How can i get my toddler to brush their teeth?

Hi, my daughter is two and a half years old and she hates brushing her teeth. She freaks out every time and will run away and throw herself on the floor and hide her face. Do any of you Mama’s have any tips on getting her to let me brush her teeth without it being a huge fight all the time. Thank you.

11 Likes

Let her help brush your teeth, too …make it fun

3 Likes

Let her pick out a toothpaste n toothbrush

5 Likes

Let her brush by herself maybe she wants to be independent

2 Likes

My three year old will let me brush her teeth if she can wash her hands and play in the water while I’m brushing. I barely let it trickle, just enough to make bubbles in the sink for her to pop. But there is still the occasional fight.

3 Likes

Tell her that she can brush them after you do. Let her watch you brush your teeth and show her it doesn’t hurt, make it fun. My baby boy likes to “spit” after he brushes his teeth.

2 Likes

I used to have to hold mine down to brush her teeth until she heard this song on YouTube not positive but I think its cocomelon (the channel) she started singing brush brush all the time and now she loves doing it herself.

4 Likes

I stand by the cocomelon YouTube videos never even heard of them before my son hated baths n brushing his teeth and those are my go to videos!!! Now he wants to help brush his teeth… just make it seem fun and U can brush ur teeth with her or have her help u brush urs to show her thay a how u clean it teeth :slight_smile:

5 Likes

On YouTube there is a baby channel "cocomelon ". My son will be 2 in a couple weeks and LOVES brushing his teeth, baths, eating just about everything, and already.knows ABC and 1-10. Just from these shows. Highly recommend

5 Likes

Maybe try an electric toothbrush?

3 Likes

I brush my girls teeth then I put tiny more toothpaste in it and I let them chew or brush there own teeth for 5 more minutes.

2 Likes

Let her pick her own tooth brush, come up with a song and dance for 2 mins, have her help you, let her be independent.

1 Like

We told the kids the sugar bugs would eat their teeth. Google rotten teeth pics and show your kid what her/ his teeth will look like.

1 Like

Elmo toothbrush song on YouTube !!

4 Likes

My husband and I brush our teeth with our son. He likes to watch us brush and imitate us. We make it fun by singing “this is the way we brush our teeth, so early in the morning” he also likes to put his toothpaste on his brush himself, and spit, and rinse by himself. We show our teeth in the mirror together and say “SO CLEAN!” he loves it. Make it a game, let her do it herself. I stand by the Cocomelon cartoons on YouTube also.

2 Likes

I have the Disney Magic timer and it has helped my daughter brush her teeth for years.

1 Like

New things are scary for them. Find teeth brushing books and movies, when you brush yours make sure she’s watching so you can show her it’s safe, and try to take her to the store to pick out her own toothbrush with a character she’d like and the same with tooth paste

1 Like

We sing that song Ariel did when the sea witch took her voice… give es me just enough time to do for her.

1 Like

Orajel has a finger sleeve tooth brush for kids/their gums. You could let her put it on her finger and rub her teeth and tongue. Maybe she needs a softer toothbrush too.

1 Like

I had to just hold mine down and brush their teeth. When they realized mama wasn’t gonna skip brushing their teeth they stopped fighting it.

2 Likes

Does she like baby shark song? We sing that song in the bath when I want her to wash body parts

1 Like

I sit him down on the lid of the toilet with both his and my tooth brush in my hands and we brush together. He’s a Mama’s boy and will only do it for me lol

1 Like

I duo it, I have two brushes, one for me and one for her. I encourage her to try on her own. Of course I have to get in there. I tell her the importance of why we brush. I tell her you missed a spot and get in there a lil bit. It took time from when she started from kicking and screaming from the start.

1 Like

I start my babies chewing on a toothbrush about 4 months… so they just do it… my teenager on the other hand… :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Try and see if she likes those teeth that have the teeth brushing app my middle one didnt like it till she got the tooth brush that only sang the song if she brushed her teeth right

1 Like

I just got my 1½ and 2½ year olds electric toothbrushes. The cheap store brand ones. Just to see if they would like those any more than the regular toothbrushes and so far so good. They race each other up the stairs to brush their teeth every night now.

1 Like

My daughter hated it also. We got fluoride free toothpaste and just let her play with it all the, even outside the bathroom.

1 Like

You can try a finger brush. Or take her to the store and let her pick out her own toothpaste, mouthwash and toothbrush. They have some really cool ones now that light up, play music and ones with stickers she can decorate to make her own.

1 Like

A girl I work with use to have issues brushing her daughters teeth, come to find out she had a couple cavities starts along the gum line. Where they were made her teeth really sensitive. They put some kind of brush on seal, which turned the cavities black (thankfully their not big so it’s not very noticeable), but she hasn’t had any issues since. Has she been to a dentist, there maybe more going on than just not brushing her teeth.

