How can I help my child understand I am having another baby?

I just found out that I am 10 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child, my husband’s 6th. Our 4 yr old is used to pretty much being the center of attention, his siblings are not out here all of the time. I’m trying to find away to help him accept that he is going to be a big brother. Any tips?

22 Likes

He’ll adjust don’t worry, just tell him he’ll big a brother. You’re overthinking it.

1 Like

There’s 4 and a half years between my girls. I told my daughter the day before lol she was very excited to be mommy’s big helper. She loved sitting in the floor talking to her sister while I made bottles. They adjust quickly! No worries

1 Like

If you are really worried about how to get him really excited to be a big brother, explain to him how important and special being a big brother is. Try to include him in things such as ultrasound visits (if allowed due to covid) and allow him to pick out special items for the baby like toys or outfits.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat as you lol. I am going to be 11 weeks tomorrow and I’ve tried to explain to my 3 year old about his new sibling but I just don’t think he is understanding lol. I think he sorta knows that I’m having a baby because when I say “Damien, where’s baby?” he will put his hand on my belly and say baby. I’m sure that when the baby is born he will be a great big brother! Try not to overthink or stress about it. Good luck :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

I’m pregnant with my third. My oldest is 13 and my youngest is four.
I just told him I had a baby in my belly and he was going to be a big brother. He had already been asking for a sibling so he was really excited! I didn’t tell him I was pregnant until I was 20 weeks and knew the gender. I didn’t want to tell him too soon in case something went wrong and 40 weeks is a long time for a four year old to wait lol. At four years old he is old enough to understand, so whenever you’re ready just tell him. I wouldn’t wait until the last minute to tell him because you do want him to have time to get ready and adjust. Good luck

I just told my 4 year old that shes going to have a little brother or sister and she said “no”. Nothing more. Just “no” :joy: what am i supposed to do with that?

When mine was 7 years old I had my 2nd child I did everything then bout a month after he was a month old the only thing that work for me was I encourage her to help bottle feed him and do stuff for my 2nd child that was her brother now he is 14 and she is 20 and they are so close to each other u can’t get a pen between them they love each other they are close I was blessed with mine ty god

When I was expecting my 2nd baby my 1st born was already 5yrs old. I found a great book called"I’m a big brother" I believe. After reading the book everyday my oldest said he knows how to be the best big brother and became so excited

Bring him into everything you do for the new baby and have him “help” when you get clothes or diapers or burp rags or anything show him let him touch it and let him help you put things away when you go to pack your hospital bag have him help definitely get a baby doll cause after the baby is here he could mimic what your doing with the baby I have 5 kids under the age of 8 and this worked every time

Tell him he will be a big helper. They like that :slightly_smiling_face:

Explain to them and I’d get a baby doll asap and pretend like it’s a real one so they’ll be used to the dynamics of the change that will occur

I told my 4 year old that she was getting a baby brother or sister (she turned 5 when i was 2 months along ) . we answered all of her questions . her baby brother is now 2.5 months and she adores him. It did come pretty much naturally for her. Include him in as much as you can, show ultrasound pics, that he’ll be a big brother etc

2 Likes

It will be good for him. You are making him a big brother! He can teach this child things. What a positive thing.

Let him know the baby is his and he well need to help care for him/her. As the baby moves let him feel the kicks. Have him talk and sing to the baby before birth. Include him in picking out things for the baby and share the ultrasound pictures.

He will just get used to it. Same situation for my daughter. She had some problems having to share mommy but she is getting used to it and adores her brother

Give it time. 4 year olds don’t always understand abstract concepts. Just keep talking positively about what a big helper and good big brother he will be.

Let him be a part of all of it. My son would use the dopplar to listen to his sissy all the time, he picked out her first outfit, helped pick her name, read lots of books about becoming a big brother.

When I was pregnant youngest one, we had a daughter who was 5, going on 6. We let her make the announcements. First she started with a baby, then she said she was getting a brother and sister. (There was only one) At one point a close family member was getting her to up the number. She told people I was having 8. Lol.

Give your child as much attention or more than the baby. Baby sleeps alot at first. Do crafts together etc. Read big brother a book while you feed the baby. Sing songs when baby is changed or getting a bath.

If you plan on having a baby shower, maybe get him a little something so he doesn’t feel left out. I did that for my son when I was pregnant with my daughter.

