How can I get my toddler to sleep through the night?

Our kid is 4 and has never slept through the night… oh, maybe actually 3 times, only in recent months.
She goes to bed with a melatonin, puts her to sleep quick, but always wakes between 1030 and 2. Then ends up in our bed. No matter what we try or do. If we try the cry it out to make her stay in her bed she spews.

Following my two year old has recently started doing this

1 Like

I think all kids just go through stages. They go back to waking up all hours of the night and then they go back to sleeping. Sometimes my kids sleep in sometimes they get up at 5 am. :woman_shrugging:t2:

Unfortunately this is a thing with some kids… We loose a ton of sleep as parents, not really much to do honestly bit deal with it. My son is almost 15 and was the most amazing sleeper, self soothed, slept through the night from like 6 months old. My 3 year old however, I can probably count on one hand how many times she’s slept through the night. She’s never self soothed, I spend an hour or 2 each night getting her to sleep, then she wakes up a couple hours later and I’m stuck sleeping in her bed to get her back down. I spend most nights sleeping with her in her bed. I don’t like co-sleeping so I continue to put her in her bed and unfortunately have to deal with the 2 of is in her single… Their all different we deal

Charlotte Lewsley in case it doesn’t improve one day lol

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How can I get my toddler to sleep through the night? - Mamas Uncut

Have you tried a strict schedule? And nice relaxing things before bed. A bubble bath with bedtime bath or other calming scents.

1 Like

sleep oils, certain alarm clocks where the picture goes from sleeping to awake to show what u should be doing, lavender bath times, try putting your shirt down with her? (my kids sometimes have nights where they cant sleep so they snuggle up to my jersey i wore that day and helps them drift off cause it smells like theyr getting cuddles from mum. is it fully dark in the room - may possibly be waking up from light?? Does she wake happily or unsettled etc? Could also be diet related. Honestly hun there are sooo many possibilities and potential solutions. I hope you find something to help. My sons adhd and eventually i just gave up and put him in with me when he was young and that helped him sleep through the night.

Two is ROUGH. So many developmental changes and sleep gets thrown off like crazy. Hang in there, Mama. This too shall pass!

11 Likes

My daughter did this and she ended up having sleep apnea and needed her tonsils and adenoids removed. No sleep problems since!

3 Likes

A pure lavender oil diffused. Young Living has other oils that help with sleep and even have a children’s blend that you can apply. Back of neck, end of big toe.

My doctor told me & my daughter to take melatonin because we both have problems sleeping. It’s safe for me and her to take because it’s natural and helps the body produce more melatonin to fall asleep & stay asleep :+1:t3:

3 Likes

My Son would wake up and cry - I would walk in quietly ( don’t put a light on) gently scoop him up and rock him slowly back & forth in my arms - in about 5-10 minutes he would relax and I gently put him back in his crib :woman_shrugging:it always worked on those few nights he woke up - mind you he slept through the night from the day I brought him home from the hospital- I nursed and when they brought him to me for the 2 & 4 or 5 o’clock am feeding I would NOT wake him up if he fell asleep nursing- the nurses told me to tap the bottom of his feet to wake him when he did that but I never would - my thought was if the poor baby was tired LET HIM SLEEP - they had to wind up having to bring him in to me around 7 am for a feeding because he wasn’t on THEIR schedule- oh well it worked out great for Mom & Son :+1::+1::+1:

6 Likes

Don’t turn the lights on. Sit in a chair (dont lay w her) (shell like it and want to enjoy ur lovenz everynight) shhhh her anytime she talks. Explain its sleepy time n shhhh not here to play or talk.

12 Likes

I would only give water at these hours and rock them back to sleep at this age. Stary your night time routine ab hour later :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I swear by kids melatonin. Their dr approved it. They take kids pure z and they wake up refreshed and sleep thru the night. Tbh I just called my Dr and asked no reason for a visit unless your dr wants you to come in. But just try calling and asking might save you a visit.

Kids sleep patterns continue to change periodically, mine never slept through until preschool, maybe up your childs activity level during the day, a big play in the afternoon then wind down for dinner bath book and bed, not too much tv time, calming the atmosphere after dinner helps, when she gets up put her back to bed, have a really soft glow night light, all i can say is try it dont give up, because at the moment you are allowing her to stay up when she wakes, so she thinks she can, reverse it and take her back to bed, each time and tell her its bedtime and sleep time, it works, you will get through this, shes just feeling out what she can and cant do

