Help with board game drama

My daughter is now 7 and we went through this and still do at times but we would play best out of 3 or 5 so this way she had more chances at winning but also lost… fast forward 2 years, she isn’t as bad as a sore loser but i tell her that I am the champ bc I’m the mom and she can beat me then she is really good bc I want to win to! Oh If she got upset I let her pout it out, she will get over it and it worked!

Act like him. Sometimes, you have to show kids what they look like when they’re having their tantrums. I used to do this with my daughter when she would have a tantrum. She would start crying and screaming and throwing herself down, so I would start “crying”, screaming and throw myself down. It usually stopped her tantrum.

Another option, use the do unto others mantra. You cheat, then deny it, throw a fit when you’re losing. When he calls you on it, take the moment to explain why it’s wrong to behave like ghat.

Alternatively, if you’re playing and he acts that way, simply end the game right then and there and send him to his room.

Kids learn correct behavior from incorrect behavior because we teach them. Each time he acts that way, it’s a learning opportunity.

If you don’t act now, he’s gonna be in for a rude awakening as he gets older and realizes life isn’t fair and you’re not always a winner.

He’s only 5 love try to exsplain it’s not bout winning bit having fun.its takes them time to learn that they can’t always win .

1 Like

Put them away till hes bit older

4 Likes

My son is 10 & it’s still the same way lol. I tell him to suck it up and try again life isn’t about winning all the time. He then focuses in and 9/10 times comes back and wins the next time. It’s tough love but a lesson

He’s only 5. He’s still learning how to control his emotions. If he cries just give him a hug and comfort him/

1 Like

Good luck got a 20 year old thats been like that his whole life and have tried I feel like everything

I think you gotta talk to mom and dad. That’s something that they should have already taught him.
My oldest is turning 6 in 2 weeks and has known that “I loose sometimes and that’s ok” since she was like 3 1/2. And gets pretty happy when other people win too.

4 Likes

He’s competitive and doesn’t know how to handle it yet. I think it will be better in time

Not a game person maybe this is why! Lol

1 Like

I never ever let mine win. He has to learn that everything isn’t going to go his way in life. He may as well learn it early.

7 Likes

No one wants to play with someone that acts like that. Tell him so, give him a couple warnings, that you will quit if he keep it up. Then walk away and stop playing with him when he doesn’t stop the behavior. It’s a good lesson. You’re putting up with it because you’re grandma. His friends won’t and quite frankly shouldn’t.

3 Likes

Being a good winner is also important. The adults he plays with are modeling behaviors he will eventually emulate.

As far as the cheating, I told my kids that was an automatic loss. it’ll upset him of course but it will also make him realize cheaters never win

3 Likes

I’m 53 and hate losing. I guess learning to squelch emotions takes practice. That drive to win can be strong.

Oh so it begins at 5? I have a 40 year old who stomps when he loses and starts tossing things :joy:

It’s JUST A GAME! The want to win is an amazing characteristic, means he’s seeking greatness, but he has to suffer losses to understand what winning really feels like!

2 Likes

I tell my kids to get over it its life. You win some you lose some if you whine about pout we will quite playing and we won’t play again

3 Likes

My son went through this stage. I told him if he was going to act like that we weren’t playing anymore and we stopped each time he acted like that. Then we explained it’s okay to not win every time. Explained it’s just a game.

4 Likes

At 5 years old they have to always win or the melt down starts, when he turns 6 they start to settle down, I have 2 boys a 5 year old , who I literally refuse to play with and a 6 year old who is happy to play , we let him win sometimes and then he loses and we laugh about it and so does he, as he grows he will learn that it’s not all about winning but right now he’s 5

I never, ever let my kids win at anything lmao if they want to be as good as me or anyone else, then they are told to practice just like everyone does. That’s the only way to get good/better at a game. You can’t just be a champion at anything on your first, second or even 3rd try!

10 Likes

Tell him you aren’t gonna play with him till he can be a better sport about losing, that you don’t act like that when you lose . Its alright to be upset about a loss but not to throw a fit about it.

3 Likes

My son is 7 almost 8 years old and has this trouble also. But he doesn’t cheat. He has to do things exactly how they are meant to be done and if things vear from that path he has a meltdown. He has a hard time understanding that by losing you learn from mistakes and are challenged to do better next time. He does have adhd but I think this is a phase most kids go through honestly. I wouldn’t let him win though just show him what a good winner looks like and when you lose show him what a good loser looks like. You are his role model. I’d rather the melt downs happen now with me and not later when he is playing with other people.

3 Likes

Ya that’s not how life works. I play games with a three year old and I don’t let him win…teach him it’s not about winning its about having fun…in real life not everyone wins…there is one winner and your either it or your not. Butter cup needs to learn to suck it up…

My 8yr old was like that for a couple years. It gets better but we would stop playing if he started acting like that. He had to learn that its not about winning, its about having fun while playing together.

