How can I get my son to stop sucking his thumb?

How in the world can I get my son to stop sucking him thumb? He is 5 years old and wont stop

3 Likes

My daughter is 10 and still sucks her thumb when she needs comfort she also has a baby blanket which she’s had from birth… I wouldn’t ever stop her as it has done her no harm at all and she has gradually stopped herself from sucking her thumb a lot to only at night time or when she feels upset

You don’t, I did till I was like 10 :woman_shrugging:t3: It really shouldn’t bother you if it’s comfort for him

1 Like

He’ll stop when he is ready. Its a comfort thing. There are lots of different “chew/suck” toys out there for just this. Amazon, wish, whatever site online. You can encourage him towards those things. Good luck mama.

Leave him be. He’ll stop when he’s ready. It’s comforting to him right now.

1 Like

This device is the only thing that worked. It is a pain in the butt but the child can not get suction and therefore it is not serving the purpose. https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwifn4CUzr_7AhXB1oYKHZU1CtkYABAIGgJ2dQ&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESa-D2Y2b54GR21D6sdgkDtK4Jqo1Tjg56Zu2VJwtHP5C6OqYLXZ-HrjQXnBy-12rxgYGJ-mmOzT-VZ2jotwzNxMJFtvjT_lcioGdhYDj1yC0UdvAtxlj9G5hR-5MoLLxB-mTopjE2yiA_oRX5&sig=AOD64_23-VVf2RQTluTwYpLHdZwFdNC8Rw&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwju0viTzr_7AhWsUjABHQm1DZIQ9aACKAB6BAgIEF8&adurl=

It’s gross but it does the trick lol

Mavala stops worked for us . She stopped in 48 hours and never did it again lol

I ended up buying a glove from my child’s dentist to stop thumb sucking.

There’s a thing you can brush on his fingernails that will make it taste really bitter and he will stop

The more attention you give to him to get him to quit, the more attention you’re giving to his thumb. I say ignore his behavior, but if you’re concerned, definitely take him to his pediatrician.