How can I get my cat to like my baby?

How can I get my cat to like my baby? anytime she even sees her or looks in her dirwection she hisses at her…i brought baby home a week ago and have had my cat for 4 years…will she get over this?

29 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How can I get my cat to like my baby?

They get over it. Don’t ignore her. I have 3 and they tolerate my 16 month old lol

1 Like

Jackson Galaxy probably has tips on this on his page.

1 Like

Give her time :heart: they get used to sweet babes. Probably be best friends

2 Likes

It’s a big change for kitty to. Give her some time to adjust.

4 Likes

Put some baby food meat on your baby’s cheek and let the cat lick it off

17 Likes

Make sure the cats getting attention daily…Strokes etc…It might take time but the cat will adjust…Also to help the cat with the adjustment maybe buy a feliway plug in

1 Like

I think it really just depends on the cat. Just like some dogs never get used to kids. Maybe let her sniff on some of babies used clothes or your hands after holding the baby.

1 Like

My friend’s cat of 10 years went psycho on him for like 30 min, scratched him up to shit. I don’t trust cats, especially hissing ones. Kitty would be finding a new home.

It’s only been a week give her time you’ve been waiting for this birth for 9months she didn’t even know it was coming.

2 Likes

It’s a cat. And it’s a baby. Two things that really won’t have any issues with each other for a while to come in the walking stages. Cat Will get over it eventually. Our cat kept trying to sit on our new baby lol. And you can start ASAP on teaching the baby to be gentle with animals. It’ll all work out

2 Likes

Cat is threatended by attention baby gets

The first couple of weeks…maybe even the first month, was like that when we brought our baby home. We have two cats and they didn’t appreciate this new creature who takes so much of mom’s time away from them lol. I just made sure to give them as much attention as I could, and never forced any interactions between them.
Our baby is 9 months old now. The cats still mostly want nothing to do with her, but every now and then when she’s being calm, one of them will come lay with us and let her pet them a little. I give them treats every time they’re nice to her. And now that she’s old enough to play with them a little bit, they’re starting to come around.
It just takes time and patience. Lots of reassurance from you that they’re still part of the family. And tons of love.
(I feel like it’s important to add that although they hissed in the beginning, neither of them have ever tried to bite or claw her. The worst either of them have ever done is try to use her as a stepstool lol. If they’d ever shown physical aggression toward her, I’d keep them far apart.)

It takes a min. My cat doesn’t hiss at the baby . She just smells him then runs. It’s been 2 weeks and she just started back sitting in the living room with us and last night she slept in the room with us.

Make sure you spend as much time with your cat as you can. If you are willing I would also take a blanket that smells like baby and give it to the cat as a bed or covering, somewhere they like but they can have privacy to get used to the scent.

They get over it. When you are holding the baby or feeding call the cat over and give her some pets. It takes time but they will be best buddies

O hope it doesn’t scratch up the baby’s face. Hissing means it feels threatened

1 Like

I really read this as “how can I get my cat to be like my baby?” :woman_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

Just leave her be. She’ll get used to baby eventually. Then when baby is a toddler the cat will likely not like her again for awhile lol

2 Likes

It takes time. Just make sure the cat gets enough of attention and love from you. Also make sure the cat isn’t left alone with the baby anytime soon.

Yes. Cats don’t like change, but will adjust. Give kitty some time.

18 mo later my cat has adjusted. He knows when he has had enough. He struggled for a while but has lightened up and avoids when he is overwhelmed. I’d say Diesel and the baby have a love hate but respected relationship. Kitty will adjust!

The cat is probably associating the baby with high pitched crying, which is often very shrill, and even more so to a cats ears. The cat will likely soon adapt to the new family member

Some cats do others don’t

1 Like

The cat will adjust. It will take time tho bc…cats…ya know. Just keep your eyes open. Don’t leave kitty and bebe in a room alone. Just the obvious things. Everyone, kitty included will get use to this new normal

1 Like

My baby is 5 months old and my 16 year old cat will still bite and claw at her for so much as existing in her presence

4 Likes

You can’t train a cat. She act like she wants. Maybe with though your cat will get use to your baby

1 Like

My cat was scared of mine. She eventually got over it and got used to her. This is them now

My cat lived in the garden for 6 weeks but then they became friends. Luckily it was summer and she had places to sleep

She’s jealous, try treats to cope with the adjustment. Just like kids need time to transition Animals do as well. But only give cat a treat when she’s near the baby to have her understand that it’s the behavior you’re rewarding or changing for good.

1 Like

He’s confused. My cats hissed, hid, didn’t want anything to do with baby. Eventually they became best friends.

It’s an adjustment. Your cat will come around. Give it time and just keep working at introducing them to one another.

Mine never did. We tried for a month and had to re-home the cat. She got more and more aggressive and angry.

Give it plenty of time and try not to rehome the cat without exhausting all efforts. Imagine the trauma to the cat if you did rehome it after 4 years. There are ways to get the cat adjusted with gentle coaching or you can designate an area of the home to the cat, away from the baby.
Did you introduce the baby to the cat? I have introduced all my children to the pets of the house as soon as we got home, even the Pitbull who is now like a second mum to my kids. It takes time but you will find a way to have them both in the same home safely.

1 Like

Be careful the cat doesn’t get into the baby’s bassinet and try to smother them. My old cat did that 3x until we got rid of her. She was pissing on everything the baby had, ruined books I bought for him, his car seat, clothes, blankets, everything. Half of what I bought was ruined and when she tried smothering him, we gave her to a man who kept barn cats. I didn’t want to do it but I draw the line at trying to kill my child.

It took months before my cat acted like her normal self after I brought my daughter home but now they are inseparable

1 Like

Just ignore the cat when it acts out and eventually it will adjust
Cats don’t like change

I would be keeping my eye on my cat and my baby. You never know what might happen as a result of jealousy or territorialism.

My daughter was screaming her head off when we first brought her home so she scared the cats (X4) took them awhile to go see her 3 aren’t fazzed by her but the youngest kitty loves her will go and check on her if she cry’s or if she’s asleep in the room during the day she will go sleep on my bed next to her crib so she’s not by herself

This is really amazing earning massively from Bitcoin investment with the help of an honest and genuine expert Manager Rochelle Shannon. As a newbie I started with what I could actually afford (starter plan)and to be honest am shocked with the outcome so amazing…to get started click on the link below for more information.

Doubt it. Cats are stubborn