How can I help my 3-year-old with his anger issues?

When my kids threw fits like that they went to their rooms till they could get over it. Spent many times holding the door closed so they couldn’t get out. There are many things that come into play here and I don’t think searching for an illness or some kind of problem is the answer. He’s 3. One of my sons at 3 was more stubborn than me, and that’s saying something. Consequences need to be age appropriate. He won’t understand being punished hours or days later. That’s why I always used their bedrooms. They were allowed to have feelings but they weren’t allowed to scream and cry and whine and throw fits. And they for sure weren’t going to throw fits in the room I was in for no reason.

Instead of just saying no outright, have you tried giving him choices or other options he can have instead? Such as would you rather wear the blue shirt or the red one? Do you want to take a bath now or in 10 minutes? And so on

I tell my kids, 3 and 5, when they get really angry to stop, take 3 deep breaths, explain whatever and make them repeat it until they calm down and listen, or just a good ass whooping helps. I’ve learned ignoring it completely helps some too.

You know what my family did they put the boys in wrestling or karate some sort of martial arts some sort of physical contact that teaches them discipline and lets them get their aggressions out they turned out good and I don’t mean just two or three kids my mom was the oldest of 11 kids and each one of her brothers and sisters had anywhere from three to six kids lot of wrestlers in a lot of martial arts in our family nobody’s in jail nobody’s in trouble they learned discipline add an outlet at the same time

Spank his butt. Give him something to get mad about.

1 Like

the old fashioned way tear his butt up

My 3 year old gets the same way. We’ve been working on calming down. Which is hard for even us as adults to do. I count to 10 and try not to add to the fuel by getting angry myself. Which is harder said than done. If hes not calming down by 10 he goes to his room. He gets to come out when hes calm. But I dont allow him to break stuff. If hes gets that put of control I do step in. But that doesnt happen often. My son also hits himself but I noticed he does it more as an attention thing. So I try to ignore it as much as I can.

1 Like

I would suggest teaching him ways to manage his anger. Talk about it when he’s not mad and come up with a plan, with his help, and then remind him about it next time he’s mad, not an instant fix but our job as parents is to teach these things, sounds like he just needs a little more help.

1 Like

It sounds like you’re describing me as a child; I used to tear my hair off and scratch my arms—good news is that I grew out of that type of behavior, but to this day my older siblings still talk about how difficult I was as a child!

My son was same.
We use a glitter jar, that he made himself. It took some time but it works now, he just loves shaking it and sitting on couch and watching it. Good luck momma, you got this!

1 Like

Definitely ask primary doc just to be sure. Probably nothing though. Have you tried completely ignoring it? Like make sure he’s safe and then just walk into another room. Sometimes it’s for attention. Also try positive reinforcement. Like rewarding good behaviors. Even the smallest thing.

1 Like

I would talk to his suggest and ask if a few sessions of Occupational Therapy would be beneficial to help with harboring his anger

Does he start cursing and calling names when he has these fits? If so give him a warning to stop if he doesn’t try time out for 5 mins set him in time out ignore any other words coming from his mouth and do not let him up from time out until he sits there and finishes time out. After when he is calm ask him if he understands why he was on time out and explain to him why.

1 Like

My 3yo literally screams at us when told no. Developmentally, it is normal. No one likes to be told no, they are learning boundaries and it is a struggle. One thing that has worked with our guy, is instead of just saying no, we explain why. It helps him understand that we are not simply being mean, but that there are reasons behind our choices.

1 Like

My son was very similar for a long time and we used choices instead of flat out no. For instance if he wanted to have candy at bed time we would say instead would you rather have an orange or apple sauce once he started to feel like he had some control over his world it helped tremendously. It takes ALOT of patience and discipline as a parent not to lose your cool but we helped explain that his emotions were getting to big for his body and he seem to really understand at that age… we also did breathing exercises and having him see us not getting upset really helped too hang in there!!

1 Like

Soothing music a song he likes might my grandson does these same thing and we have found soothing music and maybe a soft blanket

Just a typical 3 year old. My 3 year old is hectic!

Yes ignore him. He’s looking for attention.

My child did this once in a store fell down in the floor having a fit. I stepped over her kept walking by the time I went 5 foot she was up and saying mama wait on me she never did it again

Completely ignore his tantrum

1 Like

Put him in the bathroom shut the door and stand outside. Explain to him once he stops he can come out. I had to do this for my son. I told his doc about it and she said the bathroom was really the safest place. (Put the bath stopper up if you can)

My son is 2 and is that same way but basically everyday he throws tantrums all day til he gets what he wants I have to like hide certain things and or ignore him for a few mins I think he loves the attention while making a scene but idk

Might be autistic. Thats how my son used to be…get a diagnosis from a child psychologist.

1 Like

I have a ante that would take off her changla at throw it at you is he the baby if so he just wants to be number 1 try time out time and maybe a chart where he earns points for wat he wants

Autism children tend to hit them self around the chest and stomach

Old fashion hickey woopimg

1 Like