How can I get my grandson to go to school without breaking down?

Did he attend preschool or is this his first official school year? Transitions are hard times for children. Talk with his teacher and/or the school OT and develop a plan to make this transition easier. Maybe they could allow you to walk him to the classroom and say good bye at the door or locker, instead of the school yard. Sometimes small adjustments to drop off for the first couple days or weeks can have a huge impact on how things go. Ultimately dropping him at the gate and having him flop to the ground be carried to the class could leave long term distrust and abandonment issues and considering his parents lack of involvement in his life he likely is already dealing with these issues and could be why drop off is so traumatic for him. Also have you talked to him about why he is having such a huge reaction to being dropped off at school? Day one was not so bad and every day since has been more challenging, has anything happened inside the school that he may be upset about and talking to you could help him sort through? It may not even be anything bad, could be not understanding why at home he can do this but at school he can’t.

1 Like

My grandson was almost that bad. I am sorry now that I didn’t wait another year to start him to kindergarten an d work with him at home. Sometimes they are just now mature enough to leave home especially boys.I would keep him home til next year.

1 Like

Sounds like he had abandonment issues. I’d talk to a therapist for advice.

2 Likes

You’re the only consistency in his life. Watching you leave is probably so hard on him. He sees people leave and never come back and he doesn’t want that to happen with you. Always reassure him you will be there to pick him up. Do a special handshake or phrase everytime you drop him off and make a huge deal when you pick him up from school. Doesn’t matter if he’s sad, he’s still very brave for being at school all day.

2 Likes

It will get better I promise. The teacher also will be good at helping offering to play and have fun with him in class.

1 Like

I would look into the daycare because my kids all loved daycare. If he Is afraid to go, there is a reason.

Definitely separation anxiety. Talk to his pediatrician about ways to help. He may need to see a therapist. I would also talk to the school counselor about ways they can help transition him a little easier. I was raised by my grandmother and she ended up being my best friend. Good luck and best wishes, you got this.

1 Like

Just went through this. Took 1 week and now 3 weeks in he walks in no problems. Keep doing what you are doing. Change is hard but reassure him you will see him after school. Dont be embarrassed, they are used to kids having the same reaction. Promise your guy is not the only one having a hard time. In 2 weeks he will be a pro.

2 Likes

UPDATE: It got way worse, but it’s slowly getting better. ( It took 5 days for my post to be approved. ) We are now on week 2 of kindergarten, it’s Thursday today. School started last week on Wednesday so we had those 3 horrible days and then the weekend made it worse. Monday morning I could not get him in the car seat so I had to have my husband come out and help me. I thought maybe it would be easier if my husband dropped him off, nope ! It was the worst tantrum I’ve ever seen in my life ! By anyone ! When I got home I called the school counselor and filled her in on his background and asked if we could do something different at drop off. She said I could bring him into the office and he can stay with her. When he got home that day I told him it’s ok to be sad and it’s ok to cry but what wasn’t ok was for him to be kicking and hitting his Pop at drop off and taking his shoes and socks off etc. I told him if he didn’t do those things tomorrow (Tuesday) that I would have a special surprise for him when he got home. Tues morning was ok, we went to the office and he cried but normally, when I picked him up I told him what a great job he did so he gets his surprise. It was a green turtle sand box with bright blue and purple play sand. Wed morning (yesterday) I took him into the office again and dropped him off again with the counselor and he cried again but was ok, after school I told him how proud I was and his special surprise was I took him and our next door neighbors little kindergarten girl to the park and splash pad, they had a blast, too bad she’s in a different class then him. The school counselor asked if he was in counseling or therapy and I told her I’ve been on two different waiting lists for a very long time. She said they have counseling at school from an outside source if I was interested. I said yes, sign us up ! Before I was even done reading everyone’s replies I went to Amazon and ordered The Kissing Hand, unfortunately the paperback for $8 was out of stock so I had to pay $18 for the hard cover ! Unfortunately, do to Covid and the recent school shootings NO parent is allowed on the playground for drop off or allowed to walk down the halls, so being able to sit in class with him for a while isn’t an option. You all were a great help and offered up some great advice and thank you all for your kind words :heart:

5 Likes

He’s taking his cues from you. You need to be cheerful and firm. Try not to be so worried, he’s picking up on it

1 Like

I don’t this it’s so abnormal to not want to go, but to this extreme. The child clearly suffers from abandonment issues. I’m sorry :disappointed: do you talk about school and what he’ll do and that he will see you again at whatever time they get out? I’d also be wondering how school was going for him those first couple days since his behavior was getting worse.

