How can I get my 2-year-old to behave in church?

How do I get my two years to behave in church?? He wants to run around and screams and falls out when I don’t let him. I don’t know what to do anymore, and it doesn’t help that it’s usually around his nap time, but there’s too much going on for him to settle down. I’m so sick of ppl making remarks under their breath. Please help

44 Likes

He’s two! You can’t! Is there not a separate room where you can still listen and tend to your child?

6 Likes

…the child is 2. Enough said.

4 Likes

Does your church have a daycare during church hours

Does your church not have a separate area for children to learn? Different classroom settings by the age?

Your at church, shouldn’t people not be passing judgement? He’s a toddler, they need to get over it!

6 Likes

Do they not have a childrens church there? My church has a separate service/class for children.

I’ve only taken my son who will be 2 in December a few times to church with my mom and he has done these exact same things. I usually end up taking him out to the bathroom to run around for a few, then come back give him snacks, a toy, or let him watch his favorite shows on my phone. have you tried those things? they may help keep him occupied.

1 Like

Make a go bag for him. 2 snack items, a drink, 3 crayons, 1 bible coloring page, 3 baby books for his age group. 2 small toys or take him to the nursery and play there while you listen to the sermon if available at your church.

I had to either go to the nursery and listen over the speakers and return for communion/confession.

3 Likes

Honestly if anyone is making remarks underneath their breath, that’s not the church for you. He’s 2 he’s going to act out. Do they have a children’s church? Or a room that you can take him too?

7 Likes

There was a time when my son was little like that that I ended up having to just stay home because it was so difficult and such a distraction. is it possible just to watch a Podcast or something?

Sounds like you need to find a new church. Or just worship at home. Growing up I’ve realized church folks are the most judgmental.

7 Likes

He’s two …lol my daughter is the same way

1 Like

He’s TWO, that’s not gonna happen and you can’t expect that of him either. Can’t you send him to Sunday school or maybe find a mother’s room or something?

1 Like

Healthy snacks and a quiet toy or books x

1 Like

hes 2! either dont take him or dont go… only 2 choices thats why they usually have sunday school for the kids cause they cant sit still and be quiet its boring for them especially at 2 years old

2 Likes

Cartoons on an ipad on mute?

My son was older than too but sitting still in church was difficult. The doctor suggested very quiet activities for him like a book to look through or a coloring book and a few crayons and after every couple of mins give him a small sticker and let him know he is going well. Just an idea if your little one likes stickers. He is still so young though.

too young to be expected to sit through a sermon

1 Like

Lol he’s 2, don’t stress mama!

2 Likes

Remove him from the situation for a few minutes, tell him no and that its quiet time, and repeat every single time. My daughter had an issue with not behaving in public and we would just leave. If I was in the middle of shopping I usually was with my hubby so I would tell him to finish and we would go sit in the car. Eventually she learned that if she cant listen to me or her daddy then we wouldnt be going in anywhere. If your church has a daycare or separate place for kids I would try that first but if it’s not an option then I would just take them out and see if it resets the behavior

Isnt there a place for mums andd babies…maybe a babysitter for a few months . 2yr olds are not famous for sitting still and being quiet. Maybe take a toy for distraction…good lluck with that

Find a different church. Ive never been to a church where they treat mom’s and toddlers like that.

5 Likes

You don’t. Catch a service on YouTube or something.

1 Like

Of a church can’t do their serman due to a child being a kid then you must be in the wrong church. God loves all young to the elderly

6 Likes

I take my two-year-old to church all the time I bring toys that don’t make noise for him to play with and when he gets really antsy I take him into the nursing room to play

1 Like

Daycare/ Nursery at the church? My 15 month old goes. There is no way she would sit through adult church

2 Likes

My MIL’s church had a day care that all kids went to while the grown ups were in the service. Why would you even try to bring a child that young to a service and expect him to sit through it? I would be upset to if I was trying to enjoy service and someone had their kid acting like that. Definitely find a church that has a kids room so he is occupied and you can do the service with no stress

3 Likes

My 2 year old doesn’t sit still either. There is a cry room at our parish but it’s usually full so I haven’t gone to Mass in over a year.

My 18 month old sits with me and dad until he gets antsy and then we take him to the children’s area or we watch the rest of the service in the lobby while he runs out that energy.

I make a quite bag, snack like gummies, sippy cup, coloring book, his dinosaurs and a few cars. My husband and I sit about 3 feet apart and he can walk between us and I get one item out at a time… It is usually only about 30 minutes of quite time …only when the preacher is preaching

2 Likes

Good luck. Honestly none of our children behave perfectly in church LOL. Usually I try to entertain mine till they can go to nursery/class!

