How can I go about buying a house?

So much great information, u guys rock

Most of the time you need 20% down.

Check out USDA loans or FHA loans. Some are little or no money down.

3 Likes

Start saving money. Depending on the type of loan you get, you will need to put down a percentage of the sales price as part of your closing. Go to your bank and start the process to get preapproved. Then you will know the amount you can qualify for, and keep your home search to that value and NO higher. Decide what you actually need in a home and what you want. You can live without granite countertops but that 2nd bathroom could be a game changer. Decide what school district you want your child in and look in that district. Dont be afraid of s fixer upper - they can be a great value and you dont mind a little sanding and painting you can negotiate a better price. Most of all, keep saving. You will have closing expenses, you will have mo ing expenses, you will find things you need to fix it upgrade once you are in the house.

1 Like

In our area, Montgomery Co., Tn., we have a down payment assistance program that is structured to assist a parent like yourself. AWESOME program!! I’ve many clients go through this program. There has usually been tears shed at closing because everyone was so happy, excited and greatful. Good luck!!!

Do you have substantial income? Can you afford a mortgage and taxes and home insurance ( those can be rolled together). They will tell you that you can afford a home 3x your annual income, but I would not advise going that high. Talk to a mortgage broker and find a realtor that can find something you are comfortable with. 20% down payment

2 Likes

Talk to a bank. Figure out what you want to spend monthly. Get prequalified so you know how much you can borrow. And contact a realtor

Fha loan- 3.5% down. We had the sellers pay closing cost, so we saved there. Same job for at least 2 years. Our credit wasn’t great, around 670, but we got a decent interest rate, 3.7%. Make sure you look at property taxes, ours doubled after the first year and upped our mortgage payment by $300 a month.

2 Likes

Check credit score, get a pre-qualify. That tells you what you can afford. Start looking with a realtor of your choice.

1 Like

Contact a bank and find out how they can help you.

Yep USDA loans , can go online to see if your eligible❤️

1 Like

Go to a realtor and they will help you. There are various loans, like rural development and WCDA loans for first time home buyers, available. They will discuss your employment, debt, etc.
Good lick!

1 Like

Build your credit for a few years, save save save

Wendi Beussink…can you help her?

1 Like

Go to Dave Ramsey.com for great advice.

2 Likes

I got a loan from USDA called Grow South Dakota. Paid all closing costs and I needed to down money for 1st time home buyer. Check with your state to see about the USDA orogram for your state

1 Like

Good credit good job
Start there first get your credit score

1 Like

There are a lot of places that will help you. I would call your county or town hall. Most have $ set aside to help with down payments. You need to find a good mortgage broker… If your credit isn’t where it needs to be they will tell you exactly what to do to bring it up quickly! Good luck

Join the military. The VA loan gets you in with no down payment, the rest is up to you. I have already bought and sold a home and I’m 26. I sold my home at 25. I don’t make a lot just 8k profit but at least I didn’t go in the hole.

I’m about to be 27 and I am in the middle of looking for a home to buy. This will be my second home I’ve bought so I have an idea of what the whole process is if you want to message me that would be fine. I actually have been working to buy a home for 2 years now and I only have about half a year to go before I’m right where I need to be.

Talk to a realtor who should be able to recommend a lender and speak to them. FHA loans only require a 3.5% down payment, also look into a usda loan depending on your income and credit you could get a usda loan with 0% down. My best advice to you (I am a realtor in Missouri) is to speak to a realtor in the area you want to buy because not only will they know the market better they will also be able to put you in contact with a local lender.

Talk to your parents, get advice, save your money. Get your credit score up.

1. Go to credit carma and check your credit score. If it’s bad you need to build up good credit and get rid of as much bad credit as possible if you have any negative things against you. While working on building your credit (if you have to) save up as much money as possible for downpayment and closing fees. Sometimesyou can get government assistance with down payments and you may get the seller to cover all or part of the closing fees. 2. Either get in touch with a realtor and they can give you tips on how to get preapproved or you can go buy a home builder place like DR Horton (that’s who we just bought a house with) and they can do it all with in house financing and everything for a brand new construction house. 3. Jump through every hoop they tell you to do and then eventually you will make it to closing time. LOL

Also remember when looking for your new home check the neighborhood HOA for any odd deed restrictions. These are rules that must be followed. My neighborhood has this odd rule where if you live on the main road you can not park in the driveway for longer than 3 hours. They say it’s because they make sure all the houses have 3 car garages and want you to park in your garage. :roll_eyes: we made sure to get a house that’s not on the main road. Also for a first home I would pick a new construction house otherwise you may be learning how to fix things yourself since you most likely wont have a warranty on anything if something breaks. My husband and I bought new construction for our first house when I was 26 and my husband was 21.

