How can I get my 2-year-old off the bottle?

We like this type of cup or the 360 kind.

1 Like

Try cutting the tip but dont over cut

My doctor told me to refuse to give the bottle, if they are thirsty they will drink it. They also have cups that resemble a nipple and you go with the steps to a hard tip.

I quit cold turkey an either one cried wanting a bottle at all

We had really good luck with the Gerber nuk. But then it’s hard to get them off that.

I just lose the bottle, even help them look for it. Lol
they drink from whatever you give them if they’re thirsty!

just do it cold turkey, it stinks , but be better to for lo’s teeth, can also just try a regular cup

I just wouldn’t give another bottle. They will get thirsty enough and figure out and deal with a sippy cup. Just have to make sure you stick with it and don’t give in otherwise it’s a never ending cycle

Try the cup with the straws

Throw all the bottles out, if he doesn’t like sippy cups, teach him to use regular cups. My son never liked sippy cups, always drank out of regular cups.

1 Like

My son drinks out of a cup in the day and has his bottle for bedtime otherwise he’d spill it all over lol. Why not just ween him off it gradually, reduce to a bedtime bottle and rather than a sippy cup why not get a proper cup but with two handles? My Lb copies his sister and wants to do the same as she does like drink out of a proper cup.

1 Like

Try just giving him a regular cup i had to learn the hard way that they dont need to carry there cups everywhere with them it gets them prepared for daycare or pre school cause them places will only have certain times you are allowed to drink. My son was so spoiled to having his cup with him everywere all the time abd pre school was hard for him especially during nap time. So if i had to do it all over again he would have went from bottle to regular cup and at only certain times during the day. But like i said i learned the hard way

I use the NUK and just put a sippy cup nipple on his bottle

Get rid of all the bottles in the house, so you are not tempted to give in when he’s pitching a fit for it. It should only last a week or so.

1 Like

Out of site out of mind.

Just stop giving him the bottle, it’s no longer an option. he will drink from a sippy cup eventually.

1 Like

I have an almost 2 year old and almost 1 year old…I try to give my 2 year old the sippy cup but he keeps stealing his brothers bottle every chance he gets! I tried giving BOTH kids sippy cups (many different kinds/nipples) my almost 1 year old keeps choking cuz there’s no slow flow sippy cups that I’ve found… …i’m screwed basically…

Have you tried the sippy cups with the nipples and not the plastic lids? I had to use those for my son to wean him off his bottles. Let him use his bottles for a month but only at bedtime then transitioned from the nipples to the plastic lids and straws over time.

I just threw out the bottles no choice but to use the cup

1 Like

My daughter is one and doesn’t really like sippy cups either but she’ll drink from my cup or water bottle I just hold it for her and she uses a bottle when at dads for her milk. I still breastfeed her at night

Give home the slippy cup with drink and the bottle with little toys he can shake as he drinks so he is still comfortable

Take the bottles away now.Get cups with lids,and straws to use.But stop the bottles right away

Throw it away!! :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming:

I know not the bottle but this is how i weaned my daughter and one of my sons r from the boob,
Just get him to pick out a cool sippy cup a really special one that he chooses and start the conversation that when he’s a big brother he can use it, dont let him have it with milk yet but put it somewhere he can see it and talk about it every day. Say when you’re a big boy you will use that cup and you won’t need bottles. Just talk about it all the time, let him try drinking water out of it then in a week or 2 make all bottles disappear. (My boobs suddenly didnt work lol) Throw them out and pretend to look for them together and say. Omg you must be a big boy now cause all the bottles are gone. Give him his new cup with milk and make it really big deal that hes a big boy now.

You have to throw them away

My lil man is 1yo now and been off the bottle or at least using more cups than bottles since he was about 10mths. The straw cups were a huge stepping stone (using those since he was 6mo). Then used the 360 cup cuz still requires to suck, but its cup shaped. Now he uses just a regular Mickey Mouse sippy cup. I’d say try the straw ones to start n keep them bottles out of the 2yo’s sight. Ik it is hard and easier to give in, but it works both ways. He may not want to take from a cup n may be hard for him, but he will have no choice but to give in if he wants his milk. U got this mama. Stay persistent

Put pepper on the nipple.

2 Likes

Gave my son a sippy cup and just stopped giving him bottles. Never phased him

May sound crazy…
Do all take aways at full moon…
Cold turkey…
Worked great for me…
Of course this was years ago

Take it from him when the signs are in the bowels ( on the almanac calendar)

My 2 year old is the same. It’ll be hell but I think I’m going to try cold turkey.

Straw and cup. I weaned my daughter at 7 months doing this

Life is always beautiful when you be with the true person you love. For almost a year my lover had broke up with me and I was lonely and sad luckily I was directed to a very kind and Great spell caster Dr Madini Opa who helped me to bring back my lover to me and today I am with him now and happy together and very grateful for what you have done for me Dr Madini Opa Email him via spiritualmadiniopa@gmail. com OR what app on +2349026948490

1 Like

Dont mean to be so harsh… BUT. Throw them out. All of them. Allow her to look in the cupboards, drawers etc & show her that their gone! Try the 360 cups, or support him/her with a cup with no lid & maybe a straw? Try the metal ones if you’re concerned about the chewing.- If shes/hes thirsty, he/shell drink out of what you give her. Goodluck!

