How can I get my kids to make their bed in the morning?

How can I get my kids to make their beds in the morning? Literally all I ask of them ebfore they go to school and NONE of them do it…

17 Likes

Not a priority imo. Never has been. Never will be. What’s behind it for you may be the success or loss of battle. Now. Straighten up the bed and night time clothing situation is a thing for us. But straight up making the bed…nope. My kids aren’t morning people and I also grew up in military family. I’ve learned for our fam there’s more important things of focus.

9 Likes

I wouldn’t worry too much i have 4 kids and have learnt to pick my battles and making their beds isnt a big issue

4 Likes

When did parents stop being parents The comments that some of these people have been making are ridiculous if you want your child to start making their bed in the mornings before they go to school or go play or whatever you give them a choice either they make it or they lose their bedding and I guarantee that a couple nights without their bedding they will make the decision to make their beds everyday

25 Likes

It’s your children and you do as you see fit. We don’t know these kids or you. We just get a short statement and then everyone runs with assumptions. I have a 13 yr old and a 7 month old. I don’t require my daughter (13 yr old) to make her bed but she does most days anyways. She is a very well behaved and easy child so I don’t push her in certain areas. Buttttt if you want them kids to make that bed get creative! Make them use Barney blankets or Barbie or something that makes them cringe until they do as you ask! Good luck mama! :crossed_fingers:

Pick your battles…not a priority.

4 Likes

My question is why is this such an issue for you? How old are your kids were even talking about?

1 Like

I don’t make my bed either and I’m 32

8 Likes

Hide their bedding in a different place everyday around the house if they want it they have to make their beds everyone morning if not you’ll do the same every day.
I chuck my kids shoes out the window if they don’t put it away

4 Likes

let it go :woman_shrugging:t4::rofl:. i literally don’t even make my own bed.

19 Likes

Stand in their room each morning until its done…once they do it fir 2-3 weeks they shouldn’t need your physical reminders

1 Like

Way more important things to worry about. As long as isn’t a dirty with food or wet stuff their rooms are theirs.

8 Likes

I can’t believe all these lazy parents. No wonder so many kids are awful nowadays. Be consistent. Stand over them if need be. Take things away.

10 Likes

Seriously? Pick your battles.

9 Likes

March them back to their rooms everyday day once ready for school and tell them to do it!!

2 Likes

They’re kids honestly what do you expect? Unless you run your home like fort Knox forget it. You can ask but you won’t receive…

7 Likes

I can already see, from the few comments so far, why kids are the way they are today. Oh my goodness, you’re asking your kids to do a chore??? How dare you!!! Those poor kids… :rofl: I swear!!

Start taking things away until they start listening to you. Electronics…wifi… whatever it is that would bother them if they lost it. I hate it when parents say “my kids won’t listen to me”. They don’t listen to you because you’ve allowed them to not listen to you. Put your foot down and be the parent.

21 Likes

Get a bottle of vodka and
Give up
It won’t ever happen

3 Likes

Chores are required in my home. That doesn’t take away from their childhood. It’s learning responsibility. If they don’t do them, I don’t nag about it. I take away things with no yelling. One is 15 and one is 11. I’ll walk in and say “give me your phone”. That’s when they decide to beg and plead and say they’re gonna do it. And I just tell them they should’ve thought of doing it before. My daughter’s best friend texted her to come over, and I texted back saying “She won’t be coming over because she decided not to do the chores.” She was so embarrassed, she never missed a chore again. The whole taking away things only happened for about a week before they learned their lesson. I prepare my kids for the days I won’t be there for them. Work, college, etc. If a boss or teacher tells you do to something, you gotta do it or there are consequences.

3 Likes

Umm you shouldn’t make your bed anyway. Think about trapping everything in your bed every day. Finally my feeling it’s icky not to let your bed air out, many articles are available to show it’s better not to make your bed.

Quote: Researchers found a simple solution. Leaving the bed unmade allowed the moisture to dry up reducing the dust mites in the bed. If you don’t want to spend all day staring at a messy bed cleaning experts recommend waiting at least an hour before you make it.

10 Likes

Everyone is on here like pick your battles, let it go… WHAT??? Smh and you wonder why teachers are given zero respect and kids don’t listen worth a damn… she’s not asking for them to do much. It literally takes less than 2mins to make the bed

Take away privileges! Phones, iPads, money, going out time. They “forget” it’s an hour earlier they gotta be in for curfew. It’s not even the actual making the bed, it’s the fact that they are blatantly disregarding you and not doing as you ask.

5 Likes

My honest opinion? Mind your own business. That’s their room. It isn’t your concern unless there’s bugs from rotting food or whatever. How would you like it if someone came into your room demanding you decorate it how they want? Yuck.

27 Likes

Maybe help them until it becomes routine. Remind them.

Not a battle I choose in my house but to each their own. However something I make sure my kids do is turn of their lights and nightlight (because that light bill is high enough) and close their bedroom doors (the dog will go in there and chew their stuff or possibly pee). I just make it part of our before we leave the house checklist. Did you brush your teeth? Did you brush your hair? Did you turn off your lights? Did you close your bedroom door? And I ask them with ample time to complete the task without being late. We’ve had the dog for 2 years and I still remind every morning.

