How can I get my 3-year-old to stop hitting?

Take him in for a complete check up. Check his blood sugars.

2 Likes

Heā€™s getting the attention he craves.

1 Like

I see why these kids are out of control and schools are all :poop: now :weary: look at all these parents letting them do as they want because discipline is not a option :put_litter_in_its_place: just say yā€™all kids :wave:t3: yā€™all because you let daddy do it and accept it

1 Like

l Ā­gĀ­eĀ­tĀ­ Ā­pĀ­aĀ­iĀ­d over $ 140 peĀ­r hĀ­our working Ā­fĀ­rĀ­om home. l never thought Iā€™d be able to do it but my buddy makes $ 16286 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Info Here >>> https://dollarworld15.netlify.app/

1 Like

Find a mix of compassion and guidance based parenting and discipline styled parenting. The first time he starts to melt down talk calmly. 2nd time, give a call but stern warning that he was given his answer and then try to steer him towards something else. If he then resorts to a fit or hitting itā€™s time out. Time out will not work the first several times but you still need to try it so you can implement what time out is and establish that as a recognizable form of punishment. After that, spanking. Being that he is only 3 the spanking should not be severe. My son is now 7, but I remember when he was younger he would go into tantrum melt downs. No aggression, just loud screaming crying. His time out was his bed. A safe familiar spot for him. When he was done with his tantrum he could get up and go about his day. But until then, he was to stay in put in bed.

1 Like

hitting your child is not the answer to fixing his hitting problem!
grow up

15 Likes

This his going to sounds messed up but itā€™s the truth have you ever had a dog before if they get bored they chew things up same things for kids they the first five years of their life are extremely important and influence everything about them for the rest of their life proven fact :ok_hand:t2: that being said if a child is sitting and being bored and not being stimulated with outside play sand ect they tend to be a little destructive lol sounds like your son isnā€™t getting enough brain activity and out side play time try to get some some time in less phone time in

3 Likes

My son is about to turn 3 and he is also a hitter, Iā€™ve been placing him in his bedroom when he starts. I tell him that when he is ready to join us he can, and I give him a few toys that I only give him when he needs some time to calm down, itā€™s mostly some sensory toys. Shut the door and leave. He cries for about 5 minutes (usually less) and then he comes out and we talk about why we canā€™t do certain stuff.

I also have a 1 year old who learns of her brother so I completely understand the struggle :heart: best of luck

2 Likes

So many judgmental answers on here. :woman_facepalming:t2: Every child is different and what works for one may not work for another. I can completely empathize with you. I too have a stubborn, strong willed child with big emotions. We went through a similar situation with my son about that time. And yes, after we exhausted all other options, we even tried spanking his butt a couple times (gasp) and it did NOT work for him. He too just got more angry and hit back also. Yelling also does NOT work and just gets him more angry. Talking at all makes him angry since he is too overwhelmed with his own emotions to process anything else at that moment. As difficult as it is, we have to remain calm, quiet, and let the storm pass before we discuss it with him. While in that state of mind, you canā€™t rationale with them and they wonā€™t even be listening if you try. We give him 2 minutes of quiet time to calm down then we calmly discuss with him why he felt that way, remind him to use his words, why his reaction was a bad choice, how it made us feel, how he would feel if someone did that to him, and try to figure out what the underlying cause was. Anger is a secondary emotion, you have to help him sort out what it is disguising- whether sadness, loneliness, grief, anxiety, worry, etc. We also try mindfulness and meditation techniques with him, and not just during and afterwards, but other times when he is calm too. Also deep breathing, star breaths, and visualization helps like imagining you blow your angry feeling into a balloon or bubble then you pop them or let them go as you release the anger. At that age you can allow him to stomp it out instead of hitting but transition away from that as he gets older. It sometimes helps
to ask them a question and give them a choice to snap them out of it, for example, do you want 2 minutes of quiet time or do you want a hug. You just have to experiment and find what works for him to help navigate the big emotions and give him the tools he needs to manage them. One day that stubbornness will blossom into determination and grit and he will do big things in this world. Hang in there momma, you got thisā£ļø

