How can I get my kids to help around the house?

What are some ways I can get my kids to help me out around the house? I am always stuck doing everything on my own and i am exhausted…asking them to help with anything gets me no where

18 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How can I get my kids to help around the house?

1 Like

tell them you’re going to start charging them a fee for things like, laundry, cleaning up after them, etc. Heck! I charge my son $40 to clean his room. And I’m not joking! He pays it too :wink: LOL

1 Like

Take everything away from them and make them earn it back. :100:

2 Likes

Take away video games/phones/ favorite toys. Decide which things are most important to them and make those things worth the most points. Make a chore chart and give each chore a point value. They have to earn points to get their things back. It’s better than telling them what they have to do, this way they get a choice, do a little math, and help you around the house too.

2 Likes

I don’t let my kids play with any toys or Xbox until they help clean the living room mainly because they are the ones who are there most of the day making it a mess lol. As well as any trash they have left on the stairs or bathroom. It helps alot

Take the toys away let them earn them back

You make them help. Stop asking and make them help and if they don’t help then they have consequences.

4 Likes

Consequences that need to be enforced. Don’t do it and start losing things. But don’t give in and give them back or they learn you’re a fraud.

1 Like

Should of started when they were 1

1 Like

I told my kids its .10 everytime I have to pick something of theirs up be it their clothes, toys or trash. They’ve been doing much better. And cause they like to name call each other they have to pay .25 every time to the person they call a jerk or stupid so on…it’s helped a lot after the first couple days. Kids ages are 13, 9. And 7

Tell them, don’t ask

5 Likes

Change the wifi password

6 Likes

You give consequences or you make it fun depending on age really. My 4 year old knows when I tell her to clean up she is to clean up or she won’t be having any more fun or snacks lol

3 Likes

Depends on age if they are younger give each one a jar each time they complete a chore give them a token to put in their token jar each at the end of each week reward the one who earned most tokens a small gift wrapped up your choice it doesn’t have to be expensive gift for younger children if older children a $20 bill should suffice some may think it’s wrong but I can tell you it works my children are 49 45 &43 my sons are the best house cleaning men they ever seen daughter as well it works & has carried over into adulthood

Mine are under 6 and help clean the house I pick one thing for each of them to pick up and they do it I turn on some music and they love it … and I wouldn’t give them money

We started doing a chore chart that changes out weekly …they don’t get paid they get to have 1 on 1 time with a parent alone . But to get that reward you have to have your chores done for the week…it was a game changer…they like that 1 on 1 time.

1 Like

Are you able to pay them an allowance? Yes kids should help regardless, but kids will help more willingly after they’ve already started helping and realize it’s not the end of the world. I’ve seen ppl write chores on a popsicle stick, with an amount of money on it when it’s completed, and they pick it out of a jar without seeing what it is. :woman_shrugging:t2: People need incentive, at least until it becomes habitual.

1 Like

My children were like this…

Now I print them off the jobs I would like them to do, they like ticking them off at the end of each one they completed.

My 3 year old loves wiping the kitchen cupboard doors, the fridge freezer, tumble dryer and washing machine down with a wet cloth, he makes is own bed, tidys his room & uses the dust pan and brush when I’ve swept the dirt up in a pile.

My 4 year old son who has autism and has very little understanding and is non verbal but he puts his teddies on his bed, & he understands the word bin so anything that needs to go into the bin he does.

My 7 year old folds the washing out the dryer and put the piles into everyone’s bedrooms. Drys up and puts away when I’m washing up, makes his own bed, opens his curtains, puts the recycling into the correct bins/bags.

We even played a matching game a few days ago making matches with the odd socks I had collected up over a few months in a bag.

If I asked them to do it they would moan or roll their eyes at me. So I print off a jobs list with their name on. I always give them something rewarding at the end of helping me.
Extra tablet time or a small pack of sweets out the cupboard before lunch.

I like to get everything done in the morning so I’m not spending all day cleaning there’s never more then 10 jobs on the list xx

From day 1, 6 months old or so. I worked with each of my kids. Showing them how to drop toys in a basket when playtime was over. By 18 months or so they were picking up their own toys. And of course it progressed from there. By 14 they did their own laundry. As well as household chores, cleaning their bathroom etc… of course I had to remind, complain and sometimes threaten or flat out flip my lid but it always got done. Start early!! My son with special needs contributes too. Things on his level but he does his part or atleast trys. Some of my mom friends get very little help from their kids.