Kids book explaining being a big brother. Also have him be involved in picking things out for the baby like clothes or toys

2 Likes

I bought my kids the books by Joanna Cole, I’m a Big Sister, I’m a Big Brother. However, when my son was born Kristen was 5 and a bit annoyed. He slept most of the time and she loved him but she couldn’t play with him she had to wait. There was so much hype about having a baby brother or sister to play with. My son was with us all the time, his Dad (Ex2) and I were married until 2013. It was difficult for her to leave every other weekend to see her dad Ex1, knowing that Aaron was home with mommy and Daddy all the time. It was even harder for her when our youngest son was born. They were home all the time with us and she had to leave every other weekend to see her Dad. She enjoyed being a big sister. She still does. Lol

3 Likes

It’ll come naturally… I wouldn’t harp on him until you get the reaction you’re looking for.

3 Likes

Try making it a celebration for him becoming a big brother

2 Likes

Engage him throughout the pregnancy to feel your tummy grow. The more you involve them before and after makes a big impact on them accepting the baby

I don’t get it… mine was 2 and there was nothing to explain there’s going to be a baby, cool yay baby…I don’t get it :woman_shrugging:t2: at that age they should know what a baby is. My 2 year old would feed my stomach so I’m sure a 4 year old can get the concept

3 Likes

Sit him down and explain it plainly to him, answer any questions and assure that you’ll still love him

1 Like

I’d be more worried about trying to figure out how to explain why dad’s got so many kids.

Well he already has siblings so the concept isn’t that new?

1 Like

Just tell him and see what happens, then take it from there.

1 Like

Involve him as much as possible. Do a lot of time with him right now. When you have the new baby understand he might act up . But get him to help with all baby stuff as much as possible. I’ve got 12 kids . So this is always interesting when I have a new baby :heart:

2 Likes

My 1st daughter was 3+ as my tummy grew we use to talk to baby together. When we decided on baby name( Rashanna) she even nicknamed her baby shanna before she was even born. Baby is now 21 month, They do have their ups and downs but they both get talked to when they disagree

1 Like

Wait until you start showing and let him feel baby kick, and tell them Mommy has baby in belly, just like you once were. Mommy and Daddy will still love you always, but we now want to add to that love.
Ask questions on their thoughts for a sibling who they can teach, and play with. Get them excited for the new arrival… seeing the ultrasound, get books about being a big brother, helping choose baby stuff when things get closer.
But do this slowly, and ask for feelings or as best a child can say.
Just know it will take time, and by the time baby joins, all will work out.

2 Likes

Good day everyone, I want everyone to join me to thank God for using DR.agbator to bring my husband back to me. Life without my husband was a real mess for me and my children I am so happy to get my Ex husband back through the help of Great Dr agbator the spell caster . My greatest surprise was that 48 hours after the Doctor casted the spell for me, my husband who has abandoned me for years suddenly called me unexpectedly and started begging for my forgiveness. Am so happy that we have become one happy family again through the help of Great DR.agbator Dr agbator is a very wonderful and powerful spell caster, you can contact him if you need his assistant because i know he can also help you. contact him through his email: [email protected] call him or Whatsapp on +2349052629152 and share your testimonies also.

I’m also pregnant with my second and when I told my son, he didn’t quite understand at first. But I told him he would be moms big helper and then he got really excited. Kids(usually) aim to please, I wouldn’t stress to much :heart: you got this

Include him in the care of his new sibling. When you go to get new baby clothes and such let him help pick some out so he can look forward to this new baby. Also he can bring you a diaper or the wet wipes or pick out his out fit for the day. When you are feeding the baby let him cuddle with you. Its a good time to sit and read a book together or watch a cartoon together so he wont feel left out. My youngest son and I had a sort of conspiracy together. When ever his baby sister got older and started having temper tantrums or being ornery I would look at him and say isnt she being silly. She doesnt know better yet but you do dont you. He’d get this grin on his face and nod his head. After a while I was watching him teach his little sister how to handle her temper and frustration better. And encourage your son whenever he is nice to his new sibling. Oh that was sweet of you to bring your brother/sister a toy. We love them dont we. It will make the sibling rivalry down the line a little less difficult to handle.

I have been talking up the idea since before I got pregnant. My son is 7 tho and doesnt have any siblings or many close cousins. He is excited but occasionally says things that show he is nervous about no longer being an only child. I recommend bringing the idea up asap and get their lil head dreaming about their new best friend.

When my kids was little 2 years apart I told them it was there baby they got to help with everything setting up room picking out going home outfit, and blanket ,packing diaper bag

My son is 4 and we have a now 2 month old he is spoiled rotten gotten everything and anything he wanted the whole 9 yards at first we just asked how would he like to have a brother or sister he was happy about it and as time went I I got worried about how he would actually do when she got here and he is amazing with her he helps if needed he is always wanting to live on her. And when we brought her home we picked up a gift for him from his sister to try and make the transition a lil bit easier

I wouldn’t say anything at all until I was starting to show… anything could happen between now and then