First off you need to check your credit and speak to a loan officer at your bank or mortgage company of your choice. Figure out how much closing cost range is in your area plus have 3 months saved plus your down payment.

I was 32 and did it on my own with 3 kids aged 1 to 11 without child support. It costs little more than renting and the scary part is that you are the landlord in charge of your own repairs. It’s been 18 years and no regrets. My boyfriend of 1 year has recently moved in and we are making upgrades because he is a builder and we have 2 incomes together now. You can do it!!! It is the best investment. I went through a real estate agent agent and though it cost more, they helped me with the steps as well as looking at properties.

Look into Dave Ramsey.
It is money skills and proper house buying and types of loans.

If you cant afford the emergencies just get an apartment and save. It’s cheaper than buying what you can afford and not being able to maintain it

1 Like

Don’t use Wells Fargo

Need about 10,000 in bank!! Good credit and/or co-signer… go talk to your bank or a mortgage company around you…

Neighborhood works is a great program here in Lincoln. You should check it out. I’ve had 2 friends get their homes that way and in about a year.

Ask for recommendations around your area for good realtors and they will help you. I am in the process as well

1 Like

Call your city hall and ask if they have assistance programs for single moms. There are great first time home buyer programs out there take advantage of them. Also about not getting Cs, I understand a lot of women say I don’t ask for, I don’t need his money ect. However that’s not really what its about, your child has a right to that it’s theirs so you really should file for child support even if you don’t need it put it away for your child they may need it college, school trips, first car, they are entitled to it.

Guess this depends on where you live. Here, a realtor has nothing to do with finances. We went to a mortgage broker who took all our financial info and got us pre-approved for our mortgage up to $500,000 based on our credit, debt, income, and downpayment (we had the necessary 20% saved, $100,000 for downpayment, as well as another $15,000 to cover additional costs). Then we went to a realtor with our desires and she helped us find our house and get the inspection done. Next was a lawyer to handle exchange of funds, registration, title and deed.

1 Like

There are ways to go through lenders for a 0 down payment loan. Look into that!

Quicken loans worked great for me. I was your age when I bought my first home. Need a solid 2 years of W-2 to show consistent work. Not allot of debt owed out. And descent/ good credit. Depending on your situation, quicken will help find the best loan opportunities for you. You will get credit and discounts for being a first time home buyer etc.

1 Like

Find a local mortgage company and look into FHA loans or USDA loans… They will help you get in a house!

You need to look for a Leander, it could be who you do your banking through. They will look at your income and debt ratio. If you do qualify for a loan they will give you an estimate and you can get prequalified! That way if you find something you already know the bank will lend you the money. There’s a lot of different programs and some programs could really help you out if you’re a first time buyer. They might lend you money with no money down or if you live in a rural area you might qualify for a USDA specialty loan! At that’s for lower income, with good credit and you won’t have to put money down. Just be smart and talk to different lenders. Good Luck!

Talk to hud usda loans

First, be sure you have a good credit score. 2nd, be sure you have a good, steady job. Be aware that if you only make $600 every 2 weeks, you are going to be limited on how much the house is. Start searching for a house & once u find one, find a mortgage place close to you & call them & they will tell you everything you need

3 Likes

Best to call and speak to a mortgage broker about what you need to do

pay off all your debt, get that credit score WAY up, and save about $15,000 AT LEAST. even with down payment assistance programs, those don’t cover costs of inspections, and some sellers won’t cover closing costs (about $5,000 depending where you live). you also need to have a very steady and dependable income. if you don’t qualify for down payment assistance, you can expect to put a minimum of 3.5% down. the more money you put down, the lower your payment will be. for a single mum, you can probably only afford/get approved for a home under 150,000 with an income of about $28,000 a year

6 Likes

MAKE SURE you have at LEAST $5000 in the bank. Even with HRA loan there’s lots of expenses you still have to pay. We ended up having to borrow the 5,000 cuz we didn’t know. Plus they will want to see at least 2000 sit in your bank to prove u have the money to pay first couple months.
Start saving now!

Look into habitat for humanity build your own home

1 Like

Make sure you have good credit. If you know someone who is a realtor they could probably give you some info on where to apply for a loan and someone to talk to about seeing if you qualify and what you may qualify for. Also make sure you have been with your job for awhile.

I advise looking up Dave Ramsey financial peace. :heart::heart:

1 Like

Idk if you can get a va loan but im 24 and that’s how we got ours

We recently bought our home in December our realtor helped us out alot we were able to qualify for an FHA loan & we even qualified for Down Payment Assistance. We live in TX. Work on your credit score, save for a down payment if you dont qualify for DPA. I would recommend a mortgage lender. We tried going though a bank cause i work for one but they asked for A LOT more than the lender. I just thought it was easier than going theough the bank.