1 Like

Mine kids went through the crying. I was fine until I got in the car. Can you husband take him to school? I was thinking if y’all changed it up. Also if he doesn’t want to go visit his dad don’t make him. Let you son come visit him. I have found if a child doesn’t want to go with a person something isn’t right.

1 Like

Seems to be alot of change for this little guy.

2 Likes

I’d recommend therapy. He may not be ready to leave your side yet.

1 Like

A quick, consistent goodbye is best. Chose a routine and what you will say, “Mommy loves you. You are going to have a great day and Mommy always come back.” It can take up to a month of tears. Every child is different and he will be okay.

Last year when my daughter was 4 we started her in a preschool center to get her socialized and to start learning. My daughter has always been with my mom during the day while I worked. We had the same situation and it got better after about a week. Get him a special watch or just something and tell him it’s his “brave” thing. Kiss his hand and tell him that he will have your kiss with him all day . It will get better, hang in there. He may have separation anxiety as well bc of the traumas of people leaving him.

1 Like

My nephew went thru this last year when he started kindergarten it took a little bit but he adjusted to not being home n with his family

1 Like

Separation anxiety or abandonment issues is what it sounds like. I firmly believe in therapy and you and your grandson may both need some to help work out these issues. Not blaming anyone for anything or judging. I just know therapy helps and I’m 59 and working on issues from my childhood that has just come up and I’m blessed to have a great therapist. Best of luck :crossed_fingers: grandma / mama

1 Like

You are his security. I would go to class with him just for a little while. My oldest would walk home after i would leave him. So I let him stay home but he had to stay in bed because that is the reason to stay home. A few days and no more problems.

1 Like

First of all bless you for taking care and showing that baby some true love, so sorry about his parents but thankfully he’s got you.
I might not have the greatest advice but I can say both my kids did this and after 2 weeks they we’re finally getting into school without tears it does get easier :heart:

2 Likes

Put a picture of you in his backpack and he can look at it if he misses you .

5 Likes

My oldest was really upset going to school too and 1 thing that helped was playing a game with him before he had to go in line up. So tag, soccer, whatever. His classmates would watch and eventually join in so he got to make friends easier too, it made him so much more comfortable.

6 Likes

Both of his parents have abandoned him or been in and out of his life and not be parents who were able to be relied on to keep him safe, and to stay. He thinks that now you’re abandoning him too and he’s doing everything that he can to stop you from abandoning him. He doesn’t know what the difference is and why you are different from his parents and are going to come back. At least you have been forced to deal with the trauma he has experienced while he is a child and his brain is still malleable. Once you get into high school it’s not really flexible anymore, and you’re just trying to develop ways to cope with your issues and make sure they don’t have. Any Psychologist good Psychologist will understand why he has Abandonment Issues, but hopefully you can find one that has had been successful in working trauma in children his age.

2 Likes

If this is the first time he has really been separated from you, then its totally understandable why he feels this way. But I promise it gets easier for both of you. Maybe talk with him after school about the things he enjoyed doing and even things he didn’t. Have him help prepare for his next day at school, like packing lunches or snacks together, and laying out clothes. Let him know that he is not the only one who is sad and that you miss him too, and that it’s ok to feel those things, but you will be there waiting when he returns. If you have been the only consistency in his life, then it’s easy to understand why he feels this way. But after a few weeks of routines (which kids totally need and LOVE!!!) I think you will find he has settled in nicely and will be able to enjoy himself.

2 Likes

You are his person and now he has to go be with strangers! Lol a kid has a way of thinking and it will be emotional. I hope that over time he gets used to drop offs. Maybe prepare him mentally for the day on the drive over. He will be ok in the end- you are doing amazing! He is lucky to have you :blue_heart:

1 Like

Take him to a shrink .:pray::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: My prayers are with y’all. Amen :pray:

I would sit down and have a talk to him. Does his teacher or the school know his history? Might be good to let them know. He might subconsciously worry about abandonment. He may not remember his mom leaving him but his body remembers so letting go of your hand might freak him out. He might be worried you won’t come back. If it continues he may need some therapy. You may be biologically related and you care for him and love him as your own, but he basically is adopted. And if you ask alot of adoptees, they’ll say therapy did or would have helped them as a child.

