How can I dispute TANIF?

Hello idk if anyone can help me I can’t find much information about disputing Tanif (Maine) I received it for about six months ten years ago and they took my taxes for it and I’m not even sure how much they are going to continue to try and take. I have three chikdren 50/50 paycheck to paycheck and i honestly can’t believe this. I thought they were to go after the father and they may have and he disputed it. I called and left a voicemail to dispute it… Does anyone have experience with this and can offer some advice? I was really counting on my return this year to keep us afloat

13 Likes

In Maine if you make more than $1,286 a month gross pay, and you receive TANF, you’ll have to pay it back, because it’s considered overpayment.

I didn’t know they could do that. :astonished: that’s crazy.

2 Likes

Get ahold of a DHS case worker and ask them

They probably overpaid you and they took their money back .

The only time TANF goes after the mom here in California is in cases of failing to report in a timely manner aka a ‘Inadvertent Household Error’ OR an outright IPV ‘Intentional Program Violation’ were you ever investigated?.. Even if you failed to comply with CS enforcement you’d only receive a sanction. So an overpayment by them, or unintentionally by you might be why?

1 Like

They normally only take money to pay back overpayments

2 Likes

I get Tanf and they didn’t tell me that I signed away the rights to my Child support when I signed up but now they are taking it all and only giving me “what I need to survive”
It’s Definitely a fucked system and I would fight it if I were you. Idk how but there has to be a way.

This might help…
chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://legislature.maine.gov/statutes/22/title22ch1055-A.pdf

I got it for 6 months and my husband owes 1k to this day! They already kept our tax return years ago, gave us the next one, then contacted saying we do still owe and they shouldn’t have🤦‍♀️

I was able to FINALLY file with child support myself and get 40k in arrears he owed to me erased, but when he had tried before this they raised his payments from 200/month to $750/month, so it had climbed really fast in that year it took me to get results. But the state will not budge on what is “owed to them” and here we are, 4 years later, still owing😒

If they intercepted ur taxes u owe an overpayment. It takes months/years for them to actually intercept taxes. They would have sent tons of notices to the last known address u had on file before they were able to intercept which would have given a timeline to dispute the error. Contact the agency to get the paperwork sent to u so u atleast understand why. Chances of it getting reversed are slim once it reaches that point. Any type of government assistance overpaid will follow u until they receive their full payment.