How can I file taxes if I am unemployed?

Tax question, how and where do you go to file a tax return when you have no income but you have dependents, I remember last year the IRS had an option on their website for unemployed to file so they could get the child tax credit but I can’t find it now and idk how to file a tax return with no income so I can still get the child tax credit.

11 Likes

Unfortunately you can not. But my tax people say that my boyfriend could file taxes since he works and we could file married jointly so we could get the child tax credit. I also live in a common law state.

2 Likes

You can’t. That was only last year

That was only for last year. If you have no income, you can’t file taxes.

If you have no income, you are a dependent of someone else no? Let whoever is paying the bills claim the kids as they’re the ones supporting them!

8 Likes

You can’t if you have no income

The federal Child Tax Credit is a non refundable credit, it can only decrease your tax liability.

3 Likes

It’s sad to say but, yes you can file dependents without any earned income. May depend on what state you live in though

It’s called
GET A JOB
Then you can claim INCOME TAXES
You can’t live for FREE
Or wait, I guess you can with our presidon’t

18 Likes

Sorry that’s was only for one year and for COVID. Those rules have expired!!

1 Like

Go to freetaxusa.com you can try to file and they will tell you if you can or not! I got a letter in the mail to file for 2021 cause I didn’t work but could get the cold tax credit! But I don’t know how or why but I got a good amount.

With a tax office. You file and get ghe EIC back. I did it several yrs ago.

It is not a refundable credit so unfortunately you cannot get it. Only during covid did they make it that way

1 Like

Unfortunately you can not. That was during covid ( mostly for people that filed for unemployment).If you did not pay taxes at all during 2023 then you can’t claim any credits. Including the child tax credit. You would have had to pay taxes ( claimed) the child/children throughout the year. No taxes=no credit