How can I get my 6 year old to sleep in her own room?

Enjoy itv while you can. If you feel you want her in her own room, go lay with her until she falls asleep.

Ooih!! My two six year olds were sleeping holding my hand too,for almost 4 years. This year i had a serious talk to them abiut holding their hands in bed,they stopped fussing. But once in a while they request for .y hand to hold thrm. Its a phase it will go away.

It doesn’t last forever enjoy one day she will go to her room

Put her in her room and keep doing it any time she comes to yours.

Have you tried a weighted blanket?

Enjoy it. They grow up fast.

3 Likes

From a child’s point of view, mummy and daddy get to share, why can’t I ? :joy:

She will when she’s ready

1 Like

I just figured my daughter would be sleeping with me until she’s about 15 :woman_shrugging:t2::joy::heart:

1 Like

Girl I legit just got my 4 year old out of my room and I still got a 3 year old and 2 year old to go :joy: fml

I never had that problem. .

Into bed , read story , tuck in good night no holding hands any more if she gets up take her back put her back into bed and off you go keep repeating this no other communication take her back to bed keep repeating this and it should only take a week .

My kids are all old enough that they sleep in their own rooms. My youngest is 10. However, I miss this so much. Not going to lie.

At that age mine was still sleeping with me. I was expecting another baby and she was going to school so we had to stop. Sounds kinda harsh, but I explained it to her and just told her to sleep in her bed from then on. She cried and whined for maybe 3 nights then was over it. It wasn’t that hard because at least at that age u can communicate with words.

1 Like

It’s a hard transition for children at that age!! Once they fall asleep just try putting them in their bed!!! It really is hard!!! Good luck

Bad habits like that are hard to break. When mine was 1 they went to their own room and never allowed to sleep in my bed. Good luck breaking that habit

Try looking up the goodnight worry programme it has helped us! X

Bribery is what worked for us😂

One of the best decision I ever made was contacting Dr.
Anetor to help me get my
lover back, l was life filled with happiness after I contacted Dr. Anetor because he didn’t just
bring my lover back to me he
also made our love for each other more unique and superb.
If you need to spice your relationship with more love and romance contact Dr.
ANETOR Email
[email protected]
Or you can also contact him on
facebook’ page

A new bedtime buddy but she’s only allowed it when she’s in her own room. Hold her hand in bed still, let her pick out a new nightlight so she feels involved, may make her more comfortable x

Hold the child’s hand until she falls asleep in her bed. Make it a familiar setting first

I would go in to my sons room and lay down beside them until they went to sleep. Although there was several times that I fell asleep before they did. I would wake up several hours later to a pillow under my head and all covered up. They wanted me to be comfortable :heart:

1 Like

I know we all want to hang on to every precious moment but it’s also important to teach ur child to self soothe and to fall asleep on their own. Its like learning to walk you want to carry them because they still need u but u teach them to walk.

3 Likes

Education is key. Cosleeping is natural and normal. Most adults don’t sleep alone yet we force babies and children to. Sleeping near loved ones is healthier and natural. Cio is a cruel practice.

1 Like

Maybe try holding her hand in her room until she falls asleep but let her know that once it’s bedtime she doesn’t get up unless she needs to potty. Mine are 7-14 and I sometimes miss them needing me that way. It doesn’t last forever. One of these days the cuddles will be few and far between and she’ll be “too cool” for mommy snuggles. :slight_smile: Find the balance so you can soak it up a little longer.

2 Likes

Put her bed in her room and do the same things you do now. She apparently feels safer falling asleep holding your hand, so continue that but in her room. My daughter is 9 and didn’t start going ro sleep in her own room without me until she was 8, before that we had to read in her bed.

3 Likes

I never listened to other Drs or parents when it came to co sleeping. I have always did what felt natural. I have 3 children 20, 11 & 15 months old. All 3 of them slept with me until they were ready to sleep on their own. This happened for me when they were about 4. You have your children for such a short amount of time. One day you’ll wake up to no kids in the house. And those few short years you allowed them to sleep with you will be cherished. That’s my take.

