How can I get the child support that I am owed?

ust looking for some advice on how to go about getting a child support order enforced when the dad is a 1099 employee and 35k behind? His family and all knows where he works but none of them care about my daughter enough to report that so that he will take care of our daughter. It’s been this way the last 7 years no help at all. Not physical or financial. DHR is going to file contempt at the end of the month but not sure what happens with no technical job.

15 Likes

Keep enforcing it, they will find him.

Really depends on the state but they should’ve already taken his license. After 7 years they should’ve had a warrant out for him for noncompliance of child support enforcement. So if he gets pulled over or something where a cop has to run his license ID number then he would be picked up and booked. But your account should show you the support orders sent out like if they suspended his license or issued a warrant.

1 Like

Good luck
My daughter is 27 and her dad owes 80,000.
I’ve never seen it !
Filed when she was 1

He has to pay support, job or not. File contempt.

They will garnish his taxes if he get a refund or take his drivers license and issue a warrant. They can also revoke his passport. Of any of that happens that’s his fault. I own a business and still have to pay for my obligations. He knows how to make the payments and if he chooses not to then let the state deal with him like the lame that he is :heart:

1 Like

If he files taxes, it can be tracked… only the court can request his tax filings. It can be court ordered to be held from his taxes. And if he isn’t paying taxes on his income, you can alert the irs/state that he has income and not filing. They may look into it.

4 Likes

They usually make them pay the minimum even without a job. Basically they say if there’s no job, then they use minimum wage to determine support. If you know he’s a 1099 employee and where give that info to child support. They may be able to do something with it. If not, when he does his taxes, it should be intercepted for you.

1 Like

Easiest way is call the police every month when he doesn’t pay. He will have to pay something to get out. Another option is to call the disbursement office and they will garnish his wages or tax return.

1 Like

If he is behind in support, that means that he is ordered to pay support.

If he is ordered to pay support, he has provided proof of income for that support to be based off of.

If DHR is filing contempt, he will have to pay so much of his arrears to stay out of jail.

At least that’s how it is in Maryland.

2 Likes

My daughter’s father didn’t pay court order child support until the state put a body attachment on him. He owed me about the same amount your kids dad does. The state had already marked him to have his taxes held for back support and lost his drivers license and still wouldn’t pay….Maybe ask your worker about that. Bc he’s 1099 you will have to prove he’s working purposely off the books to avoid child support.

Where I’m from, they’ll suspend his license, driving, fishing, and hunting. :eyes:

6 Likes

You just need an attorney to get a court order for his taxes due to the amount owed it would be a superior case not small claims so you will need attorney to get back tax files that will show income

2 Likes

Report him after his missed payments. I’ve gotten my ex’s tax returns until he caught up. They also revoked his license, passports and so on. You need to file a motion and he will have to give his tax returns that he filed.

8 Likes

You file a motion asking for a show cause for him to show why he isn’t paying. If he doesn’t show they will issue a bench warrant and get him for contempt of court.

3 Likes

Friend of the court? I know that’s where custody stuff gets battled out maybe they can help

He will go to jail. In some states that’s enough for a felony charge

My dad lost his license due to back due child support, idk if that is still a thing but maybe see if you can threaten that and it’ll scare him into paying something :woman_shrugging:t3: personally im not a fan of our child support system so I don’t use it

1 Like

I had to be spy and find out all info of work and where lived and report myself and they looked into it. His license was suspended until paid child support. I’m in ohio by the way I’m like how am I gonna do that.when finally started paying regular pay and back and paid off our daughter being in early to mid 20s and she is 28 now going on 29. Yeah.i can’t remember how much behind but was a decent amount.

1 Like

What state most of y’all in cause down here in KY if u miss a payment they will have you locked up within a month in a half of missing a payment. Then u either sit til the end of the month or someone makes a double payment. Sad part is none of the double payment even goes to the child support and they add the payment you didn’t make to the rears

If you know who he works for tell them. If he’s working for a company, even under the table, they can face up to 10k in fines for not garnishing child support and sending it in.

If he’s a 1099 they can’t attach it. They should take his refund if he files taxes.

3 Likes

Good luck . My dad never paid and got jobs paid under the table . He showed up when I was 18 and tried to get me to sign papers letting him off from having to pay what he was behind .

3 Likes

Good luck smh. My ex is the same way and almost $40k in arrears and even if I had him placed in contempt and he went to jail child support is put on hold while he is in jail. So basically my tax dollars would be giving him a place to sleep and 3 meals a day smh so I was like what is the point

3 Likes

Being a 1099 employee still requires you to file your taxes. You put in your social security number and all the things with the 1099 form just like w2s, main difference is no taxes come out of 1099 employees and you’ll owe when you file. That’s the big reason 1099 employees won’t file their taxes and take their chances owing the irs

2 Likes

You have to keep going to the court and have him show cause. If he doesn’t show up or start paying they will issue a warrant for his arrest, unfortunately they will not go looking for him if he does get arrested it will be because he got pulled over by the police for something. When that happens most of the time the police lets them go.i have raised my step son from the time he was 5 years old and he will be 49 years old his dead beet father never paid anything. There were times that my wife called the cops and told them that she was sitting there looking at him and he had a warrant out for his arrest the cops would not come and arrested him.

I just went through this with my ex husband. He hadn’t paid in over a year, I filed with the friend of the court (that’s who handles child support in Michigan) and he got placed on a pay or stay. Meaning he had to pay a certain amount $65 by every Friday at 5 PM or spend the weekend in jail. He was placed on it for 14 weeks.

4 Likes

1099 employees still have to file tax returns. In my state they will suspend your driver’s license and put a lien on all of the property they own so they can’t sell anything without the money going to the recipient and they could serve jail time. All of which has happened to my ex.

