How can I get my cat to stop peeing on everything?

How in the world can I get my cats to stop peeing all over my house? I dont even know why they started doing this,…I clean the litter daily, they have been to the vet to check for infections and nothing and they are both fixed…I am tired of everything smelling like cat pee! Help!!!

11 Likes

Are they declawed? I had 2 cats (30 years ago) that were declawed before I got them. Didnt realize it takes the end of their toe off and makes it painful to use litter. I ALWAYS had an issue with them using the litter box.

We got a kitten a while ago. He kept shitting behind our TV and pissing in our closet. We didn’t know the rule about the liter boxes. We got him fixed and got another cat liter box and he stopped. Also as others have said it might be the liter. Some don’t like the scented and won’t use it. I just use the special kitty clay red bag. It lasts 2 weeks without smelling and I don’t scoop it. They do prefer one box over the other tho. One is in the laundry room (the one they prefer) and one is in the kitchen (away from food of course and the table no it’s not gross). Good luck hopefully you can figure out the problem. We were to the point if our cat didn’t stop going in the house we were getting rid of him.

Could be a issue with them not liking the litter…not enough litter boxes (1 per cat plus 1 extra)…not deep/big enough. Clean the areas with a enzymatic cleaner for pet pee. Could also try Feliway Diffuser too

1 Like

Spray vinegar on floor it won’t hurt your floors or carpet worked for me the worst that could happen is that it fails

2 Likes

I gave up and I ordered a large cat cage.

I’m dealing with the same.issue with 2 of my male cats. One is 17 years old so I blame it on his age, but the other is 3 yrs old and I think he does it just to be an ass!! I even have cat spray deterent and he will still spray.

You should have at least 3 litter boxes. Plus one for the amount of cats you have. They may not like sharing.

1 Like

There’s a plug in you can buy on Amazon. It helps to calm the cats down. It’s called feliway. Worked great for my cat who started peeing everywhere for no good reason. Recommended by my vet

My cat was peeing on everything cause he didnt like the feel of the pine littler pellets, soon as we switched to the other stuff he stopped!

1 Like

2 issues caused that in mine at different times. 1 was a threatening Tom cat who even tried to attack me. 2nd was a severe kidney infection (quickly cured with slippery elm). When they all are peeing is not orneryness but communication.

I’d start with one uncovered or large litter box for each cat… and an extra. Scoop every day… buy the unscented decent stuff. Feliway may help… and isolation in a smaller space… maybe a room of their own… until you see the behavior you want

I have 3 cats and had 4 , we have two litter boxes. One cat started peeing on my clothes basket ect. So I got a open top litter box and got cheap plain tee shirts or old rags and she went in there then I started training to pet pads in there and she stopped peeing on my stuff .

Changes to the home will cause it also. Stress plays a factor. God bless

Lemon Juice is a good one, also smells nice x

I had an issue with my cat not using his. We got a new box that was bigger than the last one and he stopped going outside of it. Cats get attitudes often :roll_eyes::joy: and will use that attitude to not use their box

5 Likes

Have it checked for urinary issues.

add extra litterboxes, or they may need a larger one. change litters, sometimes the type of litter can effect them. Is there any new stressers for the cat?

You get rid of those cats. Not all cats do that but some cats do. Some cats are extreamly disrespectful. And if you have had this issue for a while, chances are it won’t stop. I’ve taken care of cats for years and my grandma has had 30 indoor cats for the past 30yrs. You need to get rid of those cats and get new ones that respect you and your space as alpha.

17 Likes

Try this …. It actually works. I have more than one, but my girls are all over the house.

Bc they are cats and cats are ass holes lol
Especially male cats…

Make sure that you clean the area that they peed in very well. If they smell pee in an area (on the couch for example), they will continue to pee there. Like others have suggested, try changing the litter they use. If you have multiple floors in your house, place a litter box on each floor. Try placing the cat/cats in the litter box throughout the day.
Did you move recently? Did you just recently get the cat/cats or introduce a new cat to already existing cats? Did any other major change happen within the home? New baby, remodeling? Most cats do not like change and it takes time for them to adjust. If that’s the case, give it some time. They will eventually adjust.

Are there other cats outside peeing? That could be the cause

Well what did vet say if u took them in? The vet had to have had an opinion or suggestion for the situation? I know what my situation was and what I did but that’s the very unpopular option! I’ve been told numerous times by vets that once cats start doing that they don’t stop. If there is a reason u can plainly see that they would do that or they are sick or something that’s different those things can be fixed but if there is no reason and they just are there is no way to fix that they just will forever…. U need to decide how to handle that and what ur comfortable with. Do u want to try to rehome a cat that doesn’t use the litter box that’s gonna be hard u have to tell whom ever would adopt the cat the issue. U could take them to the shelter but the shelters gonna have the same prob trying to rehome they also have to tell the truth. I’m sorry to be so matter a fact about it but there’s not many options when in ur situation…. I understand the crudeness of it I also understand people doing everything and anything they can to fix the prob to keep the pet they are like our babies sorta…. I’m sorry keep trying but I fear u will end at the same place I did which completely destroyed me and broke my heart.

They don’t like citrus smells