Has anyone tried a trial separation?

Work it out or sack it. No such thing as break from relationship :roll_eyes: thats more of a excuse to go fkin around and come back when the funs over.

Hard as heck to do. Working on it right now, not sure what will happen in the end.

Nope. There is nothing you and he need to work out separately that you cant acheive together. The behavior he and you will have during that separation time will eat at you.

Ask yourself if you can forgive his dating &sleeping with other women while you are on this break.

So none of you know what marriage is huh. Sad.
Thru sickness and health.
Til death!. Not ā€œIā€™m sick of you, Iā€™m going to get random sex from someone I donā€™t know and come crawling back looking like a foolā€

My husband & I did a trial separation & got back together & our marriage has never been stronger!

We had our 3rd child in May 2019. About 4 month later, we were constantly having issues & one day we had an argument that was ā€œthe straw that broke the camelā€™s backā€. I told him I was done in September 2019. After many, many conversations, with no change & more problems being added, I couldnā€™t take it anymore. It was effecting our kids, our jobs, my happiness, Iā€™m sure his happiness, etc. It was so unhealthy. We separated our finances, our social lives, sleeping spaces, everything. We did stay living together, but it was very strict no physical contact, no ā€œI love youā€, no anything. We didnā€™t even really see each other, because we would try to avoid each other at almost all costs. For a year we stayed like that, & we both focused on ourselves & our children. We even talked to other people & did our own things. After a year, in October 2020, we reevaluated everything, & went out to dinner together & had a very serious talk. We were ready to file for divorce or work it out. We decided to work it out, since both of us had been working on fixing ourselves, & put everything out on the table & spent a really long time talking about our past issues & our expectations going forward. I ended up getting pregnant within a month, & now we have a 4th kid together, & our marriage is so much stronger & we are so much happier & more open with each other. Our kids have even noticed a huge difference in our lives, & Iā€™m proud to say that weā€™ve successfully gotten through almost everything that could be thrown at us as a couple at this point.

Yes, my SO and I broke up when I was a few montgs pregnant with our baby , the day I went into labor is the day we got back together, and now happily married

I havenā€™t, but threatened. It was enough for him & I to come together as partners. Weā€™ve been married a year this month and couldnā€™t be happier.

Yes, we did. For 3 months. Our relationship is better than ever. Other than those 3 months we will be together for 13 years in Jan. We had separated 2 years ago.

I moved out and went back once,wasnā€™t even there a week before it got violent again. Never went back. His loss,not mine.

He cheated while separated so it didnā€™t last

My ā€œtrial separationā€ ended up with me being happier without him. Ended up divorcing after 3 months of separation after a 7 year marriageā€¦:woman_shrugging:

Me and my husband separated for 6 months. Been back together for 2 years. And fixing to celebrate our 10 year. The separation was one of the best things for us. It made us both realize that we were to dependent on each other and not ourselves.

Separated from my husband for a couple months about 2.5 years ago.
We had one rule which was not to sleep with/start anything up with anyone.
We worked through a lot and recommitted to eachother.
We celebrate 11 years next month

4 Likes

Yes, separated for 8 monthsā€¦ doing great now!

I have no advice but this is what my and my man are going thrušŸ˜…

Separate , he wants cake and icing . He will miss you .

Separations never work for me.

Coworkers. They separate for almost a year

Iā€™ve separated from mine 2 times going on my thirdā€¦ I gave it a GOOD TRY Iā€™m just doneā€¦ not everything works outā€¦ but hopefully itā€™s different for you guysā€¦:heart::heart:

Following. Starting this process now with my husband.

My husband and I were separated for about a month. He walked in the door with tears in his eyes one night, pulled me to him so tight I could barely breathe, and told me he never wanted to live without me. We both put in the work and now a year and a half later our marriage is amazing and I wouldnā€™t change a thing.

It just depends on your situation. You know the both of you better than strangers on the internet. But for what itā€™s worth, sometimes you need that separation to have honest reflection.

Separated and triedā€¦ultimately stayed sperated for almost 10 years, had it dissolved in October 2017. I think he got married the next week lol and I had a baby that December with my current partner.