3 Likes

Have you asked him what’s going on?

He may not be socially mature enough for kindergarten yet. Maybe he needs to not enter kindergarten for another year, but instead, go to a shorter preschool program, or a play group, or Sunday School program. He can learn to hang out with other kids, and that you will always come back for him. It sounds like he has had a rough start in life and you are his rock, the only thing he knows will always be there for him. I wish you the best of luck and that your grandson goes on to develop a love for school.

10 Likes

Remind him every day talk to him, tell him schools fun you can make new friends to play with that you will ALWAYS be there to pick him up at the end of the day maybe offer something fun be like when I come pick you up today from school we can go get ice cream, or we can go home and play with your favorite toy. Give him something to hold on to for once schools over.

2 Likes

Awww….you’re his safe space. Bless you for filling the void and being an standup grandmother. Maybe he needs some sort of counseling to help him deal with his feelings. I would suggest some sort of program that specializes in dealing with children that have been separated from their birth parents. I know he’s only 5 but he seems to have some sort of understanding. Keep being the consistency that he needs (not that you won’t).

4 Likes

Have him evaluated for adhd and autism. Abandonment issues can run deep and with his mother being on drugs it would not be surprising. He could be experiencing abandonment trauma and rejection sensitivity disphoria.

2 Likes

Therapy for this poor baby. I can’t even imagine what he feels like. I would suggest staying with him a little each day until he gets more comfortable. Also, I would approach the teacher and principal to just make them aware of the situation. I hope it gets easier on you as well. My heart hurt just reading this. Hug’s, :heart: & prayers

1 Like

First, he needs to be in play therapy with a trauma informed therapist. He’s clearly having a trauma response. In his young like both bios essentially abandoned him. Second, he needs something like a social story created for him (Google social story). This will help w the details of school and you returning to him. Third, I’d given him some special item he will keep during the school day to remind him of you. Fourth, I’d read a book like the Kissing Hand and/or find the episode of Daniel Tiger saying grownups always come back (although only partially true in his case). Fifth, I’d schedule a conference or at least email his teacher to get her input and understand how he’s doing once he “settles in” in the classroom. Lastly, I’d work on your language i.e. drug addiction mother, etc. I KNOW he was likely born drug exposed, but language matters n he can never think grandma hates bio mom or dad bc he’s part of them n could then hate himself. But I get it, I foster and I see all the things n you feel rage towards the parents that hurt their kids. But you need to reign it in for his sake.

3 Likes

This is normal hunny. My child did the same thing and I worked at the same school just down the hall. This went on for 3 months before she stopped and was fine with the new routine. It was really really hard for me and I know it’s hard for you just keep being strong and keep your head up and maybe try and reward system with something they really like to help make the crying stop when you drop them off. I told my daughter who just started pre-k at a new school…. She started crying and I told her if she doesn’t cry at all when she gets dropped off and she’s goes in like she is supposed too she will get m&ms and a pack of fruit snacks when she gets out of school and it worked big time!!!

2 Likes

It just takes time. My son was the same way. He’s the baby. As heart breaking as it is it will get better. Talk to him. Send him with a special trinket and tell him when he’s sad or scared to hold it and you’ll be right there with him

1 Like

A child of a “drug user” would more than likely be born with neurological disorders ie/ fasd, autism and sensory issues, anxiety etc. have you spoken to him about what is going on ? Have you asked him why he is struggling ? Forcing him to go to school when it makes him uncomfortable and upset and forcing him to comply with A typical expectations isn’t fair on him. You will do more harm than good.
First thing is you need to get him assessed for these things I mentioned, get him the support he needs. Maybe speak to the principal and teachers and get the support he needs put in place, make them understand. You need to advocate for him. You need to take baby steps with him.
Please reach out if you need help with any of this or you need someone to talk to.

xx love and light.

2 Likes

Maybe try giving him a hair tie of yours for his arm that way he can just look at it when he misses you im glad he has a grandparent in his life like you best wishes

1 Like

I’d get him to talk and see what’s wrong, maybe something you have and he has that stays close to him and reminds him of you (I got mommy and me bracelets for my daughter) maybe try a babysitter sometime too, he’s just gotten to used to you. Maybe even try a play date with a couple kids at school so when he sees them he feels comfortable. I was the same thing with me growing up. I was always home with my grandmother and hated going to kindergarten. I eventually stopped crying but it did last a while for me. I hope you can figure out what can get him through. Seems like there is a lot of good answers here! Also you’re an awesome grandma for stepping up to be his mom. :heart: Good luck.

