How can I get my toddler to poop in the toilet?

Three is young. I would seek out potty training advice via Google pediatrician advice.
I agree with the consensus that he’ll poop when he’s ready.

I set my little guy up at the coffee table with the iPad and water, a snack and his potty as a chair (we don’t normally let him watch anything on the iPad). I leave it there all day, and tell him if he wants to watch the iPad he has to sit on the potty and try to poop! It’s been a week and so far he’s doing great! Also watching for cues, and having him hang out with no pants on is super helpful too! I also made a little treat bucket and he gets a small treat for pee and a big one for poops! Good luck!!

It’s come with time. My daughter made herself so constipated she was a mess. We put her own potty in her room and from then on she’s gone in it

A stranger told me one time to put cheerios in the toilet and have him aim to pee on them and for pooping tell him to sink the cheerio. Sooo gross lol but she said it worked for her kids. Haven’t tried that with my son as he is not of potty-training age yet.

If he wants to poop put him on the loo.then make a game u “push” in a funny way and tell him to do it also.my son is 3 he is off the nappy day and night and i can drive long way he doesnt go in his pants.even if he makes a oops stil take him to the loo let him play with a toy or something.or u can put a potty in the bathroom if daddy goes let him go with and let them see who can push the hardest

Use a child size toilet.
They sell them at Walmart and target.
My oldest was the same.
They are more comfortable when they can sit squat like.
:woman_shrugging:

This might sound harsh to some, but with my son, he pooped in his pants the first time and we took him outside and hosed his pants and bare butt with cold water. He never did it again after that. That was a couple months ago and now he just goes on the toilet when he has to go, or tells us and we take him.

1 Like

When my daughter would soil herself, we would matter-of-factly hand her wipes and a new change of clothes and tell her to take care of it. She was old enough to do it, but it was a power struggle with her. She liked the attention of the diaper change. Once we started not giving her the attention she craved and made her take responsibility for cleaning up the mess, she trained very quickly.

1 Like

My grand baby hates showers so I give him a shower every time he poops himself, no bath, it has to be a shower. It has worked wonderfully so far. I tried candy and telling him to poop a snake and everything I could think of. Try different things until you find what works for him.

I made “poop” out of chocolate frosting and had my kid’s stuffed animals “poop” in the potty. Just hide the balls of frosting in your hand and drop them in behind the animal. Frosting is totally flushable. And once they saw their stuffed animals do it they could not wait to do it too!!

2 Likes

I just wanted to tell you that unfortunately my son didn’t stop pooping in his pants until he was 5 years old!! I guess it’s just a part of raising children, but he will eventually stop, don’t worry. I don’t believe that discipline or punishment helps it either. Hang in there and just try to enjoy him while he is young. They grow up so fast, I wish I could go back to that time.:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::kissing_heart::kissing_heart:

My daughter did this. If you try to rush them if will take longer to potty train. It will happen when they are ready. I tried everything a new toy, stickers, candy ect. My advice is don’t rush them. My daughter was potty trained at 4 years old. My son was ready sooner at 3 years old. Each child is different.

When my son was being potty train, we used a portable potty. We lived in a house with window AC. The bathroom was hot as can be. So we allowed him to use his potty while watching his favorite shows. He loved watching Mikey Mouse, Paw Patrol, and other cartoons. He loved the fact we also praised him for being a “big boy”. He was trained with in one week and never had one accident.

My son was the same way. I started putting him on the pot in front of the tv to watch his favorite shows and each time he did it I reward him. I had totally ran out of options. I even asked his pediatrician.

Dont buy pull ups or diapers buy big boy undies and if tbey have an accident make them help you clean them yes a 2 and a half yr old can help wash by hand after the poop is rinsed out

1 Like

Have him go naked. That’s the only thing that worked for ours! Took about a week but now he is potty trained and we had been “training” for about 6 months with no success with pooping.

My 3rd child, 2nd daughter did this. She would pee all day long in the toilet but refused to poop in it no matter what I did. So I gave up and figured she would “do it in her own time”. No didnt work either. I never was able to figure out why she refused to go poop in the toilet. Honestly, she didnt really go in her pull up either. It was just those little deer pellets. When she was 3 1/2, I ended up taking her to the dr to find out she was severely constipated and impacted. Doc said put her on mirilax. So we did 2 times a day for a year with no results. She was getting to where she couldn’t hardly eat because it would make her stomach hurt. Took her back to the doc. She said keep doing the mirilax. No, I dont think so. Took her to a different dr. He was very concerned about her. Said to get a bottle of magnesium sulfate and have her drink half the bottle. Wait until a certain time and then if nothing happened give her the rest. She ended up having to drink the whole bottle. She finally went to the bathroom. And when she did, it was awful. It smelled like something died. I felt so bad for her. By the time we did this, she was 5. She only needed that one bottle of magnesium. She never had a problem after that.

I sat my son’s on the toilet backwards. They loved flushing the toilet and watching the poop disapear. Could only flush if they pooped, not pee.

My daughter didn’t start pooping in the toilet until she was 3.5. She was simply afraid to do it. I tried everything (stickers, singing with her while she sat on the toilet, allowed her to watch her favourite utube on my phone) and nothing I did worked… She began to hold it, which isn’t good for her body. So I allowed her a nappy each time she needed to poop. She would take it in her room and come out when she needed changing. While changing the nappy I would greatly encourage her. Telling her how clever and brave she is and that one day she would poop in the toilet like the rest of the family… this took a few months. Then she decided on her own and just did it.

My grand daughter had a bucket with a variety of treats that she got to choose from each time she pooped on potty. If she did it in pants she got nothing.

my grandson refused to poo in the toilet until he was 8 we never did figure out what his problem was.

Usually all kids have a tell …a look a place…if you see it take them to the bathroom and sit them down …maybe give them a book so they aren’t bored …they with them if they want

I’m having the same problem with my 81 yr old mother.

They will do it when they are ready

Hell do when he does it. My son was the same

Start marking the time your child poops after he eats. As a teacher I have noticed kids often poop 30-45 minutes after eating. Once you figure out the timing, place him on the toilet about 5 minutes before the normal time. This might help.