Having a struggling mom moment and need some other moms opinions

But if this is your only issue with him, count your blessings & just try not to be so overbearing! Sounds like you’re doing a good job & just a worried momma.

2 Likes

You’d cancel something important a milestone in his life over a uncharged phone. Your hovering parenting, let me tell you you’ll push him away being like that. I could see you take away a video game privilege if it’s that important to you, but it shouldn’t be. Kids now a days are stuck on there phone he is with his father his parent not out causing havoc with teens. You need to relax

1 Like

What did I just read :joy::joy:

4 Likes

Maybe he is not allowed to have it when he is with dad and dad takes it from him

1 Like

As many parents complaining about their kids being social media addicts and you’re mad because your kid… doesn’t care about a phone…?? :rofl:

3 Likes

Most ppl have the opposite problem. Count yourself lucky hes not addicted to it

Maybe he just doesn’t want to talk to you. I know lots of kids do this including my own child and stepchildren with their mom.

I have a 11 year old whom just doesn’t care about his phone like my 13 year old or 16 year old. When they were 11 I think my daughter got an iPad not phone yet but the 11 year old got lucky. We upgraded phones so he got a hand me down phone. He just doesn’t care to keep it on him or charged. He plays video games and at night if his phone isn’t charged, he just lays in bed and plays with toys. Most kids are addicted. Only a few are not. I don’t see this as a bad thing really. No news is good news.

My 14 year old boy is the same. My 15 year old daughter I might as well Velcro it to her hand🤣 it’s dad’s time so let him be with dad. If needed contact dad. Maybe have a talk about once driving rules will be in place for phone etc. Don’t take away drivers Ed for a boy being a boy

Is it possible that dad DOES have issue with the phone and your boy is only saying he doesn’t because obviously its something you take very seriously and he just doesn’t want there to be any arguments or issues to an already strained relationship between his parents?.

2 Likes

If this is your only problem with him then wow you are a very lucky woman. Was is it such an issue? Are you sure its not your problem rather than his

1 Like

I read this exact post a few days ago on a different page with similar responses, lmao waiting for people to see it your way or what :rofl::woman_facepalming:

1 Like

I think the issue is really he wants to spend time with dad and you said he’s not someone you can just talk to . I would believe him and maybe help him out a bit. Maybe he doesn’t pay any mind to the phone cause he’s really trying when he’s there and any failed attempts make him sad and he just doesn’t know how to process.

I wouldnt take away him learning how to drive over not keeping a cell phone charged

2 Likes

I’d tell him you’re going to take the phone from him until he decides to act responsible. All households have rules to follow.(And keep to your word)I’d add the same thing will happen with driving privileges if he’s not going to act responsible over a cell phone… just my opinion

1 Like

Tell him he has to keep phone plugged in/charged when in the car - or no car priveleges (for practice driving and using car once license is obtained).

My daughter begged me for a phone and when I finally got her one she realized it wasn’t as fun as she thought is was going to be. She uses all of her data up almost immediately then when she can’t watch videos she’s pretty much done with it. She’s 13

Does he have everything he needs at dads to keep it charged?
And it is possible there is problem at dads with phone. Your son may not want to tell you for fear of starting issues.
I had similar situation and it turned out to be their dad making comments about them texting me or calling me while it was “his time”. It’s since been resolved but mine didn’t want to say why till one night my daughter was calling me and whispering.
Phones take a bit of getting used to. It IS a big responsibility and it may be his first major one. Be patient. We’ve all fumbled with our phones before especially in beginning. Just keep reminding him and letting him know how you feel.
Don’t take drivers Ed away, that’s such a monumental thing to do to him & you. Especially when drivers Ed is focused on safety and I’m sure you want that for your son.

You’re right, the phone is a privilege. If he doesn’t care about it, then get rid of it and save some money. If he isn’t responsible about a phone, how do you expect him to be responsible about a car. For me, it’s a “NO” to both phone and driving. He’s not mature or responsible enough!

What are you worried about that you need to keep in contact with him for however long he’s with his dad? If it’s an emergency you can reach his dad? As long as he has a good relationship with his dad, and he’s happy visiting him let him focus on his time with him. However when he is driving he needs to have his phone on and charged in case of an emergency (flat tire, gets lost, runs out of gas, an accident)

I’m so confused I mean I get it but at the same time I think you’re taking it too far

Stick to your guns!!! If he can’t respect your rules - and act immature by not being responsible enough to handle a phone - he sure heck is responsible enough to have a license.

Are you kidding me this kid should not drive until 18 yrs old the way insurance is if he has an accident your insurance will be sky high and this has nothing to do with your phone problems this is how it is out there if he has anaccident you can be sued

I would have a problem with it for sure. For safety reasons, I have to be able to reach my kids at all times. Non negotiable.

If the dads not very cool it’s possible he’s giving the kid a hard time about it…

I would just let it go. It’s not a bad thing that he’s not constantly on his phone. And if it is a problem at dads and he’s having to turn the phone off then oh well. It’s dads house and dads rule. He can say the phone needs to be turned off.

I would not withhold driving from him because he doesn’t keep his phone charged or on at dads. You can always make a rule that the phone has to be on and charged when he drives the car.