Has anyone had to deliver a baby alone?

Has anyone here delivered a baby at the hospital alone? No friend or family there to help no one but you and the docs and the baby. What do I need to prepare for this that hardest?

17 Likes

I did with my third, seriously loved the whole experience. I was sad that my partner wasn’t there but the doctors and midwives went above and beyond to make me feel like I was surrounded by loved ones. They took my phone and took photographs/videos from the moment he was born. They are prepared to help mothers who are alone and feeling more anxious because of that. You’ve got this!

2 Likes

I haven’t , but I will say you won’t feel alone with all the nurses and support they give . They are the sweetest!

I have not…
But the nurses are angels sent from heaven. Trust in them and allow yourself to be vulnerable. Follow their instructions and you will be just fine
Good luck mamma.

4 Likes

This was me with my 3rd…it was just me and the dr actually…it’s gonna be hard I won’t lie to u…but when that baby is out and placed in ur arms it’ll all be worth it❤️ I also cut the cord myself as well which was very cool!

1 Like

I have not but with all the amazing women in this group I can assure you you won’t have to alone if you don’t want to. I’m in MA… if you’re close I’ll be there for you!

8 Likes

I will honestly say I delivered my last baby all by myself and it was the most relaxed birth ive ever had if i could go back id do them all by myself

3 Likes

I did with my son, the midwives were wonderful. While it can be a sad and scary time being alone, it is important to believe in yourself and your body. You will find the courage right when you need it. You got this. It’s very empowering to do it alone actually, just be calm, try not to stress and keep a positive attitude. We both nearly died as we had alot of complications but the midwives and drs were amazing. Kept me calm and my boy is now 8 yrs old. Good luck, :+1:

3 Likes

Yes twice 🩷🩵 just relax and enjoy the experience :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :baby: X

Grab the bed rail and hold on you got this

My third I was alone. Even being premature…was my easiest birth! I may have even chosen it if I had another baby to be honest.

In a way yes. My mom was at the hospital but she was with my son who has special needs. I delivered my daughter alone, minus the entire team that they had to call in. She had swallows meconium. I spent most of the labor at home, by the time I arrived at the hospital I was 9cm. I was more annoyed when my son was born and his dad was there. They kept calling him from work. The only thing would be to pack your favorite snacks so that you have snacks you like. Everyone was super nice and helpful. The neurologist who was called to check my daughter, his mom was a surgeon there and went to visit her after and brought her a dress. The thought is scarier than the experience.

2 Likes

The nurses will be by your side. When your alone they are very attentive I’ve heard.

1 Like

Years ago, family members, including the father, were not allowed in the delivery room. Mom & doc & other med personnel. Guess what? When the time comes, you won’t care.

1 Like

When i gave birth 2yrs ago the hospital was still doing covid protocol. I tested positive and they kicked my hubby out. I had no friends nor family in the city n since i was positive no one could come visit. The hospital even tried to keep my newborn away from me. They told me that if they bring her to me id have to keep her in my room, id get no rest cause they were not going to help me with baby, the nurses were not going check up on us as aften as they normaly do either. My phone died right before c-section so couldn’t call anyone.

It was sad but peaceful, and the baby was all mine for 2 whole days❤️ i had some good sleep besides nurses interrupting. I actually liked being alone with my own power to birth a human.
This 3rd time i had my sis n hubby with me n I was more scared n worried.

Take entertainment for urself. Rest rest rest. Even let the nurses watch baby for a few hours to get some rest or even a peaceful shower.

I did. It had to be the toughest one too. Not pain wise (even tho that was pretty bad…) but emotionally. It was our 4th baby and we were placing him for adoption. I had a scheduled c section for him because it had been only a year since i had a emergency c section. But two weeks before my date i went into labor. I thought it was Braxton hicks contractions all day until my water broke at supper time. Called ambulance because i couldn’t walk, move, nothing and no car. My husband had to stay home with the kids. I let the adoptive parents know on my way to the hospital n i was hoping they would make it in time but they lived a couple hours away so i labored and gave birth alone. It was so hard. If i were u, id take a security item. Blanket, teddy bear, anything that brings u comfort. Maybe if anyone u know is willing to be on video call? The nurses normally do a awesome job of helping too

2 Likes

I had to do it alone, my husband was a 6 hour drive away from me and was 30 mins too late, I had a social worker there with me and it was so nice to have her there with me, I had a C-section and it was an awesome experience with a lot of laughs with everyone in the operating room, ask your hospital for a social worker. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Yep…twins!! The nurses were amazing and held my hand. You CAN do this!!!

I did. All 3 pregnancies I was alone. I enjoyed the delivery to the fullest. All those memories are MINE to cherish. I had everything I wanted by beside my bed. Pen, notepad, and water bottle. My hospital bag had my undies, pads, towel, sports bra, pj’s and I had a separate bag I had what I wanted the baby to come out the hospital in, a baby blanket and a cap.

My ex husband wasn’t there other for me to actually give birth. It was my first and only child. My nurses were the best. They helped me through it all.