He’s two. It takes time and patience. Sit near the back, be willing to take small breaks (into the lobby), bring snacks, and bring quiet activities for him to do. When he misbehaves, simply remove him from the sanctuary. This process could take a couple years. Kids are not used to 1. being quiet 2. sitting still If your church has a nursery, it would make sense to use it on occasion.
The people talking under their breath are likely just as frustrated as you are and wishing your child would be quiet. They simply want you to be mindful of the space and remove the child. Don’t take it personally.

1 Like

Do you sit in the back? I know that is the natural tendency but honestly I’ve found there’s less distraction if you sit towards the front. Put together a church bag that you only use on Sundays. Quiet toys that will keep him occupied. Snacks are always a good thing to have too. The transition from two naps to one is a very frustrating time. I really didn’t attend church much during that time but in hind sight the more you do it the better used to it they get. I completely empathize with the remarks from others. Try to ignore or kill them with kindness. If you’re feeling bold respond with, “I’m happy to pawn him off on you if you’d like. I could really use a break”

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry about other people. He’s an active 2 Yr old, he needs to be up and about so you won’t keep him still and it would be unfair to try.
People need to appreciate you’re taking your child to mass and shut up.
Be worse if you didn’t go.
If it’s really bothering you is there another church you could go to more child friendly, or someone who could watch your baby for you and go it alone.

1 Like

Honestly I think it’s rude to say don’t take him, a child isn’t gonna sit still at two and if she wants him growing up in the church and Christian faith then good for her. But church people can be really rude sometimes also so😬 I’d find a different church or take him out to the car when he starts getting fussy

3 Likes

He’s 2…service is like 4 hours… don’t take him. Daycare/ nursery.

There’s a lot of churches that age infant toddler class even kids class. Maybe you can start looking for new church’s?

See about setting up a child care center in the same building, while you are at church.

Let the child run around. Let the people make there remarks. You are there to praise God not to worry about what people think.

5 Likes

When my children were that age, they went in the Nursery----best place for a two year old. There, they can act like a two year old. I believe my kids were maybe 4 before going in Church. Actually, there was “Children’s Church” up to a certain age. If your Church doesn’t have a Nursery, take a coloring book and crayons—small toys(little cars, etc.) anything that doesn’t make noise, books. Hope it works out for you.

1 Like

God loves all children even when they cant sit still his his house. Your congregation should understand your need to be among them.

3 Likes

Forget the under the breath remarks. The child is two, they’re gonna act rowdy, especially around nap time. Next time say “what you’ve never seen a two year old before” or even say “sorry we had him exorcised last week and I guess we didn’t get all the demons out, so now we’re back”

4 Likes

If in your church they have a room where you can drop off your child so they can watch the
you should try that I leave my son there because he is always wilding lol but he enjoys playing with the kids there so its a win win

1 Like

Hard to keep a two year old quiet in church, I would take his favorite toys , Do not let him run around in church. If that don’t help , people will soon learn to ignore him, good luck.

2 Likes

Don’t take a child to an adult event. Simple.

5 Likes

Miss your son is to young for church unless they have a cry room maybe u could get asitter until he’s little older

2 Likes

My church had childcare up until age 5 for all church activities! :heart:

He’s 2. Dont they have child care during service? Or like play group… I get what your trying to accomplish but in reality. He’s still just 2.

1 Like

Make him practice behaving at home.

2 Likes

My service is always 45 min -1 hr. So my kid whos 2.5 I just bring coloring stuff for him.
I’ve never heard of a service being longer tbh

2 Likes

Do they offer a baby room?maybe step outside once he fusses, keep soft quiet toys handy or snacks until he learns to behave in church, its a adjustment for them that small

Your in church… if members are complaining you need to speak to the pastor to address it because god designed children to be that way and that’s gross to judge you for that.

4 Likes

Matthew 19:14. Jesus loves us all. Don’t sweat them talking.

Some churches have a place for kids to play and maybe bring something for him to do bring a small book let him color . People should realize he is 2 and if people are complaining talk to the pastor hun.

It’s really sad that people in your church are making remarks under their breath. That’s not cool

2 Likes

We used to bring books and snacks and little toys.We brought ours when they were babies to church.So they were actually good.

2 Likes

Projects like coloring books or activities books or small toys or a phone on low YouTube videos thats what I do

He’s 2. You can’t. Take toys and snacks with you and if he still fussing then you will have to get up and leave the service. That’s what parents should do when they have children out in public that are disrupting other people. Use it as a teacher and when he comes down tell him that now you guys can go back but if he starts to fuss again then do it all over again. If he can’t stop fussing in church then you’re going to have to get a babysitter for him while you go to church and try again when he’s a little bit older.