Me and my daughter threw them away together. Explained that she was a big girl. Wasn’t no problem

1 Like

We just went through this with my grandson. We tried everything. Nothing worked. Then I found a sippy cup with a soft tip. We threw all bottles out and it took a couple days but he finally took to it. I didn’t think he’d ever give up on his bottle. Good luck.

Put water in bottles only and juice in sipper cups. Worked for my two. Good luck

I threw away all of the bottles. Out of sight out of mind.

2 Likes

This is not meant to be harsh but remember first that you are doing the right thing for him and that you are the adult in this situation. He’s just trying to do what he knows and like with the bottle. Get rid of all the bottles. Sure he will fuss for a while but eventually he will use the cup. I work with 1 -2 year olds and the mom will come in first day and say my child will not use a sippy cup, however when we give it to them they use it, may be a little resistant at first but then it becomes natural to them so it can be done.

1 Like

Throw it away. No need for anything “extra”.

1 Like

Give him a small plastic cup tell him wow your a big boy now you get to drink out of big cup show a lot of praise hide the bottle tell him can’t find it you will have to drink out of big boy cup

For both of mines, I told them to follow me, I take the bottle and throw it in the trash and tell them there’s no more bottle. And then I deal with crying for a few hours until they realize I’m not giving in, and then that’s it.

1 Like

One day we just cold turkey threw them away

Cold turkey the bottle!!! It’ll be rough for a few days but your little one will forget about it. Use soft tip sippy cups to transition and then move to the hard plastic tip. Pretend to drink from it, “mmm milk”, this helped with our daughter. Might help for you! :upside_down_face:

I had the same issue with my daughter who is going to be 2 next week. Her pediatrician told me just to get rid of all the bottles in the house so she only had the option of sippy cups. Said she will drink it when she is thirsty enough. It only took a day and she was completely fine with it after that, now drinking out of regular cups as well

Just take it away and give sippy cups

My daughter wanted a Barbie, I told her they’re for big girls, your using a bottle, bottles are for babies. You want a Barbie, throw the bottle away and you can have one. She walked over to the garage pail and tossed it in, I picked her up and went to the store and she picked one out! That night she asked for a bottle. I reminded her she’s a big girl now she has a Barbie. She took Barbie to bed. End of bottle, she was about 20 months

Just take it away :woman_shrugging: he will throw a fit for the first 2 days but he will forget about it. When my daughter was 11months i forgot her bottle when went on a trip and all the stores were closed so we just had to quit the bottle cold turkey and it took her almost 2 days to forget about it

2 Likes

Chuck them in the bin and just give him open plastic cups make him sit and drink it will all work out

Regular cups! No sippy cups once he can get the hang of a regular cup at the table he’ll take a sippy cup

Throw the bottle away don’t give it back don’t give in and it’s over with

1 Like

I never went to sippy cups just straight to cups tell him that hes a big boy now or hes a big brother now and baby needs them so you have to up grade and they have to go in the bin and take him to buy a plastic cup with his fav character or fav print it may work worked helping me throw the dummy minus buying another haha

Try to just give him a bottle at night, doing the day a sippy cup that should do it.

Just let him keep it… remember he’s going to be small only one time and your never going to be to see him small again, well unless he’s getting ear infection all the time etc. If it doesn’t hurt his health I would say let him keep it and he will let it go on his own… that’s how my did he was like two and a half wen he diecided to get the big boy cup with Spiderman on it.

I had the same problem with both my girls and each time i used the 360 cup and bottle was gone in 1 day

1 Like

You can get sippy cups that have a bottle like nipple and then switch to the normal nipples once he gets used to that

My son gave his bottle to the neighbors dog, end of story. Try showing your child how to drink with a straw, they love it, blowing bubbles, etc., just don’t put a lot in cup at first, until accepted.

1 Like

My son was like that. My daughter is 8 months old and already on a sippy cup. U can try cutting the bottles nip a little.

Stop giving them to him…

I hid all the bottles up high and said I can’t find them and that I’ll buy more from the shop and never did he hardly drinks milk any more only water

Who is the parent you or the kid? Take the things away and do not give them back

GD idea…NOT All kids are the same

Don’t buy soft spot sippy cups and don’t offer bottle. He’ll drink it when he realizes you’re not giving in.

Chuck them in trash try the sippy cups that have a straw instead of spout

Give him a regular cup. My son went from bottle to regular cup, I got one of those 360° cups for in the car!
My son kept his bottle till he was 2 only because I was giving him more milk due to the fact that he was an incredibly awful eater.
I took the bottle away when we were ready and never gave it back.