4 Likes

If mine don’t they get time out and they have time out

Get them up earlier, watch them each do it before they go to bathroom or get ready or eat

Honestly. There isn’t much time for our family in morning. I wouldn’t stress abt beds before school. It’s a burden to carry right before they need to focus. However responsibilities should still be instilled. We just come up with when you get home from school and have a snack then you will tidy your room. They will not have access to the remote, tablets or video games till there room is tidy. Now. If they decide they don’t want to clean there room we also don’t yell or anything. Hey well if you don’t tidy your room, that’s your choice. You only have the toys or books in your room to keep you occupied. If you want access to any electronics, you must pay the fee of a tidy room. For context my kids are young. 4 and 6. My 6 yr old is constant and doesn’t really have much to tidy.my 4 yr old is still learning . So his tidy list is shorter. Which is just put blanket and stuffies on bed, all toys don’t need to be sorted/organized but atleast off the floor.
The key is to remain consistent and have consequence equal to the behavior asked. There is no guess as to what happens when they decide not to tidy there room. The 4 yr old is the one who some days just puts up a fight but that is OK. He just doesn’t get his electronics and he understands and accepts it

4 Likes

My mom was like OP and I’m now in my 30s and never make my bed. Always clean, never made.
If this is a battle you choose just like anything, positive/negative reinforcement and consistency

2 Likes

Just tell them to do it, you are the adult in charge of the house.!

1 Like

Pick your battles, it’s really not an issue

1 Like

Schedule out your mornings and enforce it. :woman_shrugging: we have a written schedule of our mornings on my board in the kitchen and it starts with " 6-6:15 everyone up/make beds" and thats what they do. I also have 5 kids.

2 Likes

It’s called rules and enforcement

3 Likes

FUN FACT:

They actually recommend NOT making your bed in the morning!

17yrs later it ain’t happening….pick your battles.

1 Like

They should be following your rules and actually listening to their parents.
If they can’t then consequences will follow ie

• Wi-Fi will be turned off.
  • Early to bed.
  • Miss out on the weekly family take-out night?

These comments are WILLDDDD!!!

My 3 year old is made to pick up her toys and etc!!

I say they don’t make their beds in the morning then they lose something fun after school… snack time, tv time or whatever.

Put your foot down and stand your ground mama. && make sure your SO enforces this same
Rule on weekends and etc. to me
This is no different then them
Brushing their teeth, brushing their hair etc etc… :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I don’t see what the big deal is half the world doesn’t make their bed even adults.thetes bigger things to worry & be concerned about then making their dam bed

1 Like

People in these comments are crazy!!! Enforcing routine makes a responsible adult!! Period. Just be consistent. Wake up 10 minutes early if there no time. Beds should ALWAYS be made! No excuses especially for adults

26 Likes

I don’t make my kids make their beds. I feel it’s their bed they have to sleep in it. It’s less comfortable to sleep in an unmade bed. But that’s their choice. As long as there’s sheets & a pillow case that gets changed twice a week I’m good.

But it’s clearly important to you. I suggest penny jars. Simple jars from whatever you have empty. Make them small or draw a line on them to show where “full” is. They get a penny or other token each time they complete a task you want them to. When the jar reaches the line they get a reward. It can be a toy, money or something less tangible like a 1on1 day with mom, having a friend over for pizza whatever you & your children come up with. My daughter likes “Temu money” she enjoys picking things off Temu & getting the package with her name on it. Or doing a craft project. My son likes pizza :joy:

I would suggest you wake them maybe 15 min earlier than you used to… That could work

And this is why we have so many lazy ass people who don’t want to do any work.
Make your bed! Doesn’t have to be perfect, but at least cover it up with the comforter or quilt. It keeps it cleaner/less dusty. Takes less than a minute!

How about if YOU have to make it if they don’t, you “short-sheet” their beds?!?! Then when they have to remake them when they go to bed, they’ll likely think TWICE the next day before they run off? :smile:

Mine are still kinda small but once they get older I will help/teach them how to make their bed. My mom always made me make my bed and now I always HAVE to make it ro start my day. I feel disorganized and like I can’t start my day right if my bed isn’t made. Lol.

Who cares. As a kid I hated the freshly tucked flattened bed sheets and blankets. Took me forever to get comfortable. It’s their bed. I quit making my bed when I was 10 because it was miserable trying to fall asleep. My child is 10 and has never had to make his bed. All he is asked is that if his comforter ends up on the floor he picks it up so nobody trips when he runs in and out during the day. I get it’s maybe something you prefer and that’s fine but it’s also a small battle that isn’t worth the fight. They may decide one day they don’t like the messy bed and start doing it on their own.

1 Like

Man, most of these comments do not pass the vibe check. She’s not asking to give up, she’s asking for help. Most of this generation of parenting is lazy. Back in my day, the choice was do it or do it. There was no, I don’t want to. If we tried to pull that :poop: with my parents, there would’ve been consequences. My sister once “forgot” to clean the kitchen. What did my mom do? She banged on my sister’s door at 1AM, got her out of her room and made her clean the kitchen. My sister never forgot to clean the kitchen again. My suggestion to the OP is, actually watch your kids make their bed. If it’s not satisfactory, make them do it again. My parents used to that with us and our chores. They’ll eventually give in and start doing what’s asked of them. Also, consequences. Take away the WiFi, take away a favorite toy or activity until they show you they’re responsible and earn that back.

7 Likes

Each day they don’t make their bed they lose 1 hour of electronic use this means game systems cell phone tablet computer and if they don’t make their bed for a week then any upcoming school trips you’re not going

I’m reading these comments and I can’t see why we have a generation of lazy spoiled brats! Teaching kids responsibility at a young age goes a very long way ! They won’t grow to be entitled good for nothings! It’s not just about making a damn bed! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

2 Likes

The Make Your Bed Speech!!