2 Likes

This was a hard lesson to teach. Praying for you

It gets better as they age. My 6 year old is just starting to be a good sport. Sometimes we just put the game away when she starts cheating or fussing. You just can’t give in.

2 Likes

I tell my daughter we aren’t going to play unless we are a good sport if she starts acting getting to upset I reminded her what the game is about and that this is for fun. If we can’t calm down we will stop playing🤷🏻‍♀️

2 Likes

When he starts “ losing” it I would pack it up and explain that when he calms down we can get it back out. And as long as he plays nice we can play if not it goes away

2 Likes

If he cheats he loses. If hes caught cheating game over until he learns nobody wins all the time

Young one - be the adult- stop playing and explain if he acts this way - no more game. He will eventually grow out of this stage. But if you give in to this behavior it can manifest.

2 Likes

This is an important lesson because he will not always win in life and in the event he isn’t successful in something as an adult, he has to learn that it’s how we get through our failures is what matters. It may seem like just a bored game right now - but the lesson and his behavior behind it is a huge principle in so many ways. Don’t give in and don’t let him win this battle, teach him through it. You’re his momma, you got this :heart:

6 Likes

Tell him to stop being a little sh*t! Kidding!! The only thing you can really do it talk to him about it until it’s fully understood. Letting him get away w it , isn’t going to get you far. All kids go through this

2 Likes

I’d stop the minute he begins to throw q fit and leave them put away for some time and put him in time out. I’d also explain no one wants to play with liars.

2 Likes

Give it time. My stepson was HORRENDOUS with losing, I mean screaming level tantrums (he was 7-9 in this stage), then he was in sports & it finally clicked. He still doesn’t like it, but he handles it like a mature person should

Do not give in ! Make sure he agrees to be a good sport before you start the game if he acts up stop the game and put it up then explain to him how winning and losing are part of life you have to know how to do both. Then explain to him about how the journey of the game is what count and if he does it again just don’t like lay with him. You are the adult you control the outcome

Haha my son was the same, we kept winning he got used to it and kicks my ass now

Went through this also!! We ended up shelving games for a bit…just because the box says 0-99 doesnt necessarily mean they will play properly! He is a monopoly kid now…so not so bad just long! He also enjoys SkipBo as well as yahtzee…I find the games that require patterns or counting is alot easier when it comes to winning/losing the facts are in there boldly!

My 6 year old is the same way, very frustrating I’m sorry momma! I’m looking at the comments for suggestions

My son had this issue, I told him until he could act right, nobody would he playing with him

1 Like

Stop playing board games. Tell him if he can’t behave you’re not playing them anymore

3 Likes

My motto for my kids is as follows : you can’t always get what you want. That’s just life.

Let him win. They learn to accept losing at a later age.

Let him win and focus the learning on how to keep all the pieces together for the games. Mine has to put away the entire board game before she moves one to something else.

Never let them win :rofl:. If he starts acting out then just put the game up​:woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

I had 3 kids , only my son acted like this . Started at the age 6 and went til he was 9 years old . He would completely wipe out The Who board game with his arm or pick up the board game and flip it off the table . No one enjoyed playing with him so we stopped inviting him to play , He could only watch until he could handle his anger from losing.

6 Likes

Let him have his meltdown and ignore it. My boys did that as well. He has to learn that life is like that.

1 Like

I’m going through the exact same thing with my 4 and a half year old grandson who also received a lot of board games for Christmas ! We sometimes let him win also without his knowledge but we do not let him cheat. He also had been having meltdowns and it wasn’t fun for any of us either. To quickly break this habit, we would explain to him that games are supposed to be fun whether you win or lose, as soon as we see him starting to lean towards a meltdown we explain that he’s not having fun so we aren’t going to play with him anymore. Of course when we all got up and left the table, that’s when the real meltdown started but he learned quickly that he needs to play by the rules or no one will want to play with him. He calms himself down in his room and then comes out and says he’s ready to play again. Also, it helps when the adults are loosing to acknowledge that they’re loosing and say something to the other adult like, "or darn you had to go back 3 spaces but your still having fun right "!? If I myself has to go back 3 spaces (or whatever) I make a big deal and say, oh no, shucks and I laugh it off and he sees me still having fun.

3 Likes

I pack up the game if I see her throwing a fit and then it’s all done. But before we start the game, I explain you don’t throw a fit over losing and I don’t play with cheaters.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. But in school and in life no one wants to play with an a-hole or cheater. So the lessons start at home.

10 Likes

Stop playing when it happens, start putting the game away, let him have his melt down then sit and talk to him. Ask him how he feels when he loses and how he makes others feel when he’s being a poor sport.

