How can I get my kids on a routine?

Do you have any advice on how to start to get my five and 7-year-old in a routine? I was working for two years and just had to go with the flow; now that I’m back to being a stay-at-home mom, the kids are out of routine, and I’m struggling to get them back on track. Thank you in advance!

2 Likes

Just start what you want them to do and eventually they will catch on. Consistency is key!

Be consistent. It will be a struggle for a while but as long as you stay consistent the routine will get back to normal.

1 Like

Absolutely Robbi Mass …at those ages there will be kicking and screaming all the way.keep your cool but stay consistant.

Start with one part of the day first! I would start with dinner and bedtime routine and after some time and dinner into it and so on. Move backwards from bedtime. It will be hard, probably some resistance. But just be consistent and keep your cool ( easier said than done I know) and remember they are kids and won’t be perfect every day even when they have a routine down. And maybe even try to explain to them what you want to do and get them involved in what they might think would be good for parts of the routine. Good luck!

1 Like

Just stay consistent and stand your ground. They get used to the routine you put them on. So long as it stays consistent, they’ll catch on but it will take time and immense patience.