How can I get full custody?

Where do I start to obtain full custody of my 11 yr old? We have 50/50 as of now from when we did child support back when she was few months old since then he’s been to prison for seven years, got out came around for 2.2 seconds and now completely m.i.a since he’s married raising another child like his own and has absolutely nothing to do with my daughter. He pays child support here and there (definitely nothing steady), and that’s about it. He recently missed her last two days, and it’s officially my last straw seeing my child heartbroken, realizing she can’t even get a text from him. I don’t have many single mom friends, so I’m not even sure how to start this process, any advice is greatly appreciated

15 Likes

Courthouse fill out custody papers file and have him served

Get ahold of a lawyer or public defender. Should be pretty cut and dry. Once she’s 12 she’s allowed to legally decide on her own who has her so that’ll help you a ton. Plus go after him for back child support and pay your attorney fees

Get lawyer have proof of him
Not being around and go to court your lawyer will
Tell you exactly what to do to
Proceed

Some lawyers will do cheap/free consultations for advice.

But I got sole custody on my own. I proved I was the one doing everything for the kids. I took them to the doctors, dentist, and attended school appointments. Stuff like that.

I think the harder part will be him not having visitation if that’s what you’re after. Getting sole custody doesn’t always mean he doesn’t get to see the kid. When I first got sole custody my ex had our kids almost exactly 50% of the week.

1 Like

Take documentation of everything and get a lawyer. He/she will be able to advise you a lot better on what’s best to do and hope everything works out for you and your daughter

The judicial system isn’t fair

Should be able to go back and modify custody agreement to have it changed.

Go file for sole legal and physical custody ( full custody) but they dont call it full custody in court I’m deff you will get it

If u don’t have money for a lawyer u can see if ur local department of human services has a child support division.
Unfortunately we can’t make them have an emotional attachment to the children they helped make. But u know what that is ok. You can’t miss what u never had. The kiddo is better off without them.

Family court house. File for full custody. Serve him and follow directions.

I got full custody of my daughter when she was only a few months old. The judge had his parental rights terminated and he’s not allowed to contact her until she is 18 and makes the decision to meet him on her own. It was easier for me to get the judges approval bc I proved he was an alcoholic, and also had witnesses to his physical abuse to me on numerous occasions. He was in the Navy so I was actually shocked that the judge agreed. I think it was a bit easier as well bc my ex had wanted me to have an abortion and told the judge he would sign on his own free will as long as he didn’t have to give me any money, our belongings, or my car. Needless to say, her safety was more important than those superficial items. I did have to hire the best family law attorney in our county bc it’s extremely hard to get a judge to relinquish parental rights.
Don’t give up hope, because there are options out there but the main thing is to find an attorney who has tons of experience in this and has been successful in winning his cases.

I believe you should contact legal representation. Every state is different.

Also do what you feel is best for your child. Not what’s best for you nor the father but your child.

This is a child who did not ask to be born. I can’t say whether gaining 100% custody is for the best or not; this is your own decision to make based on what you feel is best for your daughter.

Praying you make the correct decision.

My biggest piece of advice is to document everything like you are keeping a journal. Spoken word can be claimed as hearsay but written word is admissible in court! Prayers for peace for you and your baby.

3 Likes

Go see a lawyer. Everything depends upon your state laws and what you can actually prove/have documented.

You can ask judge or lawyer could give information maybe he will give up his rights documents every thing he has done

1 Like

Every state is different. Document everything.
My ex dipped out on us. There was a time I had wished he played a role in their lives. They are grown with kids of there own. I never spoke I’ll of him to my kids.
He was 30 miles away had a child with someone else. Played father to her other kids. Honestly the other ones are just as screwed up as he is. I’m so glad he had no influence over mine.

i would try to make sure to encourage and even go out of your way for your daughter to see him… no it’s not your obligation but i know u would do anything for your daughter to be happy… sounds like she loves and wants to see him and if he isn’t keeping her from u there is no reason to the open a custody battle i don’t think

1 Like

Not trying to be rude, but you need to consult a lawyer, not Facebook.

Assuming you live in the states, every state is different.

1 Like

The answer depends on where you live, every jurisdiction handles this differently.

1 Like

Custody battles can get long and expensive especially for you! I would say save your money and spend it raising that child!

2 months with no contact is considered abandonment. Atleast in Indiana anyways

I’m thinking a lawyer would be a good start.

He has not been there for you ever… he isn’t afraid of jail… you don’t get part time cash if he is in jail… you made it this far without him… remarry, get a roommate, or a better job if you need money. He hasn’t been there for 11 years…

you, never get full custody. Js. can only tell you, my child, never seen his dad, and he will be 40 n a few days. he deserted me, at the hospital. i was a orphan my self w/ zero relatives. 40 years and were better off. praying for you, both…

I’m not sure how u would start with the progress but i truly think she would be better off without him in her life.he sounds like a real loser I would be scared for her to be around him.Someday he will have to answer to her.