5 Likes

I feel your pain. My former stepdaughter used to be the same way. Try dealing with that when they are 13 years old and know better. I got to the point I wouldn’t play games with her or if we played one she wasn’t allowed to play unless specific rules were laid down in a minute she started getting ridiculous, she was excused from the table.

2 Likes

My son is the same😂but the sweet angel is trying so hard to change❤I always tell him, even though I didn’t win, I tried my best! Now everytime he loses, he says this to himself🥺sometimes when I lose at something, I make it a huge deal how even though I came in last, I had so much fun. I make losing seem just as much fun as winning. He’s only 7, but we’re getting there! I think it’s normal at this age😊

2 Likes

My son done this as well when my sisters came over for game night. We ended up making him sit at the table and watch us and his older sister all play the games and have a fun game night. And he hasn’t threw a fit since, only took one time for him.

1 Like

Ignore his fits and don’t ever let him win!!!

Take the competition out. Competition is something we do to feed our egos. I taught my granddaughter how to play settlers of Catan & together we learned how to collaborate. Yes—somebody gets to 10 points before someone else. But it is just a game and it’s meant to be fun.If he can’t have fun playing board games…is it because the family is really competitive? Little ones learn from us. Where is he learning throat losing a board game equals he is a loser? That’s what we grandmothers are for. :purple_heart:

3 Likes

My daughter does the same and I tell her if you can’t play fair we won’t play at all.

1 Like

I have the same problem he is 6.

My nephew did the same back some years ago. So, when I got enough of it, I started crying real loud when I lost. It took a few times, but he finally stopped being such a sore loser, at least around me.

Kids whine and scream because it works. It’s our job to teach them that it won’t. Make him sit out and watch. If he won’t, send him to his room. Tell him you won’t listen to whining or screaming; he must use his normal voice.

The sooner he learns about winning and losing, the better.

3 Likes

He’s 5. He’s 5. He’s 5. He’s still learning and is just a kid. My son was the same way. Anymore just tell him, if you can’t play without getting so mad then don’t play.

2 Likes

He needs 2learn it’s better 2lose n learn then learn 2cheat. Sit him down n tell him nobody would want 2be his friend unless he learns 2accept defeat sometimes. He will grow up thinking he’s always right

1 Like

Explain that you don’t always win. And being a sore loser(or a bragging winner) isn’t fun for anyone and if the fits don’t stop then no more games until he can be a big boy. Explain it’s ok to be sad about losing but throwing a fit won’t happen

3 Likes

Will grow up to be president some day

2 Likes

You don’t let him win and you let him scream. Walk away. Kids only yell and scream when they have attention. When he’s done screaming come back and ask if he wants to play again. He will outgrow this phase.

11 Likes

Show him that if he plays without any drama then people are happy to play the games with him. If he kicks up a fuss the minute something isn’t going his way all the games get put away or you carry on playing without him until he learns that behaving like that only results in no more games for him. He will soon learn

3 Likes

Let him scream in his room. Don’t let him win for awhile. Parents are letting their kids control too much. You are in charge not him.

2 Likes

When he starts getting angry or losing while you are playing explain to him that he can’t always win and that if he continues with that behavior no one will play the games with him.

2 Likes

You need to send this to the pro football and basketball players…

1 Like

One thing I’ve been teaching my kids is to shake the hand of the winner and tell them good job if he can’t be good at losing then we don’t play the game. Not everyone wins I’d be packing the game up as soon as the tantrums or cheating starts he will learn if he wants to play its all in the dice not the cheating or fits

1 Like

Get a few easier games.

1 Like

Invest in earplugs and use them when he screams. Or stop the game the first time he starts screaming and don’t start it again until he can pull himself together. 5 is a tough age. He’s old enough to learn the rules, but still too young to have appropriate control over his emotions.

1 Like

I wish this was all I had to worry about

He is not ready for games put them away till he is older. Teach him to share that being last is more important than being first. That others come before yourself.

Don’t play and tell him why. Nothing worse than a poor sport. He has to learn sometimes you win sometimes you loose but throwing a fit isn’t the answer. Sounds like he needs to learn a few behavior lessons now grandma before this leads to bigger problems later on. :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Explain to him that just because the games belong to him that doesn’t mean he is supposed to win every game every time.

The minute he started with hysterics I would calmly pack up the game, put it up and go about doing something else. When he’s calm, tell him he can’t always win and that he’s taking the fun out of the game for everyone, that if he’s going to act like that then he just doesn’t get to play the games :woman_shrugging:t2:

In addition explaining that no one will want to play with him if he continues to have that kind of behavior, model the correct behavior tell him what he should say when he loses.

Everyone need to learn how to loose.