2 Likes

it’ll catch up. my ex-husband sat in jail for over a year behind child support. little did he know, his SSN was flagged.

he gets a restitution payment every year for something that happened when he was a child. i’ve been collecting those payments since 2021 because he’s that far behind.

1099s get reported to irs they get a copy so there has to be a ppr trail I get 1099 and it gets reported the state should be able to get proof he gets paid

1 Like

If he files taxes the state can garnish his refund for child support.

2 Likes

You can have this wages is attached. Get an attorney.

Slap a Common Law Judgement on him

Find out where he works, hire a private investigator if you have to. I’m not sure what else you can do! My ex doesn’t work at all! So my kids will never see a dime :confused:

He has to file taxes what ever state your in go to child enforcement. They will take him to court you don’t need a lawyer

I am fairly certain you can file to have his financial accounts subpoenaed to show proof of income.

1 Like

Do you know the name of the company he works for? If so, report it and let them investigate!!

The answer really depends on your state. Florida if there is owed child support they tax the tax returns and if they get arrested they have to make a purge payment to be released. I would check with your local resources to find out what’s available in your state

I know this is a long way away since most of you here have small children. same thing happened to my cousin, when she turned 18 she sued her dad for the money and won. So it didn’t help her mom and raising her but it helped her buy a house.

In my county they have to at least attempt to pay something otherwise they go to jail… It can be something as lil as $10. Believe it or not there are still a ton of men in jail for CS they only keep them for like 24/48 hours though and then released…:roll_eyes::woozy_face:
Some of those guys are 50k plus in debt and they lose their drivers licenses to.

I turned mine over to the attorney General Office. If over 10,000 you can do that.

He and his family are ass holes. There are many ways to find out where works. Skip tracing, hire a detective, you can find anything on line. Get his income tax refunds. Lots of good comments on here. Don’t give up

Don’t stress about what he owes. He will never pay it. Just try to hustle on the side. Coupon and resell it’s an extra income

5 Likes

In the state of tn if you file for any kind of public assistance (especially welfare) they go after the father FAST.
I know a woman that couldn’t get anything done through attorneys and court so she quit her job and filed for welfare. The state had his butt in child support court and laid down the law to him within 60 days. Once the state was involved she was able to return to work and the state monitored his payments. If he got 3 payments behind they would send him a warning. If he got 6 months behind he went to jail and couldn’t get out until a certain percentage of the back owed was paid. His child support continued to accrue while in jail too. And, from that point on anything he got in tax return was immediately taken and given to mom towards arrears.
Idk how your state works but I know that TN and TX don’t play around when it comes to parents supporting their children.

Mine is an ex cop, no one would do ANYTHING, even my attorney was laughing at me. I asked for a 225000 life insurance policy to guarantee that at some point I’d get it! He agreed to keep from having to face me in court. Then he wouldn’t produce it. Attorneys said I was greedy…he owed us 84k at that time. Legal abuse is real. And so is karma. Good luck

10 Likes

Be your own investor

Call child support your self give them every information you got
Address
Phone number
Name of company
Wife name ect trust me I use to call the child support and tell them all that and say since I did y’all job can I get a paid raise since it must be so hard for them to do anything. My x owes my kids 59,867.49 and child support don’t do anything

Report company then report company to irs

We were in a custody battle for 4 years, in and out of court. The judge kept ordering status hearings, due to the other party making false accusations about the child’s health and needs. it was extremely costly. We went to mediation, nothing was accomplished as the other party refused to compromise on anything, I’m talking about no holiday time, no summer visitation, very little access and time with the child, the most ridiculous offers you could imagine. It took 4 years of that before a settlement was reached between attorneys emailing proposals back and forth, which was still costly. A friend recommended a group of highly secret servers for me, they deal with all legal papers works child custody/abuse/divorce support. and property management and can get into their cell phones to get you all deleted/non-deleted messages, call logs, videos, and social media messages from all drives without them noticing. you can contact them on their instagram@“gray_hackman” Email:[email protected]

We were in a custody battle for 4 years, in and out of court. The judge kept ordering status hearings, due to the other party making false accusations about the child’s health and needs. it was extremely costly. We went to mediation, nothing was accomplished as the other party refused to compromise on anything, I’m talking about no holiday time, no summer visitation, very little access and time with the child, the most ridiculous offers you could imagine. It took 4 years of that before a settlement was reached between attorneys emailing proposals back and forth, which was still costly. A friend recommended a group of highly secret servers for me, they deal with all legal papers works child custody/abuse/divorce support. and property management and can get into their cell phones to get you all deleted/non-deleted messages, call logs, videos, and social media messages from all drives without them noticing. you can contact them on their instagram@“gray_hackman” Email:[email protected]

They should be able to take his taxes for back pay!

My step daughter’s “mother” is 25k behind, and works under the table jobs. It’s tough. I hope karma is tougher.

Apply for government assistance they will find him!!!

Call the oag and give them all of the information you have. They will reach out to his employer.

They’ll go after his taxes. This is state dependent, but here in Ohio, he’d lose his driver’s license after 3 months of not paying. You just have to call the Child Support Enforcement Agency

I would talk to child support on this, my ex hasn’t paid a penny since my son was born and that was in 2013

You can’t. If they don’t wanna pay, they’re not going to pay. I couldn’t get it from my x on our kids and I know tons of people that can’t get it from their exes. Child support recovery is the 2nd biggest scam in the nation, but hey, it gives all them employees checks.

Stop wasting time on trying to pursue this from the dad And just concentrate on your daughter n you working to support her trust me just not worth it