Buying a house means a lot of financial responsibility that most ppl dont even realize if I were you I’d start renting my own place just to make sure I can handle the responsibilities of my own place before buying. I bought a home and withing the first 5 years I’ve had to put put a lot of money torwards unexpected repairs and now I’m in more debt than I could handle

I don’t know what area you are in but it might be worth saving your money and checking out the tax sales

My first question is if you live with family because of financial reasons or because you are just family oriented. You need to be financially responsible and be earning enough to not only save a few thousand but be able to pay all the bills and any remodeling the home may need. 24 is young, if you’re already financially there then go for it. However, don’t worry what others are doing- take things slowly and be realistic.

1 Like

what you need to do is get child support because i mean it takes two to tango! your child deserves it! plus it will add to your income. he gets to be all free and happy wasting his money on who knows what while you struggle to figure it out? no no no girl get it together.

1 Like

I know in Oregon and Missouri there are state programs for 1st time home buyers.

It helps to have a good sized down payment
Have a low debt to income ratio
And good credit

Remember, the Realtor makes more money if you pay more for the house. Get your credit score up and save as much as possible for down-payment and closing fees and inspection cost. Go to the bank and find out what you can afford. Remember, there will be extra costs for opening electric and water in your name. And there are property taxes, and sudden home repairs. Not trying to scare you Honey…just want to have you prepared. After you think you’ve found your home, have it inspected by a third party inspector. The bank inspectors SUCK and will not be looking out for you, they look out for the bank. So if your furnace, a/c unit, windows, floors, etc need replacing or repair they won’t tell you. Best thing is to be positive, and be educated! Good luck! :house::house_with_garden::bank::dart:

You need good job and good credit. Houses aren’t cheap. As far as your son’s father is concerned, it’s called child support and you are owed that. You weren’t lying down there by yourself so you shouldn’t be paying for it by yourself. Stop giving him a pass for neglecting his son and his DUTY to him.

Please buy in your price range, do not become house poor!!! Don’t push what you think you can afford monthly to get a nicer first home. You can always upgrade. But you don’t want too much of your income going into a mortgage without leaving enough for all other bills and a good amount for maintaining your home and extra in case anything needs repaired. Plus, you want to make sure you have the necessary appliances and furniture. A nice home can quickly turn into a prison if you have no money for anything else!!

I bought one at 21… best decision ever. If you have a good job and good credit, there’s no reason you shouldn’t be able to.

Look at first time home buyer programmes in your area if they have any that will help you with ur deposit and other things

Look at rent to own homes,you live there and part of the rent goes in an escrow acct.for your down payment in a year or two.Meanwhile,you can check things out and have them fixed by owner while living there.Thats what I did.

Look into the NACA program. I know many folks who have purchased a home through them. And it’s not score driven. But they will fully go into your finances and your affordability

Talk to a good realtor. There is a lot of help out there for first time home buyers. But even then you will need a few grand saved up. And credit score means everything

There are USDA loans I have a good friend who has been in the business over 30 yrs Randy Shamburger Movement Mortgage!!!

Find a good realtor first and see how much house you can afford

Get ur credit score up 1st then look at credit unions bc they have programs for 1st time home owners, then start looking

Go through housing u can buy a house and they go by your income

Dayvia Nelson…any words of wisdom for this mommy?

1 Like

JamieandLeah Peerce… Erin Holley… any advice?

1 Like

Get prequalified then start looking. Typically your credit score should be around 640

Do your own research. Google: Home buying 101. #1 - lender will approve you for the max loan amount . . . . Do NOT buy a house for the full amount lender will give you, calculate your own bills, decide what YOU can afford, add a few hundred per month for misc, dont get sucked into the trap. Just being a homeowner comes with all sorts of expenses, you don’t want to over extend yourself on the mortgage and not have savings in the bank for incidentals.

Find someone that you trust to give you advice. Start saving now. You need minimum of 5 or 6 % in cash for down payment. If you don’t have that now start saving and save more than you are told you need. It’s possible it changes. Get recommendations for lenders and find someone that someone trusts. Don’t forget to take into account in your budget HOA fees, yard water, repairs, property taxes. Don’t buy a house based on what you qualify for only what you can afford monthly. Make sure you have savings left after the purchase for fixing things and any issues in the first year or so. Get seller to pay for at least 1 year of home warrantee. I bought my first place at 29. You can do it!

1 Like

first time home buyers and single mom programs are out there, but please before doing anything hire a realtor you trust, ask around and talk to a few before deciding, also since we do not know your income we can’t really say what your ready for, but make sure you are aware of all the necessities and mishaps that go into it if you don’t understand all the ins and outs get a trusted friend or relative to be there for you to answer questions, also DO NOT be afraid to ask questions, this is your financial future on the line be clear with what your getting into, also someone suggested rent to own doesn’t hurt to look into that and I have heard people get great deals on foreclosures?
do your research and be ready, Good Luck

Buy a tent and live free and happy

1 Like

Buying a home without the proper income, that is way more than your mortgage payment, can be a huge mistake. You have to add so many other expenses…phone, electric, insurance, water etc. And think about it…homes don’t come with trash cans, cleaning materials, vacuums, dishes, bed sheets …get my drift?