2 Likes

this is typical to me…a lot of kids gets scared…especially if you are all they really know

1 Like

Maybe he’s not ready for Kindergarten. Does he have to go? My Momma didn’t send me to Kindergarten and I’m just fine. Good luck and I’m praying. I wish he had a little friend that he knew and it wouldn’t be so hard on the little guy. My heart is breaking for you.

1 Like

Maybe homeschool for awhile sounds like it’s too much right now .bonding and 1 to 1 ratio of student to teacher

My middle son had a hard time with preschool, the teachers would let me sit with him for part of the morning until eventually he didn’t even need me there anymore. Your poor grandson has already been through so much he just wants to feel safe and that’s with you obviously. It might help if he sees you there with him

2 Likes

My neighbors grandson same way, he won’t ride bus, they have to take him every day. He is 6 now an first grade. Last year they got fines over it. He is same this year already. I see it’s very hard on you, hopefully he will be okay after time. Hang in there. I watch my neighbor fighting daily with there granchild

1 Like

Have him take a picture of you with him

3 Likes

Is he getting bullied at school?

1 Like

Remind him that you will be there to pick him up and all the fun he will have at school. And it probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to get him into some type of therapy. My daughter was the same way in kindergarten. She never went to a sitter or preschool or anything. It’s new and scary. When you pick him up ask how his day was and be excited about it. Ask about all the fun he had and his new friends. It will get better.

2 Likes

He may need an extra year to mature some and he comfortable to leave your side I know kids that have had to do this sounds like he has extremely bad separation anxiety which would be normal my kids do bc of some of the same things. Assure him that you are going to be ok and he will be ok and that you want to see him make friends and set up something fun for everyday he gets home from school and tell him y’all will have this time and fun everyday that he attends school so that he can teach you everything he learned that day. Prayers for you and him.

4 Likes

Maybe he’s just not ready. Give it a little time. Mine wasn’t ready so we did homeschool…it’s not as hard as some would have people believe. Finland doesn’t send kids to school until they are 7 …one of the best school systems in the world. Just because it’s what everyone is use to or what we’ve always done does not mean it right for everyone. Prayers for you and the little one.

2 Likes

Took 4 days for my granddaughter to stop crying

Offer him something special after school, like a stop at the park or library maybe. Of course I’m sure you already exclaim lovingly over his artwork and hang it on the fridge. I feel for you Gramma. That would break my heart.

1 Like

Also you may want to look up attachment styles. It sounds like he may have an insecure anxious attachment.

2 Likes

My daughter did the same thing and the teacher suggested bringing a picture of me to school and it helped. For other moms please do your child a favor and do preschool

2 Likes

This happened last year with my son. It broke my heart! It lasted for almost two weeks. :pleading_face: Finally the teacher talked with me and said say a quick goodbye, let him know you’ll be here waiting when he’s done and walk away. Don’t stay it really makes it worse. I found out the hard way, after about a week of me telling him this he was good!

I feel you and your son! I homeschooled my kindergartener because both of us weren’t ready to part from each other. She’s been with me everyday since she was born. We can be away from each other for 1-2 hours then we both start getting separation anxiety. I hope he adjusts soon and he starts to love it. Good vibes sent your way :heart:

My grandson did this to my daughter- she had another family member take him to school an she would go pick him up it worked great

1 Like

Sounds like he’s not ready for K. Perhaps homeschooling, of it’s something you feel comfortable doing. He could probably benefit from counseling.

1 Like

I’m not a psychiatrist
But this sounds like he may have an abandonment/attachment issue
This hurts my heart for you and him

Try reminding him at night where he will be going in the morning
Try to have positive conversations about it, often
Kids can be very forgetful
But also resilient!! So he will manage in his own time no doubt!
In the morning try reassuring him that you will be there later to pick him up
(As I’m sure you do)
Make sure he’s getting plenty of rest

And also talk to the school counselor to see if he/she could have a private chat with him to help ease his little mind

Hugs Momma :heart:

3 Likes

He will get used to it. Hopefully by next week this will stop. Once he realizes your always going to come back to get him and I’m guessing he’s fine after your gone for a little while. He’s going to adjust. Keep sending him, maybe try letting him bring something special from home with him for several days and try not to say goodbye when your dropping him off. Just say have a great day today, etc.