2 Likes

Started putting my foot down last year when mine was 5. First, we redecorated his room in the theme of his choice (paw patrol) and let him help to make him excited about it. I slept with him in his bed a couple nights and then just started sneaking out earlier and earlier. Now, a year later, I still have to lay with him until he dozes off, but that’s it. And he sleeps through the night about 4-5 nights a week, so I consider it a win. Just takes some patience and persistence on your part. You can do it!

3 Likes

Put her bed in her room. Buy her or have her pick her favorite stuffed “friend” that needs her help to get to sleep. Give her a small flashlight and a small spray bottle to spray away anything that might bother (don’t say “scare” say bother) her “friend”. Works. Every. Time.

Let her do it until she doesn’t want to anymore. They all grow out of it eventually and you will look back and wish you did.

1 Like

Get her a dog that can be taught to sleep with her in her room.

2 Likes

Life is short, sleep with them! They are your babies and all they want is to feel safe. I did it with my momma, and hung on to her apron so she couldn’t get away.

3 Likes

You put her in her bed. You keep putting her in her bed and tell her she is a big girl and she is now going to be sleeping in her own bed. Will it be easy? No. But you will win, because you will continue to return her to her bed. Do not sleep with her in her bed, that will defeat the purpose. You got this momma.

3 Likes

I laid with both my kids in their room until they fell asleep. Eventually I would tell them I can’t cuddle tonight. Sometimes they came in in the middle of the night. But eventually they stayed in their own beds

1 Like

I’d always go to sleep and end up tripping over my son to go to the bathroom. He’d sneak down in the middle of the night to just be close. It will pass. I knew he wouldn’t do it forever. And now I miss that he did.

My daughter did that, it ended up being night terrors. She was so nervous of sleeping alone she scratched and rubbed her upper lip and skin above lip raw. May not be ideal but until she worked through it she slept in a cot beside our bed.

2 Likes

Enjoy,she’s in her own bed so she’s not disrupting your sleep, she won’t want to hold your hand someday.

I am a mother of 6. My 11 year old daughter sleeps in my bed holding my hand. My husband and I dread the day she wants to sleep in her own room. The time will come when you beg your child to spend a little time with you. It all goes by much too quickly. Enjoy your child now. Don’t be in such a hurry for him to grow up.

4 Likes

These days pass too quickly and will be dearly missed. Treasure the sweet moments. She feels safer and at peace near you… what could be more precious.

4 Likes

Put her to bed,read a story and say you have to stay in your bed.

1 Like

Not to be a jerk but my daughter was a baby not even 2, she wouldn’t sleep in her room, if she did, I would have to be in there with her. We found out later that there was a spirit in her room. Seriously. We had her room saged and blessed with holy water. He wasn’t a bad spirit, just a former resident waiting for his grandson to pass. Once we got word of his passing he was gone too. Worth a shot to have your house blessed or saged.

Let her know, if she wants to sleep in your room, she’ll have to sleep on a makeshift pallet on your bedroom floor, bed is off limits, at least try, I did about 20 years ago it worked ( suggestion from Dr. Phil). :blush:

1 Like

My grandson is 7 and still sleeps with me every single night. I totally agree with Bill Biggs. Sooner or later they won’t want to sleep with you.

Both of my kids ( age 27 and 30)

My kids have always slept in their own rooms. Only some nights they would crawl up in bed with me then we would carry them to their own rooms when they fell asleep…

3 Likes

When my daughter was born, my wife was trying to justify her sleeping in our room. I was not having it. It took about 2 weeks of fussing in her crib before she slept alone and for 5-6 hours a night in her own crib. If you don’t want to break a bad habit, don’t let it become the norm in the first place.

2 Likes

And I say enjoy it for as long as you can!

9 Likes

She needs that comfort. You don’t sleep alone. Expecting a young child to sleep in a dark, scary room alone may be too much (depending on the child). Enjoy her while she’s small & still wants her mommy. :heart:

Umm she’s 6. You just tell her. She’s old enough to understand. Just enforce it

2 Likes

Let her pick out her room, if possible. New bedding, led lights, etc. and talk it up for like a week. On a Saturday evening, set it all up, and be super excited about it.

