How can I go about fixing my credit?

Try to not ever miss a payment. Even if its the minimum amount. That will mess up your credit really bad. Also don’t file for bankruptcy, if you do you have to wait 3 years before you can buy a home. (Well it was 3 years last I looked it up, this may be different for vets or other states, not sure) but check into it before you do it. Good luck!!

Or bankruptcy. That’s last option obviously.

1 Like

Or find a new place to live.

1 Like

Pay cash for everything to relearn the value of money!!!

There are plenty of companies that have programs that are there to employ veterans. Here is one such kind https://military.microsoft.com/

Not sure what State u work in but I’m a C/O, the pay is good n we r so short staffed u can work OT everyday…can u take a loan to pay off cards? Maybe get a Note or Loan, save the money to pay off n eat the interest…it’ll at least help your score. I’m not 100%, but if u pay bills with credit/debit card from bank, I believe it will also. Good luck😁

Why isn’t your ex being made responsible for half the debt?

8 Likes

Talk to your local VA, they have programs to assist you in getting a loan.

Have you tried…robbing a couple banks?..your just giving it back to them anyways…

Maybe Door Dash on your days off or before/after work a couple hours to add more income.

Bankruptcy! It’s the best thing I ever did, ur credit will be shitty for a while… but for me it didn’t matter, I now just used cash for everything instead of having to pay my whole paycheck to credit cards and banks! And still have some left over to save…

I paid down my debt years ago. By paying the one with the high
Interest first adding extra money and keep going in each high interest debt had kids at home we both worked but didn’t hVe much money left after doing this we owed money in our house snd car we were Able to pay off things quickly

“That the ex racked up”
Own your shit! The debt is yours too :roll_eyes: lol

Get a secured credit card. Capital one has a good one.

I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy wiped everything out but my car bought a home as soon as it was over filed in January it was over in February

There is a group on FB I am in, called road to 750. It can help you a lot with building your credit! I love the group

I spoke to a loan officer. He checked my credit and told me what was very high impact on my score and I paid those off. It took my score up so fast, in just a few months. He said he’d never seen someone’s score go up so fast.

Pull all three reports. It’ll be about 200 something pages but go through it and highlight the discrepancies. Pay off open, and debt that’s a charge off. We aren’t paying our collections off bc 1) they fall off after 7 years. 2) they don’t always get removed 3) if u contact them, it restarts the 7years… good luck!

1 Like

You can use a VA loan to help with buying a home (whenever you decide too), you put $0 down for a home! (At least here in Ohio). Make sure you are paying your bills on time and use the Self app someone else suggested. You can do this!!

Look into Dave Ramsey if someone hasn’t said so already. We didn’t follow 100% but really helped us.

1 Like

THE Ramsey Baby Steps Community

1 Like

You can get a credit card from Capitol one you put your own money in and it helps build your credit

Debt settlement can help but you will still need to do the second part which is reach out to the credit bureaus. Here is what you do, find your lowest balance card. Put some money aside for a little down payment and then call the collection company. Off them 25% of the current balance (lump sum payouts have a better chance). They will counters at like 60% over payments. Offer 35% in payments. They will likely counter. Depending on who the original Creditor is and who has the file is what % you will end up with. Org. Creditors usually higher (Amex - high), discover isn’t too bad 50%, capital one 50%, chase anywhere from 50-25%. Comenity 50%, citi 35-50%I know there are more that I missed. Credit unions high- sometimes collection companies are a bit lower but they will haggle more. I work in the industry so if you want to reach out to me, I can maybe answer more questions. Once you agree on a settlement DO NOT MAKE PAYMENT until your receive a letter. They can fax or email it to you. Then make the payment. 30 days from the day the payment clears you will need to start contact the bureau’s to update your credit

Google Dave Ramsey, “financial guru. He’s amazing. He has a pod cast and books.

2 Likes

Credit Karma will tell you things you can do to raise your score

4 Likes

Pay off the lowest first. Then move to the next. May the minimum on highest debt whe you are working to pay off the small ones . If there is anything in collections pay those off first. You may have to settle for a lower pay off amount.

1 Like

Don’t pay no company I would also recommend self.

