How can I help my daughter transition with new baby?

Just had my son on April 6th. Our 3.5 year old daughter is struggling hard. Screaming tantrums about everything, being beyond difficult, regressing, etc. We are making sure to spend at least 1 or 2 hr one on one with her every day, reminding her that she’s still our baby and the most important girl to us, taking her to do fun things (ice cream yesterday, fishing with daddy today), etc.Any tips on how to make this transition easier for us all? I don’t want to keep fighting with her and locking myself in the bathroom afterwards so I can sob

2 Likes

Congrats on the baby :heart: also my lil bro bday is 4/6 lol … keep doing the one on one time but also include her with taking care of the baby so she feels needed as well

1 Like

It sounds like you’re doing great. Keep giving her one on one when you can and using reassuring words and validation.
Having a newbie is tough even without the additional worries but rest assured in the phrase “this too shall pass”.
It will. I promise.
Make sure you and hubby are working together to give each of you some time to relax if you can. Hang in there.

Always make sure she knows it is her baby and she needs to help with everything to take care of her baby. Involving her while showing her and the baby love is the most important thing to do

1 Like

It is definitely important to spend time with her one on one, but include her as well. Let her “help” you when it comes to changing, feeding, dressing and bathing the baby. You can even have her “babysit”.

My twins were a bit older than her when my son was born, but I would let them bring me the diaper and wipes, or pick out his outfit. I’d let her help shake his bottle or help hold his bottle. When he was in his swing, bouncer or play pen and I had to pee or go grab a drink or go make a bottle, they would “babysit” by sitting beside him. If he was asleep, they would just sit with him and come get me if he woke up. If he was awake they would sit with him and “entertain” him.

They really enjoyed being able to “help”!

2 Likes

It will get easier.
Let him help out some make him feel like he is important in helping his little sister and protecting her

Have her help you by getting daipers or wipes when it’s time for changes, have her help pick out babies clothes, bringing the pacifier, blanket, and if your bottle feeding let her put the scoops in after you measure. Just small task to help her feel included in the process

2 Likes

When I had my second baby my first was almost 3 and she helped with feeding her sister and picking out her outfits so she didn’t feel “left out” because of the new baby

I promise you it will change. We just had a new baby boy 4 months ago and our two year old girl regressed for a good month or more afterwards with screaming tantrums etc. We continued to introduce them, spend one on one time with her, and now she loves her baby brother and helps with small tasks

I let him help pick his sis clothes help with stuff buy baby stuff buy her stuff had personal time for just her to it will change its just new

When mine were exceptionally difficult I changed scenery. Took them outside to look for bugs or birds or anything. Don’t have to go far or long just change vibe and fight is over

Maybe have her help you with the baby include her as much as possible with the baby