How can I get my 8-year-old to tie his shoes?

Kids learn what they care about.

1 Like

Find YouTube videos of different techniques. Let him watch them. He will find a technique And it’ll just click

I would buy shoes without laces. That doesn’t teach him anything but avoid learning

2 Likes

I purchased this book for my kiddo who was struggling. He learned how to tie his shoe after an hr of practicing with the book.

How to Tie Your Shoes https://a.co/d/4sjGYz8

2 Likes

There’s shoelaces on a cardboard cutout U can get from Kmart, mine learnt on that in 1 day

1 Like

Don’t feel bad my son was 8 almost 9 when he learned. I didn’t think he could do it because he always had us do it. One night I sit him down and said we are going to learn to tie your shoes. It just clicked and he did it by himself. So he actually learned the two to three months before that when I worked with him. He also has ADHD and he developmental behind. He is 10 and refuses to learn to ride a bike. Has no interest whatsoever.

Honestly my 4 nephews are all ADHD they struggled and pretty sure younger 2 at 6& 7 still can’t. No judgment but they found it easiest to get their kids velcro shoes. It is a skill that some kids really struggle with and that is ok. Just buy velcro or slip on and get 1 pair of tie shoes. Do a timer 5 mins a day he needs to practice after watching a youtube video. That is how my now 13 yr old ADHD with minor tics was able to get it. I think he was 9 or 10.

2 Likes

My 6 year old still can’t ride a bike. Every kid develops differently. He will get the hang of it one day

1 Like

Not helpful but my son, 9, can’t tie his shoes. I know I should but I actually don’t even care right now. He has strechy laces in his shoes and everyone’s happy and calm. It was a big struggle for him to learn and fustrated us both so… Mehh does it really matter right now? He will get it eventually :person_shrugging:

6 Likes

My ADD son is 20 and has never mastered tying shoes… he can do SO much but has opted for slip ons or velcro because it’s so overwhelming for him. Lego masterpieces galore tho. Everyone learns different and acels in different ways. Be patient

2 Likes

Use a jump rope to show him!! Put it around your lap to show him what to do, then have him do the same with his. It is so much easier for kids to see what you are doing without your hands being in their way :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Albert Einstein never learned to tie his shoes. Just buy Velcro or the special laces that make shoes slip on. It’s not worth the fight.

6 Likes

Umm how about velcro shoes instead of making it an unnecessary daily fight​:person_shrugging::person_shrugging::person_shrugging:

7 Likes

Girl your doing better than I am. I can’t get my 7 almost 8 year old to even wear shoes. She has many disorders as well. She will only wear crocs! Lol! I would be happy if I could even get shoes on her feet! :laughing::sweat_smile::rofl::joy:

But him those cute boat shoes or a pair of sneaks where neither one of you have to worry about tying his shoes. He can just slide his feet in and go.

1 Like

Get him some velcro shoes. He’ll learn with quickness :rofl:

1 Like

Tell him the bunny ears story technique

1 Like

I taught all my kids and my cousin with adhd and autism with this technique

I still tie my shoes like this to this day :joy:

Answer: velcro. Is this a battle you even want to have ???

3 Likes

Instead of shoe laces that tie use hickies on his shoes and he can slip them on like loafers

1 Like

Velcro. It’s the wave of the future.

It took me awhile to tie my shoes as a kid with no diagnoses! I remember having my friend tie them for me in like 3rd grade. My 12 almost 13 year old girl half ass knows how to tie… I can’t decide if she’s just being lazy or what :thinking: hard to tell at that age lol my 5 year old has no interest in learning yet

I’m all for the bunny ears technique. I do it this way and I taught my ADHD Son this way too. He has turned 9 this year and still struggles at times but he can now do it himself. I wouldn’t put an age on it. He will get there.

There is a video we used to teach my son on you tube. It involves sticking the very ends into the top 2 holes so that the lopes are pre created. Worked great :slightly_smiling_face:

Get him shoes he doesn’t have to tie :ok_woman:

1 Like

There are elastic laces. Tie it once and slip it on.

l Get paid over $113 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $15741 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://DollarsBox502.pages.dev/

Hey dudes are good shows to just slip on

1 Like

Get him shoes that don’t require tying and don’t make an argument out of it. There are many styles available.

2 Likes

Stop doing it for him…ur letting him I herd u make a bunch of excuses why he cant so why would he he knows everyone else will do it for him because of the reasons u stated. Ur child can do anything any child can do so stop treating him like theres something wrong with him!

2 Likes

My son is autistic and we had the same issue but you know what really helped is I would have him practice tying them while the shoe is off and that way it was easier for him to learn how to do it and I would reward him when he would do it and then one day my kid just picked up his own shoes while they were on and tied them

My son is 11, and he shows no interest in it as well! His dad said he was the same way, so I just buy the shoes that have no laces…my guess is eventually he will!

1 Like

Theres a movie called rockadoodle… theres a song in the movie about tying your shoes… maybe if it’s fun for him or you make a.game of it he will be more interested…

1 Like

Go Velcro or ones without laces especially for school, as a parent even with kids with disabilities we have to pre-theme for the real world.
Which means working with our disability’s or our flaws and not letting it control our life’s.

2 Likes

You can try some elastic laces or curly ones, that way he won’t have to do it and won’t have to ask anyone in the house…. And he will get to point where he will learn later

2 Likes

There are tons of slip on options to choose from. My ADHD boy would not learn to tie his shoes either. I was tired of fighting over something that in the end is not that important. It made us both feel terrible. He likes this style of shoe best. DICK'S Sporting Goods - Official Site - Every Season Starts at DICK'S

1 Like

I recommend you consult someone with lots of experience if you’re new to stock trading, to avoid excess loss in the stock market, I lost my money in the past due to lack of experience and complete trading knowledge not until i started my investment under the management of an expert in this field where i now make residual income weekly .Contact Mrs Amelia Wilson

Pick your battles, but slip ons and leave it be lol

1 Like

My 12 yr old son is dyslexic and also has ADHD and he just recently learned how.

I wouldn’t force this my son couldn’t do until he finished p7!!:two_hearts::two_hearts::woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging:

Check out U-Lace No-Tie Sneaker Laces

1 Like

My sons are both Autistic,neither can tie their shoes. I bought them slip on tennis shoes.

My 13 year old son cannot tie his shoes either. I’ve taught him multiple times and his brain just does not retain that information. I should mention he also has ADHD and High functioning autism

When my son first started to learn to tie his shoes he struggled no matter how hard he tried. I figured out with him it was actually because most shoes come with laces that are the same color as the shoe and he was just having a hard time seeing what he was doing because it basically blended in with the shoe. I got him laces that were a different color so it stood out and he learned so much easier. Not sure if that’s a solution for you but I thought I’d put it out there just in case.

Watch a movie or a show and have him practice while watching the show. Take the shoe off and have it between his legs and let him practice that way!

I’d invest in some shoes that have velcro, straps or can be slipped on. I definitely wouldn’t be fighting over shoes everyday lol

1 Like

Buy him velcro shoes until he figures it out. My daughter’s Kindergarten teacher taught her how to tie her shoes because she’d always get super frustrated when we tried to teach her.