How can I get my 2-year-old to behave in church?

Church school perhaps

I would try to find a service that isn’t during nap time. I won’t even leave my house if it’s getting close to my daughter’s nap time, since I know she can turn into a little monster.

3 Likes

Shame on the people commenting under their breath!! Babies will be babies. Most churches have something set up for the little ones so mom and dad can hear the message

7 Likes

A two year old’s capability of concentration averages out at 10 minutes. You CAN expect him to learn and expand over time, but you CANNOT expect him to perform outside of his capabilities. He needs to run around and explore and yell and be silly, it’s what healthy 2 year olds do. This is the very reason a lot of churches do Kid’s Church near the beginning of the service, and then send them off to Sunday School.

1 Like

Just my personal opinion and, I’ll get backlash for it… But, meh I’m use to it lol.

A church where people are making remarks and, gossiping undering their breath isnt a church I would wanna be in… Again speaking from MY opinion only. I get where they are coming from. But anyone who isn’t helping is hindering… Maybe you could find a church that offers child watch or, has children’s vocational school during service so they learn about your religion at a level they can appreciate until their older. My church does this and it is PHENOMENAL. Good luck.

6 Likes

Mine likes to draw or play with cars somewhat quietly. He is still a bit loud for my tastes, but we sit in the back and the people in our church are very kind and supportive and don’t mind. I have been to churches where people aren’t supportive. I would definitely recommend finding a space that is more family friendly if you can.

2 Likes

They all had bad ass little kids at some point. Let him flip tf out. He’s bored as shit. Tell um “under your breath” that God drowns people with shitty attitudes. Stfu🤷‍♀️ mean while. My granny always had peppermints, pens and paper or a notepad handy for each of us. But we were made to try to pay attention during certain times. Just to learn to listen to the preacher and to sing with the choir. It was easy for her I guess because ain’t nobody stupid enough to mouth off to my granny. Lol

All I can say don’t take him or let him go

My church is awesome about understanding babies/toddlers. But I take snacks, water, and small toys to help keep her occupied. And sometimes we still end up in the nursery. It’s hard for them to sit still that long.

Throw holy water on him and hope for the best? :woman_shrugging:

9 Likes

Does your church have any kind of nursery or daycare ? I know not all do but the ones I have been to have and it is the best thing to leave them with the children’s ministry so you can enjoy your time at church !!

Give him an ipad or put him in the nursey.

Oh so you mean he is acting like ANY 2 year old😂 I don’t force my kids to go to church (I do not go either) they have a few times and don’t care for it… when they are older I’ll still give them the options and they can decide in what they choose to believe in … but 2? I was saved and baptized by the time I was 7 because I was FORCED to and I just don’t believe in it… if your that concerned what other people are saying see in someone can watch him while you attend or find another church

4 Likes

Definitely difficult to expect a 2 year old to behave for an hour or more, but with the right background and activities, it’s doable.

Try to instill in him the understanding that there is play time and then there’s is quiet time. If he can comprehend that, then let him know that beginning of church and end of church is play time and sermon time is quiet time. If you think rewarding him for good behavior will help, by all means.

Like baby have said already, quiet activities can help keep him distracted. Coloring books, puzzles, and snacks are good options. Definitely stay away from tablets and phones that will completely pull him away from his environment.

2 Likes

I take my 1 year old and she struggles sometimes and gets squirmy. Do you like your church? If people are making you feel uncomfortable maybe a different church would support you better. Is there a different service time you can go to that isn’t right around his nap time? We go to the early traditional service because the second more kid friendly service falls during my daughters nap time. I pack a bag with snacks, sippy cup, books, and quiet toys. Our church provides “kids activity bags” that have coloring books and crayons. Find what works for your child and be kind to yourself. You are doing the best you can!

1 Like

Lots of snacks, stickers, and Water Wow buys me anywhere from 30-45 minutes of silence. After that, one of us has to take kiddos to play in the nursery

Maybe they are smart enough already to realize that they don’t want to be manipulated and brainwashed

3 Likes

If your church doesn’t have a kids program and the members are intolerant of a toddler in the service, maybe this isn’t the church for you. Your 2 year old is, well…, 2. Therefore he will act 2. We moved every three years in the early years of my 4 children (military) and one the top considerations in choosing a church was the children’s program. Without knowing your situation and why you go to this church, it’s hard to give much help. But, I feel that the leaders of your church should be working something out so that mothers of young children can go to church. Your first obligation is to your son and to not have unattainable expectations on him. Btw, I have worked in churches for years and believe in raising your kids in church. But the church needs to meet the needs of it’s congregants. It’s to serve you, so you can better serve God.