4 Likes

Sleep regression is a natural thing as they develop more and become aware of not being with you. I used to give my kids my pj too from the previous night to snuggle with mums smell helps. No orange juice or orange cordial after 5pm makes them need to toilet more this could be waking her. Less daytime naps try 2 shorter ones 30mins max. Keep her room darker and no talking or fun stuff. Also a clock with a wake up time helped my kids similar to a dementia clock with day and night on it. It’s rough but when she wakes keep quiet clean a wet nappy or use the toilet / potty if trained. Lay her back in bed redo your usual night routine favourite story or song. Then leave the room. We had to do the increased time between entering. Wait five minutes go back in kiss cuddle and lay back down calm her and repeat increased intervals each time going up in five minutes. By the time you get to half hour they usually are asleep. If she is overly crying or your worried of course go in sooner if badly distressed. My youngest had asthma so always a struggle between attention and chest problems. Mine are now 10 15 and 18 all love quiet bed time routine and a cuddle and story or favourite tv show with mum for an hour before bed when ever possible.
Last tip trust yourself it’s your baby and you know best hope you get there soon. Best of luck keep going mama xxx

Perhaps a weighted blanket or quilt her size… (denim and quilt material works for homemade)… it’s helped my kiddo…

3 Likes

No advice but my daughter is the SAME EXACT WAY. Shes don’t it her whole life (she’s only 20mo) but we have spurts where she goes to sleep fine and wakes up at 10-12 and is up for hourrrrs. I’ve brought it up to the doctor and they really have nothing to say about it so interested to here some responses. Hugs mama i know it’s so tough

2 Likes

Try to minimize caffeine and sugar intake. My son had similar sleeping issues and we now have a diagnosis for Autism and a developmental delay. Try the melatonin lotion and bubble bath. If that doesn’t work, contact your pediatrician.

And my toddler wouldn’t sleep the night she had toys in a quiet place she knew she could play quietly until she was tired again if she left her room or made noise she would have to go into bed and stay there

I suggest that you give her a night time snack ,that’s what I did for my they never slept good on an empty stomach . You can also try a small cup of warm mike . Good luck and Bless you

The normal… limit sugar and caffeine. No tv after bath. Bath one hour before bed time…look for soap with lavender. They make it for babies. Play low volume classical music. Light classical… music, no singing.

2 Likes

I have no kids but I do help but my neice and nephews to bed and what helped was have them nap maybe once or twice in the day and have them be very active through out the day and taking them a bath at night. But toddlers arent all the same some just have trouble sleeping through out the night just try to be constent with and try to nap when they nap to get more sleep in

Do you sleep with her till she falls asleep?
If so that could be it.
A routine is crucial as well .
A favorite blanket or toy helps or a small nite light.

4 Likes

Shorten her afternoon nap. Watch sugar intake. Try not to get her excited when see wakes up. Might try classical music on low when she go to bed, leave it on all night. Listen to the music with her and have her close her eyes while she listens. and ask if she see and hears a story in the music. Choose short easy works. Peter and the wolf. Cinderella. Stemulate her . imagination and the wonder of music.

3 Likes

Check with her doctor about allergies. We discovered he had the same allergies I have (dust/mold). We put on on Zyrtec and the difference was amazing!

My daughter has nights were she doesn’t sleep very well and is 2. Is ur little one just wake or crying? Little one hungry, thirsty, want mommy, need a butt change,or just has energy? Answer those questions then go from there. I personally wouldn’t give my child melatonin to go to bed but that’s me. Usually when mine get up in middle of night it’s because her 2 yr molars are bothering her. I give her Tylenol and a cold drink to help. Read her a extra story book rub her face and talk soothingly to her. And tell her it’s ni ni time and put her bk to bed no lights.

I had this twice aswell with my daughter who is 2. She had huge growth spurt and it settled after 2.5 weeks, exhausting!
A lot of kids stop to have their afternoon sleep with 2 years, so that would be another option to look into

Does she sleep a lot during the day. If so try to keep her awake and busy. She will be more tired and hopefully sleep more. My daughter was told by the pediatrician to give her 2 boys Melatonin. Might want ask her doctor about it. Does she cry or want to play. If she is playing I would make sure she is safe and let her play, have baby monitor on just in case she needs something , you can hear her. Good luck.

1 Like

My 2 year old sleeps through the night with a fan. Second it turns off he’s up.

2 Likes

No naps before 2. Get her super tired during the day. Keep her up till about 9 pm for the first couple nights and up at 6 am. But make sure she has a nap during the day. Before 2. Do like at 12 then have her sleep until 2. It takes a little while. I went through this and this routine is what helped me keep my sanity. It was hard at first cause she was super duper cranky. But it works and stays that way for a while. Then you can star dropping it down to about 8 and up at 7. But the key is the nap. Anything after 2 or no nap keeps them up at night. Or they’ll take a nap at night and sleep a couple hours then be up ready to play. Good luck!