I did and it was my only c section so it was the worst just try to stay positive I know I felt lonely but its temporary and you have the strength to get through it 🫶🏻🥺that moment isnt forever so dont dwell on it too much if anything you come out even stronger bc you did it on ur own

I haven’t done this, but if you have to, please look into a doula. You need someone by your side to help advocate for you :heart:.

The nurses were wonderful and very compassionate. As I got into the later stages of labor, a nurse stayed with me, coached me and just took care of me.

I did it with my daughter and tbh it wasn’t bad. Probably was the best outcome possible considering everything I had going on at the time. Biggest tip is rest before baby is there… because it is you doing everything after that. Don’t be afraid to ask for the nurses help either if you need to shower or whatever else afterwards. They are there to help. You’ll do great :heart:

I was alone with my middle son, but it was by choice, he was sperm donor invitro. I enjoyed it, I didn’t have to share my baby, no one was touching him or trying to hold him. It was just him and I, to this day we have a very strong bond. It’s always been him and I

I have and I can tell you that the nurse there with me was the BEST. From the moment she realized I was there alone her instincts kicked in and she supported me through the whole thing, letting me squeeze her hand. Telling me how strong I am, hugging me, doing counter pressure, taking pics of me and baby, she dressed me after birth and helped get my pad and underwear on. Including cleaning me up. Postpartum/L&D nurses are godsends. You will be in great hands :two_hearts: and it’s empowering as hell doing it alone :muscle:t2:

Following. I’m preparing for this in 1-2 weeks and I’m scared

Yes. I have. Drove my self to hospital, gave birth and drove my self back the next day.
When the nurses started acting like cows it became clear to me WHY you need somebody there… somebody to tell the nurses to stop their attitude…
Like I had been on my hands and knees for much of the labour because I was more comfortable that way, then they told me to get up on the bed, and I could not get up from the floor and they were rolling their eyes in their head because I asked them to help me… I was shocked but in too much pain to give them an earful. What you have to prepare… hard to say… bring everything, change of clothes, toiletries, baby clothes, water, maybe snacks for the next day…phone charger :wink: you can do this… just focus on the job at hand and think about any depressing stuff 6 months later :sweat_smile:

Yes I did with my daughter as my partner didn’t make it in time! Wasn’t as bad as I thought, had a lot of support of the midwife and doctors and consultants :sparkling_heart:

All three of my children were born without anyone being present other than the medical team and I can honestly say that I was fine with no distractions and it being about me…

I have I think it hurt way more sure I had nurses but I had no one to calm me down and help relax plus I was only 18

I’m in MO if you need someone!
You got this, Mama! :heart:
Feel free to message me if you just need a friend to talk to as well!

Yes and it was better than you having to worry about your family or friends are thinking or doing.
There is you and your midwife. Listen to your midwife and it will be a great experience. I had 5 without family or friends

I haven’t but I would recommend a doula. If you can’t afford a doula you should be able to find a student doula who needs to attend a few births before becoming a licensed/certified doula and is willing to attend with you for free.

4 Likes

My husband blew his back out the night I went into labor so he wasn’t able to go to the hospital with me. My cousin did meet me at the hospital but was only there for the birth then left. So the next 24 hours I didn’t have break to go outside and get some fresh air or able to take a shower. Most of the day nurses were great but the night nurse sucked. But it is 24 hours. It wasn’t horrible. You will be able to get more sleep. My delivery nurses were most supportive then my cousin was.

1 Like

I wish I delivered my daughter alone. I wanted to. My ex was extremely stressful. I had to go through the C-section part of my son’s delivery alone. It wasn’t that bad. The nurses become your support system. I had 1 nurse who held my hand, narrated what was happening, talked to me etc. She was amazing at keeping me calm. (Not easy)

It’s not the delivery were told to want. But it’s not the end of the world. It may actually be the best thing for you & baby. Think about there’s no other medical procedure that you bring your family into the room with you.

I’m a mom of 4 young men any questions feel free to hit me up …plenty of mama’s on here will be a listening ear :heart:

If I was closer no doubt I would come sit and do for you until baby is born , but I’m in Manitoba Canada

1 Like

Honestly having someone can be over rated for most of the time they complain and nag it’s taken to long or they wanna touch everything. Bring some comfy pj if your nursing you don’t want nothing hard against your breast they get tender, socks for you maybe crossword puzzles or a good book. Bring pads the kind you like they supply them but they ain’t the best. Pack you a go home outfit something comfy. Remember you’ll be a lot smaller leaving hospital.Pack about 2 outfits for lil one they supply all the diapers and wipes and you’ll leave with some but just in case it won’t hurt to pack a few for trip home. Who will be driving u to hospital? You’ll need to have a safe car seat hospitals around here wants to inspect them before baby gets loaded up in vehicle. A few spit up clothes. Most important know your going to do great the hospital staff is amazing and they will be there if you get scared. Breath you got this and lil one will be lucky they have u…