Do they have a crying room that is used by moms with kids

They don’t have a nursery? If the other patrons are being rude and talking about you and doing what a normal 2yr old would do they should be trying to help you encourage you ect. I would find a new church that was more accepting of children or had a children’s service

If it’s around his nap time then change the time you go to church. You can’t expect a 2 year old to sit still when they are normally sleeping!!

1 Like

Sorry for the laugh…brought back fond memories :blush: if they have a nursery off he goes. If they don’t, quiet activities like coloring or quiet toys help…and snacks. If it is nap time maybe bring a blankie and he can curl up while you enjoy the service. I hope something helps

Leave your kid alone! Stop brainwashing your kids. If there was a god you wouldn’t need to ask for help on social media and if you actually believed in your god then you would believe that your child’s behavior is gods will, everything is gods will.

3 Likes

Tell other people to mind their own business. He’s 2 not 22. When he gets loud take him out for a few minutes. He’s bored most likely. Do y’all have a children’s church option? That could work.

1 Like

He lacks the ability to sit still and behave In church.

2 Likes

Stand at the back of the room with him so that you can take him outside if he gets loud. You can also bring him coloring books and other things to entertain him.

1 Like

He’s 2, you can’t force him to do anything.

4 Likes

Go during a time it’s not nap time, u can’t bend his body clock to church hours or find a church that has a children’s program.

2 Likes

I promise you, god will understand if you hold off taking him until he’s ready to behave. Or, maybe sunday school so you can enjoy the service. Otherwise, I just wouldn’t take him at all. And like I said…god will totally understand your temporary absence from church. Maybe stay home and create a church like setting for you and baby. Best of both worlds. YouTube a service if that’s what you need.

1 Like

I quit going and chose spirituality over religion. I’m more at peace and my toddler is benefiting from it. If the members are rude about your toddler, go somewhere else. They apparently aren’t there for the right reasons. This is just my opinion and what I’ve done. You do what you feel led to do.

4 Likes

Tablet with sound off. What I had to do with mine was coloring books and even hot wheel cars

1 Like

Give him crayons and paper and maybe a couple quiet toys to occupy him. You can’t expect but so much from him, hes only 2. Mine are 5 and almost 7 and still have a hard time sitting through church

1 Like

Mine stayed in the nursery most of the time

1 Like

What do you mean when you say he falls out?

Taking something for him to do. Or let him run where he won’t interrupt everyone else. Toddlers are full of energy. Does the church have a nursery? Let him go there and play.

1 Like

Is there a children’s class during church hours he could attend?

1 Like

Find a new church that is more accommodating for a small child. And as for those onlookers who talk smack. Just smile and apologize also remind them Childeren werent made to sit still. If ur current church has a cry room and children miniseries utilize them, thats what they are there for.

Most churches have a cry room.

Does your church not offer a daycare for children during service? If not I would suggest maybe trying to find a church that does offer that. If you’re not wanting that then try sitting in the back and getting up and walking him out when he acts up. At 2 he’s just not ready to sit still anywhere.

5 Likes

I bring my kids to a church that has a children’s section. They have an infant/toddler room & a separate room for kids ages 5 & up. They teach them all about God but in a fun way.

1 Like

He’s to small to just sit there. He needs to go to the nursery or age appropriate classroom.

Spank his butt right there in the pew. Worked for mine just fine. And once my pastor said, if a crying baby bothers you in church, you need to sit a little closer to the front. Never forgot it. It’s a season. Praying for you. Do not leave your home church because of this. No matter where you go, there are these types of people. Good thing they’re in church where they need to be. It is a learning period, breathe and pray girl.

5 Likes

First of all, if he’s not quiet, you need to walk outside with him out of respect for the rest of the congregation.