Talk about how cool her new space is, and how she’s such a big girl. See how it goes.

You could also fill a mitten with something for her to “hold” if she gets scared in her big kid room.

People can call me soft, but life is hard enough. :woman_shrugging:t3:

Not to be harsh, but I don’t understand the point of co-sleeping even beginning with the newborn stage and knowing how dangerous it is to when the child becomes completely attached at an older age.

I babysat for a couple that did that with all 3 of their girls and ten years later they never had their own bed to themselves.

All I can say is good luck and there will be heartbreak on you and your 6 year old.

I never coslept ever unless he was sick or scared. I just don’t see why parents still do that.

I have no idea. I hope you find a way. I was so scared of this happening to me that when he was about 7 months I transitioned him to his own room. I got him a really cool night light that projects different colored starts and has a ton of different melodies to play all throughout the night. Maybe take her to get all new stuff for her room like bedding, pillows and a night light. Then have like a little party for her in her room. I’ve heard that’s helped some children

Put her in her bed , read a story, put on soft lullaby music.

Lol. This post makes me feel some type of way! Maybe I’m just crazy but all 3 of my boys slept in their own room/crib/bed once they started sleeping all night which was about 3 months old. Lol. Of course I had the monitors so I could hear them.
However, my stepdaughter was 3 when I met her. At first we had her toddler bed beside ours. Once she was too big for the toddler bed, about 4 1/2, we bought a bunk bed for her and she was then in her own room. She’s never had a problem with it.

I’d say soak it up. My daughter slept with us (to the dismay and judgment of others) in a blanket fort in our room until 8 yrs.
But totally get what you’re all saying, I think it’s to each their own, and depends on the child.

As a child who was so darned afraid of sleeping alone, it sucked! When I finally did stay in my own bed, the bed was full of stuffed animals to protect me. :no_mouth:

I only had my kids in my room for the first month after they were born. In a basinette. Then they went into a crib in their own room. They both sleep on their own

Mines had her own room since she was 6 weeks (right beside ours but her dad getting home from work at 12 am would wake her and she’d have trouble going back down when she was in ours) but I think the advice may still be helpful. We stayed the first few nights in there until she fell asleep, then we would shorten the amount of time we were in there and do the 5/10/20 min check on if she continued to fuss after we left. She’s older though so you may not have to do that. But I’d let her know your right near if needed, set up her room so she’s comfy (my daughter’s 2 and a bit now, she’s had a toddler bed since she was around 1 because she started climbing out of the really tall crib and i was worried shed hurt herself) she has a favourite stuffy who I tuck in with her and we all read bedtime stories together and then they have a sleep, she will not sleep without the stuffy at this point but I find it easier than me accidentally waking her in my room all night. Also music is a life saver if you put lulabys on in their room if they do wake up its soothing for them

That struggle is hard on this one for real been there my self multiple times !! I feel like you are going to get alot of answers !!! I personally feel you know what’s best Deep down you know her better then any one and your heart will guide you In The right direction on what to do !!! All my kids were different and all needed different things !!!

So from the start my son (who will be three in July) has never slept in a room separate from me. In fact him and I sleep in his room while daddy sleeps in the master. We believe that when our son is ready he will sleep independently. Dad and son have a wonderful bond BUT my son will no way in hell even let dad put him “night night” as we call it. It’s all me. We are waiting until he shows understanding that “big boys” sleep by themselves. It could be until he is 6, or sooner or later. However, we don’t care how long it takes. He went through a terrible separation anxiety phase from me starting around 15months old because I am a SAHM. He is over that in general other than bed time. Kids may understand a lot yes but it is no different what they are feeling about sleeping alone than how I feel when my husband leaves for work each day. A part of my brain worries (as it’s human nature) will he make it safe, will he be safe at work, will he make it home safe? It is no different than what our son feels. Where is mama? It is dark (we leave his closet light on) but in his mind he doesn’t understand like I do that 99.99% of the time mama is just down the hall like daddy is going to make it home at the end of the day. If it is becoming a problem for your mental or marriage health I’d try moving your daughter to the next closest room which for us would be the living room. A slow transition, leaving the bedroom door to y’all’s room open. Kids learn from experience but it has to be healthy. They also appreciate and become more confident from healthier experiences like a slow transition vs. “do it this way now”. You can make it fun and set her a place on the couch with a night light and stuff. Reinforce to her you’re right there where you have always been in your bed but that she is growing up and “the big girl bedtime fairy” wants to bring her something. Yeah they are only little for a little while but by no means is a child ready to be rushed into something or forced into something when they aren’t comfortable. We all experience fears and anxiety triggers but our children can’t control their fears or triggers unless they feel security at the end of each situation. I still can’t manage a dental visit on my own. I’ll cry all day off and on. Even when my husband goes with me I am still freaked out but a little more at ease. The difference between me and my child is though I know it is all in my head my child does not.