I got my daughter the dr brown transition bottles that still look like the bottle but have a sippy nipple and she took fine to it after a couple hours

There are some sippy cups now that have sputs like a bottle. That’s how I wanted my son off the bottle.

For three days it will be hard… you must stick to it, if you give in, you will have to keep starting over,remove all bottles , he will drink from sippy cup when really thristy, put one in each room…

3 Likes

Make then all disappear. Sure there will be a couple tearful days but it will pass. You got this!

Unfortunately, i cant offer any advice because my daughter-in-law has been trying with my grandson. He turned 2 in October and they’ve tried all of the above and nothing has worked. He will drink from a sippy during meals but once he’s done eating, he wants his bottle. He literally screams until he throws up and then screams some more. Didn’t matter how thirsty he was between meals…he wouldn’t drink from a sippy.

My kids weened themselves at @ 2, when they are ready they will let it go, what’s the rush? You have to clean it whether it’s a bottle or cup. Most kids have something that is a comfort for them, why take it away. If you don’t like that answer then it’s going to be a matter of simply taking it away and dealing with the fit

Patience will be needed. Simply take away the bottle. I would start in the morning when removing the bottle. They’ll cry for a few days and will drink from sippy cup when thirsty. It’s not easy hearing them cry, I know.

2 Likes

my mom told my little sister that mama cat needed it for her kitten. it worked!

Check the farmers almanac for best days to wean/train. Worked for all 3 of my kids for nursing, pacis, bottles, and potty.
If that doesn’t work, tell them the Easter Bunny took it :wink:

Take it away and give him a cup. If he doesn’t have it, he will use the cup.

We let our kid throw the bottles in the trash. And said goodbye! That worked for us.

Idk. My babies were only given bottle for feedings only no in betweens or allowed to have all day. And when they started to sit in high chair they got sippy cups when eating. They were never attached to there bottle so by age one they were off of it.

2 Likes

My sons saw us drinking from pop bottles, Gatorade, milk bottles etc and wanted a drink…would give a sip and they wanted more so I would say babies who drink baby bottles can’t have big people bottles so if you give mommy your bottle, mommy will give you hers(but made sure it was something they could drink)

Skip the sippy cup. Buy the cups that seal when not being drank from and use those. Trust that when the 2 yr old gets thristy they will drink. Just be strong and dont give them a bottle. I know it’s hard but your tough mama

2 Likes

I don’t mean to sound rude but…do not offer a bottle. It’s simple but it’s not easy. Good luck!

1 Like

Yall would be surprised how quick your kids will take to the new items when the old ones are gone and their tummies are really starting to hurt…lol its really not that hard. Just need a lot patience and ear plugs.

2 Likes

They have hard nipples for bottles that’s what my daughter gives to my granddaughter

Put water in the bottle and milk or juice in a sippy cup.

Put plain water in bottle and a little juice or sugar water, tea, something sweet in sippy cups. Get rid of every bottle except 1 and find a spout instead of a nipple for it. (Look at Walmart or online) and stick to it, even though it’s hard.

1 Like

I put the baby formula into the bottle and gave it to my son when I was pregnant with my daughter. He took a drink gagged threw the bottle took his sippy cup and went to play. Never asked again

2 Likes

I bought my son cups that looked like bottles, I just switched the top for a bottle nipple and after a few months put in the top that belonged in it. Another few months we started regular looking sippy cups and had no issues.

1 Like

Hide ALL of the bottles!!

My 3 daughters were all only allowed bottles for feedings, they were never allowed to take them in their beds or anything and they were on a cup before they were a year old

You should try different sippy cups until you find the right one. Kids are so picky and there’s lots of different types to choose from. He’ll most likely find one he’s comfortable with. You might have to employ some tough love though.

Put tonic water in the bottle and milk in the sippy cup. Tonic water is nasty tasting!
Every time he asks for the bottle, put the tonic water in it. He wil eventualy stop asking for the bottle. Worked for my nephew. Got him off the bottle in one weekend. He was 5.

2 Likes

I used the sippy cups with the wide nipple that she had to tip up like a bottle to drink.

Just stop giving it to him. When my daughter broke her last bottle that was it. No more bottles.

Tell him to throw his bottle out the window then have him tell it bye bye. Then get rid of the rest urself

What about a straw cup , I have Tupperware cups that have spill proof lids that I just put a regular straw in and my little guy thinks it’s a big boy cup

There are sippy cups with soft spouts and sippy cups that have interchangeable tops as well. Try those with your little one. All kids are different. Try offering the cup all day and see how they do. If he asks for a bottle, tell him they are for babies and he’s not a baby anymore that he’s a big boy. Hope this helps.

Cut the nibble off… Or through away the bottles away… That’s how I did it with my daughter when she was 2… It worked

Buy sippy cups with bottle nipples they do make them

Take the bottles away from him. He will get thirsty enough and start drinking from the sippy cup

1 Like

I’ve seen success with sippy cups that have straws

1 Like

Dnt give in …give him a cup when he gets thirsty he will drink

1 Like