1 Like

This website was posted in another group I follow. www.creditscoreplug.com. No idea if it works or what the details are but I know this group wouldn’t post it unless it was worth checking out.

1 Like

Call all the banks that issued the cards, and ask for assistance. They can cut the interest rate. And put you in a payment plan

3 Likes

Call the VA, they have a program that helps Veterans’s fix their credit in months. I helped my husband (he’s also a vet) with their help.

6 Likes

Also, pay off the little cards first, never use more than 30% of the total and wait till it updates in your credit the payments before use. The larges ones speak to the cards and see what they can offer you to lower the amount.

2 Likes

Cut your cost of living any way you can (strict grocery budget, no entertainment, etc) and get a “side hustle” like Doordash that you can set your own schedule. Call the companies and see if they will “settle” with you to get the debt paid off quicker. If your schedule there is good, look for a part time job that you may could eventually transition into full time to get out of the situation. If you’re going to try to buy it, you need a good credit score and debt-to-income ratio usually.

1 Like

Try credit associates or freedom debt relief.

Make payments on the smallest debts first. Call the credit card companies and ask for a settlement and pay that off in full (it won’t jump as fast as it would if you could pay the FULL amount in full, but who can)

Leave the largest debts untouched, if it’s going to take more than 7 years to pay something pff, it’s more advantageous to ignore it honestly. It falls off your credit report then. The moment you make one payment the clock starts again.

5 Likes

I used LexingtonLaw firm after my divorce and they were able to help me get mine back up over 200 points in about 8 months.

2 Likes

I know someone who did debt settlement company they completely take over your bills and work with the companies to lower the amount you owe. Saves a ton of money. Also if you have Experian you can link your bank account to have your electric and all that improve your credit.

1 Like

Do not settle! That is just as bad as not paying! I was in a similar situation and bankruptcy was the best option. It sounds terrible but it gave me a second chance and now my credit score is at 700 and it was just two years ago i my bankruptcy was finalized.

4 Likes

I think you can contest things on your credit score, like the debt from the ex, and have it removed.

1 Like

Check out the budget mom.

File bankruptcy u will have better credit than u did before

2 Likes

There’s a woman on TikTok that is amazing. Look her up. She’s @colormycredit. She has an easy to follow book too by the same name

Through credit karma you can set up a payment plan. You can also dispute certain things and they’ll take them off if there’s a good reason to. I’ve disputed things in the past and they took it off. My personal next step is to start paying some of the smaller things on mine and then set up a payment plan for the bigger things.

I used credit karma and credit sesame and raised my score by over 300 points. They offer some great tips. Get a copy of your credit report and see what is actually on there and when stuff is going to “fall off”. Pay off smaller stuff,contact banks with the credit cards to see if they will settle/make payments, etc

Buy an RV and live in camp spots or park at a family’s or friends home so you can fix your credit

If you have any medical expenses on your credit, dispute them. It is a HIPPA violation for medical providers to sell your personal info to collection agencies.

1 Like

If you’re a veteran you can use your VA loan to buy a house and only need a 620 credit score. You can do it

Do not use any debt consolidation they will hurt instead of helping. Paying your credit card bills biweekly will help a lot. Getting a loan will help if you have retirement borrow from him to pay them off. Even getting another credit with zero interest for a while will help. If your cards are not in collections. Call the company and tell them you want a payment plan with lower interest and get everything in writing and do not miss the payments. I worked for a company for over 15 years that handled these things. You can do it but get everything in writing open up a different checking for those payments never your primary one this gives you a paper trail.

If you have any medical bills, dispute them. I didn’t know this, but there’s something with HIPPA, and the collection agencies can’t “confirm” all the information they technically need… I disputed a bunch and my credit went up SO MUCH. Also, anything that was your exes, you can dispute and get off your credit report as well. Credit Karma helped me a lot!

We use Lexington Law and come to find out half the stuff on our report wasn’t even ours. We couldn’t buy a house till our credit score went up. Here we almost 5 years later with a house and a new vehicle. Our score went up within a years time. We still use them till this day.

Try an pay half of each card down. That’ll boost it up fast!