1 Like

Just take it to cpurt file custody and they will try to supena him a few times and if he never ahows you’ll just get the custody. Don’t forget to mention all of this that you wrote in statement you make toward the case. Take action now.

2 Likes

What do you need to waste your money for tho? Sounds like he’s not around to worry about…

First step, hire a lawyer…

Go to court and file for full custody its sad how these dead beat dads out there are. We are are in a similar position but the other way around we have 50 50 but my husbands nasty babys mama don’t let him see his son only when she feels like it ,abd now shes trying to get full custody. Good luck gurl

Take him back to court, get legal advice, and take proof to back up, what u know, and go from there!
And good luck, and get yr child support pymts, also thru the courts, as well. Then, he has to pay, or jail he goes

After 1yr you can file abandonment charges. Even if hes incarcerated

Keep everything well noted - buy a notebook and start creating a log of everything - every conversation, text message, etc. You can document the slow payments too, but it may not carry much weight - in NJ non-payment of child support is not a reason to deny visitation, etc.

Had a friend who did this and she eventually won sole custody

Go to the court house and file for full custody!

File with the court for full custody

File. Bring documented evidence of everything he has done and missed.

Document document document everything then take said so called parent back to court …

He was in prison for 7 years so I’m sure he didn’t come visit her then. Did he somehow pay child support while locked up? Why ask for full custody now?

1 Like

Contact your lawyer. They will be the best help.

1 Like

Have to take him to court.

1 Like

Contact a good custody lawyer.

1 Like

i have no idea. call the court and see what the clerks would be willing to tell you. the library near me has a date where lawyers show up to advise people at no charge. see what community resources are available near you and then get what you want. i know it helps to keep all receipts for what all you’re paying out, or some kind of ledger of expenses.

If you have a custody order, you will have to file a Motion to Modify. Document everything and keep track of how often he actually exercises his visitation time.

6 Likes

Go to the court house and apply for
It, they will step you through what has to be done :white_check_mark:

Best to contact a family lawyer who can help you with your state laws and can give you a better look of what you’ll be dealing with

1 Like

I would definitely start by talking to a lawyer it will help greatly if you have a home, car, and a steady job. You have to document everything! It’s a long process but it will be well worth it for your child! Good luck

Get a lawyer and file a petition

Sadly there’s no such thing as full custody, my husbands ex tried to get that from my husband because she wants more than $750 a month. It’s shared equal parenting, at least here in Illinois. Smirk got smacked right off her face. And less money. And she owes $30,000 for him over paying

1 Like

Entice him to sign his rights away with “he won’t be liable for any more child support”. Tell him either that, or you will go after him for years and years of non support.

In washington you have to prove he’s unfit. And that’s very hard to do. Just going to prison or jail isnt enough. Calling an attorney would be best. Most have free consultations.

The clerk of court in your county and state should be able to tell you what steps to take.

Go to the courthouse and ask for the paperwork for custody/viaitation

You should be asking what she wants, she is old enough to understand. He doesn’t deserve her if he hasn’t tried or made any effort to be a father figure to her, but she should be the one to decide. If he doesn’t pay up on child support so what, if you and her are doing good financially and do a lot better without bothering the father than I would leave it at that.

1 Like

You can file for full custody yourself. You will be asked to state why and you list the reasons and go to court.

In Wisconsin you have to file modification to the orginal custody file. The child has to 14 to be able to tell the judge who they want to live with.

1 Like

In Michigan if there is no contact for two year you can go to have his rights taken away.

Many courthouses have legal aid for free. They should be able to help you with the paperwork.

Getting full custody will not fix the issue. She’s 11 years old… she more than understands what he is and he is not doing as a father. The only thing you can do for her is talk to her and let her know that you are there for her… because 50/50, no custody, or full custody… it doesn’t even matter… she is going to feel some type of way and go through the emotions of not having her father around.

3 Likes

There has to be no contact from the parent for two full years and no payment of child support. As long as he sees the child for one visit every three months and pays at least $1 every three months in child support. The state considers it an attempt at parenting. Good luck. Unless you can convince him to sign his rights over to your legal spouse the courts won’t do it.

Mediation is 1st step here in Australia that can be dragged out then if either refuse 2 attend relationships Australia write you a letter saying either party refused 2 attend then you go 2 court n that’s dragged out 4 yrs

You don’t need a lawyer…go file a motion… at the family law court
.you should have done this
.when he was in jail

Surely at 11 it doesnt even need to go to court unless he takes you?

What difference would it make if he doesnt see her now anyway?

My experience with this is my ex husband was in prison for 5 years of my son’s life. He has been end and out of his life since he was 3. Being a single mom is hard as it is to worry bout wth these men are doing not wanting something to do with their children but at the end of the day u have to ask ur daughter what she wants. My son still wants something to do with his father and he knows how his father has been.

I would file with the court to modify custody, and then ask him to give you full custody.

FL doesnt give full custody unless proof of abuse, neglect physically or drugs. I think most states are 50/50 now