5 Likes

Children’s melatonin approved by her pediatrician

I’m 65 and I have the same problem :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

3 Likes

Needs routine and a strict bedtime. Watch diet no sugar or processed crap. Make sure she gets physical during the day. Wear her out.

No afternoon naps and let her get tired playing . At bedtime there shld be quiet snd no lights on.

O n most importantly …no playing during sleep hours n keep it dark dim.n the baby will get the idea .believe me their smart.

2 Likes

My daughter didn’t sleep through the night until she started Kindergarten.

1 Like

Try keeping her up for most of the day and and a 30 minute nap in the morning

I’d like to know too ive had almost 12 months of no sleep

No napping during the day.

1 Like

Zarbees liquid melatonin it’s natural and I use it for my son whose two who use to wake up in the middle of the night screaming

How much sugar getting before bed time? I’m not talking Candy etc. Normal food. Time of last meal. Don’t feed after 6

Melatonin works great. They have gummies

1 Like

Aww bless I’ve just got mine into cot in own room second night not done too badly

It’s hard to say without knowing her schedule, but keeping a routine helps. I know it’s hard but if you can do lunch nap dinner bathtime bedtime routine at the same time every night, that might help. Also no naps or sugar after 3PM. No caffeine at all. Some background or white noise or music and dim night light.

1 Like

Valium……for u not her :grimacing:

Don’t let your toddler sleep day time .

Calcium vitamin magnesuim,Is she getting this food supplement in her diet.

Make sure she’s bored, not entertained and no food or drink, don’t make it worth her while.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How can I get my toddler to sleep through the night? - Mamas Uncut

3 Likes

Does she nap during the day a lot? You may have to cut down on the nap time if she does. Try rain sounds/calming sounds during the night and see how that turns out. Good luck Mama.

1 Like

I’m a father of 3 went through this. My advice is melatonin sounds harsh but babies just don’t have a concept of time ya know

1 Like

Your moaning cos your 2 year old doesnt sleep and your tired? Jeeez Ive a 4 year old that doesnt sleep through every night but I dont moan. Its part of being a parent. Deal with it.

Routine, melatonin and doctors :sleeping: i hope you find answers!

Don’t understand the one angry face. :thinking:

redundancy & routine.

melatonin 1mg or 3mg work great😄 you cab even get them in gummies

1 Like

I give my 4 year old melatonin gummy’s… he gets one every night as he goes to bed … I got them right at Walmart,

1 Like

No naps during the day.

1 Like

Try stop letting her nap during the day?? My youngest wouldnt sleep through the night if he took a nap during the day ever since the age of 2. On the other hand my oldest needed a nap during the day until he was 5yrs old but slept all night.

1 Like

She could be waking up hungry, try a milk and cereal ( low sugar ) right before bed .

1 Like

Maybe try the “No Cry Sleep Solution” it really helped me.

With my daughter who is turning 3 in September was like this till she was 1 and half years old. We stopped giving her milk to drink at while she was in bed and we moved her bed time from 8 to 9pm and she had slept through the night the since. We also cut her naps down to one a day usually around 12:30/1 till about 2-2:30pm. And she usually wakes up any time between 7-8:30am. She’s always been an early raiser in the mornings

1 Like

My daughter is over 21/2 years old and sleeps threw the night unless she has a nightmare. It just takes time my daughter never use too and then one day she just started and she only gets a morning nap.

Melatonin might help

I would not recommend using melatonin every night because after a while I’ve heard it can make your body stop producing the natural melatonin. Every now and then is fine but it is not a permanent solution.

2 Likes

Cutting out daytime naps worked for us. Now she sleeps 11-12 hours a night

But her a teddy bear night light

Put some toys in her crib; when she wakes up she’ll play, then fall back a sleep, worked with my kids

If she naps make them shorter.push her bedtime back alittle. Is her room dark or do u lave a night light on? I would try the opposite of what u have now.
Maybe some soft music or rain sounds. Good luck.

I would allow my toddler to nap for about 20 min during the day and keep them awake as much as I can after that. I never had an issue with them sleeping the entire night.

Does she nap? Stop afternoon naps if so. I got a lot of flack from my family but when mine where younger I let them stay up later than normal. Not like midnight but say 9:30-10ish. It helped wear them down better. Also she may not be eating heavy enough. I used to leave dinner out so that when they asked for snacks I would make them eat dinner again and then some sort of dessert right before bed.

1 Like

Routine of 1-2 things maybe its a story, prayer time and/ or snuggles. consistsncy and no budging when toddlers want to get up. Absolutely, no backing down and no stalling. Expectation of going to sleep is a must. They had to stay in their beds at all times. Consistency with same time and same ritual helps them to know what to expect. Pretty soon their body clocks will kick in and they start falling asleep sooner each time.