I fixed my credit with credit karma … I was able to dispute so many charges which were taken off my credit score and then I was able to figure out which places I owed abs how much abd pay them off then kredit karma gave me card suggestions based off my credit scores and I got a card and brought my score up from 510 to 750 in a little less than a year … They also give you access to places to get loans to pay off debt and also what to do if you should need to file bankruptcy …

1 Like

Call your credit card companies and explain the problems. Tell them what happened, and they will make things work with you. Probably not the answer you want to hear, but it’s the easiest way without filing bankruptcy, which is always an option as well. Depending on the chapter of bankruptcy you go with, the don’t affect you forever. Good luck and I’m sorry to hear about the situation, good luck!

1 Like

Look up Ramsey solutions. Being a corrections officer doesn’t pay that bad when you look at your benifits plan and salary. You can dig your way out of this!

You have choices. File for bankruptcy, or contact the creditors, explain the situation, and work something out with them to get make payments. There are downfalls to bankruptcy of course so I’d look into that first. Can you sue her for half the debt or was that settled in the divorce already? The only way to get the score up, is to pay things off, and start rebuilding credit. I do feel your pain. A divorce left my credit in shambles as well but not even close to 40k. Use Credit karma to check your credit, see who you owe and how much, try your best to make arrangements and get them paid off. If you’re even showing that you’re at least willing to try, even if it’s small payments, they’ll work with you.

2 Likes

Find a single room to rent. Hopefully this would open up more money for your debt payoff. Also the suggestions about calling credit card companies is very good advice. If they see you are trying they will work with you. Also check with the VA for help/advice. Praying everything works out for your.

1 Like

My daughter went through some credit consolidation that really helped her. The place negotiated debts on each thing. She had to put money in an account, each month or so the place negotiated down how much was owed and had to pay. Something like that. Helped build her credit fast too

6 Likes

Call the veterans or local welfare office and get help with living expenses if you qualify that will alleviate some $ to free up for other things. Sell what you can to help. If you are driving an expensive car, sell and lease something cheaper. If it’s joint debt then get your ex to pay some, get a lawyer, go to small claims court even for things you can prove are his purchases

2 Likes

Why dosent she have to share the debt if she dosent take her to court

Hey there! I’m in corrections as well, and I understand about the pay not being too good! Okay there’s some options, one would be calling the companies and talking to them. See if there are willing to put you on a payment plan or even settle the debt. Some will settle at 50 percent or less. Another option is to file bankruptcy. After my abusive ex left, I filed BK chapter 7. It was the best decision for me. Its been two years and it sucks bc I can’t do things like finance a house, but I’m living within my means and everything has worked out.

3 Likes

If you are alone look at living in a small rv for a while. Atleast to you can get rid of debt. It’s definately alot cheaper then other options. If you must file for bankruptcy. If not that route then try calling someone to lower payments. We owed alot on the px charge and they showed us to stop interest payments and lower bill to what we could afford. Don’t be ashamed of your situtation.

2 Likes

What about clear advantage is that company good to clear your debt

What state do you work in corrections that the pay is bad?

Well a prepaid credit card boosted our score 40 points in 6 months, but I think each situation is different

4 Likes

Consolidated credit. They re negotiate your debt and you set up payment thru them and they pay your debts. It is not a business. They dont make money. Usually you can be debt free in 2 to 3 years and have great credit in the end. Fastest way to get out of debt.

1 Like

First off it’s not impossible. You can do this.

Have you called the credit card companies and explained to them the situation. In many cases they can reduce the over all bill or the interest accumulation. If you work with them, they have a tendency to work with you. It’s about having a plan and follow through.

The VA should have training opportunities but you need to seek them out. In many cases the vocational training results in a job offer at the end.

Do you have the GI Bill. If you have the 9/11 GI Bill it provides BAH in addition to the educational benefit.

I think you need to start at the VA. Get a counselor and tell them all your issues. They will help you develop a plan.

Ultimately there isn’t an easy answer. Dave Ramsey programs are great. Some bases teach them for free. You can also get them through churches. You can also reach out to the Ramsey corporation. Suze Orman is also great. I prefer David Bach. All at the public library. A side huddle may be in order to help pay bills and debt.

I think the fastest way out of debt is save about $500. If you end up with an emergency you don’t need to rely on credit. Then go after the bills. I typically tackle the smallest ones first. Get in some wins.