2 Likes

l Get paid over $112 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $19744 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://DollarWorth472.pages.dev/

I still struggle to get mine to do chores at times. I have found the ability to earn money toward big items he wants is a motivator. My daughter is only 1 she’s still learning what no means so we’re working on cleaning up still :joy:. But my 11 year old I find is complacent about chores if he has everything he wants and doesn’t need to work for anything. But when it comes to games for his system or game cards for them I consider that a want not a need so he needs to do something to earn that money. However if he chooses to not do his daily chore then the new one he chose replaces it.

Depends on age. I’ve had my children helping on picking up since they can walk. I started by making it a game. Now ages 14, 12, 11 and 7 they keep their rooms clean and if I ask will wash dishes, do laundry, vacuum etc. The 7 year old girl not so much. She is kinda dramatic when it comes to it lol. I just stay on her or I start removing toys.

Quit asking them, tell them they have to help.

3 Likes

Stop asking.
Tell them.
My kids want their devices or cartoons? Chores first. Period.
I’m not their maid. They’re old enough to help. My oldest and I have had several conversations about this.

6 Likes

No TV, no electronics until chores are done.

My oldest keeps asking for money and I’m like go do this and I’ll pay you.

4 Likes

We do daily task/chore charts for my kids. They earn money each week front doing chores and if I need them to do something extra I’ll normally offer them an extra dollar. So bribery… I bribe my kids, and I’m not even sorry :joy:

2 Likes

You don’t ask them to help. You tell them to help. I have a 13 year old who’s only job is to take the trash out daily. I have a 9 year old who’s only job is to scoop the cat box. If their ONE chore isn’t done by the time I get home from work, I collect their remotes and controllers for the day. If I’m cleaning up and they have made a mess somewhere, like my 9 year old likes to “forget” to flush the toilet or lets her cereal bowl sit on the table, I call that child to the mess and make them clean it up.

I’m a full time employee, a full time student, a full time mother and a full time wife. I don’t have time to be cleaning up after everyone. Repetition, consistency and enforcement are key.

I had to hut my child a pre paid debit - to earn cash - it’s so hard with this generation with them being lazy they just want to be on electronics

Becoming a great person in life do take time but the time has come to your gate to get started with mrs lisa Jennifer she is actually the best in the Crypto trading contract her with the name below​:arrow_double_down::arrow_double_down::arrow_double_down::arrow_double_down::arrow_double_down::arrow_double_down::arrow_double_down:

This is incredible wow :star_struck: I never knew investment in this trading platform is so profitable what a massive profit :partying_face: . Thanks so much Mrs lisa jennifer :two_hearts: for my successful investment am really grateful, to me this is more than a miracle securedbasefxoption is the best trading platform :blush::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Mrs lisa jennifer

Honestly… I whole heartily believe that you should’ve started them off young…… doing little simple things to help you out around the house

4 Likes

Don’t ask. It’s än expectation. They live there to and they need to do their part .

1 Like

You give them an option? :confused:
If chores aren’t done, devices are mine. Don’t ask to go anywhere. Nobody is coming over.
They’ve been grounded bc I will not ask 1,000x. They live here and will live on their own one day.
You decide the consequences and stick to them. They’ll be mad, and? They’ll also get over it. Parent them. They deserve you putting their future first. My 20yr old keeps his place spotless. He even dusts. My 12yr old does her room all the time. She even cleans the bathroom.
Momma, you can’t wait to start discipline. It’s harder when they’re older. Set the standards now and enforce them. :black_heart:

4 Likes

Don’t ask, I tell mine, “I need you to take out the trash, clean the kitchen” etc. They would not get spending money if they don’t do what I told them to. It’s not just your house!

Stop asking, and tell them to get off their butts! How is this even a question??? You ARE the parent! Act like it!

2 Likes

I’ve had them helping since they were little. It started with helping me put dirty clothes in laundry baskets, handing them a single washcloth to put in a drawer, stacking shoes on the rack having them put spoons in the dishwashers, etc. Now they are getting older they just help because they are part of the tribe and our tribe works together to make our space comfortable. If one of my kids finishes their tasks first, they’ll help the other kids so that it gets done twice as fast. You just have to start somewhere and keep encouraging them to help and if they refuse, then don’t give them the wifi password until they do help.

1 Like

Chores lists. Make a daily chore list for each kid. If their chore isn’t done they cannot get screen time, outside play time… basically nothing until chores are done for the day

3 Likes

Stop asking start telling them start taking tv phone and things like away

1 Like

Take away their phones and games until they do their chores.

Age? Warn time on electronics
Family meeting weekly to pick and choose a daily chore including one supervised cook each

1 Like

Nothing until chores are done.

1 Like