How can I get my child to drink more water?

What are some tips and tricks to getting your child to drink more water? We are trying to work on my 6yr olds constipation issues and I know that if she were to drink more water, it would probably help. She’s in kindergarten so it’s not like I can watch her all day to make sure she’s drinking. I’ve tried several different water flavors and she doesn’t like any of them. I’m thinking about getting a see thru water bottle and drawing lines on it to show how much she should be drinking during the day but that’s all I’ve got right now. Please help because this mama has pretty bad anxiety over my child’s constipation issues!

5 Likes

Fun cups with straws or let them pick out a cool water bottle! If it’s a flavor issue you could try one of those cirkul water bottles. Good luck!

Cirkul water bottle works with my 6 yr. old. He often asks for instead of juice or milk.

1 Like

My daughter uses a water bottle that has the times on it so she knows each marker has to be met with a time its really helped

1 Like

I understand the issue with the constipation but maybe she just doesn’t need the extra water. Is her urine fairly pale ? If so then she’s not dehydrated and trying to push water will make her drink less
Will she drink fruit juice ? Let her help make fruit/veg smoothies , make sure she has fibre in her diet and berries to snack on.
Water is great but any fluid counts including the water content of fruits and fruits/veg will help the constipation

1 Like

I did a cirkul water bottle for my lo and it’s helped tremendously

1 Like

Try different water temps. I know for me, after being pregnant I can ONLY drink ice cold water, so maybe that could be a solution :blush:

2 Likes

I recommend trying the powdered Gatorade mixes. I feel like the water flavor mixes just dry my mouth out. Coconut water is also a good option. The fruit punch & strawberry banana body armor are my favorite. (And I HATE bananas. )

Maybe try some seltzer waters, say they’re sodas.

While drinking water is important it’s more beneficial to eat your water instead (fruits and veggies) if she will eat Mango’s they’re fiberous and juicy!!

All 3 of my kids have a cirkul bottle and they will drink more water along with myself. Give go to drinkcirkul.com you can get 12 oz bottles and sleeves. For the bottles.

Don’t buy any drinks for the house. I guarantee she’s drink some water when she gets thirsty. At least that’s what worked for me

Temperature might play a factor. I only drink ice cold water loads of it but it has to be cold. Now you can easily get bottles that’s stay cold not cheaply but easily. Last year I splurged and bought myself an ice/ cold water dispenser and all 3 kids dramatically increased the amount of water they drink too. Now it’s a matter of keeping it topped up.

Cool shaped ice cubes!
Penguin Ice Cube Mold, Fun Shapes Ice Cube Tray, Make 4 Cute Penguin Ice Balls for Drinks Cocktails Iced Coffee, Silicone Ice Mold Chocolate Mold with Funnel-type Lid, Green https://a.co/d/fMLIiY0

I made a rule of a glass of water before anything sweet lol you want a sucker? Glass of water first

Try Bai Coconut water. It is the best, I have ever seen.