to a lawyer.

7 Likes

My friend Doli Jean Gutierrez did with her 1st son… it happens more than u think.

1 Like

Hospital likes to tell people they miscarried when they just arent far enough along or baby is in weird position. Then try to force d and c. Nope not on me. My body either will have a baby or naturally miscarry no dr going it

3 Likes

Yep agreed I’d be going back and giving that dr more then a mouth full

1 Like

Call a lawyer, that’s ridiculous…I am so happy that you and the baby are well. I would call just in case there is something that pops up due to their negligence.

6 Likes

Maybe it started as twins. It’s common to lose one early on.

3 Likes

Id be seeing that doc again and giving them a mouthful

2 Likes

:pray::pray::pray: for you and your precious one. Much love.

1 Like

Yes they should have done an ultrasound to make sure everything was out and you were doing good.

When I was around 5 weeks pregnant I began bleeding, when I went to the hospital they noticed my HCG levels were low so they told me I could be miscarrying, they proceeded to put me on complete bed rest and told me to follow up with my obgyn and go back to the hospital 4 days later so I can check my HCG levels, when I went for my check up my OBGYN ignored the hospital dr. notes and said “yup you see definitely having a miscarriage” and wanted me to take an abortion pill to make the process faster when thank god my fiancé refused to let me take the pill without an ultrasound first. We convinced my OBGYN to schedule me for and ultrasound there was a heartbeat and my baby was completely healthy.

Tara Eilís Geary Jesus

I would definitely talk to a lawyer now incase something is wrong

Sounds like you were pregnant with fraternal twins and didn’t know

If you experience any type of complications you need to sue the hell out of that office! They were irresponsible and just carelessly didn’t do their jobs!

I would literally sue

19 Likes

They should absolutely have done an ultrasound.

4 Likes

Was there a possibility of twins? And you loss one of the babies?

15 Likes

This happened to a co worker of mine she thought she was having a miscarriage went to the hospital they confirmed she had a miscarriage sent her home. A month later she found out she was still pregnant she drank and did some other things when she thought she miscarried and baby was fine.

Sue the absolute life out of them!!! Ps congratulations my lovely… xxx

My mom went thru this. We were out of state and she started bleeding so she went to the er and they said there was no heart beat. When we got back home she went to her ob and nothing was wrong. The doctor or of state tried to do a dnc on the spot but refused. Thank God

With my daughter i was told i was miscarrying multiple times but i had a Subchorionic bleed

This is what happened to me I thought I had miscarried ,and a month later they are telling me I am pregnant!!!I was given a due date for a month later than the previous due date I had been given. My daughter came a month early ,and weighed 6lbs 4oz …The mystery remains .did she have a twin ,or did I never have a miscarriage they couldn’t tell me yes, or no .