8 Likes

Take things he can occupy himself with like a tablet with headphones crayons and color book the list goes on and if ppl mind his presence and innocents then they shouldn’t be there ok you doing a great job​:grin::grin::grin::ok_hand::vulcan_salute:

I’ve always picked a church that has places for the kids to be and does fun activities based on their age.

3 Likes

Put him in Sunday school or find another church that isn’t full of judgemental asshats.

3 Likes

That’s why I talk to God at home…

I don’t know if your church offers the same as what my church does, but they have nursery for babies up to 3 year olds and children’s church is offered for 3-5 year olds during the sermon. I would try that if it’s available. We have a lot of kids who go to our church so some noise/interruption is to be expected. My parents when I was little made me a church bag, which had bible coloring pages, colored pencils, books, and some candy. It usually kept my sister and me occupied during the sermon.
Just don’t give up! When he is sitting with you during church, keep modeling to him what to do during church. He’s so little yet and is still learning, but he will eventually catch on!

1 Like

My son is 9 months. He sits for a good portion of it but than he wants to go. I have a children’s room I take him to. Or snacks work well. For a two year old is there a quiet toy or coloring book and crayons you can bring. I am thankful that my church is very understanding of kids and babies bc his older siblings 7 and 10 hate being in the adult service and not children church. If there is no children church like this past Sunday we tell them that if they sit still and don’t fidget we will do dessert with dinner or we will play after church if it’s warm enough or earns them “ screen time”

My 2yr old is the same way. She won’t color for long. The only way I could even get her to sit still and be quiet at a wedding was to keep giving her suckers :grimacing:

1 Like

Usually churches have a cry room for the kiddos…ask about it, try that. If not i would just find a babysitter for Sunday mornings🤷

1 Like

That child is only too so it’s kind of hard to keep them calm and Collective at 2 years old I can’t even get my 15 year old to calm down in public places

1 Like

Maybe you could bring a book and some quiet snacks to keep him somewhat entertained. Think of ways you can get him excited to go to church. When I was going to church there would be a room all the kids would go in, to do crafts, plays and so on.

I dunno, maybe don’t go to church and instead do something fun and constructive with your kid? Or let him take the nap he needs?

3 Likes

Gotta be a Baptist Church :joy:

1 Like

Child care at church, change time of nap, or change church service time, color books, reading books, little toy, snacks. Some churches have an outside courtyard with video feed, let him play a little around your chair. If they have a child care room sometimes they have videofeed there too just to get him used to being away from you for a little. I’m right there with you :slight_smile: we sit outside with the video feed most times.

Nursery. Even if there isn’t one make one yourself. Enlist other parents to help so you can switch off. I’ve been here too.

1 Like

Take that baby and teach him . As an older person I enjoy watching young parents teach their children. Yes there maybe times you have to take child outside or to another room. But in doing so you are teaching. Keep up the good work mom

1 Like

Find another service not a nap time? Don’t force a 2 year old to sit though a service? It’s boring for them

2 Likes

He’s 2…! See Lorena Montelongo’s answer, very sensible.

If there’s not a place for kids ask the pastor for a kids room. Crayons, snacks things to keep him occpied during church could help till you get a room. Sorry ppl are makin remarks.

I’m sorry but a REAL christian shouldn’t be making snide remarks under their breath. Just saying 💁

1 Like

He’s 2, a toddler and church is just a bunch of grown ups talking and occasionally singing. He probably finds it boring. I know that I was forced to go as a kid and felt bored all the time - probably why I still don’t go unless I have to, and even then, I don’t want to. Maybe don’t take him until he’s older and he wants to go

1 Like

He’s 2. Let him nap and stop taking him to church. Obvious no?

Bring snacks a device should help. An ipad or phone with cool headphones. He/she can watch cartoons. Color or try and make it the childs naptime. Give the child a warm bath just before you go to church.

1 Like

We had that problem for the longest time too. We found a church finally that has big, fun rooms for kids to go and learn based on their age/school grade. Lots of playing, singing, arts and crafts. They love it. Then the adults can enjoy the service on their own.

He’s 2 and behaving like a 2 year old lol. Bring quiet toys and activities and be prepared to get up and leave. And then try again next week.