To help prevent breakdowns, try putting him to bed a little later than usual the night before and let him sleep in that morning. Bring non messy snacks for when he starts to get restless (don’t give them to him right away because he’ll still be restless later and then you’ll be out of snacks.) Bring quiet toys. But again, don’t give him everything right away. Start put with one quiet toy or felt board, then when he begins to lose interest and get restless, bring out something new.

Let him have time between Sunday/Sabbath school classes and church service to walk around outside and get some energy out. Hold him and rock him to sleep if he needs that. Get up and walk outside with him during the service If he needs it. Little ones aren’t good at sitting still that long and they really have no interest in what the pastor is talking about. You’re just going to have to accept that your enjoyment of the service is going to be interrupted by your son until he’s older.

Also utilize the mother’s/children’s room if they have one.

I have 3 toddlers, they go to the nursery when they get loud. Our church has a speaker in the nursery so we don’t miss out on the service. Kids that age aren’t capable of being mellow for that long :woman_shrugging:t2:

Our church has a nursery, as well a sunday school for school age kids. Perhaps look into a church with those options in your area. Or as someone before me suggested, you tube a service at home until he is more able to self entertain for a good length of time

1 Like

New church. The whispers are a definite sign of not for you. The pastor’s wife told me wheni e was aost one it was to.e for him to go to the nursery and when I did the one day they abused him. Churches that do not have tolerance for the Innocent are dangerous.

1 Like

To you its chaos but to everyone who has been where you currently are believe me, (I have 7 children) its beautiful to see and hear your little one. Pay no mind to the neigh sayers. Jesus loves the little children. Someone mentioned making a church like atmosphere try that a few times a week but just for a few minutes at a time. Then when its Sunday he won’t be caught off guard. Snacks, silent tablet, books…

1 Like

If people are saying stuff under their breath- you’re at the wrong church. Find one that has nicer people and also a daycare room during services. Most churches have rooms you can go in until they settle or childcare during services.

6 Likes

Tbh my nephew used to do the same thung. Sometimes its not something you can help. Sit on the outaide if thr pugh next to the wall and give him boundaries. Tell him to do it quietly ir hell have to sit down. Guve him a quiet toy to play with next to the wqll in the floor. My nephew used to walk up and down the isle preaching like the preacher

Dont they have children’s service? That’s where I went when i was younger.

Dont be moved by other peoples words. They are fakers and not paying attention to the reason they are there. Every child is different and thus your 2 yr old is doing just fine. Tell them jesus loves little childrens lqughs and crazy antics qnd itll shut them up pretty quickly. Church isnt about silence its about talking about him and making noise to celebrate Jesus. So hes just having some fun doing exactly that in his own tiny little self way. Dont be discouraged

1 Like

Bring a book for him

Find a church that has Sunday school for 2 year olds. They’ll listen to sermons that they can understand. They usually have coloring, small playtime, and snack time. Another option, drawing pad to keep them entertained or coloring book.

Our church had a nursery and also classrooms for different ages. Parents would come downstairs and pick up their children when church was over. Church is boring for a 2 year old and it lasts over an hour!!

1 Like

Do you take a mini backpack of a drawling notepad with some color crayons, hot wheels, maybe a couple mess free snacks?

Have him pay attention as much as possible maybe through the singing part (not sure of your religion)

Good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

Go at a different time, or leave him at home with someone.

This will start a firestorm, but how religious do you want him to be later in life? Not church member, or devoted to a denomination, but in relationship with God. A minister in the family used to say that no souls were saved after the first 10 minutes of a sermon. As his relatives, we were expected to go to Sunday morning services and “act right” for that hour. We didn’t do morning naps, but Granny was there and cuddles were free. Mom sang in the choir, and the only time one of us got hard-headed about keeping quieter with a toy, Mom cane out of the choir. We made sure that was never needed again!! I don’t remember what happened when she took him out, but pleasing her was always very important.

Maybe…don’t go during his nap time

2 Likes

Most churches have a nursery so that the little ones can do there thing away from the service and maybe instead of talking about you some of those folks could help you out maybe find a church that is more welcoming to you and your family.

Can you go at a different time?

He’s 2 he isn’t meant to sit still and behave…hell my 7 year old doesn’t even sit still at times but he also has ADHD

Find a church that welcomes children, talk to your pastor as well and see if maybe there isca reason that they don’t have children’s service?

You drop him off in day care . Church is not for infants and toddlers !

