How can I get my 4-year-old to not need me at bedtime?

We have just recently moved and I’ve gotten her to sleep all night with a sound machine and nightlight. Previously she slept with me so there’s been much improvement. I get up tip toe to the door and the door creaks wakes up and it’s like starting all over again.

3 Likes

My 4 year old is still sleeping with me in my bed, tbh I’m not ready for her to leave my bed never mind her not being ready haha but I am dreading the day she will need to start sleeping in her own room at njght:(, she still wakes up in the night she always has bad nightmares so she wakes up panicking and she climbs the walls while she’s still asleep she falls out of my bed too so scares me putting her in her own bed in her own bedroom-_-xxx

2 Likes

Night light will be key. But no real advice since I have the exactly opposite issue.

1 Like

I caved and let my kids watch one movie at bedtime :woman_shrugging:

It helped my 3 year old knowing that if he wakes up scares hes allowed to come crawl into bed with mommy and daddy but that it was important to start the night in his bed. We leave our door open for him and he maybe only comes into bed with us once a week

3 Likes

Maybe try a fan, not a ceiling fan like a box fan

I’m happy coming here today to appreciate the good work of Dr Nathan Spell caster For saving my lost relationship I never believe there will Be a way To get my lover back but Dr Nathan saved my relationship through his-spell and after 24 hours my love I return to me and asked for forgiveness I’m very happy because I never thought There is A great man like this You can also reach him on his email address(Nathanayakasolutionhome@gmai. com) Or WhatsApp him on +2347019014544

My 4 year old daughter and I share a big room it’s just lovely, she is my youngest and my baby I’m not ready to let her go just yet even though we have 5 bedrooms :weary:

2 Likes

Let her sleep with you. She’s still little. Soon she want you around at all.

2 Likes

My 3 + 4year old still sleep with me. I love it! Makes me sad when she tries to sleep in her own room lol even their dad gets the boot so my babies can snuggle me🥰 they’re only little for so long

1 Like

Look up the supernanny technique for bedtime

2 Likes

You don’t. Your baby needs you. Slow down and take it all in. It won’t be like this for long.

2 Likes

You’ll miss it when it’s over. I have and 18, 11, and 3. So she’s allowed to sleep with me until the day she’s ready. I love it when she kicks the older ones out of our room…lol

1 Like

I feel a little better now knowing so many other moms let their babies sleep with them. My 8 year old has started getting very scared of the dark recently but will sleep in pitch black if hes in my room without any problems.

Oil the door hinges to start and give her one of your tshirts you wear or sleep with for a while then give it to her like a security blanket. I had this problem with my son when he was 3 I bought him a stuffed animal and then gave him a shirt I didn’t care for after I cuddled and wore it so it was like I was still there next to him .

2 Likes

Stop going in the room. Use a monitor

1 Like

Wd40 on the door hinge hopefully then it wont wake her up.hun xx

2 Likes

I say embrace it. That’s what I did. They will outgrow your arms way too fast so soak it in.

1 Like

Do not speak to her when she wakes up. Walk her back to bed, tuck her in and leave. Repeat as needed. But do not speak to her. It will take a couple days of her testing you but she will get the gist.

Try leaving the door open when you go in and out if you don’t want to risk the squeaking. Try getting her used to sleeping with it open.

None of my kids did this but my grandbabies do and i love it, they will out grow it and start doing it on their own but for now i say enjoy it before they get to big to enjoy

I lots of good recommendations already made. Leave the door open, fix the squeak, turn up the volume on the noise machine, or you might just invest in a baby monitor so you don’t have to go in to check on her. My daughter takes a while to get down. She always needs another sip of water or another hug or to go potty again but once she is asleep she sleeps like a rock.

I wish my kids still needed me at bedtime. Even my youngest who is now 4 has always been independent for bed. :sob:

I didn’t like the cry it out method but it was the only thing that worked for my oldest, my youngest goes right to sleep when I feed her and put her in the crib

Zquill makes a great, all natural melatonin based vitamin for little ones who have a hard time sleeping. I wouldn’t recommend anything that isn’t natural, but it works for my 4 year old grandson and it was recommended by his pediatrician.
Also, the door. Fix the squeak. Gets them every time.

:frowning: I love the fact that my boys (5 &6) still need their momma to lay, read, pray and cuddle to fall asleep. Im dreading the day they dont want me… Time flies :frowning:

Oil the door before you try anything else.
Make sleeping in her bed exciting for her.
Make a routine, book then cuddle then sleep or something similar.
Get her a nightlight

1 Like

My 5 year old sleeps with me most nights and sometimes my 9 year old does too they are only babies once let her stay in with u x

Mom of twin four yr olds here. GOOGLE SLEEP TRAINING.

How do u cosleepers do it? I have a 15yr old and twin 4 yr olds that have never slept overnight in my bed with me. They have their own room and bed for a reason.

Maybe try waiting an extra 5-10 mins?

Get a king size and let her sleep with you unless you just don’t want her to. In that case, get a few night lights for her room and the hallways. She’s probably just afraid of the dark

What you need to do is create a bedtime routine. Bath, stories and then lay down to go to sleep. You should not be staying with her until she has fallen asleep. She needs to learn to put herself to sleep. After you read the bedtime story give her a kiss, tuck her in and leave the room. Tell her she is to stay in bed and go to sleep. If she gets up take her back to her bed with no discussion. You might need to repeat this several times. You could sit outside her door where she can’t see you so she doesn’t get very far when she gets up. It will take sometime but eventually she will start going to sleep on her own.