2 Likes

My child is that child! We bring cars with us and a favorite snack. Then we only stay for singing then he goes to nursery. If your church doesnt have that i find walking around in the lobby so your little on can move and you can listen to the sermon works really well. And if you have a hubby switch off weeks in the lobby. That way both of your are spiritually fed but also helping with kiddo :slightly_smiling_face:

Let him nap while you go to church. He can go with you when naps and behavior are no longer an issue. Or do they dont have a kid/baby area? That might be the better option.

Our kids were raised in church. It’s a learned behavior. If you are going here and there of course it’s going to be harder for them to understand. We had a little carry bag for each child with a few quiet toys, books, coloring books, crayons, stickers, non messy snack and sippy cup. Of course there were times we had to take one out for a minute. Letting a child run the isles is not appropriate and keeps others from being able to enjoy the service. Our kids loved the music, singing and offering portion.

1 Like

Activities for him to do, also slowly increase the time he in the service and then take him out for a few mins. And go back.

Stay away for phones and tablets.

First off WHATS A TWO YEAR OLD DOING BEING DRAGGED TO CHURCH. :rage:

2 Likes

Stop going to that church and stop expecting so much from a 2 year old, he’s learning and you need people around you to support you not make remarks. He’s 2! He’s learning!

4 Likes

People saying " Find a sitter/ leave him at home" No! She wants her child to grow up in church! You start them young so they grow knowing and she can work on his behavior as he grows! Serve and praise as a family :heart::heart:

To OP, don’t give up on your baby he will learn as he grows I use to struggle when my daughter was small but as she got older (now 5) she has grown to love going to service and prays and speaks of God often and now we do the same with our 1 year old boy. Its doable

4 Likes

Give him a phone to watch cartoons and some snacks

Don’t brainwash him churches are cults he’s trying to get away.

9 Likes

Have an activity bag for him. Give him room to move a little bit. Also, it takes patience and calm nerves around negative comments and glares. You’re in Gods house, He is the only one you need to worry about, and He’s just fine with all of you.

1 Like

Your church doesnt have a cry room? Ours does and it’s pretty good since you cant hear babies crying until they open the door. I wouldnt suggest giving him a snack because it will make a mess but maybe a toy or something, nothing that would make noise.

Hes 2. Cant expect him to be still that long. Our church has nursery and childrens church for the older ones. Our 2 girls go to childrens church and pur youngest sits out with me until he gets ill or antsy and then goes to nursery. Its a process thats for sure. Each time he sits a little longer. Hes understanding and its also gettin him ready to be semi still in childrens church when hes old enough as well. No worries mama. Let them talk. You do you and do what works.

He’s 2 not going to happen and 3 is worse. You are expecting to much from a toddler

1 Like

Don’t force them into religion. First of all you can’t expect a two-year-old to sit through a service. Also as someone who was brought up Catholic and despised it I wouldn’t force my children into a religion. bottom line you can raise them however you want but they will make their own decision when the time comes as I have. wait until they are old enough to tell you whether or not they’re interested in believing the same thing you do. just assuming your child should be just like you and have all the same beliefs as you is wrong. Would you love your child less if they decided not to practice your religion? If so you probably shouldn’t be a parent. That’s just my personal opinion but to answer the question don’t expect a two-year-old to sit through a service. It’s basically torture for a child. and in turn it will make them hate the religion from personal experience I can tell you that’s true. I was taken to church as a child and now you couldn’t pay me enough to take my children there or sit through a service. I have spirituality but I don’t I think it’s necessary to drag a child to church.

3 Likes

Bribery or just don’t even go. I took mine to a funeral because my mom needed a ride and the only people who could babysit were attending the funeral! It was a bad decision and probably the most embarrassing part of having a toddler so far! :tired_face::open_mouth::laughing:

My son is 2 and is the same way. I bring books, coloring books and tons of snacks. He still has a hard time sitting still. Our church is very, very, very small (theres only like 10 short rows of pews) and there is no cry room. So we sit in the back on folding chairs where he can spread out his coloring books and move around. I keep special snacks hidden for if he gets too loud or for the parts that I think he really need to be quiet for. That usually is enough to keep him quiet for a few min bc he’s surprised for a special snack. I also try to point out different things for him to look at or listen for. We have bells and I’ve convinced him he has to sit really still and listen carefully so he can hear them. There are lots of times where we have skipped church bc he has either just fallen asleep a few min before we would need to leave or its a particularly rough day and I know taking him will be a complete nightmare for everyone. Give yourself and your child a break. We’ve all been there and if anyone isn’t understanding of how little ones can be at church then they need to listen more closely to the readings/preaching.
“Let the children come to me and do not prevent them; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”. Matthew 19:14

1 Like

God doesn’t mind your child being a child. For those who mumble under their breath all I can say is may God forgive you :pray:t2:

6 Likes