Also there are some counties that have programs for first time buyers. I would start with a realtor, and they can help you if the county you’re looking in and maybe able to help you to get the information you need.

Do you have a job that pays well enough to afford a house and all the bills that come with it, not to mention food and other every day needs.

Principal, interest, insurance, taxes. Learn the terms, you will be paying for all four. And here is a hidden gem. Early payments will save you interest. I paid a 30 year note off in 14 years making early payments. Principal is front loaded and interest if back loaded. A realtor will explain all that if you ask. Don’t be afraid to say, I don’t understand. It’s imperative to learn this. It will save you lots of money.

1 Like

You have to have a work history and they will want to know if you can hold a job. and good credit. Best of luck .if not theres low income living and there are places you can go for loans and some assistance . it takes time but everything does.

2 Likes

Look into a USDA home loan. That could be your best option.

Go to a quality realtor and ask about first time home buyer loans. If you buy in an older neighborhood their are also other programs as long as you don’t make more than median income for the city. Bought my first home at 21. Paid 3% down and had a 10k allowance for reimbursement of updates. With payment, insurance, and taxes it was $3 less a month than my rent was. But go through a big lender that keeps their mortgages. Mine got sold to a rink a dink 4 person loan company in Florida that notified me on the 6th, date of letter, that as of the first i was supposed to start paying them instead of the original company. Then 3 months later one of them went on vacation with my payment on their desk. And they didn’t pay taxes, which were escrolled, total nightmare. Then it was bought by countrywide which is a national news story. I got payments from settlements for years from them trying to screw everyone over.

Check into your local habitat for humanity. They may be able to help. They will walk you through your credit and make sure you have means to sustain the home.

Keep your faith in God, he will see you though, if this on your heart to take this step step out on faith. You might need to work 2 jobs you can do this.

Never buy a house with an HOA monthly fee ! You don’t want to be house poor

1 Like

Good luck buying a home in CA. Way too expensive.

Definitely talk with your bank, they are going to look at your credit, you can buy a home with bad credit, look at homes within your price range, think about other aspects of home ownership, HOA, I wouldn’t live in one because of the rules with it, but it you might like it, talk with your bank, some of your friends who have done it. Good luck to you on this journey

1 Like

First things first, get a child support order for your son. Whether or not you want money from him, it’s for your son. Period. Pride will get you no where. Second, check your credit score. Third, pay off your debt. Fourth, contact your local city hall and ask for available first time homebuyer programs and Fifth, contact your local county and ask about their first time homebuyer program.
-A homeowner & single mom of 2 boys! I wish you all the luck in the world. You can do it!!!

Maybe check out Habitat.

Always get a home inspection done before you even think about putting an offer on a house because depending on what the report says you may be able to negotiate a better price to fix what needs fixed and not break your pocket

I have been seeing on facebook about ren to own homes. Maybe this will help you.

Save your money to build up a 20% down payment. Don’t forget about closing costs too. Then, wait a year or two as the bottom is likely to fall out of the housing market in short order. You will then be in a position to pick up a house and at a decent price. Just my opinion.

2 Likes

WCDA, it’s a great program for first time home buyers.

Lol I wouldn’t start with I’m 23 and going to be 24 haha

Do your research for First time home owners.

See a mortgage broker.

Check out down payment assistance programs in Arizona.

There are government programs for single mothers

If you want I can give you a name of a man who can help you immensely he knows the ins and outs of all of it. He’s very knowledgeable and he is also a real estate agent he can help you find what will fit in your bracket
also he can tell you what you will need financial wise to get started and in the long run you will save a lot of money because owning is cheaper than renting. No matter where you live you will always have to pay for it you might as well pay for your own instead of someone else’s

Why don’t you look into HOUSES FOR HUMANITY in your area? They work with you, you have to put in sweat hours and then family and friends can help after you get yours in. Would be perfect opportunity for u to buy a house and make a HOME for u and son

First I suggest having a savings for downpayment ect, talk to a realtor and discuss realistically what (if any) can you afford

You should talk to my son Landon Ford he is a financial advisor & can put u in the right direction. Pm me for info on how to contact him.

I suggest getting a free credit report. Look at what kind of FICO score you have- Make sure no fraud is reporting and you have established Credit- How long have you been at your job and how much of your income already goes to to debt then speak with a Financial Rep/Real Estate Loan officer…

Go talk to Habitat Roosevelt Curry, phone # 5753591344