How can I help my dad with his drug addiction?

You have to let him hit rock bottom your an enabler to his addiction you can say all the kind things you want but he really ain’t that kind because you would not be here asking for help your are only enabling him let him go if he wants to fix himself he will your family are right it’s time to stop carrying him…

There’s not a single thing that you or anyone else can do to help him…sadly until he decides it’s time it will never be time…good luck

1 Like

Alanon. You’ll learn a lot.

1 Like

Leave him in there. It’s the safest place for an addict. If you keep bailing him out just will get worse. Praying for you

You can’t do much. Just love and accept him but not the behaviors. Set boundaries like not bailing him out anymore which it sounds like you’ve started doing. Tell him that you’re not okay with it, he has an issue, you love him, but you’re not going to give him money, etc. He has to decide he has an issue and needs to change. Offer him whatever healthy support he says he needs. Beware of becoming codependent or enabling.

Depends on how long he is in jail for. If it’s a week or two, he’ll be back at it. If it’s a year or more, you can hope for real change, but there has to be a ton of follow through with NA groups, and support.

Nothing until he wants to stop…

Sometimes they need to hit rock bottom to want to get help. It sucks and it’s hard but you have to let him get there. Unless he wants it he won’t do it. I’m so sorry because addiction really is a family struggle not just a personal one. I hope he gets the help he needs and sticks with it .

We stopped bailing my brother out after about 4-6 times, I was young so I don’t remember exactly how many times. Anyway, he ended up violating his probation so many times they put him in prison for a year. It was really hard on the entire family. But now he is out and doing great. He hasn’t been in trouble a single time in the last 4 years.

I wish there was really an answer to this… its 100% true that if they dont wana change they wont and if they do change its still a life long battle… They themself need to find inner peace weather it be with God, Church, Prayin…

Sometimes there isnt rock bottom… ive been watchin a young boy now a man just on the street beggin… His family threw him out… Ive been to a few meetings and they go either 3 ways, 1-to jail 2-mental 3-ovadose…

jails just give them more drug connections and new dealers