How can I build my credit?

I never worked on my credit. Therefore don’t have any barely established any with my rent. I want to open a secured credit card line to build my credit what bank do you recommend the most and why?

37 Likes

Capital one. Easiest company to get a card through :hugs:

If you can manage it…I would suggest three different cards.

1 Like

Use the app Credit Sesame

1 Like

Get a self credit building acct

1 Like

Career housewife here. When I became divorced and on my own I realized I didn’t have any credit. Bad credit would have been better than what I was working with. I got a job and opened my very first checking account with a credit union. They advised me through building my credit and helped me open a secured card. After having it for some time my credit rose and I was approved for a Discover card and a Capital 1 card. I alternate between the three with only purchasing gas and pay them off each month. I finally reached 700 credit score.

Capital one is a great start

I think I just answered this somewhere else. I have been on the credit journey for a year and a half. I started here www.self.inc and raised my score quickly from there. I worked with a service that is free where I live and she suggested self. Feel free to ask me anything else, I have learned a ton.

I have a capital one secure card. Easy to get approved and no fees

You can google preapproved credit cards. This will give you companies who do a “soft” pull so you don’t get dinged for them checking your credit to see if you are approved. I say Capital One is a great starter. They have good benefits once you are established with them and they will give you your deposit back usually after 6 months if you have good payment history and don’t exceed your limit.

I have heard rent to own furniture and such really helps build your credit rating also.

Get a checking account (any bank) and ask them for a secured card through them, easiest safest and fastest way I built mine up 100points in a year!

2 Likes

Experian Boost. My score went up instantly. Capital one is a good starter card. Just make sure you don’t get in over your head.

1 Like

Fingerhut and capital one secured card

Walmart credit card. Spend 20 a month and dont pay till due date. But make sure not to miss the due date!

Find a local credit union, they should be able to help you. Or capital one has a secure credit card.

I have a secure credit card that hasn’t helped me increase my credit even tho I’ve kept it under the suggested usage and never missed a payment in the 15 months that I’ve had it. A few months ago I started using Chimes new credit card (there is a wait list but it goes by fast) and my credit has seen a significant improvement. Chime accounts are free and literally the best bank I’ve ever had.

The self app is a great way to build your credit! It has helped tremendously!

I’d say go to a local credit union and get a very small loan. Put the money in a savings account there and set the payments to automatically come out of that account. Then as your credit increased apply for credit cards. No credit isn’t the same as bad credit.

1 Like

I went with capital one. Fast and easy. Approved with poor credit. Just use 30% of ur credit line or less. And do not pay the whole amount, always have revolving credit. Almost had 600 credit score in barely 6 months.

1 Like

Capital One like many are saying.

Discover or Td secured card, if anyone in your family has good credit have them add u as a signer without giving u the card

Capitol One! They are great to work with, and it is easy to build trust with them. After just a year, I was upgraded to a $1,000 limit & now am being upgraded to their reward card.

2 Likes

Most store cards are good openers. Capital one is a good opener.

I have really good credit but I opened up a Children’s Place card a few months ago and they didn’t even run my credit.

I was in the same boat (zero credit history) and got a secured card through my bank (keybank) and within 5 months my score was already up almost 200 points. It’s the best thing I ever did!

My husband built his credit from literally nothing by us adding him as an authorized user on my Capital One account. In a years time his score had went up enough to qualify for a discover card in his name. That was about 3 years ago and in that time his score has went up tremendously. He is now well within the upper 700s on his regular and FICO scores.

Capital one really helped mine go uo in just 3 months I was in the 600’s

Definitely get a secured card. I have one through first progress and love it. Also, if you have any debts or collections get them paid off. Keep your credit usage low and don’t miss any payments. Also consider a loan (car, small personal, etc) as this will help build credit with on time payments.

I started with a kohl’s charge card. It can only be used at kohl’s so I knew I wouldn’t rack it up. I would buy a shirt or something each month and pay it off. I had zero credit and it helped raise it enough to get a car loan a year later.

Discover secured credit card. Use it at least once a month pay it off. Or any major credit card. Do not get retail store credit card.