4 Likes

Consumer protection is a better option than bankruptcy. It doesn’t damage your credit for long term. Consolidation loan if you can get low interest.

There’s no quick fix but you should go to a Dave Ramsey Money Makeover class. He teaches that you should pay off your smallest debt first, then the next smallest, etc., creating a ‘debt snowball’ and before you know it you’ll be debt-free!

2 Likes

Bankruptcy? Hell no! We were forced to file because of a business we had. We were ripped off in every way . They took our cars because they were paid off. Then we could buy them back! We never missed a pmt or was late on a pmt before filing. You have to pay lawyer in order to file. Ours was $3000. Bankruptcy is the last thing to do. It has been 11 years and still.on our credit report. Dont do it! Find a reputable Credit Council Counciling Service instead

Have someone you know with great credit add you to their credit card. You don’t get a card and hopefully they pay their bill on time to raise your score.

First get credit carma or something similar for free. Check to see if anything is incorrect on it. Next stop using the credit cards and go into what I like to call, money saving mode. Don’t eat out or buy drinks and such at the gas stations. Cook at home and pack lunches. Call the credit card companies and see if they will work with you or you might consider debt consolidation. Lastly, I’m sorry that correction officers don’t make more money. It’s a tough job and the pay don’t match what y’all go through. Good luck!

Go through debt negotiations they were good it cuts out all ur interested and you pay it off a lot faster

Dave Ramsey. Financial peace univ. best out there. Do a google search.

2 Likes

Credit Karma-will tell you your credit score and suggest ways to improve the score.

3 Likes

Unfortunately no quick fix. I would file bankruptcy, start fresh and get Dave Ramsay’s Financial Freedom book.

2 Likes

Bankruptcy. You can rebuild a lot sooner.

Dave Ramsey has a great program!

I recommend Freedom Debt Relief. They have been a God send for me.

1 Like

You need a financial advisor. Don’t wait too long.

Call a credit company and ask for help.

Why in divorce didn’t spouse have o pay half?

I got a secured credit card. I have been experiencing identity Fraud so I got one and I’m already close to 600.

2 Likes

Do you have disabilities that are from your time in service? If so, please message me and I may be able to help.

Live out of your car…is that a solution…no!
Fuck the dept fuck the banks fuck credit…pay cash for everything live a simple life I do and it works …I have a pre paid credit card I keep a few hundred pounds in for emergency …use a bus if you can or buy a small cheap car …or if you have no ties fuck of out to the Californian desert and join a desert commune and chill of grid and be happier …u only live one life make the most of it the middle class dream is a continuous struggle in these covid days …

Bankruptcy. Afterwards they will be handing you credit cards.

1 Like

Can you have them consolidated?

Call a credit consolidation company. Just be sure it’s a reputable one. You surely don’t need more aggravation.
It consolidates debt which helps lower balances, interest and payment amounts all while helping grow one’s credit score.

Get a second job part time and pay things off super fast. Might be tired but you’ll get it paid

Call usaa they have credit counseling services for vets and call a financial adviser at your bank they can help

Make a very strict budget that allows you to cut expenses and pay more to your debts. Pick up a side gig and put all of that money toward your debt.

1 Like

Check out the Dave Ramsey Financial Freedom 11 week course. You can get out of debt. You don’t need to do bankruptcy to do it. Saved us from losing our home during the crash. You can do it on line or they will connect you with a local group. Small fee for materials.

Set up payment arrangements with card companies.

get the ex off of your credit card

Credit Karma

Look into Christian credit counselors :heart:

Don’t they have loans for Veterans? Not to get your hopes up, but you could try putting all your debt in one loan with little interest.

I don’t have any good advice for you, my friend. Cus I’m in the same boat. But I will pray for you🙏 God never leaves his children in the darkness😔 Good luck to you❤️

Whatever you do don’t sign up for a credit debt relief program. I got in one cause I wanted to consolidate all my payments, but I had to stop paying and let it go to collections so they’d be able to get settlement pay offs. I regretted it cause my credit score went hella low. I suggest which I wish I would’ve done is call these credit cards or which ever loans you are involved with and remove yourself from a secondary card holder and the ones that are yours ask if you can have a settlement payment cause you can’t afford to pay all of it.