How can I help my daughter learn?

Parents with 4 yo at home I just moved states and don’t have my daughter enrolled in school family watches her and tries going over things with her. my daughter has 9 letters in her name and can spell her name, abcs, 1-20 with me but with them she refuses and just says she wants me. Question what do I do is my daughter behind how can I help her.

5 Likes

Find learning games. Make it fun. That was the only thing that worked with my daughter. It worked well with her & that was before the Internet :blush:

Reading to her every day is an excellent way to prepare her for kindergarten. Start working on naming colors. And start working on tying her shoes. There are a lot of slip on and Velcro options these days, but, learning how to tie shoe laces helps with fine motor control skills.

2 Likes

kids love to mimic especially if there’s a reward involved. get other people to do these abcs and 123s and shapes and colors and give them a small reward and high praise then casually give her the opportunity to do so as well

In Utah we have a free preschool program called Waterford Upstart that even does free kids laptops that are downloaded with the software they do for 15 min a day. Maybe see if they have something similar in your state

1 Like

Just keep working with her when you can. Keep reading to her. Use car rides or outings to have fun learning also. What color is that car, or sign? Can you tell me what that number is on this building, and point to a number? Point out letters you see around. Also test to see if she understands descriptive words and is able to follow directions. Ex: can you get your shoes from “under” the bed? Can you get your ball “behind” the couch? Can you put this “inside” the trash? I know it sound silly, but not all children just instinctively pick up on these things. You can have her count how many grapes she has, or whatever. Just use real life experiences and whatever time you have with her, to teach her things, in a fun way.

My kids are older but I would start reading to her and counting higher. At 4 they can start adding & subtracting with blocks, tracing letters and learning to write, working on letter sounds. If your child is going straight to kindergarten I’d look up some learning activities online. They teach more in prek now than they used to.

Let your kiddo settle before everyone starts pushing for things from her. She 4yo with a new home and life situation she’s gonna need time. Maybe they can work on other things like painting, sensory stuff, etc.

6 Likes

All kids learn at their own pace🙃 she’s not behind in my opinion
I foster my grand daughter who is four n we use flash cards n just throughout our day teach her what we can n how to say things n what they are n they r very smart at that age they learn fast n pick up on everything

Let her watch Sesame Street it’s a great learning experience for children

2 Likes

Give whoever watches her games that involve learning so she’s having fun while doing it.

1 Like

Kids learn everyday. Play is teaching her so many things.

My older 2 kids could barely recite the alphabet at 4 lol. She’s definitely not behind. Kids this age learn best through play. Reciting the alphabet while jumping rope, counting during hopscotch, using songs while reading, ect.
If it makes you feel better, my oldest was actually behind. She had to go to a developmental preschool. Nothing seemed to click with her and she was so shy she literally wouldn’t talk. She’s 17 now. She’s a junior at a nationally ranked charter school, and a member of national honor society. Once she got in school, she became more social and willing to learn. So even Kids that are considered behind before starting, I believe it should be taken with a grain of salt. Regular school is just a whole different environment and a lot of kids flourish once they are there.

2 Likes

But she is not behind stop pushing and let her get comfortable then go back to instructed learning would be my opinion

6 Likes

She perfectly fine where she’s at stop pressuring her. Let her adjust to her new surroundings

2 Likes

They are learning through their play. Don’t force them to do anything they are interested in or she’s going to push back and not retain anything. Let her be she’s still a baby.

1 Like

Wow she is 4 years old it is not that serious. She has her whole life ahead of her. Chill lady

Easy young one. You daughter apparently is fine. She is only 4 yrs.old - find age appropriate fun books. If you force her she may have problems “wanting“ to learn. Read with & to her. Make learn fun not a chore.

Dude she’s 4 years old! Let her be for now because once she’s in school she’s going to be under enough of stress and pressure trust me

3 Likes

Well, she’s not behind if she knows these things. She gets enough curriculum with you and doesn’t want to with other people. She’s fine, let her be 4.