Yes. After about 3 weeks we got back together bc we couldnt stand being away from eachother anymore. We been married for almost 9 years now.

I donā€™t see why anyone would be giving u and angry emoji. Ur asking for advice . Iā€™ve done the seperation thing before and I ended up not going back bc I was happier without him and so was my kid. He was abusive tho. Sometimes u have to do it that way bc of the level of craziness. Like weaning a baby a little at a time.

1 Like

Last year, my husband of 10 years did thisā€¦we were apart about 8 monthsā€¦it was hard, but needed

Iā€™m currently separated from my husband, Iā€™ve filed divorce papers, but the courts are backed up, so it has taken almost two years, still no court date. I will say, being away from him, and on my own, Iā€™ve learned just how happy I am, just being a single Momma. He lied to me about, pretty much his entire existence, including children he never told me about. Whole big thing there. The plan was a 6 month separation, weā€™d work it out and try again. Turns out, I donā€™t want to. Filed the papers. I can do what I want, when I want, without someone talking down to me, or making me feel silly. My house stays cleaner, even with my toddler. I love it. :woman_shrugging:t3:

Just get the divorce. Get it all over with and if one day you rekindle it then you start over. If not then at least itā€™s all over and you can move on

Tried. Ended up being permanent bc he ā€œno longer loves meā€

Thatā€™s just an excuse to cheat

2 Likes

Wasnā€™t a trial, but we had to separate,

Nope I feel like if I need to be away from him ā€¦we no longer have a reason to be together šŸ¤· I canā€™t say Iā€™ve been with someone over ten years if I took breaksā€¦
I have friends who took breaks or just split and got back together only for it to be a cycle or end time after time. Itā€™s not for me personally but everyone is different.

14 Likes

Relationships should be a collaboration not compromise. Compromising all the time is hard work. Collaborating should be fun most of the time. All this ā€˜death till you partā€™ business is disturbing. People grow as individuals and sometimes outgrow their partners.
Thereā€™s no shame in change.
The only people who benefit from the ā€˜death till you partā€™ side of marriage are the abusive spouses. Happy spouses donā€™t need a vow to remind them to stay. Happy spouses donā€™t need a vow to force them to stay.

Yes and the number one thing is donā€™t wait until the relationship is too far gone to do the separation aka donā€™t wait until the breaking point. It works best when you have a feeling things are going downhill but resentment hasnā€™t begun. Lay down the terms on whether youā€™re together and just living in your own spaces or truly considering it a friendship for awhile and go from there. It can work if you havenā€™t let hatred brew.

1 Like

No such thing as separation. Youā€™re either together or ya not. Relationships take effort and hard work. Shit isnā€™t easy. Go to counseling if you have to nothing wrong with that. Anything to work ON your relationship not against it. Separation is working towards ending things not repairingā€¦ā€¦.

Ya we were together 3 years, separated when I was pregnant with my oldest and didnā€™t get back together for 6 yearsā€¦after 6 years apart we ended up back together and have been together for 4 almost 5 years now and have since had 2 more boys and another on the way and we also moved 2k miles from our home and started fresh.

Yep. My husband and I separated for 8 months once. We were very disconnected, I was angry at him for making me feel like he was taking me for granted and so on. We had bee together 7 years and married 4ā€¦ October we will be married 15 years :heart:. You have to want it to work and put in the work.

We did, for about a monthā€¦we have now been married for 15 years! Pm me if you want to talk

Yes, we did, and now weā€™re divorced.

My friend did this and her husband ended putting his penis in another woman

Ztxyyufudydystustjsfilhohgpu you hjq

We werenā€™t married but had been together for about 8 years. We broke up I moved out we didnā€™t contact each other for about a month then we tried to be friends and a few weeks later things were back to the way they were. I noticed him taking me for granted and for me being more unhappy then happy. We talked again. I was very firm that things were going back to before and I just wasnā€™t ok with that. I told him we either needed more time apart or to just stay friends bc things always ended up as they were. Thatā€™s when things really changed. We both knew we were both serious about wanting things to be better, preferably together, but something had to give. We decided to work on things and slowly became a couple once again. We now have two boys and been tougher 14 years. Change is inevitable but both parties have to be willing and ready to work through the changes good or bad. If both isnā€™t ready or willing might as well hang it up and enjoy being happy even if that means alone.