What I did I went to the bank paid off what was in collections. Then got a Telus contract. Been on the contract since 2015. Also got a MasterCard built my credit more then got my first vehicle, now I’m on my 2nd vehicle. Now I’m good to get a mortgage but I need 5% down for that.

We use credit one but only for gas and we always make sure we pay it off each month

I just did this. The best thing to do is go to self lender (online). They have a program where you pay a secured loan and then get most of your money back at the end. They just keep $9 per month. But you don’t have to do anything. This raised my credit 75 points all on it’s own. They also now have a secured credit card, I rolled over the money I was to get back from the secured loan and the card has helped raise my score further. I have raised my score 175 points in a year. Rental furniture does NOT report to credit and you pay inflated interest. After you raise your score a little your best thing is to buy a car, that with on time payments is a huge credit builder.

Go to your bank. Ask them about it.

Open an account with a local credit union and you can get a credit card through them
I recommend getting a set line that you front the amount at first (i think?) and you build your credit with that to start with
Make sure you keep up on payments and dont spend more than you make

1 Like

I went through Capital One and got an unsecured card. I charge about $15 more then the minimum payment each month so I carry a small balance. I used to pay it off each month but when I talked to a loan officer for a mortage, he said to carry a small balance because creditors and loan offices want to see that you can continue to pay each month because paying it off each month isn’t always guaranteed.

2 Likes

I had horrible credit. Small things on my reports like medical bills $100 here $100 there. Capital one gave me my first ever credit card with a $300 limit. I used it for gas and groceries. Paid my balance when due, and got a second credit card a year later. I no longer have those ones, but only because they charged fees yearly. I went from a 428 to an 800 after paying off the small things on my credit reports, then made payment plans on the big ones.

1 Like

Credit one has ridiculous fees. She is better off going onto Credit Karma. They will explain how your credit report works and give her suggestions as to how to improve her score as well as often list credit cards with how likely each card is to approve her.

You can probably get approved for an unsecured one through Credit One Bank. That’s how I did mine and I had the same issues you did. And my fiance we did it for him too. But with any credit card don’t max it out, use it and then wait a few days and pay what you charged. The usage will report raising your score, no interest that way, and they (Credit One Bank) report every month.

2 Likes

Capital One Quicksilver card. They report monthly to all 3 credit agencies, so your credit gets established quickly. I went from a 560 credit score to a 812 over the course of 3 years, and I can honestly say my Capital One $300 limit secured card was the start of it all. After a year of making all my payments on time, they raised my limit to $1000, then a few months later $3000, and over the next 3 years the limit exceeded $10K. Pay as much of the balance as you can each month, always make at least your minimum payment by the due date and you will be fine.

8 Likes

Old Fort Bank. I suggest that you call and talk to them. They a credit card where you put $300.00 down and you pay the credit card amount off each month, say you purchase and item that is like $100, and then you pay off the $100.00 by a due date.

I have a capital one journey card. It starts out with a $300 line and within a few months I got a $500 line for being on time with my payments. I always make sure I’m using no less than 10% of the line at a time, and if i use it for a big purchase, I’ll either pay that charge off or half of it. I went from a 628 to a 704 in less than 6 months.

4 Likes

The bank where you have an account may have a low interest card- that’s what I did. Good luck!

1 Like

I was 18 with no credit and got $15,000 credit line with American Express. They are AMAZING. I’m now 25 and have 4x my original limit and my score is perfect after on time payments.

1 Like

I started with just a Wal-Mart store card, then bank of America card. With in 1 year I was able to buy my first house at the age of 21

I recommend a card through CapitalOne. You make a security deposit then after about 6 months of on time payments they double your credit limit

Get a credit card but only use it if you have the money to pay it off. I have one I will use for gas, or maybe a meal out then pay it off before the next billing cycle. Keep it below 30% of the actual credit limit.

I would go to a credit union. A lot of them will do secured lines of credit. Credit unions are superior to banks even though they do the same things

If you have a credit karma account, they’ll recommend specific cards to help build credit

6 Likes

Credit sesame and credit karma will help match you with cards. They are free and help you keep an eye on your score.