1 Like

My son also did this for about half the year. See if you can volunteer in the class every so often. Once they get in the class they normally do better abd have a fun day

2 Likes

i gave my little boy my picture ID from work to hold on too while he was in daycare for the first time ever , I did the same thing with my little girl when she went to preschool Buy a lanyard and attach your photo to it and tell him when he misses you just to look at your photo and know that Grandma loves you and is coming back for you

3 Likes

Sounds like he may benefit from a little child therapy. It’s possible whatever happened to him before to put him in the hospital traumatized him a little bit. He knows you are his safe place. At school he doesn’t have you, so he has to build those relationships with teachers. Maybe have a conference with teachers and counselor to get down to some of his fears. Give your grandson something of yours to hold on to. Tell him it is important and you need him to hold onto it for you, and he will have something to focus on when things get crazy.

2 Likes

Has he always been at home with you instead of daycare? If so this is a huge change for him and he is filled with a lot of emotions. Some kids don’t react well to change and feel like they’re being abandoned by their loved ones. Reach out to his teacher and see if it would be okay to get a tour of the whole school especially the playground and act extremely excited about all the things in his classroom and play with him for a bit inside the class. Walk him to his class everyday and reassure him that you’ll be there to pick him up. Also introduce yourself to the other parents and kids in his class and get them to play together on the playground before the bell rings. It will help.

1 Like

He has separation anxiety this too shall pass

He probably has separation anxiety and possibly abandonment issues? Poor lil guy…… sending good vibes to all of you that he’s able to break through this phase and enjoy school, make friends and have fun….:pray:t2::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart:

1 Like

This weekend take him to school. Just to the playground. Just for a little while. Pack a picnic. Go Just for Fun. Hopefully it will help if you’re there having fun with him. Surprise him with a toy. Make it a positive experience. Best of luck

Not to back track what you’ve already done by putting him in kindergarten now, but him being a “young” kindergartner just turning 5 last month, he may not be “ready” for Kindergarten. By law, kids don’t have to start kindergarten when they are 5 (at least in the US)…You don’t have to put them in until they are 6. He has the option to go to preschool if you wanted to go that route, for this year and it’d only be 3 days a week and only half days. It may help him better adjust to going to kindergarten next year. The only other thing I could tell you is that in some schools, they may allow him to go half days for a month or so until he’d be ready to transition to all day…even though most schools now have all day Kindergarten. It depends on how much the school is willing to work with you. I’m also wondering since his Mother is a drug addict (I’m not sure if she was using while he was in utero) but if he has other issues going on due to that, he may need what’s called an IEP or 504 plan. It’s for kids who need special help and accomodations in school, have a diagnosis ect…I hope this helps you. Bless you for taking in your Grandson. I know it can’t be easy and I’m sorry that you and him are both having a hard time. Exercise ALL resources thru the school. It’ll make a huge difference. :pray::heart:

1 Like

He might feel that you will just left him there forever and not coming back :cry: let him pick up his outfit the night before, prepare his lunch with his snacks , offer him a little surprise at the end of the week, talk about his day , ask him what he learned etc.
And also ask his teacher if the screaming and crying stop after he gets in the classroom.
Some kids are extremely attached, but he will get use it

They adjust, this is normal,
Talk to him about how you’ll come back, and how you look forward to seeing him after school and hearing about his day.

Possibly separation anxiety you have consistently cared for him he is still frightened to be without you. Does your school have a young 5 program? He may be better suited. Can you walk him into his classroom for a few days until he is more confident. Maybe volunteer in his classroom. He just needs a little extra support and love right now :heart: prayers for him and you :pray:

a lot of kids that don’t have the background yours does are dealing with this. They didn’t have preschool because of covid and they are just so extra used to being at home with their caregivers. My daughter did the meltdown thing, finally she told me she hated nap time. Yes, she had all day kindergarten and hated the nap they had in the middle. Her best friend was at the tail end of the age for preschool and she would cry all day, most days. Her mom walked out on her at four days old and her father dumped her on her grandma. The tough part for her was the teacher would try to comfort her with, “mom will be back this afternoon.” But she knew it was grandma not her mom. So she would cry more. Once the teacher started using correct adult identifiers it slowed the crying. My son just started kindergarten, the whole week before; “are you excited for school?” “Not really.” Why not? Finally, “because i don’t know anyone.”