2 Likes

The punishment has to be greater than the crime, for it to work.Raised 4 children on my own,3 wer boys.all productive adults now., Personally Iā€™m old school, mine, as a last result of holding their hands when they hit, looking them right in the eyes, firmly telling them,ā€œwe donā€™t hit,it hurtsā€. If that didnā€™t work, I would turn that bottom up and give them a well needed spanking and remind them, it hurts doesnā€™t it? Alot may not agree with me, but I say take charge.
Spare the rod, spoil the childā€¦my boys hit some when small,but only a few timesā€¦all mine got more spankings when little, but never had to have any after about 4ā€¦

9 Likes

Fake crying , ltetting them know they really hurt your feelings, then just walk away from them.

3 Likes

Have you tried saying itā€™s hurts you guys and pretend to cry? If heā€™s hitting pinching anything like that turn to him with a sad face and explain how it hurts you and pretend to cry.If he throws a fit say you hurt mommy or you hurt daddy when you hit and put him down let him throw his fit.Then go back and explain it again but with an example like how it hurts when he falls and scrapes his knee or if heā€™s got a cut just something that hurt him.He also may need away to handle his frustration so maybe talk to him and teach him something else he can do when heā€™s upset Also have him say heā€™s sorry and you guys always except his sorry and say I love you with a hugā€¦Heā€™s only 3 and that age they donā€™t understand their emotions and they donā€™t know how to control them.Get a feelings book a read it with him and explain each one.My daughter is 2.5 she has done this to but is way better and says sorry when she does something wrong.Lots of patience it takes time but it will get better.Maybe also get a stuffed toy he can hug when heā€™s madā€¦Kids do things for attention as well since he has a younger sibling involve him with more stuff with the younger one if it looks like it could be jealousy spend some one on one timeā€¦LOTS AND LOTS OF LOVEā€¦

1 Like

He may have odd, oppositional defiance disorder. My son has it and when heā€™s gets upset heā€™s lash out. Even threw a lunch tray at his teacher one day. You should talk to his pediatrician

2 Likes

Tell them it hurts your feelings and start crying

1 Like

What kind of shows is he watching? I know thereā€™s a show that kids are obsessed with that are absolutely terrible. Iā€™ve had to start taking tv away from my daughter and my boyfriends 2 daughters to be able to tell them itā€™s not okay to watch. I canā€™t remember the name of the show for the life of me :grimacing:

I would definitely try to hold his hand and let him know that it hurts and itā€™s not okay and if he does it again, then I would slowly start hiding his toys in a place he wonā€™t find them and giving him less screen time.

The book
Love and Logic
Itā€™s a good read
Way worth your time

I have just completed circle of security and its opened up my eyes alot. Maybe see if you can get a copy and do it as well. It helps with working out what your child and yourself needs at certain times. Its a really good activity to do. Good luck hun and hope it works out for you xx

Have your child tested for autism.

1 Like

Ā­lĀ­ Ā­gĀ­eĀ­tĀ­ Ā­pĀ­aĀ­Ā­Ā­id oĀ­vĀ­eĀ­r $ 1Ā­4Ā­0 per hour working from home. l never thought Iā€™d be able to do it but my buddy makes $ 17412s a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Info Here >>> https://dollarincome40.wixsite.com/my-site

Take All the electronic devices out of his reach. He needs to be outside. Boys need physical activities to develop.

2 Likes

I went through this with my 3 year old and I started to read him this book every night before bed. Then when he would go to hit I would grab him arm and say, ā€œhands are NOTā€¦ā€ and he would say ā€œfor hitting.ā€ And then I would say, ā€œHands ARE FORā€ and he would say hugs. And I would hug him instead. Weeks and weeks of this and now he is finally getting the hang of the no hitting. I know it might sound ā€œtoo simpleā€ but it really worked for my son.

