Has anyone ever owed back child support?

Anyone ever owes back child support so that when you file your taxes, you have an offset that will be taken out of your return and ever have the IRS take double the amount that was owed?? IRS took out of state and federal.

17 Likes

I know plenty of females that get the money paid back for the arrears of not paying the child support. It will happen every year till it is paid.

They are only supposed to take what is owed!! I would call about it if I was you!

They will send whatever was over paid back eventually. The whole process of taking your tax return takes for ever. My husband got half of our taxes takin every year for a few years and it was never applied to the back amount till MONTHS later.

My husband has a child support case and before we got married when he would do his taxes his return go to child support if he was behind on it. We now do injured spouse on are taxes that way half goes to child support and the other half to us

1 Like

No. I’m not sure why it’d be double unless it’s all the arrears or there was a new judgement found that upped the amount. Easy way to solve is call childsupport get reciept mailed of what was owed and what’s been paid. And then call the irs and explain they took too much out. If it was taken in error it’d be paid back eventually. On the other hand if there’s been an issue paying in the past why not let them have it and put towards future payments so youre not behind again ? Just make sure paperwork and receipts are in order

1 Like

I worked as a child support case manager for 12+ years. If you owe back support the IRS will intercept the entire refund. However, as the obligor, you have rights such as: filing injured spouse, or a conference board with your agency requesting only half be taken etc.
IRS certification is based on the previous months debt. There should never be double the amount taken, it’s against the law. Make sure to talk with your agency and figure out what is going on. It’s possible it’s a mistake.

2 Likes

My ex owes back support i get his taxes some times its usually a year later. They did one year take monthly amounts and his taxes but ended up refunding some of the monthly they were taking…are u sure u dont owe double the amount if ur not paying monthly but sapose to they will take double…child support in reality will take what they want if anything left over that isnt owed eventually will make its way back to you …offsets take forever

Not every year. My daughters dad is behind 6 grand and has been for 4 years now. Im not sure what or how he is going about not having his taxes taken other then 3 parents that work for government

1 Like

I do taxes for a living. If you owe child support and the person you owe it to is getting assistance of any kind they can take both your state and federal tax refunds up to the total amount due.

2 Likes

I wanna know how to get my ex signed up for this cuz I’ve filed for child support at least 6 times I can remember in the last 12 yrs and nothing ever comes of it

2 Likes

My husband gets 0 taxes. He owes a lot of back child support. He’s paying current & back out of his check every week too. Maybe eventually it’ll be paid off.

2 Likes

They took my baby daddy’s state and federal, and sent it all to me.

1 Like

Are you sure your husband doesn’t have more kids out there you don’t know about? Maybe the other half is going to kids he’s not acknowledging.

2 Likes

Not owed it but that is what they do.

Simple solution dont be behind on child support :woman_shrugging:

12 Likes

My sons dad is over 5k behind again. He was this time last year too and they set me his federal and state.

1 Like

Don’t get behind!:woman_facepalming:t2: can you imagine if the custodial parent thought that way too? Who’s gonna look after the child’s needs? What if YOU pay for ALL LIVING EXPENSES for the child and the other parent slack on their payments…how you feel when it’s all YOU doing the work and paying bc some grown ass can’t take care of their child?! :woman_facepalming:t2: get real

My only question is how this fathers go on with they life knowing that they not paying for they own children? How they can possible sleep at night?? I just can’t even imagine how they can go on it even watch they self in the mirror

8 Likes

My sons dad is behind more than 20k… he doesn’t even file his taxes because he knows it will come straight to me! Lol I’m fine with it because it will all catch up with him​:joy::woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

My baby’s dad owes 11,000 back pay and refuses to do his taxes. Let him dig his hole again :joy::joy:

1 Like

My kids dad has always been behind in child support Serena and Paige was 30,000 behind on both and they never took his federal or state and same with my youngest he been behind close 5,000 and they never took his either.Serena and Paige dad passed away last summer they’re both over 18 so they get nothing now and he hadn’t seen them in 13 years by his choice my youngest dad last seen her when she was 3 and he 17 now.he pays when wants to pay and irs doesn’t do dang thing about it,and yes it’s court order

1 Like

If you divorce. God for bid but dont you think any children you have with him would deserve child support? So why dont you want his children to get support? I dont understand. And yes if his ss number is on your return yhey can take all he owes. If return is not enough and he maked no attempt to start paying then they will take next year and every year after until current.

No, but an idiot I was with always had to deal with this

After the children grow up they give it to the mother even if she was not there for them when they were growing up I am talking about family members or who ever helped the kids don’t get the money

If they took double what you owed and sent it to support and enforcement once support and enforcement sees this error they will send you a check for whatever was over paid.

1 Like

Good luck with that. My father beat the system but shit was different in the 80s and 90s. All they need is a cash paying job. Whatever they owe kiss almost all of it gone and move on.

My son’s father is almost always in arrears and one year they took all of his tax return towards what he owed

I like how everyone is assuming that it’s the father or her husband who is behind. Moms that don’t have their kids have to pay as well.

Either way the only solution the poster has is to not get behind. It sucks but thats.just how it is. Don’t have kids if you can’t take care of them.

4 Likes

my boyfriend doesn’t even get to see his kids and he’s paying over 600$ for child support and only left for 120$ for himself every two weeks. it’s ridiculous and sad.

1 Like

My husband owes back support for his other child an they took both State & federal when he called the IRS they told him they will only take the amount owed an nothing extra if u pay off the total amount an u still have a little money left they will issue it to u but if ur return is less than the amount owed they will also take whatever remaining owed balance is next year.

My ex owes over $75K and he hasn’t filed takes in probably 8 years. He thinks it’s free to raise children properly.

Happened to my ex. You gain money yet owe arrears. The child would get money not paid so your gain goes to child.

They will give federal back in 5 months…if the state was enough to cover it…if it was not you wont get any back. Each year they will keep taking until you or whomever are caught up.

My husband has cousdy of his oldest and her birth mom NEVER has paid her court order child support so they take her income tax both federal and state and give it to him every year.

My ex was like $2,000 behind and they took his entire taxes to pay it.

My fiancee wasnt behind on his child support but for some reason they took 600 of his tax return.

If someone owes so much back child support that it gets to the point where they are going after a tax return…I would check with child support, more might be owed than he/she is telling. Also, there are other reasons money could be taken, such as student loans not paid.

Double wasnt taken from us