6 Likes

Open Sky is a good secured card, Credit One is good as well for a credit building unsecured card.

We were able to.pull credit report n pay off the stuff then opened a capital one credit card for credit rebuild. We did that 3 yrs ago n bf credit is riseing steadly we were able to buy a house finaly

Go to your nearest credit union and seek help there. They can get you started on what you can do to build your credit.

I started working on mine in Feb and it jumped over 100 points already. I got a secure credit card with Capital One. It was $99 for $200 line. I bought a much needed car also. In the first 3 months that tanked the score even more with all the inquires the bank and car company ran (11 new inquires😩), I didn’t let that discourage me though. I started calling collections starting with the cheapest and paying what I can. I use the credit card only for gas or fast food and pay it ALL back on or before the due date. My collections decreased, payment history greatly improved and credit usage remains below 25%. They increased my credit line recently which made another good impact on my score and lowered the credit usage even more. It is a work in progress but keep at it. I went from 439 in Feb to 611 today. Im hoping to have it at 700 by December

2 Likes

I wrote a lot below… so I know people won’t read it, short answer if you are a parent and have good credit and credit cards, ADD YOUR KIDS as authorized users. Don’t give them the card though. My daughter’s score is over 700 just because I did that for her. She will start out with credit and a shot in this rigged world

9 Likes

Capitol One secured card is how I brought my score up a hundred points in a little over a month!! You will have to put like $200 down on it. You use it for everyday things like gas groceries etc then choose a day of the week (I dod Tuesday cuz thats when I got paid) and pay it off every week!! I also recommend signing up for kredit Karma or wallet hub they will match you with ones you will qualify for!!

2 Likes

In 2018, started working on my credit, started with a Capitol One platinum, asked my mom to add me to her card since she has very good credit history, started with a 490 score, now I have a 675 credit score, just applied and got a discover card…so far so good, slowly but surely

3 Likes

Chime. You get a debit card and have your payroll direct deposited and they also have a credit builder card. Whatever you put on your credit card is your available balance and since it takes the money off as soon as you use the credit card…you wont be behind on payments and Chime reports the on time payments to the credit bureaus.

3 Likes

Start listening to Dave Ramsey! You don’t want credit you can live debt free!

4 Likes

ME Bank are great for credit cards, low rates and interest and also it only reports issues in the event that the account has to be cancelled.

I filed bankruptcy after divorce. Built up with a prepaid credit card. After a year got a small loan of 2500 didnt spend it ans paid it off in 6 months. Next year I was at a 725 ans got a home loan.

I’ve never really needed credit. I’ve always paid cash for everything. I had credit cards in my early 20s but then I paid them off and I have never put anything on credit or a loan since. I have new cars nice house nice stuff because without having to pay all those bills I have plenty of cash for the things I need.

I have one with my bank however what built my credit the most was leasing my vehicle

We are trying to buy a house and we got a first premier credit card that raises our score every month next month we should be high enough to buy our house

My first secured credit card was with Capital One.

I did a secured discover & it was the best thing for me personally.

Capital One has helped me rebuild my credit and I was able to put my daughter on my card to help build hers.

PayPal credit is what I started with.

Get a small loan and use the money from loan to pay it each month

I used Capital One to build my credit. Went from a 400 score to 670 in about 3 years.

Store cards but don’t pay them completely off every month

Capitol one…mine was Initially 300$, after a year of on time payments it went up to 900$…you can also get cash advances from this credit card.

I went to the bank I banked at and got one when I first started.

Get a store credit card to start out with. My niece got a TJMaxx card and has just been buying things and paying it off as soon as the bill comes.

I was with one credit union for over 15 years and the time I put in for credit they were no help. I switched to a different credit union and within 3 months I had their bank card and my car loan with them.

Start with a Capitol one card and put everything on it and pay it off every month

I recommend you first work on your english. Read what you wrote.

4 Likes

Capital One is great for establishing credit.

1 Like

Capital one is a very good one to start with

1 Like

Discover has a great secured card.