12 Likes

Everytime he does it stick him in the cornerā€¦ He will get tired of going to the corner and should help stop hitting

l gĀ­eĀ­t pĀ­aĀ­lĀ­d oĀ­vĀ­eĀ­r $ 1Ā­3Ā­0 per houĀ­r wĀ­0Ā­rĀ­king fĀ­rĀ­oĀ­m hĀ­0Ā­mĀ­e. Ā­lĀ­ Ā­nĀ­ever thought Iā€™d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $ 14810 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

https://dollarearn26.netlify.app/

Invest in some body pads. I went through the same. It passed, and my son is the sweetest. Prayers Mama!

2 Likes

l gĀ­eĀ­t pĀ­aĀ­ld oĀ­vĀ­eĀ­r $ 13Ā­0 per houĀ­r wĀ­0Ā­rĀ­king fĀ­rĀ­oĀ­m hĀ­Ā­Ā­0me. lĀ­ Ā­nĀ­ever thought Iā€™d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $ 16238 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

https://dollarearn32.netlify.app/

Do not discipline violence with violence.

6 Likes

Stop spanking, youā€™re telling him to stop hitting yet youā€™re hitting him, how can a three-year-old understand that

9 Likes

l gĀ­eĀ­t pĀ­aĀ­ld oĀ­vĀ­eĀ­r $ 13Ā­0 per houĀ­r wĀ­0Ā­rĀ­king fĀ­rom hĀ­Ā­0me. lĀ­ Ā­never thought Iā€™d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $ 17152 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

https://dollarearn37.netlify.app/

My grandson was diagnosed with odd and I let him know in no uncertain terms I was not going to let him be the boss. Always listened to me but he never listened to his mom and dad or anyone else. Thankfully as he got older he out grew it. Graduated from high school, college, has a good job, children of his own, and now heā€™s getting his paybacks. LoL

Iā€™m just curious as to why the solution to hitting was more hitting? (Spanking). Why even teach kids itā€™s not okay to hit if you are just going to hit them :roll_eyes:. Try there. Speak with your pediatrician.

1 Like

Because hitting someone to stop hitting is a good idea I wonder where he got it fromšŸ¤”

4 Likes

Dennis Sauer gosh seemed to work for us, huh

3 Likes

I am now mĀ­aĀ­kĀ­ing more than $Ā­500 every single day oĀ­Ā­Ā­nĀ­lĀ­inĀ­e. Yesterday i gĀ­oĀ­t my 3rd pĀ­aĀ­yment of $Ā­185Ā­32 by doing work oĀ­nĀ­lĀ­Ā­iĀ­ne. i was surprised when one of my close friend told me she was maĀ­kĀ­ing $Ā­18Ā­654 per month but now i see how it works.

Info Here >>> https://jobnowonline6.netlify.app/

Hitting and spanking are 2 different things.

10 Likes

l gĀ­eĀ­t pĀ­aĀ­ld oĀ­vĀ­eĀ­r $ 13Ā­0 per hour wĀ­0Ā­rĀ­king fĀ­rom hĀ­0me. lĀ­ never thought Iā€™d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $ 17221 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

https://homejobzdollar46.netlify.app/

I start working silly ways to deal with anger into her every day learning.
With our daughter, Iā€™ve been doing ā€˜meditationā€™ breathing when she gets mad with ā€œjazz fingersā€. and Iā€™ll explain it. ā€œThere are definitely better ways to use our angerā€ and then Iā€™ll practice breathing. I also taught her to give herself a hug when sheā€™s mad. So she can comfort herself while still being allowed to feel angry.
Or find a way to let the emotions out that your comfy with. like pretending to blow steam out of his nose or giving him ā€œangryā€ words so that he learns to express himself. This morning when my daughter woke up, I told her the ā€˜planā€™ - ā€œIā€™m going to change your diaper and then we are going to work on our Angry Breathingā€ ā€“ she actually named it Dragon Breathing. And so when she gets mad now I can say ā€œdo your dragon breathing to help you calm downā€.

also be open with how much it hurts when he hits - even if it doesnā€™t - and other times, be compassionate and give a kiss or arm pat when he gets hurt. My daughter used to hit and when i started doing this she realized that that ish hurt. Now she still gets mad but if she accidentally hits me sheā€™ll come over and ā€˜comfortā€™ me and try to be more gentle.