I would see if you can 1, volunteer maybe one hour a week in his class. He can see you are a part of it. 2, talk to the teacher. The other kids may not be as friendly or social as you hope

Bribery!!! Also stay connected with the teacher…I’m a Preschool teacher and kids cry everyday, even though it’s hard it does eventually get better…find something he loves and reward him after good days…you can even make a chart… My sons in Kindergarten and loves Pokemon so each time he has a good day he earns a card :slight_smile: good luck

I agree with so many of these ideas, the picture of grandma to keep with him is a great idea, also, perhaps set up a meeting with the schools behavioral specialist, social worker or counselor and talk about options that could be allowed to help him feel more safe at school. Meeting with a behavioral specialist could be a great way to help teach him healthy coping techniques also. Best wishes to you. :heart:

It’s harder when parents take them to school let him ride the bus.

This is completely normal, just because all children don’t react like this doesn’t make it abnormal: it’s all down to personality.
I’d continue to be calm and loving at drop off, remain consistent and keep taking him. He will get there.
My Brother screamed and cried, even kicked the nursery doors when he was dropped off, but when he realised his Mum was coming back every day; and he got to play/do fun things, he soon settled.
My own two have been completely different, my Son was fine and happy to go to nursery, my Daughters took a few weeks to settle with the childminder. x

1 Like

He thinks he’s spending the night because of the nap time. Have the teacher let him stay awake through nap time, so he’ll understand that it’s not overnight. Otherwise take him out and try again next year. He’ll be more mature.

My son (5 and just started kindergarten) absolutely broke down the first three days (wed/thur/fri which were “transitioning days” they were only three hour days) to the point where he didn’t even get to class, we just took him home. The first full day, the following Monday, I took him and of course he was still crying and didn’t want to go but I promised him I would be right there and I wouldn’t leave him. It’s been two weeks and he still thinks we drop him off and sit in the parking lot at the school until it’s time to pick him up. The first day he went, the first thing he said to me when I picked him up was “I knew you wouldn’t leave me. I know you stayed I told the teacher you were still there!” (They kept telling him that I had left, which obviously I can’t realistically sit there all day but it helps him feel better so he can keep thinking I’m there. The fact we live literally .03 miles from the school helps too.) I hate lying to him but it only took him that one day and he actually looked forward to going the next day and now he tells us where to “park while we wait for him” just make sure he knows you’ll always be there to get him and if you have to, tell him you’ll sit there and wait for him all day. Honestly I don’t think I would have gotten him to go had I not told him I’d sit there and wait. We also went and he picked out his own tub of ice cream and cones and he gets an ice cream after school every day. It’ll get better. It may take time but you’ll find what works and he’ll get use to it. Encourage him to make friends. And tell the people that are grabbing him to keep their hands to themselves. That was another problem I had. They had 4 grown ass strangers on my baby and one was literally holding him down (OF COURSE he was terrified!) so when we went back on the full day I told all of them to back the fuck up and ONE person could walk him to class if they weren’t gonna let me do it, but they were to keep their hands off of him because my child does not like to be touched unless he initiates it… and he did fine after crying for about twenty minutes and has liked it ever since.

I’m not an expert, but he probably has a very strong fear of abandonment. Find a therapist to work with both of you (and grandpa). The therapist will help you work with him and teach him tools to overcome his separation anxiety.

1 Like

It will pass.

Took my grandson almost two weeks.

Just keep consistent, and maybe a popsicle reward on fridays for a good week….
Hope it improves

Should have put him in pre k.

Just let him know he’s only there for a while and you are always coming back for him, and give time for the idea to sink in. Always pick him up on time. It’ll take a few days but he’ll get there.

Thank you for advocating for your grandson. To keep putting him in that situation is called flooding, he is having an adverse reaction and it seems to be increasing. He is young and I think I would look for a different situation for him. A mommy and me situation might really help as he could be with the other kiddos and you would still be there. A different “school” might help as well, no harm in checking them out. I really feel for him, he has had a rough start. An occupational therapist might have some great suggestions as well, reach out to his pediatrician.

1 Like

Many kids get/have separation anxiety. It takes a lot of reassurance and patience, and that’s in typical situations. Sounds like your little guy has experienced a lot in his 5 years, and may need more help and reassurances during this big transition/change so he can adjust to what is becoming his new normal of going to school.

Maybe talking to a couple parents and their children while you are there waiting in the morning. This might help to make friends for him, and they can be a big help in making him more comfortable through the school day.
You could also speak to the school psychologist for help, and suggestions.

