Has Anyone Given the Rights Up of Their Child?

This question was submitted to our community via our Facebook page and/or our Answers forum. Responses are also taken from the community. If you have your own parenting or relationship question you would like answers to, submit on Facebook or Answers.

QUESTION:

"Has anyone dealt with an incorrigible child that they turned over to children and youth services? Had to give up their rights due to the child being uncontrollable and disrespectful. If so, what was the process?"

RELATED: 6-Year-Old Fatally Stabbed By Mother After Her Parental Rights Had Been Terminated

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

The following top answers have been selected by a moderator from hundreds of responses to the original question.

"If they are that bad, send then to boot camp."

"The only way I’m giving up my child to an institution is if they’ve tried to seriously harm me or anyone in my household with malicious intent"

"Boot camp would be better than just giving up on your child. Wow."

"Have you tried everything possible? Therapy, medication, discipline, etc? How old is this child? Is there a family member that can take the child?"

"You can’t rehome kids like dogs. Especially into the system where it’s unreliable and unrealistic to believe they’ll be cared for. With that being said depending on circumstances I would look into group homes for behavioral services where you can still be an active parent involved in the solution instead of the problem."

"Look into an at risk youth facility. These places help rehabilitate youth as well as teach parents how to handle outbursts and other situations. I work at one, and by the time the youth leave us, they are on a great road to recovery."

"Your first step would be to call cps. Also there may be underlying medical issues they could help you with. You all need to stop mom shaming. You don’t know the circumstances and this may be the only way she knows how to help her child."

"I’m not sure what the process is, but maybe you can contact your local children and youth and talk to them about it. And I’m disappointed in a lot of y’all. We don’t know the circumstances at all so why put someone down that is probably hanging on by a thread. I mean, it is her child!! My oldest brother was awful to my siblings and I growing up. Emotionally and physically violent. I’m honestly surprised he didn’t end up killing one of us."

"I’m so sorry you are going through this. I can’t imagine how difficult and heartbreaking this must be for you. I would speak to Child services about how to go about this if it truly is what you want/need to do for the best interest of you and your child."

"I WAS the child that was surrendered and let me tell you all it does is increase the anger and hate… I literally didn’t shed a tear when my “mom” died last July… if you want to know why your child is acting out, maybe go to therapy…"

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW: