How can I get my 19-month-old to sleep through the night?

I have a 19 month old that just will not sleep thru the night! I’ve tried it all. He gets a very filling good meal at dinner and all thru the day. He gets a nice warm bath before bed every night. I’ve tried a tv on and off in his room. I’ve tried the cry it out for a little. Nothing seems to work. The only thing that helps is when I lay on his floor at 2-2:30 in the morning when he wakes up and I end up falling asleep and staying there until morning. If I let him scream and not go on his floor it wakes my other son up. Any tips on what to do? I’m desperate for a full nights sleep lol. His older brother slept through the night by 3 months old; now I know all babies are different, but he should be sleeping through the night at 19 months old I would think?

31 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How can I get my 19-month-old to sleep through the night?

It’s literally persistence, that’s the only thing that will work ,nor giving in. He will get passed it eventually. Its not easy but keep to a routine and it will work.

4 Likes

Time. Every person is different and they start sleeping through the night at different times. Still very normal at that age

2 Likes

Cut out day time naps. And keep to a routine.

1 Like

When you figure it out let me know. Almost 3 still wakes up every night. Now it’s nightmares

1 Like

My doctor recommended 1mg of kids melatonin every other night for a week or so to help his natural melatonin clock get on a schedule, I know it’s not for everyone but could be worth a try

3 Likes

It sounds like you haven’t let him cry very long because you don’t want him to wake your other child, so he knows that by crying you’ll always come… I’d find a way to solve that issue and he should learn to sleep through the night.

8 Likes

My 5 yr old still has sleep issues, hell I still have sleep issues at 27 :sweat_smile: if you’re still doing any naps you could try two things, either a) eliminate the nap and see if it helps or b)move the nap up and shorten it a little. I know it can be exhausting mama, but I promise it is still normal

1 Like

As a grown adult I still don’t sleep through the night…I don’t know why we try to force tiny kids to do the same.

5 Likes

No more naps and I got my daughter to sleep by getting a memory foam mattress cover. Her bed is so comfortable she doesn’t move all night

Don’t go back into his room and let him cry. He will eventually go back to sleep. First night is the worst but by night 2 & 3 is life changing and you’ll finally get some sleep. He knows you’ll eventually go in there so you have to stop. You just have to remember your baby is ok and will be ok. Now if he’s sick or teething I definitely wouldn’t do the cry it out.

8 Likes

Sleep is developmental. It’ll happen when he’s ready. Meanwhile tire him out during the day, no screen time at least an hour before bed time, warm baths, and be patient and consistent. :love_letter:

I have a 5 year old who still wakes in the night sometimes, don’t rush things so much!

My kids didn’t sleep through the night till 4 or 5. But once they had a drink they went right back to sleep… if they had a nightmare… I’d let them climb in my bed…

Also, try The Sleep Lady Shuffle.

Take him to your bed. Our daughter joined us about a year ago cause she started waking up every night in her crib, and now she sleeps all night with us. She’s almost 3

5 Likes

With mine she sleeps really good if we give her a nice filling snack about 30 mins-1 hr before bed and she has a water cup(360 sippy cup) with her for when she wakes up thirsty

This is so frustrating. I tried lavender scents in the room… and Mozart ( very low…) in a small CD player. That worked … usually

My son was the same way. Tried everything but doctor told me he will eventually when hes ready. He was finally ready when he was 4 yrs old . Good luck mama it will happen eventually!!

1 Like

My 19 month old doesn’t sleep through the night either.

A good feed before bed

Honestly the thing that helps us the most is essential oils and magnesium. My son is 7 and we still use them because if we don’t we wakes up. We use serenity, lavender, and balance from Doterra. I put them on his spine and feet about 30 minutes before bed and in a diffuser next to his bed. I use them on long car rides and plane trips also. It’s been our saving grace.

You cant.
Adult have issues sleeping I’m not sure why we expect tiny children to know. They sleep when they wish you can make a child sleep. Risk one when having a kid your willing to give up proper sleep

1 Like

I have a 2 year old who wakes up 6 times a night

2 Likes

Isnt this the question all of us with bad sleepers wish there was a simple answer too. Theres a million different things you could do or try. Though it may not work on your child specifically. I have a 2 bad sleepers that no matter what i do they wake. The only thing that ever helps is when they sleep with us or we sleep in thier room because at least then when they wake we can cuddle or comfort them back to sleep. Though im honestly not a big fannof co sleeping so its rough.

I have an 18 yr old who has still never slept a full night in her life :grimacing: sometimes they just don’t. I also have a 7 and 9 yr old that have slept through the night since the day they were born, and a 20 yr old who started sleeping through the night at 3. I think everyone is just different. I had to find a way to make them comfortable when they woke up so they could find their way back to sleep… White noise was a game changer. Although for my bigger ones that was just a fan or a static radio :sweat_smile::joy:

1 Like

My son didn’t start sleeping through the nights until he was about 4 years old :sob:

Have you tried giving him some oatmeal or rice shortly before bed time.

3 Likes

I would let him cry it out even if it did wake up the older one it would only happen so many times before it never happened again. The older one would be a lot easier to put back to bed

7 Likes

Let him sleep wherever he want- why argue with the child ? Dr Dodson said to let him find his own niche. Sometimes he would be in the family room under the coffee table or dinning table. We would say goodnight and go to bed. We all slept

4 Likes

I would let him cry. Go in and assure him he’s fine and all that and walk out. Don’t sleep on the floor. Go back to bed. If he can sleep with you on the floor he can sleep with you not in the room. It’s a habit he will get over. It’ll be a hard few days but he will get there.

5 Likes

Warm bath ect like you said you’re doing, then right before his lay down, give him 4-6oz of formula with rice cereal. Good n heavy on his tummy.

2 Likes

My 5&3 year old still wake up :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

My son is 2.5 and still wakes up :face_with_spiral_eyes: good luck lol

Please do not let him cry.
Crying is the way he lets you know he needs something. It’s his way of trying to communicate.

Adults wake up during the night but can get a drink, use the restroom, etc, why do we expect kids to sleep?
Keep doing a routine, or move him to your bed.
Co sleep/bed sharing helped tremendously. We still have wake ups but the stretches are further in between.
But until he’s ready to sleep thru the night, all you can do is be there.

5 Likes

My children didn’t sleep through the night till 3 years old and 4 years old :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Good chance it’s developmental- he’ll do it when he’s ready :woman_shrugging:t3: my 2 year old winds up in our bed each night. Whatever you do, just be consistent :heart:

I co-slept because that’s what worked for us. My son started sleeping through the night. If he did wake up I was able to feed and change him and he’d fall right back asleep

2 Likes

My 5-year-old still wakes up through the night

3 Likes

Every kid is different so you can’t compare siblings. He may need you to help him sleep and that’s normal for him. You need to calm and consistent and eventually he will get it himself.

1 Like

My 3 yo just started sleeping through the night. I feel your pain! Good luck mama. Wish I had a clue to offer.

l get paid over $180 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $17985 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

SEE MORE HERE…>> https://cashjobz7.vercel.app/

1 Like

Try some white noise or ocean sounds. They help tremendously

It seems like he needs the comfort of seeing you …you could make up a dummy that has the same hair as you with your shirt on …so when he wakes up and see it on the floor thinking its you he will go back to sleep…
Or sit in a chair for a few minutes till he goes back to sleep then leave

As a mother of 4 boys ages 34… to 12 …first born I was 17…last born 39…I thought about opening the window and throwing them outside just so I could sleep…I didn’t apparently that’s not allowed :joy:none of them slept through the night…now I’m a grandma too and I love that I can now sleep through the night …good luck sweetheart and I promise it gets better :heart::england:

1 Like

After quitting my previous job 6 months ago I was lucky to find out about this website which has been a life saver for me… They offer jobs that allow people to work online from home. My last paycheck after working for them for 4 months was $19,666… The amazing thing is that all that is required is basic typing skills and internet access…

Read all about it here…https://DollarProfitz73.pages.dev/

Biologically Normal Infant & Toddler Sleep is a great group.
Sleep is developmental. My youngest was well over 2 before he started sleeping through the night.

Your child sounds super normal to me. Most kids DO NOT sleep through the night until they are at least 2-3. Be patient mom, one day your child will sleep.

3 Likes

My son didn’t sleep through the night until he was 4 lol.

1 Like

All Mother’s go through this I am afraid, Some sleep through the night, some don’t It’s part of life I am sorry to say, Yes one day he will settle down sooner than later I hope for you. xxxx

That’s normal. Why let your BABY scream & cry? Awful.

1 Like

Have you tried co sleeping just to see if he’d sleep being next to you?

3 Likes

As unfortunate as this is, it’s developmentally appropriate. Some kids just don’t sleep through the night. It seems like he is seeking connection.

1 Like

My 2 1/2yr old son still doesn’t sleep and I’m due in December :grin::face_holding_back_tears: but it’s only temporary! Normal for kids not too sleep through the night!

Symphony music (or such, music w/o words)

Night light

White noise

He’s just not ready.

Baby just wants his mommy. Mine is 20 months and he sleeps right besides me every night and never ever wakes up. We both get a full nights rest every night lol

Reading this at 5am and my daughter (she is about to be 3) hasn’t even went to sleep yet! This is every day girl wstays up till 8am then wants to sleep all day and even if you wake her up at 12 she will still stay up till 8am the next morning! Her doctor told me to give her melatonin (that’s a no from me no long term effects on children have been studied and I know in adults their body stops producing it naturally bc its getting it from a outside source if you use it every night and I’d have to to keep her sleeping regularly) iv been looking into this cherry extract stuff and plane on talking to her doctor about it her next visit! Moral of my story I feel your pain!!

My son woke up every night until he was 4
My daughter would sleep through the night at 6 months
I’d bring them back to bed with me

My 4 year old don’t sleep through the night :joy::woman_shrugging:t4: not even when I give her melatonin. It just is what it is. Most adults don’t sleep through the night either.

Bananas are meant to help a child sleep maybe one before bed after a bath xxx

I use to put a fan in my boys room and that helped a lot.