How can I get my toddler to listen?

Time out? Slap his hands when told not to touch the things. You’ll need to do consistent time out so explain why he’s going to time out and put him on a chair or step or a spot on a floor and if he gets out you take him back and repeat the process but each time u take him back to time out you don’t say nothing and once he’s done 3 minutes in time out without leaving time out you get to his level and explain again why he was in time out and give him a hug. And each time he doesn’t listen you do the time out again at the same spot. This also goes for the store etc too if he acts out at the store and touches thing and he does it after being warned you find a spot at the store on the floor or a bench and you put him in time out. Time out doesn’t happen only at home. Once he sees you guys are consistent and he has consequences like time out he will understand if I do this and mommy/daddy said no I’ll go to time out. But like I said you need to be consistent the whole time

8 Likes

Put him in the corner facing the wall each time he acts up… Works well

2 Likes

Going through this myself with a headstrong toddler. But my kiddo is on the spectrum (autism) and usually adhd comes along with autism. Depending on the severity of the behavior I’d say get your son checked out.

2 Likes

Ugh, I see you and feel your frustrations mama :heart: I have 4 kiddos and this is definitely the age where they begin to “test limits” and push buttons :face_exhaling:

Just like Ashley Riley suggested, slap hands or flick, time outs! She couldn’t have explained it more perfectly!

As she said too, consistency is key! It may take time and test your patience, but it’ll be worth it :heart:

Take a deep breath and don’t be afraid to put yourself on a “time out” to collect yourself as it can make your mind go bonkers :heart:

6 Likes

Few months ago i got a little problem with my lover which make me and him to break up and i am very happy for Dr Mighty to give me a chance for me to smile again right now i am very happy to get my lover back with Dr. mighty love spell. WhatsApp him for more info (+2348161569177)Or His Facebook page … You can reach him through this official page by clicking the link below​:point_down::point_down::point_down: Redirecting...

move important things till hes older n keep on doing punishment time out ect

One child proof your house. Take him to a park . Let play for awhile tire him out.

4 Likes

Have him checked 4 adhd…those are some signs of it

6 Likes

You’ll have to childproof your house for now. Put up valuables so he can’t break them. Other things, you’ll have to give his rear a little swat and sit him on a chair in the corner and make him sit there for a few minutes. You’ll have to keep doing that until he gets the idea that when you say no you mean no. When he comes out of the corner, try to interest him in his own things. Tell him he is allowed to play with those things. If he continues to be stubborn, take him to his room and put him to bed. Don’t say anything except to tell him to stay there.

5 Likes

Redirection, don’t give him trouble say “hey let’s do this” or “hey look at this toy” haha it may work but good luck, parenting is never easy

2 Likes

I would try to find something else fir them to do. Even now with my grandson. Toddlers done like to be told no. Now, if they are doing something that is a legit safety issue, like running into traffic, then I ran up behind him, grabbed him, made a loud noise, swung him around fast, and told him he almost got hit by a car. He was 3-4. I said you never saw that car coming. There really wasn’t a car, but he didn’t know that. I scared him!! Then later on, he said mommy, thank you fir saving my life, and he never ran off in the parking lot again.

1 Like

3 year olds are not capable of even being defiant, they are learning. Negative attention is still attention, he may just be looking for attention. Seeing people talk about their kids this way hurts my heart. He clearly just wants some attention.

6 Likes

He is a preschooler and needs to touch and explore. Set him up for success and make an area that he climb and touch and build and dump and pour!

Watch some Super Nanny videos, the naughty spot technique works wonders if you’re consistent. You must be consistent every time though

You need help and some parenting classes
Toddlers are gonna toddle my dude

1 Like

Child proof area child is in.
There’s things my son isn’t allowed to touch I say no an get him to sit on the floor. When he moves to get up I say nope an sit him back down… few minutes I let him get up an play.

Tell him what makes u happy “toys away”. Or I like when u play with ur toys “praise them”.
When they touch things say it makes u sad. They get the hang of it.

Find different activities to keep occupied - drawing, playing outside, reading books together, dancing, blocks, etc

You can’t, try again when he’s 33 :rofl::rofl:

6 Likes

I gave my daughter her own little toy/play area. I showed her that that was HER stuff and she needed to be gentle with others things (I didn’t say ‘gentle’ as much with her own stuff). Also, I did natural consequences for the touching/destroying our stuff. Also being a bit ‘annoying’ about it. teaching phrases or little song that’ll help him remember. I’m also a believer in “mention then redirect”.