1 Like

Whoop his ass! I’d say shit too. Out of control kids are only a result of lazy parents. Discipline him. Take his toys.

Doesn’t your church have a childrens group?

Too young for man made rituals such as church.

2 Likes

You do not have to go to church to have a good relationship with god.

1 Like

Find another church.

1 Like

Church nursery. He can’t help it. They should understand. Tell them to pray about it.LOL

3 Likes

When I went to church growing up us kids went to the room for our age. He’s 2 he’s not going to sit still for long especially if it’s a long service.

2 Likes

Find another church. One that has a nursery for kids.

3 Likes

He is 2…reapeat that again… No 2 year old is going to sit still and behave for a long period of time, especially during a nap time.

6 Likes

Your child doesn’t need to change. He is 2 and everything he is doing is normal. You need to find a more accepting church.

2 Likes

Most churches have children rooms. Go to one of them. Also my church has an in closed room with a speaker and glass around it where everyone can see the preacher and listen.

2 Likes

We keep our children in worship with us. Children learn by example, and they will learn to sit and listen. I allow my children to walk in our pew and I bring snacks and activities for them. I have a 2 and 4 year old along with an infant.

No one should make comments because the best place for your children to be during worship is with you. If there is not another time to attend, try snacks and activities. I am proud of you for wanting your child with you during worship. Way to go momma. You’re doing great.

9 Likes

Don’t take him to church? 🤷

2 Likes

I have a 4 year old and 1 month old. We go to church every Sunday. Our church has a nursery but don’t use them for my kids. My 4 year old is now old enough to attend children’s church while we attend adult service, but he used to stay with me during service. I would bring him activities to do or sometimes he got to play learning games on my tablet with headphones on. Our church is also very kid friendly so even when he made a little noise no one cared. Our pastor and associate pastor both have small kids, as do a number of members.

2 Likes

If the People at the church are doing that then find a new church with good people in it x

3 Likes

If people are making remarks about your child while you’re in church you are going to the wrong church. I feel you mama and no matter how loud and obnoxious my kids get in church and I feel embarrassed all I feel is love from the people around us.

4 Likes

Find a church with a nursery.

4 Likes

To young , they should have a Sunday school class or a room for kids to play with people watching them til service is over. There is no way a 2 year old would even sit that long and he is bored lol

3 Likes

No 2 yr old is gonna sit still…even in church…if the congrigation cant except that find a child friendly church

5 Likes

Every church I’ve been to has a nursery for children under 5, look into a church with a nursery.

3 Likes

I go to Immanuel Church. Greenhill and Pennsylvania Ave. We have a 2-3 year olds class. Church is so important.

1 Like

Start a nursery. If you can’t find a different church

Yeah so 2 year olds are savages and assholes. Most churches have nurseries for this reason. I would look for one with a nursery or inquire about whether or not your church has one. Or find a babysitter?

Take advantage of the church’s childcare if there is one at that time, if there isn’t find a sitter.

1 Like

Take him to the nursery. Or if you don’t feel comfortable doing this then sit towards the back and when he starts getting restless, take him out of the sanctuary.

2 Likes

Put him in the nursery or class for 2 year olds.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t take a 2 year old to church anyway, personally.
I’d suggest some sort of care within the church? Sunday school or something? Or just continuing your faith at home until 2 year old is old enough to sit still.

2 Likes

he is two !! if the other churchgoers are making mumbles and remarks about a baby maybe they need to reevaluate their Cristian values

7 Likes

That is what the churches have nurserys for !!

1 Like

Aren’t people that go to church supposed to be like the most amazing people that would do anything to help anyone? If they see you there struggling to hear the word with everyone else why don’t they get up off their judgmental asses and help?

1 Like

Go to a larger church that has a daycare in it until your child is older, we go to hear the music and the sermon !

I know it’s tough. I prefer a church with children’s church/Sunday school. Other than that, maybe YouTube without sound

1 Like

He’s two tough it out or put church on the tv and watch it

1 Like

Try to make him have a small nap before? I’d just ignore anyone who says anything.

our church members just ignored it, and soon the child behaved

Don,t take him He is to small he is too young and you can read him Bible stories just as good

3 Likes

Every church has a room where mothers can go sit back with the children ask

1 Like