Best of luck to you and your little guy.

My youngest did this 40 yrs ago. Lol. The teacher advised at this time, he wasn’t ready. We took him out and the next year he was fine. He had just turned five a week prior to school starting.

4 Likes

I had the same problem. I just had to talk it through and find ways to catch his attention. Such as he liked dozers tractors and where were cars going asked him what he liked and wanted to do as a grown up. Told him all the cars where they were going they were going to school that everything u do in life is to learn. You want a fancy car and nice house you will always have to learn to do it. Other cars are going to work they already went to school and learned and now going to their jobs to be able to get the things u want. Seemed to of worked had no problem after that now it’s hard to get him to leave.

It sounds like he has major separation anxiety . All the people who should love and protect him have walked out of his life , but you and your husband . I’d ask if you could walk him inside , and make sure you sit with him and explain you will come back for him and will see him soon . Maybe he needs to talk to someone outside the home , like a pediatric therapist . I’d also ask the teachers to let you know how he does during the day , how he acts , and what he does . You can always give him a picture of you to carry with him , and maybe he can call you at playtime or nap time if the school can allow that ?

2 Likes

I would get him counseling

what we do with my nearly 4 yr old is talk to her about her day and ask what they did what happened etc like the other day she came home from pre school( her 5th day )and was so sad and after talking for a few minutes she broke down and said she was sad because a little boy hit her and told her she couldn’t play in the tunnel out on the playground after we talked she felt better and wanted to go back before she started we played games all summer getting her ready for it like tell me are mommy and daddy going to be with you all day and she would scream no! I go by myself to be with my friends and my teachers but she was sad the first few times we brought it up that we wouldn’t go too she’s never been away from us

Make special bracelets together and let him know when he misses you, to look at the bracelet and know you’re with him always! I did this with daughter and worked great. Wish you the best

3 Likes

We had this with our son. After a semester we switched him to a small town school cause he just couldn’t mentally handle the city school. It was so bad, my husband and I were constantly at the school, we even involved a counsellor and his doctor, in the end he just didn’t feel safe in that environment without us or his big siblings (he was 5 and his big brother 15 so they couldn’t go to school together). I know this isn’t an option for everyone, but it was the best one for us

It’s hard in the beginning but it does get better. My son did the same thing when he started kindergarten. For the first couple weeks he would get upset at drop off, but the teacher told me he would cheer up shortly after class started. The first week he would tell me you can’t leave me with all these strangers! It would make me feel so bad. See about being a class helper, giving him a pic of you to take with him, definitely talk with the teacher. Talking with the teacher was what made the difference with my son. She kind of took him under her wing. Made him feel more comfortable. My son at the time turned 5 in October and was put in kindergarten and I was told he was kind of young and wasn’t quite ready. They held him back that year and he did kindergarten the next year with the same teacher, that way he already knew her. Plus he was more mature and ready. Good luck and it will get better!

He problary thinks your going to leave him and not come back just let him know he’s only there for so long and you will pick him up

1 Like

It’s faded from washing my hands all day BUT THIS HAS BEEN A GAME CHANGER!!! I draw a heart on my hand and a heart on her hand or wrist (in sharpie and wherever she wants it) and I told her whenever she’s at school and she misses me to push her heart and when I miss her I’ll push mine! The idea is “I pushed mine at the same time because when you pushed yours it sent a signal to my brain to push mine” and so far we’ve had pretty good days. The first week was ROUGH!! Also we bought the teacher a “class plant” that she gets to help water and take care of so that gives her something to look forward to everyday at school! We’re not 100% but it’s definitely been 75% less crying.

5 Likes

Aww nana I’ve got no advice but you are his safe place. I can’t even imagine how hard this is for you. Thank you for being the one adult that has his best interests at heart, I’m sure with time he will settle in and stop melting down. Be consistent and remind him that you’re going to be there to pick him up at the end of the day.

4 Likes

Talk to him. Find out Why.

If you can find him a friend to walk in with him. I had this problem. It worked out once a friend in the same class walked in with him

Maybe give him something that he can take with him that you made or smells like your perfume or something. One commenter suggested a bracelet… you have one and so does he… that might bring him some comfort so he doesn’t feel so alone. Good luck😊

I would hold off sending him to school. Legally (where I’m from) they don’t need to be in school until 6 years old. I’d keep him him for a while.

5 Likes