“You were TOO ROUGH with mommy’s music box and NOW it’s broken. We have to be GENTLE with other’s things. Now, here are YOUR toys and books. Let’s play with those instead.” And just repeating those. and if she still goes in that area after that first redirection. it’s an immediate no.

You need to redirect the behavior to what he can do, and what he can climb.

2 Likes

Put things up/away, child proof, gates, locks, section off areas that he likes to climb on, and pray that he grows out of it because mine still hasn’t lol.

You can have him behaviorally assessed if you believe his behaviors are more extreme than others.

Who is the parent ??? Your punishments aren’t working, obviously. What does he care for?? What doesn’t he like?? These are your first steps. Also, it seems like more park time is in order.

4 Likes

There are ways to manufacture the behavior you expect from your toddler but it takes consistency in your daily routine until he demonstrates that he understands his role and what is expected.
Simply put
When he’s repetitive you have to be repetitive

3 Likes

Redirection. I’m not sure why people on here act like a 3 yr old has the same listening skills as an 8 yr old or older.

2 Likes

You want a better financial life then should reach out to Mrs Elizabeth James. SHe helped me get out of my debt and now I earn 5 figures weekly from my Crypto investment. I really hope more people get on board and you can simply click on the link below to connect with her.
:point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down:

Thank you Mrs Elizabeth James I don`t believe I can be a owner of such amount in this cashless period thank you a lot for saving my life Your work speaks volumes of the kind of woman you are thank you so much for the profit .

1 Like

This is wonderful, and never my expectations. I still can’t believe what happened to me, I’m just happy today because of Your work speaks volumes of the kind of woman you are thank you so much for the profit

1 Like

You can’t, try again in a few years lol. But in all seriousness it’s normal and most kids are ninja Godzilla monkeys at that age.

5 Likes

I’m so excited now I can at least pay my bill and take good care of my family Thank you Mrs Elizabeth James for you have brought happiness to me and my family through your experiences in Cryptocurrency hit her dm on how to invest

I started with small capital but now I earn huge profits.
This platform can help you prepare for the future and make you financially stable.
I doubted but I tried and I got my earnings.
Give it a try now while you can, no room for regrets because they have put smiles on the faces of so many investors.You can contact her via the link below
:point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down:
Elizabeth James

I’m so happy I got my profits from Mrs Elizabeth James online investment Trade I just want to share the goodness of Mrs Elizabeth James to me and my Family may God bless you madam if you are interested you can Contact her and ask her HOW she Helped me invest because I have earn a lot which I didn’t expect from her…
Click on the links and send me her How to invest

Watch super nanny! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Child proof, patience, and love

Hes 3…what were you expecting ?
Put dangerous things away till hes old enough to listen and remember.

1 Like

U have to put things out of reach,by example

I’am making over $140 an hour working online with 2 kids at home. I never thought I’d be able to do it but my best friend earns over $ 19314 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The potential with this is endless

Chk This—>> https://AmazingJobs444.pages.dev/

Unfortunately welcome to the threenage years. But don’t listen to people who say you can do nothing. This is the best year to start enforcing more rules. Time outs, calm down times, and lots of positive reinforcement. When all a kids hears is NOOOO. And DONT DO THAT. Why don’t you ever listen?! It’s a big change hearing YOURE DOING GREAT!!! Mommy is soooo proud of you!! Here’s a big hug!
If he’s climbing on something dangerous you can try a timeout for three minutes since he’s three years old or even start at 1 minute, just to get the idea of a
timeout started and then work up to 1 minute per year old. Then ANYTIME you notice he’s being safe or playing nicely over compensate with positive words abs praise especially at first. So if you ask him to get down and he does say good job!!! Nice listening! High five! Or give him a hug. Or if he’s playing calmly say wow I love how calmly your playing great job I’m so proud of you! Keep it up.
If you don’t want him touching things explain too instead of “don’t touch that!” Say those are mommy
And daddy’s special things. Here’s somethings you can play with and switch it out with something else.
Just somethings that have helped me that I’ve learned from behavioral services. Hope helps!

1 Like