Yikes you waited a little to long. Shes completely used to that now. I woulda started at least around 2

My dad only let me in his room if I had a bad dream, otherwise he told me his room was off limits (I was a good kid so I always respected that) I remember I had a bad dream and asked to stay in his room but by then I was 6 and instead of me sleeping in his room he told me that I would be okay and that it was just a dream and he would comfort me until I was ready to go to bed again and what helped me was that he was consistent on just comforting me and didn’t give in to me sleeping with him. I wish I could help more, but mine is only 6 months haha so I have no other advise except what my dad did when I was that age. Good luck!

For our daughters 7th birthday we let her design her bedroom so she would LOVE it. It’s pink walls, unicorns and stars everywhere. She loves it! If she sleeps in her bed all week we let her sleep in our bed one night a week. Going on two months and she’s been in our bed 4 times (some weeks it’s so good we don’t remind her she can sleep with us!) ! It’s been nice! I hope you find that sweet spot with your little man; I know I’m happy we have our bedroom back!:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

U don’t. You’ll wish in about 30 years u would have let her.

I just put my kiddo in her own room and let her cry it out. She’s also only going on 3. She now sleeps fine after a week of restlessness and crying. It will be hard but really it’s the only way to get it done.

You put her back and make her stay in there

Just do it slowly. Some kids need a little extra help falling asleep. Heck, as an adult I sometimes struggle without my husband to fall asleep. Lots of reaffirming, lots of love, still sit beside her and hold her hand as she falls asleep. It feels long, but I promise they do become independent and don’t need us anymore. You’re doing great :yellow_heart:

Should have never gotten it started. Ya put your foot down from the get go. Good luck with this one.

You did it. Shows how stupid people are today.

My kids have ALL slept in our bed. Even if they start out in their bed, with one of us laying with them, of course… they eventually ended up in our bed anyway… so we just went with it. Makes them feel safe, and let’s be honest… we ALL sleep better!! :heart: We are down to the last one that comes in now, and he is 10. It goes so fast. Hang on to every lil cuddle.

We created a night fairy. We purchased a fairy statue and put it up high in her room. If she slept in her own room for the whole night, night fairy would leave a little something. Little I mean a sticker or lollie. Once we had her sleeping in her own bed :sleeping_bed: the night fairy left to help other children sleep in their beds.

1 Like

My girl is five soon to be six…she’s always slept with me…had a room made up for her and she eventually decided she was sleeping on her on😂 sux for me😭

When she’s 15 you’ll miss that. She won’t be in your room forever. Just let her hold your hand.

I’m afraid I can’t help you. Our oldest loved her big girl bed and her own room. Then our kids always had to share a room so were never alone. None of our children ever shared a bed with us.

2 Likes

Parenting is hard but it seems you’re trying to fix something that isn’t a problem. Your child wants to be near you. Celebrate it. It all goes so quickly.:two_hearts:

7 Likes

Being consistent is key, put her to bed in HER own bed each and every night before you go to bed. If you have too, sit with her till she drifts off. Once you’re in bed, if she climbs in your bed with you. Gently take her back to her own bed. Don’t waver. If you give in even once, she’s going to take that and run with it.
May take a couple nights, May take a couple weeks.
Either way, be consistent.
Maybe add something like white noise for her. My kids like the sound of rain. So I play rain sounds off YouTube each night for them(I have 4 kids).