1 Like

I did Citi and it worked great

Dave Ramsey! Please save yourself years and years of problems.

1 Like

Go to Nerdwallet they give great advice

I use the credit union

1 Like

Do NOT use Bank if America!

Capital one I would use I love mine

My boyfriend and I each got secured credit cards, we were late in the game but at least we have good credit now. Never let your card go over 30% and use it and pay it off. Then you’ll get mail for a real credit card, pick a good one and same thing, they’ll up your credit when you make enough on time payments… closing out a card you’ve paid off actually hurts you :woman_shrugging: learned along the way. You can pull your scores from the three bureaus once a year, pay off old debts, a lot fall off after seven years. Good luck!

Go to a credit union…

Look into the self app

Get a credit karma account first. Then go based off their recommendations. Follow pennyhorder and nerwallet. They have great tips. Dispute everything on your credit report that negative. I cleared mine in 30 days and within the next 30 days got my first unsecured credit card. Always pay the minimum due the first month then you can pay it off the following month. Write all your financials down and keep a good record of everything. Within a year my credit was good. I bought a new car. Within the 2nd year I was able to refinance my car and get half the interest rate I was paying. I only take out 0 percent apr cards and only use them during the 0 percent months. After 2 years look for a bank credit card which typically has lower interest rates than regular credit cards. I just got a 13.99% bank card with 0 apr for 20 months. It takes time but be patient. Do your research, live within your means and you’ll get there.

Look up Dave Ramsey!!! Cash is king!!! Havent used credit in 3 years. Just bought my Nissan Armada Platinum cash. A credit score is an I :black_heart: debt score!!! I cheer everytime my score drops. I’m aiming for that zero!!

Another thing you can do is go to your bank or Credit Union VA personal loans I’m scared her in the money out the door you put it back in the bank for them to hold and use make a payment every month and then all you do is pay for the interest

credit one an capital one will build your credit up

Start with opensky …

You don’t need credit- credit usually means debt. Follow Dave Ramsey.

Chime new credit builder

This is what we did My husband and I own not just the home we thought we deserved (the dumpy ones we thought were all we could afford) but our dream home after taking some steps. First we went to the “shady” car dealership which isn’t shady if you pay your dang payment everytime no matter what happens to that vehicle or what happens in your financial life. I had to ask them to report to credit bureaus and at the time they only reported to 1. The first credit card I tried to apply for failed because they checked the 2 credit bureaus who I wasn’t being reported to. There is experian equifax and transunion. I later learned different credit card companies will check certain credit bureaus depending on what state you are in so since my credit is reported to transunion I applied with capital one in Michigan and was accepted my very first credit card. Our car place started reporting a second bureau so now we had a credit score that could be looked up on 2 out of 3 of them so I applied for a chase credit card and was approved. We had established credit so we’re able to move from the trailer park to a rent to own home. After our 2 year contract was up we had good solid credit and decided to try to apply for a loan through riverbank finance in G.R. MI and were approved for our dream home. I also learned to put my kids on my credit cards in good standing as authorized users. My daughter has over 700 credit score because of this move, its even better than mine! I think it took 3 years total to go from living in a free trailer that we had to bleach from top to bottom to living in a 2300sq ft home with a 1.5 acre fenced in and surrounded by pines, golf course for a back yard. Not really but it looks that way <3 proud and worked from bottom up so yeah, I get bragging rights. You can do it!!!

1 Like

Yes, Capital One is a great Card to start with. Use Credit Karma to monitor your credit and get recommendations. ALWAYS pay MORE than the minimum. Don’t spend over 30% of your limit.

6 Likes

I highly recommend Capital One. I got a secured card with them that after your first 5 months of one time payments the credit line raised from the initial $300 to $500 and keeps raising with time and raises credit quicker that way (if it stays paid off). Plus they have a very user friendly app and customer service has always been easy and helpful.

3 Likes

Credit karma :ok_hand:
You can put even your cellphone bill or utilities in to help establish credit. They recommend secured credit cards with approval rate.
The fiance and I were late in the game, still working on it but huge difference from where we started a year ago

3 Likes