Why angry reaction, Laura Oā€™Dwyer?

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Has anyone tried a trial separation? - Mamas Uncut

Every situation is different. You have to look at what was the reasons for separation. Sit down with your partner & talk things threw in a calm adult manner. Ultimately no matter anyone elseā€™s thoughts or opinions you two make the decision to either make or break it. Counciling is an option & not a be all end all option either, itā€™s more so a unbiased opinion & mediator that knows how to ask the questions you may not know to ask or how to ask

2 Likes

Ever seen friends?? ā€œWe were on a breakā€ no thanks!!!

5 Likes

Naw I donā€™t believe in that. They wanna do that so they can go visit with other people to see if it makes them happier. A team work together, as a team.

9 Likes

There is a tiktoker who separated from their partner and itā€™s been for the better. The partner realized that the tiktoker was being serious and started working on themself so that they could be a better parent and in turn they are a better person. They are considering getting back together because of how things have changed.

2 Likes

We didā€¦ for 2 months. It was hell, expensive and emotional. We got back together after 4 weeks and he moved back in at 8 weeks. Then counseling 2x a week for a month and then once a week. I donā€™t recommend. Just go to counseling if you both really want it to workā€¦

6 Likes

Yes I have it gave us time to work on ourselves and grow came back and things are better then ever if you do the work it can work

4 Likes

Been there it doesnā€™t work. separation, is more like its over. When one wants to separate they are telling you they want out. Canā€™t make a person stay. If the person is forced its going to get ugly.

2 Likes

I feel like once you make the choice to separate then that choice becomes optional all the time everytime something happens. Than you realize your better apart than you are together.

1 Like

This is code for itā€™s over!

11 Likes

Thereā€™s only a few things that I can say here. If either of you feels like youā€™re losing or lost yourselves (as individuals) in your relationship, separating is the best solution. Each person who wants to be in a relationship should be at the point where they can have a healthy relationship. If it means separating and potentially revisiting the idea of a relationship, go for it. Every time I see someone worrying about the ā€œwhat ifā€™sā€, I know that they donā€™t have a healthy relationship at all, and theyā€™re desperately grasping for straws. Itā€™s ok to go forward with all of the uncertainty - maybe youā€™ll eventually work things out; maybe he will find someone else; maybe youā€™ll find someone elseā€¦ who really knows. No matter what, life goes on. Your happiness shouldnā€™t solely rely on one person - go live your life and have fun!

1 Like

No. Leaving cannot be an option or it will always be an option.

2 Likes

Following. My husband just left me for a trial separation. I am devastated.

9 Likes

My husband and I were separated for five years and then got back together after we both did a lot of work on ourselves. Weā€™ve been back together for over a year and itā€™s going so much better than o ever thought possible

4 Likes

It opens doors for seeing other ppl.

5 Likes

It might work if both of u are in marriage counseling depending on the reasons for living apart. Usually, it only gives the parties opportunity to see other people.

I know a couple who divorced and later remarried.

1 Like

Unless itā€™s a short, Imma go visit my mom type thing, itā€™s just going to drive your lives further apart. Partners, or itā€™s just not worth it.

Didnā€™t work with anyone Iā€™ve known thatā€™s tried. šŸ¤·

I tried that, didnt work at all. If you are living separately and separate lives it doesnt bring you closer if just adds more uncertainty. 12/10 dont recommend.

21 Likes

My husband and I separated 2 years ago for about 3 months. My decision. I hadnā€™t planned on us getting together again, it just happened after some talking.

I did it. It worked beautifully. We treated it like dating though. Occasional sleep overs, lunch here or there, but over all seperated. It was 6 months, and it worked wonderfully. But i do believe if it is going to work, BOTH parties are going to have to find help, and need to be willing to change. Then couples counseling once back together.