2 Likes

put her in her room. explain to her that is her room and where she sleeps. keep putting her back in there. walk away. Sucks but teaching moment. was super hard for me, but it worked.

1 Like

Make a special night time routine.

And let her pick out brand new soft sheets for her big girl bed.

And remember that she is 6 and understands more than you’d like to think. So just say that you will all sleep better if she uses her own bed.

And stick to it. I promise, it will get better.

1 Like

I suggest, having her lay in her bed and you can hold her hand, but not laying with her. Have a comfy chair you can sit in next to her bed. It may take a while, but eventually she will fall asleep on her own. My mom had to do this with my sister. She didn’t have to hold her hand but she had to sit in her room until she fell asleep. My sister slept in my moms bed until she was at least 5. It took some time but she eventually was okay with going to sleep alone.

I tell my 4 and 5 year old a bedtime story and give them lots of hugs and kisses before bed. I also commend them for sleeping by themselves and tell them how proud I am that they going to bed by themselves. It’s been working very well. They love the positive compliments. There are some days that they creep out of bed and that’s okay too. :hugs:

I would suggest you enjoy it while you can I know it seems like she should be grown up enough to sleep away from you but trust me she will get there soon enough and leave home sooner than you want and then all the praying in the world won’t make that little worry go away no matter how much you give them to the Lord you wonder may be a better word than worry if they are really ok

I lied down in my kids rooms till they were asleep

It’s security they will stop when ready soon you’ll be begging for that

When you find out let me know :rofl: #6 #mamasboy

Decorate her room pretty like she want it

If it doesn’t bother you she will transition on her own.

Enjoy the little things

Well give me y’all secret because my 9 years old still bangs down my door like d police, when I slip away to go sleep with my husband. He hugs me very tight so I won’t slip out. Problem is my husband opens da door. Then complains that he was kicked out or kicked upon.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with it. My daughter slept with me till she was about 8. She would come crawling in my bed in the middle of the night. If it made her feel comfortable that’s all that mattered to me. She is now 30yrs old and a Awesome woman.:heart:

Get her a 6 year old boy friend

Move her bed to the new room? :woman_shrugging:t3:sorted

Go to sleep in her room.

You just add to the habit, by letting her do her thing. You need to be firm, and put her back in her room, and bed.

Let her ‘decorate’ her own room with anything she wants. Let her make it her own space. Even if it’s just teddies and dolls or photos/pictures and little battery run pretty lights everywhere. Let her choose where she wants her bed and let her pick her own bedding. Even if it looks like a mess to you to her it will be her own little princess palace. By letting her make her room how she wants she may be more willing to sleep in there xx

u need a time machine lol u screwed up already

My kids slept in a bassinet in our room for the first 3 weeks. In their own rooms after that. No problems, no 5 year olds in our bed.

1 Like

My daughter sleep in our bed from the time she was less than a year old and stayed until she was 13 or 14 when she became a young lady and started sleeping in her own bed, she will sometimes during the day and take a nap with me , she is 17, driving, competition dancer, and of course Boys Enjoy it she has grown up and getting ready to graduate from high school and then on to college…WOW the years went by so fast !! Enjoy them I dread the day she turns 18 and she is a grown young lady and she can say bye mom & dad !! We will be alone!!!

My daughter was in her own room about six weeks old. At thirteen she would wake up and want to sleep with me. It was a no but I did make a place on the floor she could go back to sleep just not in my bed. You could try one of those toys that records sounds. You could do one of you asleep and then she gets her special toy to sleep with but still get the sounds of mommy sleeping. If she does come in pallet on the floor not mommy’s bed.

It wont last forever!

Lay with her in her room until she falls asleep and then get up

I see a lot of people saying let her stay… she’s here asking for advice to get her out lol. SO… just do it. Cold Turkey or gradually. Can start with one night, then every other. Maybe sit with her in her room until she falls asleep. Of course there will be nights she will come back in, comfort for them is a hard one to change. How long has she been cosleeping