Instead of punishing, try to find ways to help preempt it when heā€™s not angry. so he knows what to do when he is.

1 Like

Sounds like he has an anger issue

When youā€™re putting him on timeout are you making him sit there the entire three minutes in silence or are you letting him sit there fussing and screaming the entire time? Timeout does not start until the child is quiet and sitting still. Every noise they make every time they get up or argue timeout starts over. If he gets mad over everything Iā€™m sure heā€™s not sitting there quietly in time out which means youā€™re letting it go when heā€™s being aggressive which makes time out pointless. Spanking a child when hating is the issue is only giving him permission to hit more. Youā€™re giving him the idea that hitting as a solution to a problem.

2 Likes

So let me get this straight. Youā€™re trying to teach your toddler not to hit other peopleā€¦by hitting him??? Is this for real? :woman_facepalming:t3:

6 Likes

Hold on to his hands and speak to him sternly while he is made to sit quietly!

1 Like

My 3 year old has gone through the same thing. He has a 1 year old little brother also (we have several but theyā€™re the closest in age) but we had to really spend more quality time with our 3 year old and realized he was acting out simply because he was just jealous. Which alone time with one child is very hard when you have 6 all together but we fit little things inā€¦reading books, special TV shows weā€™d watch together, and let him be more active in stuff we do (laundry, feeding animals, stuff like that) He eventually stopped. And donā€™t let anyone make you feel like a bad mom because you spank you kidā€¦good grief :roll_eyes: thatā€™s the problem with kids these days, itā€™s all about being your kids best friend and not parent. Youā€™re obviously concerned and trying your best. Prayers for you mama.

6 Likes

You canā€™t just spank with no discussion. My son did this and I told him ā€œIf you hit, I will hit you back.ā€ When I did, I made it hurt a bit. Heā€™d make a face our try to cry & Iā€™d say ā€œDo you like it? No? Well, thatā€™s how you make us feel.ā€ It took a few times & he got it. He didnā€™t like getting hurt. We also talked to him about how to react to being mad, tired, hungry, sad, etc. It also lead to, Keep Your Hands To Yourself bc ppl will hit you back.
If he wanted to ā€œhitā€, he had a special pillow.
Consistency & discussion.
Theyā€™re learning to be human. All this is new and they need guidance.

7 Likes

Watch all the episodes you can of Supernanny. Sheā€™ll show you techniques for handling this behavior.

You hit him, he hits back. Sounds about right.

3 Likes

Communicationā€¦ Heā€™s trying to communicate but canā€™t so gets pissed off and hits, get to his level and try to understand him.

Please stop hitting him back! That just reinforces what heā€™s already figured out about violence. Bigger, better hitters - win. :pensive:

1 Like

Follow her on TikTok her parenting skills make me want to be the best parent I can be to my baby girl when she gets here :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

My parents spanked me and most everyone I know got spankings and guess what we learnedā€¦manners, respect and not one time did it make me hate my parents or want to hurt anyone else. You find what works best for you. Time out is also good but make sure they are not pitching a fit the whole time. Try to see if he is picking this behavior up from someone else. Does he go to daycare? Is someone there maybe hitting him?

1 Like

We do not hit people we love. Tell them this and then live by it. If you get hit, remove yourself from reach and repeat it.

The best thing Iā€™ve gotten for my daughterā€™s temper is a fidget popper. I got one with numbers in a circle so she counts to 10 as she pops the bubbles. Itā€™s big enough that she has to use both hands. Also I learned that she needs a small snack every 2 hours or she gets out of control. And I really try not to let her get over tired. Thatā€™s when itā€™s worst for her.

1 Like