7 Likes

Tbh if it donā€™t work the 1st time itā€™s not going to work the 2nd 3rd or 144 times UNLESS there is a huge change made in both parties good luck

12 Likes

I know a couple that did this and honestly saved their relationship. They both got together right out of another relationship. They still had baggage to deal with from the old relationships. They went to therapy separately and then together. It also brought them closer to God. Anything is possible in relationships.

3 Likes

Yes. We have restarted 3 times. Now WE are ready to give eachother the love we can share. We are twin flamesšŸ„°

Yes, my husband and I were separated for a year, and that was two years ago and we are stronger now than we ever have been!

7 Likes

Tried and didnā€™t work, she ended up starting a new relationship and life went on lol

Isnā€™t a separation a ā€œtrial divorceā€ ?

My husband and I separated for a year, then got back together. We was together for 10 years when we separated. We have been together for 17 years now. It did help alot for the first few years we got back together. Everything was good. But this quarantine has made me hate him. LoL

2 Likes

Yes. About 6 months. We both had stipulations for each other getting back together. We took things slow. We now go to couples therapy which really pinpointed exactly where we were going wrong. Iā€™d say this is my healthiest relationship as of yet.

Saw it on greys anatomyā€¦ they didnā€™t make it. Lol sorry. All the reference I have

1 Like

11 months apart he did rehab and we did family counseling.
After 10 years together countless breakups before the big one (3 years ago) we are getting married on the 25th

1 Like

A ā€œbreakā€ from each other doesnā€™t fix anything! Get some counseling!

1 Like

It always solidified every breakup of mine. Iā€™m glad we did them so I could see that!

Statistics show that 87% of couples that go through a separation end up divorcing where as only 13% choose to get back together and who knows what percentage of that
13% are happy :woman_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

My parents separated for a year, had new relationships, even burned their marriage license. They got back together and were happily married until the day my mom passed away.

1 Like

It worked for my parents. But that was like 20 years ago. :sweat_smile:

2 years me back together now

1 Like

Tried a trial separation and he tried to trial a couple of new gfs. This after an 8 yr relationship. Needless to say we did not end up back together and harmonious even after a year of counseling and trying really hard.

1 Like

16 years over here. Never married to him and we have 3 kids. Separated once came back stronger than ever. But addiction has a way of creeping back into lives. I have since broke it off but we still live together. He just does he own thing as usual so why bother getting hurt again. What is meant to be will be in the end. So go with the flow.

That only works if yā€™all take the break to work on your selves and to prove to yourself that you are capable without each other. Then itā€™s about respect afterwards. Canā€™t really plan that or force it . Good luck!

My husband and I actually did this before we got pregnant with our first baby. We were separated for about 11 months, we both got help through family and lots of therapy as we both have severe mental health issues. Weā€™ve never been in a healthier and happier place than we are now with things continuing to go in a positive direction. Had we not taken this time to figure ourselves out, we wouldnā€™t still be together nor be as happy as we are.

Me and my girls stayed with my mom for about a month! My husband was unhappy the whole time we were gone. I would go to our shared house a couple times a week after he got out of work so he could see our girls! He begged us to come home so I did and weā€™ve been good ever since! And that was over 6months ago! But honestly it really depends on the person and if they want to change and be better! Our separation could have ended in a divorce if he realized he was happier without us!

If ya had to take a break like that it wasnā€™t genuine and your gonna inevitably need another and itā€™ll become habitual so it ainā€™t real, just forced

Yes. Weā€™ve been together for over 8 years and when we separated it was the best thing for our relationship. It made us both realise what he had i guess.

Me n My Boyfriend Now Were Married Like 12 Yrs Agoā€¦We Broke Up When Our Daughter Was Almost 1ā€¦Got Back Together When She Was 8 n Talked As He Wanted Me Back As I Was More On The Cautious Side For a While Now Our Daughter Will Be 12 n December n He Has Another Bonus Daughter He Loves Very Much As His Ownā€¦We Just Bought a House All Paid n Full n Do Gotta Say People Do Change As He Has Gone Above n Beyond n Sooo Very Blessedā€¦

Yes. About a month. We are a lot better and closer now.