2 Likes

A small electrical tooth brush an let her play with it throughout the day

2 Likes

I bought my middle child an electric toothbrush. He took to it better than the original. Hope you find something that helps. Maybe make a game out of it or find some teeth brushing songs 🤷

1 Like

Let her watch you and see if she wants to do it with you

1 Like

I use the take turns, I let my daughter try first then I say now its moms turn. And it seems to be working.

1 Like

We “tickle” our teeth at the same time. I let them brush mine, I brush theirs. No fighting.

1 Like

My daughter is 2. I let her brush them herself first, then I tell her it’s mommy’s turn, then I brush them. It let’s her be independent at first, then she let’s me help her

2 Likes

She only has to brush teeth she wants to keep. Worked on my son. Showed him pic of tooth decayed & missing teeth

1 Like

I just said to my two-year-old that can I see inside your mouth and then I would kind of put the fear in them and say that there’s bugs in their mouth and I need to get them out LOL

2 Likes

Try color changing mouth wash…it works

1 Like

Buy a toothbrush that plays music for her at dollar store. Worked wonders for my kiddo!

1 Like

There isn’t any one thing that works. I tried it all, cool toothbrushes, color changing toothpaste, rewards, etc. It was always a fight no matter what I did until one day she just woke up at around 3 years old wanting to brush her teeth.

2 Likes

Tooth brushing songs on YouTube, get her fav toy to “help brush”… make it fun!

1 Like

Elmo makes it happen every time.

2 Likes

my granddaughter is 3 and i found that the tooth brushes you can get at walmart that light for a couple of minutes worked wonderfully. they push the button and it flashes which they like. they are a couple of bucks in the kid part of the toothbrush isle.

1 Like

Fruit flavored toothpaste and brush yours with her. Try letting her learn how to do it herself. Sometimes it helps. Tell her she won’t be able to eat nothing without any teeth.

1 Like

They make children’s toothbrushes, by a company called Firefly, that play music and/ or light up until brushing time is up. Make it fun! Get one like hers and like others said, let her watch you and show her how you do it. Also, get yummy flavors.

1 Like

They have cheapy kids electric toothbrush in Walmart. Like five bucks. That and kid toothpaste. I played with her with the toothbrush first, tickling her face and stuff so it wasn’t scary. That being said, she only became totally willing when she had to be put under to fill her two front teeth. Then I told her if I couldn’t brush her teeth, she’d have to go back

1 Like

When my daughter was little they made orange toothpaste at a certain store. Then she started asking for toothpaste for Christmas!!! Lol

1 Like

Let her pick her own toothbrush. If she likes it she’s more likely to be excited to use it.

1 Like

I got a light up tooth brush that plays music for my 3yr old daughter. She loves it and will now tell me that she needs to brush them.

1 Like

I tell my 3 year old there are sugar bugs in his mouth and we have to catch them with the brush or they will eat his teeth. Kinda made it a game, chasing them top to bottom, etc.

3 Likes

No candy cookies or fruit until you brush your teeth can’t brush your teeth can have them no sweets whatsoever until you brush your teeth young lady

2 Likes

Brush your teeth with her . I do this with both of my kids . My oldest daughter is 12 in August, youngest daughter is 3 .

1 Like

I will suggest singing and giving her a reward afterwards, she will start to look forward to this task. If she still refuses, once she is asleep take a finger tooth brush and clean her teeth and use a hand towel to clean her teeth.

1 Like

Omg my daughter was like this! Just keep at it I think it’s just weird for them!

1 Like

My 16 month old watches me brush mine which makes her want to do hers as i was having problems with getting her to allow me to do it where as she would allow her grandma to do it. So try letting her see you do it to see if that will encourage her to

1 Like

I got my son an electric tooth brush so it was more like mine with Batman on it. I tell him that Batman wants to clean his teeth and he’s cool with it. We also use Colgate’s children’s tooth paste (berry sparkle blast or something)

2 Likes

Agree with all the comments about cocomelon! Little baby bum and fisher price puppy have songs about brushing teeth, tub and getting ready for bed/the day too…my daughter loves them and when I sing them to her about doing the tasks she joins in and is all for it!

1 Like

I let my 2 year old brush her own teeth in the morning and at night she gets to brush mine and I get to brush hers.

1 Like

There is an app that helps. You can buy it on amazon and it’s a toothbrush that connects to your phone and tells them how to brush and where and for how long. My nephew loves his

1 Like

Mine is same way. I’ve bought every toothbrush out there. I’ve sang songs tried to make it funny. She just hates it. We just have to hold her down.

2 Likes

Maybe start with this Banana toothbrush and make it fun x

2 Likes

We started super young and he always brushes his teeth with me. I told him it gets the germs out now when the toothpaste tingles his mouth he tells me he can feel the germs jumping and he brushes well. My son is 2.5

1 Like

Tom’s of Maine has nice kids toothpaste without a lot of fake sugar.

1 Like

flavored toothpaste? Bubblegum, etc. Let her taste it then put on toothbrush.

1 Like

My son like spearmint.

1 Like