My almost two year old has been doing the same thing for a couple of months. I would hesitate to remove the daytime nap this early but would consider shortening it and looking at making sure there is enough wake time before bed. We are doing trial and error and hope to fix this soon. Good luck!

1 Like

Melatonin liquid drops my daughter didn’t sleep good I asked her doctor he said it was fine

I think that’s a good question and not one I had to have answered. We sleep trained at 7 months and she is 7 yo now and has slept through the night ever since 7 months. I’m sure your tired, what part of sleep routine is your toddler starting to fight? Toddlers need 12 hours of sleep.

Does your toddler take a nap during the day?? If so stop that and you might see a difference!! That’s the thing with toddlers unfortunately. My kid can nap for 10 minutes (she’s 5) and still be up almost ALL night. Good luck Momma and I hope it helps you out!!

Routine & consistency. No electronics or tv an hour or two before bed. Bath/quite time/book. No long naps during the day.
My son couldn’t go to sleep. It was exhausting. I put a gate up at his door and sat outside until he went to sleep. It may be a phase, but you have to control it because sleep is the most important thing for his growth and development. The waking up needs the doctor’s attention. Something is waking him.

Protein snack @ bedtime.

Keep her up and awake all day. No nap n see how that does??

Not sure of the sleep schedule but try less naps and a later bedtime if this is possible.

Get her on a nighttime routine, ABSOLUTELY NO MELATONIN at this age. She’s 2. Be calming and soothing with her at night. If you got to rock her to bed for a while do it. She is 2.

1 Like
  1. Are you putting her to bed too early? Keep her up a little later until she’s really tired. 2) NEVER lay down in her bed when you put her to sleep. 3) Kids will wake up if they’re cold. Make sure she is dressed warmly enough because toddlers can’t keep the covers on. 4) If she wakes up in the night, lay her back down, pat her back for a minute, and say Ssshhh it’s still sleepy time (something like that). Always follow consistent routine even if it doesn’t seem to be working. It will start to work!
6 Likes

I used to do this when I was a kid. I would get up, pop a VHS tape in, watch it and go back to bed. I grew out of it. Idk if you give sugar or screen time but When my on was that age I gave no sugar after 5pm and since screens have blue light they lower the natural melatonin in your body which keeps you from sleeping so limit that too if that is something you do. Please just don’t go a medicine route. Try anything and everything else first. I also just didn’t need a lot of sleep to function as a kid. Is it bothering you, like waking you up? My son did go through a phase like this and he would be up for an hour or two and go back to bed. He would eat a snack, watch a movie or play with toys and go to bed.

Make sure she goes to sleep no later then 8:30; still sleeps at least 2 hours in the afternoon , same night routine daily ; all lights in the room are off ( including anything from a window); once /if she wakes - put her back to bed as many times as it takes w/o any discussions

The pediatrician told me to take away that afternoon nap. Don’t send them to bed before dark. My middle child still woke up at 4 a.m. When she was two I left cheerios in a covered bowl(one she could open) and left the t.v. on to the educational channel. I had explained that it was dark and dark was for sleeping. She would eat her cheerios and wait for us to get up. I think as an adult she still wakes up every morning at four,but goes back to sleep.

4 Likes

You have to think about it this way. You’re an adult and still wake up in the middle of the night but know your surroundings and can soothe yourself to sleep. She’s 2. They wake up naturally and are scared.

I would put her back in her bed do not turn on lights or engage in any way put a radio in room on very low volume takes couple nights or a week must be consistent repetition is key do not allow her to run your house my kids always slept in their rooms and thru the night

1 Like

Tell her she must remain in bed and give her a tablet to watch a movie then go back to bed put jingle bells on her door so you can hear if she opens it

I put quiet sleepy music on loop in my Son’s room. It was enough to lull him back to sleep when he woke up. Also a string of led lights from ikea around his bed-when he got a few years older.

1 Like

Mine woke up every 2 hours until she was 9 . She stopped napping after she turned 1, so idk the reason. :flushed: Now she sleeps all night, while i wake up to the same freaking schedule :rofl:

I also like having background noise… like a fan or lullaby music. My kids won’t sleep without it.

Try swaddling them even toddlers like it it’s like a warm hug and you can even put the blanket in the dryer

I had a child like that and the Pediatrician recommended Melatonin 1-3 mg. 1mg did it.

You can always talk to your pediatrician and see if it’s ok to use malitonin

Put rain music sound on.

Why is anyone laughing at this question? It’s a legit issue and many people go through this. Laughing at someone who is asking for help is gross and makes you look like a bully.

Toddlers go through crazy times. Do feel sorry for you. Know how it can be. Our daughter was great but our son went through some exasperating times. Dr can probably give you some advise. Just have to keep in mind “this too shall pass”. When gets to teens you will look back and think this was actually easy.